Pumking | Southern Tier Brewing Company

good
Read the review
PumkingPumking

Aroma Hops: Sterling

Added by BeerBeing on 08-26-2007

Ratings: 7,506 |  Reviews: 1,952

4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

Just had a fresh 2012 and pulled a 1 year old 2011 out of the cellar. the 2011 wins.
appearance: Orange and hazy like a beer brewed with pumpkin puree out to be.
smell: Out fo this world. Smells like a great pumpkin pie. I swear I even smell the graham cracker crust. All the usual pumpkin suspects, spices.
taste: Just delish. Pumpkin pie in an adult creamy beverage.
overall: amazing achievement. Bravo Southern Tier. Alcohol is imperceptible.

4.25/5  rDev +6%

2.94/5  rDev -26.7%

Crisp up front with a very pumpkiny finish. Pours about the same color as a marzen with an excellent aroma. Overall a bit too sweet for me on the finish but a good novelty beer. I still prefer Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin to any other pumpkin beer I’ve tried.

2.5/5  rDev -37.7%

4.52/5  rDev +12.7%

This is a great pumpkin beer. It certainly has enough competition but it's the best I've had. It really looks like a pumpkin, it has that perfect orange tint. You can really smell and taste the pumpkin in the beer. It's been said before but I'll say it again, the beer really benefits from the real pumpkin in it. The mouthfeel is perfectly creamy.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

3.79/5  rDev -5.5%

A: Pale, light orange. Relatively translucent. I wouldn't call this a "rich" colored beer by any means. Goes with the autumn season though.

S: I do love the smell. Whipped cream, butter, pie crust, pumpkin. No real detectable spices in my opinion. Very smooth aroma.

T: Nice melange of: whipped cream, buttery pie crust, pumpkin, some vanilla. Not heavily spiced with cinnamon or allspice or nutmeg etc like a lot of pumpkin ales. This one is definitely different than a lot of the others to me.

M: A little syrupy but this improves as it warms. Definitely a palate coater. ABV is well hidden to me but does come in slightly on the back end.

Overall, I do enjoy Pumking but it is not at the top of my pumpkin ale list like it is for a lot of other people. It is a different brew than the other, more heavily spiced pumpkin ales for sure. Enjoyable but there are still a few others that I would choose over this one if given the choice (Schlafly and Good Gourd to name a couple). Overall a solid brew.

4.77/5  rDev +19%

Crystal clear orange/copper colored beer with a slowly diminishing creamy white head.

Wow! Something I've never come across in the aroma. I would describe it as a striking buttery sweetness. There's also a slight spiciness that may be coming from the hops, or actual spices. There's a lot going on the aroma department. And it's hard to explain. Very unusual, but I like it.

The spice really comes through in the flavor. There's no doubt there are a significant amount of spices in this beer. The sweet malty character (along with the pumpkin) comes through as you swallow. But the spices remain in your mouth in between sips.

A smooth, creamy mouthfeel. A slightly tickling carbonation. Heavy bodied with a everlasting finish that is simultaneously sweet and bitter.

It's very clear that I need to buy another bottle or two before it goes out of season. This is a really special beer that you must try if given the opportunity.

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

4.33/5  rDev +8%

A - light orange with a huge, soft, dense, white head

S - pie crust, pumpkin, very little if any spices

T - pie crust, whip cream, pumpkin, nutmeg, some cinnamon

M - medium bodied, smooth, well carbonated

I really enjoyed this beer. In the past I had said that there were vanilla notes that I didn't like and the spices were too intense. That doesn't seem to be the case with the 2012 batch. The pie crust and whip cream notes were fantastic. I'm not sure how ST pulled that off, but I'm impressed. This was an all around great beer.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

4.4/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

APPEARANCE: The pour reveals the pumpkin paradigm: orange/amber with a somewhat loose white topper.

AROMA: I've pulled a lot of pumpkin beer aroma through my schnauz over the years but have to say that I appreciate what Southern Tier's done with this one. Instead of have to sniff through typically overdone spicing, although the clove/cinnamon/allspice trio is certinaly there, so are the other requisite elements including malt and pumpkin. I also appreciate the somewhat raw, "in the dirt" earthiness in this one that lends a lot of authenticity to a pumpkin patch brew.

FLAVOR: Pumpking stands out in the flavor department too, primarily because it doesn't come across as an amber ale on spicy steriods. Again, like in the aroma, the spices are held in check and allow for the more subtle pleasantries such as the malt and pumpkin to come through and share a bit of the stage with the rest of the ingredients. I also appreciate the more authentic, almost raw pumpkin essence in this one. Absent is that sappy, syrupy, heavy sweet center that I find in many other examples in this broad style. I get some dough, crust, and vanilla character as well, and if ginger's an element it lends more of a light ginger snap sensation than what I'd expect out of a healthy dose of raw root in the beer. The bitterness is ample, but not crowding.

MOUTHFEEL: I also appreciate this beer's delicacy on the palate. It's not a heavyweight like many of the others and I easily drank the entire 22 ounce bomber bottle without feeling full. The carbo is decent and in the middle in both the bottle and draft versions I've tried.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: If you enjoy a good pumpkin beer but tire of the in your face stuff and the heavies, this is a good reach. Given some of the interesting twists in Pumpking, it's much more interesting than other examples I've had. Neophytes to the style might find it a bit on the funky side, but I'll be chasing down more of this stuff.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

3.92/5  rDev -2.2%

A- Pours a light orange amber with a good deal of carbonation. Looks as you would imagine a pumpkin beer should with a bright white head that reaches between one and two fingers.

S-Not much pumpkin to be had in the nose, which frankly is just fine with me. Vanilla is very apparent as is both cinnamon and nutmeg, the muted pumpkin notes are there, but they are mixed in heavily with the malts.

M-Crisp and welcoming. Easy to drink but neither hides nor advances any flavors.

T-Surprisingly tasty beer. I am not the biggest fan of pure pumpkin flavors as it is, and with that in mind this is probably my favorite pumpkin beer. The spices hit the palate first and create a deliciously sweet mixture of the aforementioned spices. This finishes rather quickly however and you are left with a less than desirable bitter pumpkin. The beer finishes clean, but rather watery.

O-Southern tier does a good job for their sweet, specialty beers. This is a prime example and my favorite pumpkin beer.

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company