Pumking | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Added by BeerBeing on 08-26-2007

Ratings: 7,603 |  Reviews: 1,980
3.67/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Well I remember thinking this beer was the cat's pajamas about two years ago. I distinctly remember marveling over how "authentic" the pumpkin flavors were...
But now I'm disappointed. Maybe there's been a dip in quality from Southern Tier, or maybe my tastes have changed. Either way, this beer was something I'd been looking forward to and was subsequently disappointed by.
Look is typical fall ale: orangey/red. Nice.
Smell had me going for a second. I could practically smell the graham cracker crust...
Taste fell through majorly. It wasn't a bad drink, and I'd like to try it from the tap to see the difference...but the 8-point-something-alcohol percentage isn't hidden at all, leaving an acrid astringency. Not wholly awful, but not great.
Mouthfeel was fine.
I suggest you try it, form your own opinion, but the alcohol--instead of warming pleasently like a rich Belgian Tripel--seemed to scratch and deaden the flavors. 3ish/5

3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

3.92/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

This is the king of pumpkin beers so far in fall 2017, cinnamon around the glass makes it all the better. Strong AF, drink slowly. Feels lighter than it actually is.

4.39/5  rDev +8.4%

3.58/5  rDev -11.6%

Had a taste at tavern in the square on tap. Just came in. Tasted magical. Picked up a 4 pack from bj's. Didn't taste quite the same. Smell, feel, look are fine. 2016 brew date. Hmm. Freshness counts. Not bad. Better when fresh. (Duh.)

4.24/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a slightly hazy gold with foamy head that fades fast and no lacing. Smells wonderful, like a bakery full of pumpkin, crust, nutmeg, and cinnamon. The taste follows the nose, very sweet beer but very nice, its not over the top but rich feeling, very smooth and easy to consume. Would call this a light medium beer, pretty decent stuff.

3.55/5  rDev -12.3%

I'm not a beer snob. If I like something, I like something, if I don't, I don't and I say so. This looks good and feels good but, I really care for these taste. Not something I'm going to buy any time again soon.

4.07/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.63/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.34/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed this, definitely smelled and tasted the pumpkin. Also the alcohol content was 8.6%, but was surprising mild tasting. Want a this again!

4.32/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.21/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Mostly see through golden with an orange tinge and slight head. Lots of carbonation bubbles seen rising. The scent from the bottle really concentrates malt and pumpkin and I enjoy this smell. That scent can really be tasted on the ending of this beer. What strikes me is the range of flavor from this beer. Initial flavor starts slightly sweet and changes to spice and then to pumpkin and malt in the finish. I get some heat with this beer as I sit here along with some sight back of the palate bitterness. Medium feel with slightly less carbonation. This is a powerful and unique brew. Pretty good.

3.85/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.54/5  rDev -12.6%

Flavors of spices and bubblegum.

3.84/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear, coppery color with a minimal amount of off-white head that faded quickly leaving a tiny bit of lacing. Smells of pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and caramel. Taste is sweet. Bread up front, a little caramel flavor, notable pumpkin flavor, some hop bitterness throughout, finish is stronger pumpkin pie flavor. Medium body, medium carbonation. The balance feels a touch off. The more I drink, the less prominent the pumpkin pie flavor is. I can see where the cult classic has followed, it's certainly a good beer, maybe something I'd like about once a year though.

3.89/5  rDev -4%

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

4.13/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.96/5  rDev +22.5%

Great seasonal imperial by Souther Tier. Poured into snifter from 12oz bottle. Poured clear copper color with aromas of spices and pumpkin. Tastes like it smells, pumpkins and spices. Very smooth going down with medium carbonation. So far my favorite pumpkin ale.

4.28/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

3.67/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

What glassware haven't I had this in over the years and every time it always turns out the same way. Here's my observations based on this cult classic:
The appearance was a semi-dark murky rust/copper color with a finger's worth of white foamy to fizzy head. What lace there was just slid right on into the beer and that wasn't really that much.
The aroma had some pumpkin pie crust/bready sweetness up front. Sweet pumpkin extract. Barely any pumpkin pie spice.
The flavor was mainly sweet through the pumpkin extract and pie crust. Light vanilla proceeded in and around the overall taste. Aftertaste was the pumpkin pie.
The mouthfeel was almost medium bodied with a fair sessionability about it. Carbonation felt fine. ABV felt appropriate. It's quite smooth along my tongue.
Overall, to me, I'm not a part of this "cult classic" as I tend to lean towards other pumpkin ales before this as I don't find this to be as "balanced" as many others on the market. If there was some more "spice" to it, perhaps, some pumpkin pie spice, maybe some ginger, allspice, or cinnamon that would help make it better to me. Also, I tend to look for more of the true "flesh"-like quality of pumpkin instead of the "extract" which is only the sweetness of the pumpkin along with some brown sugar.

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company