Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: American Porter

Added by klewis on 10-22-2007

Reviews: 195 | Ratings: 221
1.92/5  rDev -43.2%

Wow! If Leinenkugels(sorry fans) got together with Frankenberry and Trix, this would be the ugly baby. The second you pop the cap, it smells like tou just opened a bag of Twizzlers. Way too much artificial raspberry odor.
Looks like a porter, pours like a porter, but do not expect a porter from this pour. The odor/taste of plastic raspberries immediately kills any hope of enjoying a good porter. Very watery, which I was not expecting. Almost a drain pour, but as I do respect beer, I powered through it. Just glad I didn't spring for the $9 bomber of their Creme Brulee. May have went into Diabetic Shock.
Recommend this for the wine cooler crowd, or the select few who may look foward to cracking open a Leinenkugel's Sunset wheat after a hard day.

2.02/5  rDev -40.2%

One snif and It was like a bowl of capt'n crunch raspberries. Totally over the top on the berries. Dude, where is the beer? If there was anything else to notice here, I missed it. I kept sniffing to see if there was anything else going on here and the only other thing I could think of is raspberry seltzer water. You know, kinda tickly to your nose.

I sipped it, hoping that might help, FAIL. It was a flavour of some maltyness and yeastyness and rotten fruit. The aftertaste, which I really care about, by the way, was dry and so off I couldn't wait till my nachos came. I hoped that the nachos would help this beer.

Wrong again. I ate some nachos and then sipped some beer and this time it tasted like cough syrup! This is why beer and food like items should never mix. All of that said, if you are a fruity beverage person, you might just like this one.

2.08/5  rDev -38.5%

355ml bottle
4.6% ABV

I tried this beer on April 25, 2008 at "Smokeless Joe's" in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The beer poured a slightly translucent dark ruby red with a very thin white head. The aroma was all raspberries with some faint hints of malt. The mouthfeel was weak and slightly watery with very little carbonation. The flavour was very much like a weak raspberry tea with a slight sourness. Nowhere near the same calibre of beer as the raspberry wheat.

2.15/5  rDev -36.4%

I was hoping for maybe a dessert wine with some bitterness to balance a light, fruity sweetness, but this beer really doesn't do it for me.

There's a candy-like raspberry scent on pouring the Raspberry Porter. And as it turns out, this one's not a creamy, thick kind of porter. It's thinner-bodied, more deep brown with a sparse head that gathers at the sides of the glass.

The flavor isn't particularly porter-like either. Like the look of the beer, the flavor seems thin. Luckily, it's not terribly sweet, either, but the raspberry aspect of the beer leaves an ascorbic acid-style aftertaste in my mouth. There's no bite or rich, malty mouthfeel, either.

This was the seasonal ale selection in my Southern Tier variety pack, and it's making me sad, so I'm hoping I like the other beers in the package a bit more.

2.17/5  rDev -35.8%

Bottle; no freshness date.

Pours a translucent dark reddish brown with red edges. Three fingers of khaki colored foamy head. Mild lace.

Raspberry scent immediately noticeable as i pour. raspberries, vanilla, cream. Sweet delicious scent

There's a brief flash of sweet raspberries then taste becomes muted and watery. Leaves a less than pleasant coating on the tongue. There really seems to be almost no appreciable porter flavor to this beer. More like a malt raspberry soda beverage with a mild bitterness and a bad aftertaste.

Heavily carbonated thin watery mouth feel.

Drinkability is nil. A drainpour I'm afraid.

Southern Tier is a very good brewery but this beer is a dog.

2.19/5  rDev -35.2%

Another Beer that Southern Tier makes entirely too much of and trys to push a little too hard in my eyes. I actually like the porter and raspberry beers on their own, but together...it just doesn't work.

You also can't drink more than one or two of them at most.

2.2/5  rDev -34.9%

I have to say that this is my first disapointment from Southern Tier. I absolutely love their beers, especially the Jah-Va.
First off, this is not a porter. This is a very thin brown ale. There is a watery raspberry taste. Not dark at all, quite translucent and light. Taste is a watered down, weak brown with a splash of raspberry kool-aid tossed in. I honestly chugged the second half of the glass to just be done with it. Something went terribly awry here. I love their "Big Beer" series, but this one horribly missed. Avoid this beer. If you're a fan of the style, try the Weyerbacher Raspberry Imperial Stout instead. Cheers!

2.24/5  rDev -33.7%

Appearance - Not as dark as most porters I've had.
Smell - RASPBERRY! BAM!
Taste - Raspberry and very little roasted flavor.
Mouthfeel - Very light body (for a porter) and not a good finish in my opinion.
Drinkability - Not very, I dumped it because I just couldn't deal with it.
Overall - Could have been a lot better and frankly I'm disappointed because I love every other ST offering I've had the pleasure of drinking. Could use some chocolate flavor to it possibly and that may help it some, but it just lacked in so many areas, I don't think it can be saved. Back to the drawing board?

2.33/5  rDev -31.1%

Poured from bottle into a tulip.

Dark black with a off white tan head about one finger tall. Fizzy. Good carbonation from the look of it, can smell it about a foot away. Bubbly lacing on the glass. No other smell on this than raspberry. Super dominate and fruit lamic like. Initial taste is off putting, heavy fruit smell combined with no flavor. Tastes like mineral water, heavy carbonation on the tongue, not getting any porter like flavors, just carbonated black water. Getting some cigarette smoke on the back end, not very pleasing. This is looking like a drain pour, haven't done one in awhile.

2.47/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - totally overcarbonated - huge hiss when I crack the bottle, my first attempt at a gentle pour nets 1/4 glass of beer, 3/4 of foam. Beer is very clear, very red (can't say there is any brown hue whatsoever). Head is off-white to light tan, full of big bubbles, and gargantuan in size; it's going to take awhile to pour a full glass.

S - raspberries, raspberries, and more raspberries. Smells exactly like Lindemans Framboise.

T - watered down cocoa powder and ash, mixed with some raspberry kool-aid. Aftertaste is somewhat beer-like, a bit of roasted malt lingers.

M - thin, watery, extremely overcarbonated. I'm getting alcohol warmth after just 2 sips.

D - there seems to be some serious problems with this beer.

I only got half of the beer into my glass before I gave up and decided to start the tasting portion of the review... I already had a sneaking suspicion that I would not want to drink the whole thing anyways.

This is a very problematic beer - thin, overcarbonated, watery flavours, watery body, and completely out of balance towards the raspberry character. If it wasn't for the word "porter" on the bottle, and the hint of roast in the aftertaste, I would never guess the base beer was a porter.

I ignored the remainder of my glass for awhile. When I returned to it 30 minutes later, the taste and mouthfeel improves substantially (which is the only reason I didn't score it 2 across the board)... but is it really worth it?

Thanks to Phyl21ca for the bottle!

2.49/5  rDev -26.3%

Appearance - 4.0
Pours a thumb of pale beige head over a clear brown body that is easily penetrated by light. Good head retention and lace.

Smell - 2.5
Sweet Belgian fruit lambics come to mind, as do redskin lollies. A little chocolaty malt gets through, but this doesn't smell anything like a normal porter.

Taste - 2.5
I am again, immediately reminded of fruit lambics, but without the sour. A very light porter grainy with a touch of cocoa and coffee, very little bitterness. This allows the sweet yet tart raspberry to shine through, though not completely overpowering the other flavours. Still, it is too thin and too sweet for my liking.

Mouthfeel - 2.5
Light to medium bodied which feels wrong for a porter. Moderately carbonated with fine bead, actually a little watery.

Drinkability - 2.0
I wouldn't drink it again.

OVERALL - 2.75
Some may enjoy the raspberry porter, but for me it is a hybrid style that does not work. I'd be interested to try a fuller bodied porter, with more roasted malt used as a base for a similar beer. As it is, I see this as a beer for people who don't really like beer, hence the low score.

2.5/5  rDev -26%

Very light brown body, moderate clarity, topped by a huge light beige head of rocky foam.

Nose is dominatd by raspberries.

Muddled overly sweet beginning never lets the malt get a toe hold. Lingering raspberry finish/aftertaste has an artificial twang to it. Raspberry never lets the porter up to breathe on its own.

Mouthfeel is fine. Drinkability is not fine.

This just does not come together. Southern Tier does enough beers so well, this could be their mulligan.

2.55/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured a very dark/blackish ruby color with very little head. Head was very white. No lacing to speak of.

Smelled like rasberries, but not the fruit. It actually smelled like the chocolate that has rasberry filling in it.

Interesting flavor. The flavor profile is basically; porter, rasberry flavor, porter. Slight burn malt flavor, followed by a very artificial rasberry flavor, and finished with a burnt/bitter flavor.

Very low carbonation. Watery mouthfeel. My biggest issue with this beer was how artificial the rasberry flavor was. I think this could be a really great, interesting beer if they can get the rasberry flavor right.

2.59/5  rDev -23.4%

Pours a coffee color with a off white head. The smell is of too much raspberry, it is a little overpowering and cheap smelling. The taste is of fake raspberry with a little malt on the back end. The mouthfeel is a little slightly carbonated. Overall it is a smooth beer but the raspberry taste is a little too fake.

2.6/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Dark brown with a foamy 1 finger off-white head. Nothing too spectacular.

Nose is low notes of coffee and roasted barley lie beneath a framboise-like sour raspberry. Also some light chocolate malt. No hops are noticeable.

A blend of barley describes the taste. Crystal, Chocolate, some roasted (possibly black patent) barley. However, they all taste like they are blended together opposed to a tasty layering/complexity. Raspberries are thinner than in the nose. Potential hop bitter bite in the finish, but its so slight I'm really not sure which hop is used. A little bland.

Mouthfeel is decent. A little thin, but carbonation is good, biting, but not too much. Helps to support the taste.

I was really excited after having Southern Tiers' decadent chokolat stout, but this one falls short of my expectations. Not the worst, but I can't recommend it.

2.62/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Southern Tier- Raspberry Porter

A- Clear Amber brown with a small filmy head. No lacing.
S- Nice fresh raspberries with a light hint of chocolate malt.
T- Light sweet raspberries with a touch of roasted chocolate malt, very faint.
M- Light and sweet. fruity up front with a mild dry malt finish.

Overall- The lightest porter, I think, I've ever had. Not much more than raspberry going on here.

2.62/5  rDev -22.5%

Just plain nasty. The fruity initial taste (obviously of raspberry) is like a punch in the face, but then the porter kicks in and gives it a very smoky aftertaste. A very strange combination of flavors. Ends up tasting like liquid cigarettes, raspberry-flavored. The mouthfeel is flat, and there isn't anything redeeming about the appearance in any way. The only thing I enjoyed was the initial smell, which gave me high hopes of a unique brew. Disappointing to say the least. Worth a taste to have it in your repertoire, but not recommended.

2.63/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Portsmouth snifter glass. Poured dark brown in color with a thin lacing barely covering the top of the beer. It did however leave some nice lacing on the glass as I drank it.

I'm getting mostly raspberry extract from the nose, not much else. Anything else that is present is very light compared to the raspberry. The taste is pretty light on the roastedness, chocolate, and coffee flavors I expect with a porter. Instead there is a strong raspberry extract taste to it.

Mouthfeel is very light for a porter with moderate to low carbonation. Drinkability is average for the beer. If you go in expecting a good porter you will be disappointed but if you expect an average fruit beer it's drinkable.

Overall my biggest complaint is it's not very porter like at all. Not much roast or chocolate flavors and a very thin mouthfeel. It tastes like they subbed out the wheat in the raspberry wheat to just enough dark malts to change the color of the beer. I might feel differently if this wasn't listed under the porter style and was instead under the fruit beer style. Rating to style doesn't do this beer any favors for sure.

2.67/5  rDev -21%

This one pours a translucent brown with just a touch of red and a small fizzy off-white head. The head disappears quickly and lacing is nowhere to be seen, a rather unimpressive looking beer.

My nostrils are being attacked by raspberry, if I try really hard I can find a little cocoa, but not much else.

It hits my tongue with sweet raspberry that gives way to slight tartness and a bit of roasted malt. There is a slight hop bitterness in the finish but no perceptible hop aroma or flavor. The chocolate flavors promised on the six-pack carrier are in no way present.

Pretty light in body for a porter, kind of watery actually, and over-carbonation just makes things worse.

While it is light enough to be sessionable, the overbearing raspberry flavor becomes tiring quite quickly.

2.68/5  rDev -20.7%

Pours a dark carmel, not quite as dark as style would suggest.

Smells like rasberry herbal tea. Im not getting malt, hops, etc. Im getting more sugar than beer.

Closer to a fruit/veg beer than a porter. Very little malt. Some finishing hops. Some buscuit. Defnitely tart.

I think my rating being so low has more to do with the style it falls under than the pleasure of the beer. I think this brew falls too short of Porter, more of Fruit/Veg beer.

Overall, not sure I would try this beer again. tart and fruity than malty like I would prefer.

2.69/5  rDev -20.4%

A- Semi-opaque with a ruby/amber color. No head at all, yeasty lace with a lot of carbonation around the glass.

S- All raspberry, nothing else. Not much malt, but there are subtle hints of roasted malts.

T- Very watery, very disappointing; not much taste at all in this beer. The aftertaste of raspberries is pretty good though. No malts or anything, just a watered down carbonated kool-aid. Maybe a hint of hoppy bite at the end? Could be due to just the raspberry flavoring.

M- Medium-light body, mild carbonation and somewhat dry.

D- Sure, you can drink this beer.. I would not recommend it though. It is very smooth and easy to put away, but nothing good as far as taste. It is unique, but very disappointing.

2.69/5  rDev -20.4%

A- black body with reddish hues and a head that barely covers the top of the beer. lots of visible carbonation bubbles.

S- awesome. reminds me of a raspberry truffle. chocolate up front with a strong raspberry finish.

T- huh? whered all the flavor go? very bland, with an artificial raspberryish aftertaste thats pretty sweet.

M- very watery, thin, with high carbonation. basically like a soda.

D- why would i want this again? southern tier missed the mark on this one, but their track record is good enough to make it so i feel obligated to try more and more beers from them. better luck next time.

2.7/5  rDev -20.1%

12 oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Nice dark brown with little head.

S - Really strong raspberry smell. That's all you can pick up since it is so strong.

T - Too much raspberry, slight hint of chocolate.

M - Medium bodied with good carbonation.

D - I really didn't like this, there was way too much raspberry.

2.7/5  rDev -20.1%

On tap @ Sierra. Pors pretty dark with some hints of red. Overall great aroms which is the best part of it. Otherwise this is smooth light raspberry porter. Some hints of cocoa, nothing to blow me away though. I think Souther Tier brews are better when they jack it up both price and quality wise. Black water series brews are key to their success. I haven't been a fan of their six packs. Mostly over priced and ordinary.

2.71/5  rDev -19.8%

a: khaki head over a beer more the color of a nut brown than a porter

s: raspberry aroma reaches the nose through watery coffee, light-moderate earthy citrus hops, and unfortunately there's not much else

m: carbonation on the light side of medium, thinnish body

t: much like the aroma, weak raspberry that gives way to a weak, watery roast, there's an astringency and/or bitterness that's pleasant but out of place, that there's nothing off and that the raspberry isn't noticeably artificial are the best things I can say about it

d: not difficult, and I'll finish it, but I'd much rather be drinking something else...where's the roast/chocolate or anything else that might distinguish this as a porter?

single from The Caboose, Ashland, VA