Pumking | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Added by BeerBeing on 08-26-2007

firstprev| 7601-7625 | 7626-7650 | 7651-7675  | next → last
Ratings: 7,668 |  Reviews: 1,993
3.33/5  rDev -17.8%

9% ABV per label.I like the concept of the Imperial pumpkin ale but in the end it just didnt seem to hit home with me,poured into an impy pint glass a clear deep copper with some dark orange tint a thinner wispy head atop.Full on spice and alcohol in the aroma maybe even a bit much in the spice department,heavy cardamom and clove with a dose of vanilla bourbon it becomes a bit boozy after it warms a little.Spice and booze overpower the palate in my mind very spiced like the nose cardamom and clove with a lingering cinnamon that bourbon vanilla booze hits and hits hard making a bit tough to swallow after awhile for me some dryer toastiness tries to show thru but it faint.I think a little over the top for me I still like the concept but this was just to much for me.

4.54/5  rDev +12.1%

22oz poured into large snifter. Orange hue, small head , no lacing.

This beer smells like pumpkin pie , probably the finest example baring an actual pie.

The taste manages to hold on to the pumpkin pie flavor nicely. I also detect a sweet caramel/ cotton candy taste.

The body of this sweet beer manages to stay medium, decent carbonation.

Probably my favorite pumpkin ale so far , highly recommended.

4.55/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber, served in a goblet, as suggested on the bottle.

A - clear, copper color with a small white head that settled to a ring.

S - no second guessing here, this is a Pumpkin Ale fo' sure. Sweet Pumpkin bread aroma.

T - the "Great Pumking" has arrived! Delicious Pumpkin bread and nutmeg flavor. 9% abv is not detectable in any way, shape or form.

M - full bodied with perfect carbonation, very smooth.

D - very good after dinner beer. 9% abv will sneak up on the drinker, so savour the wonderful flavor of this brew carefully.

Final Note: It's no wonder that this is the #1 brew of this style. If you like Pumpkin Ale, this is one brew worth searching for or trading for, by far, the best Pumpkin Ale I've ever had.

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

10-1-08 - 4.5/5/4/4.5/4 - Interesting to see that non of my numbers are the same as last time. Honestly, I feel like the beer tastes quite differently. Look is fine - amber, crystal clear, with a big puffy head that dissolves slowly leaving a ton of lacing and a fine film. Nose is huge, one of the biggest I've ever smelt (and this doesn't ring a bell given my prior review). Huge spices, pumpkin pie, bread, nutmeg, caramel, some cookies. So much in the way of aromas that I can't even pin them all down. Taste is...well, this beer is huge. Huge pumpkin pie, nutmeg, spices, and caramel. Solid alcohol presence in there as well, which is no real surprise given the ABV. Mild hop presence on the finish. Flavor's amazing, although it doesn't quite live up to the aroma. Body is big, thick, and creamy on this one, with very subtle, smooth carbonation. Overall, a delicious beer, again, and totally deserving of the "Imperial" designation.

9-22-07 - 3.5/4.5/4.5/5/4.5 - Got this one because I've been consistently blown away by everything I've had from Southern Tier (save maybe the mediocre Tripel). I was not disappointed here. I'm not even a big pumpkin ale fan, but this one was just incredible. Pours a red-orange color, with a samll head that drops quickly, leaving no real lacing. Nose is crazy spices, nutmeg and some citrus. Flavors are similarly excellent - tons of full caramel malt, pumpkin, nutmeg, allspice. Light fruit flavors floating around. Great body, full and creamy, with perfect carbonation. Overall, I really loved this one. A great dessert beer.

4.52/5  rDev +11.6%

Folks, this is way better on tap. If you catch wind of it being on at your local watering hole, drink it. If you hear about it being on tap on some far distant establishment, this is worth the drive.

This beer, in my tulip, appears a clear, dare I say, pumpkin color. The head is a delicate film with a sizable collar.

Smells like a slice of freakin' pumpkin pie. Damn. Let me sniff this all night long. Nutmeg and allspice, pumpkin and brown sugar. Ahhhh! Amazing! It's so fresh and vibrant, there's really nothing on the market that I've had or have heard of that can compete. The quintessential pumpkin brew aroma.

On tap, it's much more smooth and sweet, but in the bottle it has all of the same robust autumnal spices and a surprisingly pronounced pumpkin, but there's a numbness to this one, almost as if a stale toast creeps in and flattens things out with a CO2 sting. Still, the flagrant pumpkin pie of this is simply amazing.

Feels light and clean, but a bit slick which works with the pie elements of this beer splendidly.

It's my favorite pumpkin beer, what can I say. Far better on tap.

4.59/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours brilliant copper tinged orange with a quickly disappearing white head.

Smells exactly like a freshly baked pumpkin pie. Toasty, spicy, absolutely fantastic.Ginger, allspice.

Doughy, biscuit flavor, balanced pumpkin pie spice, a perfect sweetness, even a little butter, which works here. Leaves a spicy tingle in the back of the throat.

Full bodied and smooth as silk, one of the tastiest pumpkin ales I've had.

3.95/5  rDev -2.5%

Edit for the 2009 version.

The mouthfeel is much improved from the 2007, with a nice fullness. The harshness from the spice is also gone, but now there is a dominant flavor of cinnamon. It still has more pumpkininyness than most examles of the style that rely entirely on spice. However, I find the level of cinnamon prevents it from being anything more than a bomber to share at a party. I will put aside a bottle and hope the cinnamon mellows in 2 months for Turkeyday.

Pours, oddly enough, pumpkin orange. Mild head, I reccomend a hard pour.
Smell is very grainy and cerealish, in a good way, maybe fruitloops. I interpret it as more pumpkin than spice. The taste is more of the same in the front and middle, but with a bitter harshness at the back from the spicing. I love the odor and first 2/3 of the taste experience, but the spice bitterness is not a pleasant one (and I like bitterness from hops and roasted malt). Also, the mouthfeel is a bit watery.
I find the alcohol to be well hidden, but I knocked the drinkability of the harshness of the spicing.

I had higher ratings at first but knocked them down as I drank and wrote.

If you at all like pumpkin beers, this is different enough from the typical to be worth seeking out.

4.77/5  rDev +17.8%

I got the chance to taste this at KClinger's tavern in Hanover, PA.
Served cool in a standard pint glass.
A - A very clear light amber w/ golden highlights. The head is practically absent w/ some scatterd signs of lace.

S - Great spiced pumpkin aroma! Lots of vanilla, nutmeg w/ light clove scents.

M - Med/full w/ a spiced feel up front and creamy mild finish w/ low carbonation.

T - Excellent, way decent flavor of spice and pumpkin working in synergy. There is a gentle hop flavor that accompanies the gentle malt taste - like an English pale matched w/ brown sugar and pumpkin spices. Smooth texture as it swirls around the tongue w/ a soft sweet flavor. This is the beer I came to drink: A great tasting pumpkin flavor that makes you think "pumpkin pie in a glass". It has a ball of pumpkin spices which bring vanilla custard and nutmeg to mind first, then a blend of spice w/ a smooth ale maltiness. The fresh malt and middle of spice w/ a well placed hop flavors are punctuated by a malty finish that is clean.

D - Extremely tasty, possibly the best pumpkin ale I have tasted yet. The smell is like a pumpkin candle very fragrant and drawing you in each time. The mouthfeel and taste work together to make it a consistently excellent ale from first sip to last. I would definitely love a case of this. The spice is used conservatively, and with great skill making this very easy to quaff, absolutely great.

3.23/5  rDev -20.2%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a crystal clear golden-orange body with a yellowish-white head of creamy foam. The foam layers on the glass with each sip.

S-The big smell of pumpkin pie has smells of cream and custard with a big graham malt with strong honey malt notes.

T- This beer has a big, I mean HUGE pumpkin pie with strong graham malt flavors which is so big it taste a bit chemical. There are notes of dried apples and a light hop bitterness in the finish.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a tight fizz in the finish that helps to clean up the finish.

D- This beer has a screaming big pumpkin flavor with spicy qualities that makes this truly an imperial pumpkin beer. I think I will be tasting pumpkin for days. It is so strong that it taste almost chemical and it is hard to finish the whole beer. The pumpking is so big it is offensive.

3.97/5  rDev -2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a 20oz imperial pint. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

A: Pours out a crystal clear orange-copper hue. Small head that recedes quickly to reveal a very still body.

S: Complex nose of toasted malt, pumpkin pie spices, baked pie crusts, and a sprinkle of brown sugar and/or molassas.

T: I was impressed, immediately, by the earthy roasted/toasted flavors that strike the tongue. Very fall-like. I would compare it to fresh oven roasted pumpkin seeds. Delicious.

M: Smooth and earthy. Slightly spicy and a little drying to the tongue.

D: Earthy and natural flavors and aromas combined with a surprisingly non-existant 9% abv make for a very drinkable beer. Very delicious!

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

I must state that this rating is based on style - not compared to all beers. I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin ales....until now.

Pours a light orange/amber color. two inches of white head on my pint glass. Leaves wispy white concentration on top as head goes away.

Nose is upfront attack of real pumpkin...not some spice bag or artificial pumpkin, this smells like a just opened can of pumpkin puree. A touch of spice too, but mostly pumpkin.

The first flavor note is pumpkin and never totally goes away, stays there to some degree all the way through. In the meantime, you get a touch of spice, a big wide reaching mouthfeel of sweet juicy malts, a refined bitterness.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but this is a pumpkin beer that works! I also can't beleive this is 9% abv. It's a good thing I'm sharing this bomber. Nice job Southern Tier and I hope more of your beers hit this market soon - I've enjoyed the IPA for a few years now on my annual visits to Buffalo.

3.3/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

I was really looking foward to this beer but was pretty dissapointed. My first pour from the bomber produced almost no head and no lacing, it was a sediment free reddish orange color. The smell was mostly hops and pumpkin pie spices. The flavor was much the same as the smell. The mouthfell was getting close to watery. I dont really think I would buy this again.

Overall I was pretty dissapointed, I dont really know what I was expecting put it wasnt this.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

I split a bomber of this with some good friends. I poured my portion in my Mikasa ale glass. Pours a definite pumpkiny copper color with a thin white head. The foam dissipates fairly quickly. Very clear and bubbly look to the beer. The minute I stick my nose in it, I'm hit with a sweet vanilla fragrance. It's almost overwhelming, but then the pureed pumpkin and the pie spices come through. Not a very balanced beer, but there's a lot to play with - and that's to be expected from a Pumpkin Ale. As we kept smelling the beer, one of the guys finally pointed out that the sweet smell is like the dollop of whipped cream on the pie. He couldn't be more right! The tastes really line up with the aromas. You could seriously pour this beer into a pie tin and call it pumpkin pie. Strong flavors of the pumpkin and the spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, clove), plus the creamy sweetness of the whipped cream. A bit bready (the crust, perhaps?), plus a slightly burnt flavor at the end, like burnt sugar. Medium creaminess to the beer - not as thick as a stout, but very creamy for an ale. It complements the sweet vanilla-y flavors perfectly. Overall, an awesome beer. I loved drinking it. It's perhaps a little too sweet, but a must for any fan of pumpkin ales.

4.84/5  rDev +19.5%

Served in a Belgian Tulip glass at Quotations Bar in Media, PA...

Being that it was Southern Tier night at said location, I was all set to start out with a painful IPA. The bar owner knowing my tastes recommended the Southern Tier Pumking and referred to it as ginger snaps in a glass. I call his description very accurate.

A - Nice amber color with an orangy pumpkinish hue, a nice two finger head which leaves quickly leaving a nice lace.

S: This is where the owners description starts as being accurate. Ginger, allspice, cinnamon and cloves are present. Hops and malt can be detected, but are in the back seat to the pumpkin aroma.

T: This is where the owners description is dead on accurate. This should NOT be served in a bar *kidding*. This should be served in a diner with whipped cream and a fork. Holy F, this stuff is good - think Pumpkin Pie - no lie, not just a hint of pumpkin, a full blast of pumpkin pie. The grain bill/hops definitely complement the flavor, but the spices dominate it - and in a good (great) way. WOW!!

M: Perfect carb for this beer to comp the taste. Hold this one in boys and enjoy the ride!

D: It wasn't until after my second pouring that I felt the bank coming from the ABV. Would never know this beer is 9%. Even after I knew, I couldn't stop - I didn't get 'Pumkined Out' like I do with every other pumpkin beer.

BY FAR - the best pumpkin ale I have had to date - I am not sure if it can get any better. Get your hands on this one if possible...

4.64/5  rDev +14.6%

What else but pumpkiny orange in color. Millions of minute bubbles are racing each other toward the thick bubbled white head that rests atop and fades quickly.

I've sampled this pumpkin ale a couple of times in the last few days and have tried many many pumpkin ales over the last two years (last year I traded for as many O-fest and pumpkins I could get for a O-fest party I had) and I must say this is by far the best pumpkin ale made and that I've tried too date and it will be difficult for a better one too ever appear, but I sure hope one does as I'd love to try it.

You smell this beer and realize I don't want to drink this I want to eat it. Or at least not quit smelling it. The closest thing in liquid form I've witnessed to an actual pumpkin pie or a gingerbread house. Full of graham cracker and gingerbread aromas with a smidgeon of toffee, that fades into all spice nutmeg and bits of pumpkin.

The mouth on this is second to none. Thick full and creamy with an everlasting finish. The flavors are basically identical to the nose. Graham cracker, gingerbread, nutmeg, allspice, toffee, and hidden pumpkin. For 9% it shows like 5%. Very easy going and so delicious. Truly the "pumking" of pumpkin ales. Too bad we didn't get more to sell. Not as ageworthy I'd guess as the Weyerbacher Imperial pumpkin but just waiting for Thanksgiving to have with dessert, as dessert or during a Thanksgiving day game. Go buy a few of these while it's around for that day or you may be sorry.

4.52/5  rDev +11.6%

edit: crazybrody06 gave Pumking a 3.3. He also rated a 12oz bottle of Newcastle a 4.2, and Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy a 4. I think that should be taken into consideration before taking his review seriously.

This was the best pumpkin ale I've had yet. I really enjoy Post Road and Smuttynose pumpkin, Dogfish Punkin and even Cottonwood Pumpkin was great on tap. But this blows them away. It has a flavor that the others cannot come close to. You can even taste the pie crust in it, it is really like pumpkin pie. The smell is just like a pumpkin pie candle, and I had to stop a few times just to enjoy the smell. The taste is outstanding. The alcohol is extremely well masked and the smell and taste really fool you. The spices really play a large part in the flavor, and I'm amazed at how well they went with this beer. Thanks to DrinkinBuddy and slagle9480 for this awesome pumpkin ale, and hats off to Southern Tier for really impressing me with this one. Highly recommended for any fan of pumpkin ales, this is my new favorite among the rest.

4.32/5  rDev +6.7%

This is the best pumpkin ale I've had to date. This outdoes any of the macrobrew versions and definitely competes with some of the badass micros.

It's like eating pumpkin pie.

There's a cinnamon/nutmeg-type taste at the end. I frickin love it.

Do yourself a favor. Get some Pumking.

Good job to Southern Tier.

4.32/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a nice orange/pumpkin color with little white head. Lacing doesn't last too long throughout the session. Smell is phenomenal, if you're a pumpkin fan, this is your brew.(fall has come early) Smell is definately reminiscent of pumpkin pie. Allspice, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger are all present in this brew, followed by a nice slight hoppy piney finish.(cascade) Mouthfeel is smooth with suttle carbination, but not much, not malty, little thin. Not bad though! Drinkability is definately good, but since this is a very sweet style, one is probably enough in itself. This is a 9.0 abv (imperial pumpkin ale) but the 9 is definately lost in the spices of the delicious pumpkin pie. Great brew!!!

firstprev| 7601-7625 | 7626-7650 | 7651-7675  | next → last