Pumking | Southern Tier Brewing Company

good
Read the review
PumkingPumking

Aroma Hops: Sterling

Added by BeerBeing on 08-26-2007

Reviews: 1,916 | Ratings: 7,352
3.91/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a slightly cloudy light orange with weak head. Well, ok, it smells like....pumpkin! Any spices are subtle and no sweetness. The ABV is well hidden, so watch out. The hops and malts are the backbone and that's all to the good, making it a solid ale with some factory installed options. We're not huge fans of fruit and vegtable beers. It's well done to the style, so rated to that standard.

3.8/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours clear orange, like a pumpkin-orange. Barely a head. Looks light and crisp.
Smells like pumpkin spice/ nutmeg/ pumpkin pie-like. Very, very nice though.
The taste is where it slides away for me. It's spicy and boozy. Sure there's sweet pumpkin flavor in there, but this is pretty abrasive. Feels medium-thin and low carbonated.
Okay as a pumpkin ale I guess, I just wish the alcohol was more hidden and the spices a little more tame. Just my preference.

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

If you make this your first pumpkin beer, there's almost nowhere to go but down. Beautiful amber/orange color. The scent is at Breakfast Stout level in that it's pretty much as enjoyable as drinking the brew. Brilliant, sophisticated array of scents of pumpkin, spices, pie crust, so well balanced and harmonious. Few beers offer an olfactory experience that's this magnetic. That smell is picked up in the taste in a seamless drinking experience. Pumpkin beers always struck me as a novelty style, so I was always skeptical and hesitant to try them. The first few I had were okay, New Belgium's Pumpkick is similar to this one, but much more cinnamon-leading. Pumking is in the absolute top tier of this niche style.

2.75/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Hazy bright orange, like food dye, plenty of carbonation. Smells sweet, with fake gourd notes and light baking spice. Flavor is... bad. Way too sweet and artificial, like pumpkin syrup, with no bitterness to balance it and hardly any spices to offer variety. There is a biscuit note on the finish, the only hint that this might be a beer. Light body, could be highly drinkable if it weren't for the rest of it.
I like pumpkin beers, a lot, and I am ok with sweetness, but this was an abomination. Artificial pumpkin, overdose of sugar- I felt a headache coming on after just a few sips. To its credit, it is better than Warlock.

3.34/5  rDev -16.7%

I wish I liked this more. It's quite close, but needs more body and seems to have the aroma and spice profile that better suited for a brown ale or even a porter. Overall, a good fall beer. Now it's time to move on from the pumpkin beers (there's SO many this year).

2.85/5  rDev -28.9%

This beer tasted ok but it has natural flavors added. If you are going to charge me $13 a six and call it a craft product you shouldn't need to add extra artificial or natural flavors. Very disappointed and will not have this again.

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Pour House, pours an orange-amber with minimal head and no lacing. Smell is phenomenal; perfect combination of caramel-fresh pumpkin and nutmeg, very smooth. The taste is primarily nutmeg, but the fresh pumpkin comes through as well, though I wish it were more pronounced. Slight cinnamon notes too. Mouthfeel is more highly carbonated than expected, but for an imperial it's easy to drink. A fall classic!

3.49/5  rDev -13%

Clear yellow in the glass with no head. It smells of good pumpkin spice. Tastes starts like it smells but quickly fads to a terrible light beer flavor. Flavor fads fast, very thin. I won't get this again.

3.44/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle at America on Tap
Brown sugary caramel maltiness with plenty of pie spices to cut through it, not the worst pumpkin beer I've ever had, might even like it in small doses.

2.66/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

I've had this beer in the past but, this year I think it's terrible. Very bitter after taste and not in a hoppy kind of way, just nasty bitter! I don't know if it's me or if they did something different this year.

1.39/5  rDev -65.3%

Entirely too sweet and chemically - tastes like they mixed in a pound of Sweet n Low + dry cleaning fluid. Avoid this like a rancid, post-Halloween pumpkin.

2.5/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

I like pumpkin beers to start and was excited as this is more or less the essential. I just did not like it because it was very perfume like and left a cloying grainy feeling.

4.41/5  rDev +10%

Starts out sweet on the tip of your tongue, then the spice in the center of your palate, finished with a little bitterness from the hops at the end. Just a pleasure to drink.

3.83/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle served in a snifter. Vibrant orange-gold in color with 1/2 a finger of bubbly, off-white foam. Sweet pumpkin spice, honey, and cinammon on the nose. Medium weight, albeit a tad thin for my liking. Straight up pumpkin-pie on the taste initially. As it warms, I get notes ofcinammon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract. Ok finish. Coulda been better, coulda been worse. Lots of spice on the back end and aftertaste.

I suppose I'm just not a pumpkin beer guy. While this wasn't bad at all, it just didn't live up to the hype for me.

3.58/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

In general, pumpkin beers are just an extension of pumpkin lattes. This is true for this beer, but at least it's better than most.

Spiced, but not annoyingly so. Sweet, but not cloying. Lingering taste, which is a bit much.

Not one of my top three, but good.

4.04/5  rDev +0.7%

Well my search for pumpkin beers are over. While some people like more of a no frills pumpkin beer I want my beer like a piece of pumpkin pie. This beer fits the bill. The spices and taste are right on with being as close to pumpkin pie as I have had. This beer is not overt sweet to me and is a joy to drink. I am glad they released this in a four pack this year so I can drink it more often without having to commit to a bomber. This beer is going to be in my fridge throughout Thanksgiving.

4.9/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pumpkin Rating: Pie!
Drink Again: I want another one right now
The person that sold me this beer said it wasn't just a pumpkin taste: it was the whole pie. This is 100% true. It's hard not to sip this beer slowly because it's so good: there's a kind of elegant fragrance all the way through and a kind of thick creamy scent at the end. I need more.

4.06/5  rDev +1.2%

Had a couple of these on draught last weekend and bought this bottle to follow up with at home. Poured from a 22oz bomber into my tulip glass. pours a deep golden orange color. The nose is of the pumpkin spices, cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon. There is a deep roasted pumpkin overtone. The taste is more of the great roasted pumpkin not great over shadowed by the spices. A very nicely done pumpkin beer and the 8.6 ABV is well hidden.

1.62/5  rDev -59.6%

Wow. This is one nasty beer. Tasted like an artificial flavored gummy bear or jelly bean.

Pumpkin pie crust in a beer? This has it. Various pumpkin pie spice "flavors" but chemical in nature.

I could not get past the artificial nastiness to take any other "qualities" serious.

I will never buy this again. Blech.

2.67/5  rDev -33.4%

Pros: I actually taste the pumpkin pie crust. Nice
Good malt flavor
Enough alcohol to help you put the cons in the back of your mind

Cons: Tastes artificial and chemical. This dissipates somewhat as the brew warms, but could be from the alcohol. I think it might also be from the interaction between the hops and the flavor compounds as it is bitter and astringent.

Decent beer offset by a fuel-like chemical flavor. Probably the alcohol. I would just as soon drink a bud light.

4.58/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer smelled of pumpkin pie and spice. The beer poured a dark golden brown with a one inch head and left a nice lacing in the glass. I am not an overall fan of the style of beer but found this one to be drinkable with a nice flavor.

4.26/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

By far my favorite pumpkin beer. The smell and taste are pure pumpkin pie - flavors of pumpkin, allspice, nutmeg, crust - delicious. There is no subtlety here! The only knock is that the feel is a bit thin and lifeless - could use more carb and a creamier feel.

3.16/5  rDev -21.2%

From the 22 ounce bottle, it pours golden with a tiny head. Virtually no lacing. A few thin streams continue to stream up as you enjoy the beer. Pumpkin in the nose and spices in the mouth. Interesting, but not overwhelming.

4.4/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Lots of character here. Pumpkin comes out in the nose, but hops take over the taste. I like the complexity and mouthfeel overall is pretty good. 8 plus with still good drinkability - it's on the short list of pumpkins.

3.07/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Yet another over hyped under delivering beer that's been blown up by fanboys on BA.

Was excited to try this because I don't get Southern Tier in SoCal.

Poured it into a pint glass. Beer was very clear, light amber color. Aggressive pour yielded a C+ head, that receded quickly. Poor head retention and zero lacing throughout the session.

Beer smelled good. This was the only positive note of the session. Lots of pumpkin and spice.

Flavor did not match the smell. Bitter fusel alcohols, heavy metal, and a hint of spice. To the beer's credit, the alcohols and heavy metal subsided once the beer reached room temperature.

This beer is quite dry, and quite carbonated. It did not match well with the flavor. I feel like the flavors in a pumpkin beer would be better suited for a heavier mouth feel, and a little bit less carbonation. I like a nice dry IPA, but a pumpkin beer? Why?

Overall this was very disappointing. I've come to ignore the hype of BA, but I expect more from Southern Tier.

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company