Pumking | Southern Tier Brewing Company

good
Read the review
PumkingPumking

Aroma Hops: Sterling

Added by BeerBeing on 08-26-2007

Reviews: 1,916 | Ratings: 7,352
3.06/5  rDev -23.7%

The beer looks nice for a pumpkin...a nice amber/orange color. Not much head, but I poured slowly, dividing between two Chimay chalices.

The smell was overwhelmingly hazelnut, mixed with nutmeg and a bit of cinnamon.

Unfortunately, the hazelnut dominated the flavor, as well. Aside from thay, the beer was ok. Sweet, but not cloying, moderate spice flavor. I didn't taste any pumpkin.

Mouthfeel was good...decent body...right amount of carbonation.

This beer was not very drinkable. The nuttiness didn't work for me. That combined with the sweetness was a bit much. I shared this bottle (22oz bomber) with one friend. I found myself wishing that I had shared with 2 or 3.

4.8/5  rDev +19.7%

I have read a lot about this beer and really couldn't imagine a pumpkin beer being so much to rave about. But I saw it in my liqour store and grabbed one. 22 oz bottle poured into a Sam Adams fluted beer glass.
I have to say that it lives up to the hype. A real nice flavor that does not knock you over with pumpkin and cinnamon but just has a subtle touch of these on a real nice strong ale base.
I was thinking pumpkin ice cream from my favorite homemade ice cream shop. Sweet and creamy with a hint of pumpkin.
At 9% alcohol a single 22 oz bottle makes a real nice fall nightcap. I've been impressed with Southern Tier's quality. The Old Man Winter I tried earlier this week is also very nice.

3.93/5  rDev -2%

A; Pours a clear orange/tan color with a low, just-barely-off white head.

S: Not a lot of spice on the nose...it actually kinda smells like pie dough. More of a buttery biscuit smell than what I expected.

T: The taste carries over that biscuit-like flavor from the nose and also adds some spicy notes and a little heat from the alcohol.

M: Medium bodied with a light carbonation

D: This is one of the more interesting takes on a pumpkin beer I've had. They didn't go for the pumpkin pie flavor that many breweries do by adding spices. According to the bottle it's only malts, pumpkin and hops. The pumpkin flavor on it's own is harder to pick out than that of the spices associated with the pie. Overall though I found this beer enjoyable once I got past my expectation of "pie" flavor.

4.18/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Pint glass

A: Amber with moderate carbonation, head turns into a lacing. The beer is clear with some haze

S: Pumpkin pie, bread, cinnamon, pumpkin spice, sugar, it smells amazing. A pumpkin pie in a glass.

T: Wow, there's a lot of flavor here. You get a huge taste of all the spices and the taste of pumpkin puree is there. You can definitely taste the alcohol but there's enough flavor to coat it. You can also taste a lot of sweetness similar to that of molasses. It's very bready at the end as well.

MF: Medium body that leaves a bready aftertaste as well as some alcohol. Not bitter at all. It's well carbonated so expect to belch quite a few times.

O: I thought this beer was awesome. The alcohol flavor is a little off putting but the smell and the other flavors are quite a treat. This is definitely one of the more bolder pumpkin beers around and if you're looking for something this fall with a kick, at 8.5% abv, this is it.

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

poured into my snifter

A- it is a clear orange with a nice head that goes away but sticks to the sides of the class. you can see a lot of carbonation coming from this beer.

S- Pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon, a lot of roast and spicy too it. It pretty much smalls like a fresh pumpkin pie.

T/M- You get a lot of pumpkin up front then the nutmeg and cinnamon come in. Then you get the roast with nice hop bitterness to end it.

O- This is a beer I buy every year once it is released and it is great every time.

2.33/5  rDev -41.9%

A - Very orange appearance with not much head and a little white lacing

S - Smells like pumpkin pie crust, can definitely smell the caramel malts, and some cinnamon vanilla, and alcohol... the smell was decent at first then it became almost sickening later on

T - Caramel Malts, again with the pie crust, somewhat bitter for some reason, the alcohol was kind of the elephant in the room, and there was a little vanilla on the finish

M - Nicely carbonated and an average mouthfeel

D - Honestly to me it wasn't very drinkable

I am glad i split it with a friend it would've been hard to finish... I felt like I was drinking on my mother's favorite Yankee candle... though I can see why people may like this beer and find it interesting I'm much happier with Akron's Pumpkin Ales at my disposal

4.69/5  rDev +17%

I really enjoyed this brew. I read the guidelines on the side, about comparing personal taste with the brewers style in mind. This beer is the perfect mix between the two. From what I can tell, the Southern Tier expressed themselves perfectly as well as matching my own tastes.

So, the beer:
A - Clear, a little lighter than the color of a real pumpkin

S - Reminds me of nothing but pumpkin pie. A dominant pumpkin smell is there, with just the right amount of sweetness and spiciness.

T - Just the same as the aroma. When I smelled this beer I really hoped the taste would match (which is not the case frequently). There's a very strong pumpkng flavor with some sweetness and spiciness.

M - A bit in the middle. I would have liked it just a little heavier.

D - I bought a 24oz bottle and I think I could drink three or four of them.

3.49/5  rDev -13%

Lighter color orange than expected for a big brew.
Smells of butterscotch, caramel, pumpkin. Outstanding complexity.
Tastes like various coffee creamers (amaretto, Irish cream) poured over pumpkin pie.
Feels very buttery in the mouth, and the sweetness becomes difficult to handle.
Halfway through my half a bomber I looked forward to not having to drink this anymore.

4.12/5  rDev +2.7%

1/2 Gallon Growler poured into a pint.

A: Clear Amber color with a slightly orangish hint. About half an inch of head. Left a nice coating on top the beer.

S: A maltly and sweet taste with spicy notes. The malt has a buttery smell to it, like the crust on a pumpkin pie. Excellent aroma, I want my house to smell like this.

T: There is no doubt about it, this beer tastes strong. You can taste the alcohol, but that is not a bad thing. It adds to the flavor. This is unlike any pumpkin ale I have had. Most pumpkin ales taste like just beer with spices, it's a hard style to do well. This has those spices but with a nice smooth malt taste that meld really well together. The malts used give it this flavor like buttery flaky pie crust. It's like liquid pumpkin pie. It has a hop bite to it finish it off. This is just an excellently balanced beer.

M: Medium mouthfeel with low carbonation, which I believe adds to this great fall beer.

D: Personally I could drink this beer all the time, however due to the higher alcohol content some people may only have one or two.

This is one of the best fall beers around. It is so unique and tasty, I think that any type of beer drinker should give it a shot.

1.24/5  rDev -69.1%

Alright, so I've given this beer a go multiple times over the last 3 years, and I still just don't understand. I can tolerate pumpkin beers, but this one just isn't for me.

22oz bomber poured to a tulip.

A: Flat, dull orangey color. Light, frothy, but thin, almost non-existent head. Colors are promising and reminiscent of autumn leaves.

A: Pie crust with some corn and deep vanilla scents hit my nose. Very off-putting smell. Artificial sugars, cereal, & marshmallow. Butterscotch notes. Popcorn jellybeans? Vanilla frosting? Yuck.

T: Alcohol and popcorn meld with a creamy, and overly rich vanilla. Way too sweet. Condensed milk and sugary overwhelm my tongue like Cap'n Crunch milk and vanilla frosting. Candy corn, buttery thickness dominates the finish. Hard to choke down, strong vanilla, more butter, corn syrup…. Each bottle has always been this same mess, lacking drinkability and spice.

MF: Feels like I'm drinking coconut milk or something. Hard to swallow, buttery and a cloying sweetness.

O: I don't understand how this is considered one of the best pumpkin beers out there. Pretty disgusting, and a drain pour 3 years running. I'm done trying to give this one a chance.

Skip it.

3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

Edit for the 2009 version.

The mouthfeel is much improved from the 2007, with a nice fullness. The harshness from the spice is also gone, but now there is a dominant flavor of cinnamon. It still has more pumpkininyness than most examles of the style that rely entirely on spice. However, I find the level of cinnamon prevents it from being anything more than a bomber to share at a party. I will put aside a bottle and hope the cinnamon mellows in 2 months for Turkeyday.

Pours, oddly enough, pumpkin orange. Mild head, I reccomend a hard pour.
Smell is very grainy and cerealish, in a good way, maybe fruitloops. I interpret it as more pumpkin than spice. The taste is more of the same in the front and middle, but with a bitter harshness at the back from the spicing. I love the odor and first 2/3 of the taste experience, but the spice bitterness is not a pleasant one (and I like bitterness from hops and roasted malt). Also, the mouthfeel is a bit watery.
I find the alcohol to be well hidden, but I knocked the drinkability of the harshness of the spicing.

I had higher ratings at first but knocked them down as I drank and wrote.

If you at all like pumpkin beers, this is different enough from the typical to be worth seeking out.

2.78/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

pumpkin beer? no, this is a spiced malt beverage. immediately blown away by a vanilla aroma and tons of pie spices. "pumpkin" flavor is pretty neutral, this does not taste like pumpkin at all. your palate is just blasted by fizzy vanilla and pumpkin pie spices so much it barely seems like beer. not impressed at all.

edit:
this guy describes it well, "almost like an over spiced pumpkin cheese cake" he liked it, i didn't. to each their own, that's the beauty of beer!

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a nice orange/pumpkin color with little white head. Lacing doesn't last too long throughout the session. Smell is phenomenal, if you're a pumpkin fan, this is your brew.(fall has come early) Smell is definately reminiscent of pumpkin pie. Allspice, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger are all present in this brew, followed by a nice slight hoppy piney finish.(cascade) Mouthfeel is smooth with suttle carbination, but not much, not malty, little thin. Not bad though! Drinkability is definately good, but since this is a very sweet style, one is probably enough in itself. This is a 9.0 abv (imperial pumpkin ale) but the 9 is definately lost in the spices of the delicious pumpkin pie. Great brew!!!

3.06/5  rDev -23.7%

Appearance - poured a copper color with a medium thick fluffy white head that faded quick left little lace
Smell - The nose on this beer reminded me of pumpkin pie. More of the spice and not so much the pumpkin. The pumkin was their but not as strong as the spice in it.
Taste - Very true to the nose. The pumpkin came out more and more as the beer warmed. Also picked up something sweet in the taste maybe some brown sugar.
Mouthfeel - Creamy and smooth with medium carbonation.
Drinkability - Not bad the at 1st but the spice in this one was just to much for me. Iwould not buy this one again.

3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

A/ dark yellow amber

S/ a lot of pumpkin,dark caramel

T/ pumpkin pumpkin strange taste for us dutch

M/ the pumpkin stays in your mouth strange beer but i like it

D/ good but not more than one or two the taste is quite out there and is dominant.

for us dutch its a strange beer we dont taste pumkin that mutch.

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On tap served in a tulip glass at Vagabond in Atlantic City, NJ.

A: A bright, transparent orange. Just a brilliant and beautiful color. One and a half fingers of white head that disappeared quickly.

S: So much vanilla. I was addicted to the smell and found myself taking a waft before every sip. Nutmeg and spices are apparent underneath all of the vanilla.

T: The vanilla is right there on the tongue. Certainly a unique spin on pumpkin beers, which usually are heavy in brown sugar and pumpkin spices.

M: A little disappointing. The flavor didn't linger much after each sip.

Overall: Excellent pumpkin beer. Not the best I've had but it's well up there and certainly going to be on my to-drink-again list.

4.24/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Tastes like pumpkin pie. I taste a lot of pie crust, a buttery, flaky type of flavor. A lot of pumpkin spices. I feel like the pie crust flavor was most noticible. Also worth noting is that everything tasted natural. No artificial like flavoring to be had here.

3.3/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

I was really looking foward to this beer but was pretty dissapointed. My first pour from the bomber produced almost no head and no lacing, it was a sediment free reddish orange color. The smell was mostly hops and pumpkin pie spices. The flavor was much the same as the smell. The mouthfell was getting close to watery. I dont really think I would buy this again.

Overall I was pretty dissapointed, I dont really know what I was expecting put it wasnt this.

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

I'm still on the fence about Fruit/Vegetable beers. This was an unexpected, very gracious offering from the owner at one of my favorite little bottle stores. I split the bottle with him ...

22 oz. bomber into 6 oz. sample stanges.
Pours a beautiful clear copper with a sparse head & perforated lacing that disappears quickly.

S ~ Unique & very appealing. Warm pumpkin muffins, cinnamon, clove, allspice & citrus rind.

T ~ Follows the nose with pumpkin bread, smokey nuts, maybe walnuts? & pistachio!? Caramel corn?? There's a crisp, pleasing citrus after taste. The 9% ABV is well concealed & briefly noted on the swallow.
As the beer warmed I thought I caught a bit of bubblegum? Not too sweet...with a crisp, clean finish & a peppery note.

M ~ Fuller than I anticipated. Sparkling & crisp.
Not too heavy or syrupy. The refreshing finish is astringent & just right.

D ~ The drinkability of this offering is simply magical & is diminished ONLY by the ABV.
Very approachable. I'm sure it would pair well with food as well as a cool fall evening. A bewitching seasonal offering that I plan on revisiting again in the near future...BEFORE the next full moon.

3.92/5  rDev -2.2%

Very thin in appearance but nice light amber color. The only smell is of spice and something that reminds me of a pie crust. Slightly spicy, very sweet with a big pumpkin hit at the end. The bottle says they use pumpkin puree directly in the mix and I really believe it. This really is more like eating a pie than drinking a beer as there is almost no hint of hop, malt or anything other than spice, pumpkin, sugar and crust. Very different from other pumpkin ales I've tried. I'd call it hearty, filling, and something worth a try.

4.14/5  rDev +3.2%

22oz in my Piraat snifter

I thought this was one of the best pumpkin beers that I have ever tasted. It poured golden to copper and had a huge nose of nutmeg and spice. I did not find it terribly sweet but like a pumpkin cookie. It had some notes of gram cracker to. I think it hides the 9% abv very well not hot at all. I would have another. I think this bee would pair well with a pumpkin mousse pie very nice because of the gram cracker notes.

4.39/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz Bomber/Tulip Glass

A - Clear, bright and light orange in color with a 1 inch head. The head did not last very long and left no lacing to speak of.

S - Buttery Pumpkin, Nutmeg, and bits of Allspice hit you right away; Sweet bready caramel follows, not too far behind and Cream Corn...if you can picture that! :)

T - It is Pumpkin flesh and Thanksgiving spices all over, the 9% alcohol is, WHERE? I can't taste it! Love the roundness of the sweetness, spices, malt and the hops!

M - It is long-lasting with a nice medium to full body. I definitely feel the thickness of the Pumpkin pie, yet with light whipped cream.

D - Oh God, I can drink this until the Super Bowl and then crave it badly through the Summer!!! Beware of the ABV...it will get you!

PS. Absolutely the BEST Pumpkin beer I have had to date!!!

Salud!

4.64/5  rDev +15.7%

Wow...I don't even know what to say...This beer is awesome. A nice, coppery-orange color that hits you in the face with aromas of pumpkin, spice, nutmeg, cinnamon and tastes exactly how it smells...delicious. Mouthfeel is a little thin, but I think at this point in time, I'm just trying to find something to criticize. You definitely have to try this beer...regardless if you're a fan of pumpkin or other spiced-type beers, this beer is impressive.

3.97/5  rDev -1%

southern tier is fast becoming one of my top 5 brewers. their beers are unique and very affordable.

a- very light, clear copper color, no head or lacing to speak of, but can clearly see the carbonation bubbling in the glass. it looks like ginger ale

s-smells like what a pumpkin spice candle smells like, only not as strong. nutmeg, pumpkin and spice

t-spicey nutmeg, pumpkin, bitter spices, ginger, cloves and butter. burns on the aftertaste for a bit, then tastes very creamy.

m-little prickley, not overly carbonated, creamy but dry feel

o- not as thick as other pumpkin ales i have had, its decent. i am not into pumpkin beers, but because this one is from southern tier thought i would give it a try. its good, but not one i would buy again just because i am not into the whole pumpkin thing.

4.46/5  rDev +11.2%

Went to a Pumpkin Fest and finally had this beer. Absolutely loved it.

Appearance - Very orange like a copper with slight hints of amber and little to no lacing

Smell - Exactly like a pumpkin pie. Vanilla is coming through the strongest second to the pumpkin.

Taste - Well what can I say. At first you get a very very sweet taste of sugar coming through but that quickly fades and it tastes exactly like a pumpkin pie. Jokingly me and my friends said you can taste the crust but soon we realized that was true. You can taste not only all the spices but the pumpkin is really shining through.

Mouthfeel - It has a slight carbonation but finishes very smooth

Drinkability - While I feel this is one of the best pumpkin ales I've tasted, I'm not sure how much of it I could take. Hands down its what I had been looking for in taste and quality but after a while the novelty will wear off. However, the beer is exceptional and really a great pumpkin beer.

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company