Gemini (Imperial Blended Ale) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Gemini (Imperial Blended Ale)Gemini (Imperial Blended Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: American Strong Ale

New version now sold in 12 oz bottles.

Added by BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Ratings: 1,057 |  Reviews: 591
4.79/5  rDev +17.4%

22 oz poured into generic pint glass

Appearance: Light orange/yellow with half inch head (great retention) and nice lacing.

Smell: Hop-fest. It smells like hops, and I don't mean a really hoppy beer, I mean straight up hops fresh from the homebrewing store. You can tell that some of the hops they used are highly acidic just from the aroma. There was a thread recently about which beer smelled/tasted the most like weed, well this one smells like some amazing weed nugs. It's hard to pick up anything else in the smell, I don't know, there might be a malt backbone in there somewhere. Time to taste.

Taste: Mmmm. I can't get over how deliciously hoppy this beer is. But here's the real surprise, it's not that bitter! Not in relation to some other hop-bombs anyway. No, this beer relies on the pure aroma and flavor of hops. Not to say there isn't any bitterness to it, but it's not exactly what you would expect from a DIPA. It's actually way sweeter than you would expect, which is nice. Fruit flavors galore in the initial taste, grapefruit, orange, lemon, mango, followed by that nice sweetness that almost wants to border malty but the hops say, "F that, I'm not surrendering that easy!" If I were to try to give the malt factor any credit I'd say there's an incredibly subtle caramel malt background.

Mouthfeel: Divine. Each sip makes me want more. It's syrupy but that's perfect because it coats your tongue with the delicious hop flavor and then the hop bite hits the back of your throat.

Drinkability: Surprisingly high. Besides the fact that this is so delicious that I would drink it everyday of my life, I can't tell in the least that it is 10.5% ABV.

Overall: If you couldn't tell by now (or you only read the overall portion of reviews) this is one amazing brew. I love Unearthly and I really love Hoppe and as much as this beer sounded great I never would have imagined that this would be their lovechild. Not too long ago I had 16 Grit DIPA from Surly and decided it was the best DIPA ever. Gemini doesn't quite outdo 16 Grit but comes about as damn close as possible. If you can get this beer, get it. If you're a hop head, get it. If you have no clue about good beer, still, get it. If they don't distribute this in your area, trade for it. You will not regret it. So, Southern Tier, what do you think about making this a year round?

4.52/5  rDev +10.8%

What a great IIPA. Transparent amber color with a white head. Nose is just absolutely filled with citrusy hops. Orange, grapefruit, a little muskyness. Taste is more citrusy hops, a chorus of citusy flavors, like the aroma. Mouthfeel is perfection. Creamy, with a touch of carbonation and a dry finish. Amazingly well balanced, considering the ABV level. Close to perfection. I drank this with some spicy asian food and it cut the spice with perfection. The best east coast IPA I've ever had.

4.52/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a goblet. Body was a light copy, with a very think white head. Head is fairly active, and has some okay lacing. Nose is strong, some pine but predominantly spruce. I've never experienced spruce being the overwhelming aroma. I've yet to have Hoppe, but from what I remember from Unearthly - is that it's flavor and scent were very resiny - not sharp like what this is giving off thus far.

And the spruce doesn't go away, as it's the first note that I taste. Taste takes a pit stop with some mint and parsley and then a brief hiatus with some sugar cane sweetness. The sweetness really comes out as you sift the brew through you mouth - and I'm assuming will be more pronounced as it warms. Finish is a light pine. Really the evolution of this flavor is unmatched to anything I've had before, and really awesome. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, gentle stickiness - which really compliments the ton of flavor that's going on, as it doesn't interfere.

Heck yes! I have been underwhelmed thus far with what I've had from ST, Unearthly included. This one though, I'm a big fan. Really complex - definitely recommend this.

This poured a clear, bright gold with white head. It smelled like complex floral hops that was a mix of fresh mint and black pepper and grass and thistle, along with subtle honey malt and lemon hops. It tasted like powerful mint and pepper and bitter thistle hops, with sweet honey malt. It was fairly thick with a bit of carbonation, and had a very bitter aftertaste. Overall this had a pretty unique taste that was very clean and bitter. It hid the alcohol quite well, and had great body. But in the end, I just couldn't enjoy the taste of this as much as I wanted to. I can appreciate the craft of this brew, but personally, I would prefer to simply drink Hoppe or Unearthly.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Gulden Draak Tulip. Sharp new graphics with a quasifuturistic looking shine on the label. Looks Awesome!

Pours a glowing orange color with a relatively tiny light beige head which fades away quite quickly leaving behind some clingy lace on the glass. Minimal amount of sediment is visable on the second pour with solid carbonation. Sediment seems to sink to the bottom of the glass pretty rapidly.

S-The nose on this is Pungent fruity hops. Loaded with your standard citrus aromas of Tangerine, Grapefruit, pineapple and a touch of pine.

T&M- Wow! This stuff is fantastic! Sweet honey maltiness hangs tough with the extensive hop profile the whole way on this one. I haven't looked at the hop variation for this beer but It seems like Amarillo and a variation of a few of the C's seems to be the hops that comes to mind. Mild alcohol lingers enough at the end to balance the bitterness off creating a superb mouthfeel. This is a pretty hoppy beer but it doesn't seem to overpower you with hops, most likely due to the great balance.

D- Drinkability seems to be quite good. My only knock on Unearthy (And DON't get me wrong I Love that beer!) is that it tends to be a little boozy and not very drinkable, Gemini on the other hand seems to be a lot more drinkable considing the both of them are pretty close
with ABV.

All in all this is a top notch DIPA that is well worth seeking out and stockpiling.

Southern Tier is clearly at the top of their Game!

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

The beer was served chilled in an Imperial Pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a very bright and clear copper coloration. The head is off biege about an inch thick and resolves into a thin foamy covering of the beer. Inspite of the thin layering it looks rich and inviting. Thick foamy lacing remains behind on my glass.

Smell: The aroma of the beer is like the greatest hits of a DIPA. The primary aroma is of citrus grapefruit, oranges, and a twist of lemon. Supporting aromas of pine, pineapple and a whiff of caramel are well cast in this hop bomb.

Taste: The beer gives me a flash of malty sweetness that compliments a very pleasing hop bill. The citrus and pine hops grab attention of my palate and dont let go. Very nice bittering to the beer. The beer starts a bit sweet but bitterness dries it out nicely. I may be a bit tight on taste rating. This is almost everything I want in a DIPA.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: The beer has a medium body. The carbonation helps to break this up a bit. The abv could be problematic but it is well hidden and incorporated in the beer. Honestly I found this beer to be a very easy beer drinking experience. Very dangerous abv at nearly 11% but dam tasty. Shake it fast but be careful...

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

Served chilled in my oversized snifter.

A: Pours a clear dark copper, with a one finger white head. Head recedes quickly leaving a small film on top. Nice sticky lacing.

S: Big pine hops in the front, with some grapefruit following. Some sweet malts in the back as well, but the nose is dominated by pine.

T: Very balanced. The sweet malts and piney/grapefruit hops really blend together well. Not one flavor really stands out to me. A spicy little kick in the back. Very nice.

M: Thickness and carbonation are right on the money. This one really coats the mouth well, with a very pleasant aftertaste.

D: For being a 10.5% Imperial IPA, the alcohol is very well hidden. This goes down deceptively smooth. A very well done IIPA, my favorite offering from Southern Tier to date.

4.19/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a nice golden orange color with one finger of light creamy white head.

Scent of sweet fruit, juicy hops, caramel malts, cotton candy, yeast, and a faint funkiness. There is a lot to this scent, but it is surprisingly balanced, pungent sweetness and hops with subtle funk.

Taste of sugars, hops and grain start, some candy flavors and funk come in, leading into a finish of hops, earth, and some alcohol. Good stuff, but it's a shame it doesn't match the glorious scent.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth, but a bit watery.

4.07/5  rDev -0.2%

22 fl oz brown bottle; served in a tulip.

Slightly hazy with a brilliantly clear copper coloring; very active carbonation. Creamy, bright white head that leaves a thick ring of lacing around the tulip's rim. Walls of thickly webbed lacing with very good strength.

Intensely bright pine aromatics with notes of cedar and spruce. Sharp bubblegum, pineapple, tart pear, green apple. Very pleasant slightly sour qualities that have a nice balance with the spicy pine qualities. Semi-sweet bready, toasted malts that adds just enough sweetness.

Moderately sweet bready malts that are more pronounced than other Double IPAs. Near intense bubblegum hop flavors that last well into the aftertaste, also accompanied by short-lived green apple, pear, orange, and grapefruit. Bright floral hops that taste slightly burnt by mid-sip. Oily moreso than bitter at mid-sip. Apple, bubblegum, pear, and cedar in the aftertaste. Big flavors, but not exactly balanced.

Practically full in body; sharp and active on the palate with only a brief period of filminess in the finish. A little too active and young stylistically.

A big 'combined' Double IPA with pretty intense flavors. The dynamic flavor profile is somewhat unbalanced due to the intense alcohol and active carbonation. I'd be interested to see if this one has the ability to settle down after putting it away for a year or two.

Picked up a bottle of this, figuring I am fond of both the Hoppe and Unearthly. The idea of having them blended and unfiltered was intriguing!

A: A fairly clean blonde, with a bit of a golden shimmer to it. Nice white head, fairly modest, with a good amount of lacing down the glass.

S + T: A somewhat deepset piney hop aroma - I only say "deepset" in that it is not a big assault on the nose like those in the style can be. It's a bitter, tasty brew, though... on the tongue it's a little more pronounced. Piney, for the most half, with a kiss of citrus.

M + D: A little bite of carbonation, though the body seems unusually lacking. It's not a matter of having minimal body or even being watery... more, just something missing. Perhaps my expectations were up too high, but I don't really believe so. A very tasty beer, but a little part of me feels disappointed.

4.51/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a snifter.

A - Pours a radiant amber that just glows when held in light. Solid two fingers width of white head. Some lacing as the beer is consumed.

S- Mild and weak. While there was a hops presence, along with various citrus fruits, they were very muted. Not much else to add here.

T- First off, definitely not what I was expecting. As an imperial IPA, I wanted to dock points off immediately because the taste of piney hop oils was nearly non-existent. Only trace amounts of mild bitter hops could be felt at the end of each sip. However, the taste was so damn good, I gave it a perfect score. Combination of citrus sweetness and various fruits, such as oranges, lemons and pineapples. If it weren't for the mild hop taste, I would have honestly thought I was drinking juice.

M- Light to medium bodied with some carbonation. I did enjoy the sticky residue of sweetness when the beer coated the mouth.

D- Probably the most drinkable beer I have ever had. The alcohol is virtually extinct, and the delectable fruit flavors and natural sweetness are to die for.

Overall, at first I was disappointed in the lack of hops presence, especially in an imperial IPA. However, I rolled with it, and was quite surprised as to how flavorful this beer really was. This beer was so smooth, it could easily be mistaken for a session beer. Definitely a must try.

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

I saw this in the beer cooler at the grocery store and bought it. I had honestly never even heard of this beer before buying it (beer noob). Pours a light copper color into my tulip glass. A nice thick, foamy head forms, settling into a thin ring around the glass. Smells of pine, citrus (pineapple, grapefruit) and hops. More of a pine aroma than anything else. Tastes rather citrusy and sweet. There is a definite hoppiness to it, as it is a double IPA, but the hops are not overdone. A nice bitterness comes through as well. It's a balanced taste. It's got a lighter mouthfeel than I expected. Leaves a fair amount of stickiness behind, but drinks pretty well. A very solid double IPA.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Picked up a case of gemini bombers at shangys on NYE for $71.99. Told me they got them in the day before so I was pleasantly surprised. Glad to see the bottles do not have a wax top coating the year, I felt like I needed a hammer and chisel to open those. Poured beer into a huge wine glass, golden yellow with a nice foamy head that disappeared after about 10 mins. Grapefruit smell seemed to dominate but there is a candy like sweeteness in both smell and taste. Drinkability is great and it hides the alcohol well, you would never guess its 10.5% abv. I could have easily put down a 2nd bomber in one sitting. Southern tier is on point with this DIPA and I look fwd to it every January. Its very hoppy but not a hop bomb at all. I feel its one of the best from the east coast and I plan to stock up. Cheers.

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

Another great pickup from my friends at Downtown. I'm very excited as I love Southern Tier, can't get it in Cali, and particularly like the Unearthly.

Appearance - A nice, clear copper color. A very modest head, with a steady stream of carbonation making it's way up. Nice lacing the whole way down.

Smell - Piney hops! Some definite resin, and a little citrus on the kick. I think it's the cascade/grapefruit, but it's almost blown away by all the pine.

Taste - Very complex. It comes up front with all the pine. It follows with the sweet citrus/grapefruit flavor. Very pleasant and well-balanced. It's pretty sweet on the finish, but not sugary. It's actually very well balanced with the bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Quite good. It's got a lot of body without being sticky, or syrupy. It has the crispness of a much less hoppy beer. It's nice and fresh.

Drinkability - Pretty damned good. It goes down smooth, the finish makes you want more, but it isn't heavy or too sweet.

This is an excellent beer. The gang at Southern Tier has done it again. It's very well balanced, and quite hoppy without being too heavy. It's almost like the worlds most kick-ass lawnmower beer. I could almost see myself having a couple on a hot summer day working on the car or something. A bomb.

4.77/5  rDev +16.9%

Had this last year, but wasn't reviewing beers....

Pours a clear golden-orange color, big foamy white head fades slowly, and leaves epic sheets of lacing on the glass....seriously, there's only a few clear spots on the glass right now. Smell is an all-out hop war!! Pine, grapefruit, tangerine, and nary a trace of malt...it's there, but it's in the back seat. Taste is exactly what you'd expect based on the nose, huge piney hop presence, and equally massive grapefruit/citrus notes....this is a hop lover's dream. The mouthfeel seems the slightest bit thin for the style, and makes this feel/drink more like an IPA, which in turn does wonders for the drinkability. My glass is emptying much faster than I'd like, and I'll be stocking up on this one!

3.63/5  rDev -11%

Pours flat golden with a modest head. Aroma is of piney, resiny hops. Smells a lot like my hopback. Flavor is of piney, grapefruity hops, and not a whole lot else. I mean, I'm sure there is something else, but I can't seem to wrangle my taste buds around all the different hop varieties. Interesting beer, but a little overhopped for my taste.

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%

Its appearce it is nice it is cooper and a little hazy
it is golden but it is should be stated it has amazing lacing

the smell is decent, some sugar and some fruit
alcohol is hiding but at least it doesn't smell like bruit

in the taste you get that buscuity bread, you get that malt,
with that pine tree hopness that comes with no fault

i love to feel with my mouth above all
a lil carbonation, slightly full, but very agreable

to state drinkablily
that seems to be a sin to me
i love it so much
i wish i could drink it night and day

i wrote this in a rap ... it might suck but i had a good time doing it

4.52/5  rDev +10.8%

Southern Tier Gemini is a slightly hazy, light amber ale. The white head is small and dense with oily bubbles. It fades to a leathery film that picks up whenever the glass is moved. It has a strong, fully hopped-out aroma of orange and pine. It smells like fresh-squeezed orange juice and a Christmas tree. The malt smells pretty sweet under it all. It's full bodied and smooth and fuzzy in the mouth. The finish is crisp. It tastes slightly sweet. The juicy and bitter hops seem very fresh and strong. The flavor is intense but well balanced. There is a very... outdoors... flavor. There is a touch of sour at the end and a long, piny aftertaste. It has such a great hop base of the 3 Cs and then the Amarillo tweaking out the aroma. Excellently crafted! Also: It took me about ten minutes to get through that wax.
(rated May 22, 2008)

4.08/5  rDev 0%

Reviewed on 6/5/08. Bottle. Not sure what was up with the wax/plastic, as no other ST beers (as far as I know) have this...anyway. Pours a light clear amber with a thick white head that leaves nice lacing. Aroma of piney hops and grapefruit. Initial flavor of sharp hops, not super malty. But gradually, the beer becomes quite flavorful. Less bitter hops than I'd expect for a DIPA, but this is a plus for me. The sweetness of the malt comes out as the beer warms, along with a bready flavor. This beer is very drinkable, mellow, and quite light for a beer that is 10.5%! Awesome!
7/4/8/5/16 (4.0/5)

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%

A - Pours a cloudy copper color with a layer of bubbles that left plenty of lacing down the glass

S - Citrus and floral hoppy smell

T - citrus and piney hoppy flavor followed by some maltiness

M/D - very drinkable and great tasting. Very easy to drink which can be a bad thing at this ABV. My only complaint is that it might be just a bit too sweet.

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

A- Pours a hazy golden orange color with a nice cream colored froathy head. Head has pretty good retention and leaves some nice spotty lacing.

S- Not quite as hoppy of a smell that I expected but still is pretty nice overall. A good mixture of floral, citrusy hops and caramelized malts.

T- An excellent balance of hops and malts. Nothing really dominants this brew and alcohol is barely noticable.

M- Creamy and sticky. Medium in body and good carbonation.

D- Easy to drink and a pretty cool beer since its two excellent beers mixed into one.

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

A: Quite cloudy and the color of peach juice, spots of sticky head, instant foam over from the bottle even though quite cold - 4.00, S: Extremely hearty aromas, loads of heavy malts with a matching load of hops - very nicely balanced, piney variety of hops - 4.50, T: This beer tastes like what I envision a hop juice concentrate tasting like, lots of bready malts, even more piney hops, quite a bite on the tail of this beer, quite citric as well - 4.25, M: A creamy and heavy mouthfeel, thin on the carbonation - 4.00, D: A very pleasing double IPA, loads of everything, one I would go to again - 4.50

4.52/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured a golden color with a medium white head and plenty of bubbles throughout.
Heavy on the hops, citrusy and piney with almost a roasted malt or brown sugar or molasses smell. Interesting.
The taste was plenty of citrusy hops but balanced well with a smooth and sweet malt.
Although there was plenty of carbonation, this plus the hops led to a less bitter or biting feel than I was expecting, and once again I think ST has done a great job with balance, largely due to the difitive malt presence.
Overall, a great blend of two great beers makes another great beer. Excellent overall.

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Quick review into my notebook.

A- Waxed top. Gold and transparent--touch of orange highlighting the color. Head is 1/8" and comprised of inconsistant bubble patterns.

S- Citrus, pineapple, rose petals, and honey

T- Sweet and rich, not too bitter, surprisingly refreshing. Definitely a blend of Hoppe and Unearthly and a great idea to blend the two. It combines the best of both worlds.

M- Medium and clean; nicely carbonated.

D- More drinkable than the other 2 mentioned. A pleasure to enjoy.

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Great beer.

It is a pumpkin color in the glass.

In the mouth it is refreshing and light.

In the nose it is piny and reminiscent of Belgian Whites.

The taste is hoppy (floral, grapefruity, piny) but still has some sweet maltiness to it. It is not overpowering like many IIPAs. The 10.5% ABV is not overpowering but does allow the beer to finish crisply.

Capable of Session drinking or single sipping. Fantastic.

Gemini (Imperial Blended Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company