Gemini (Imperial Blended Ale) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Gemini (Imperial Blended Ale)Gemini (Imperial Blended Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: American Strong Ale

New version now sold in 12 oz bottles.

Added by BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Ratings: 1,057 |  Reviews: 591
4.32/5  rDev +5.9%

22oz. wax topped, painted bottle.

A: Clear, golden color. Not much head.

S: The bottle describes the numerous hop varieties and methods of getting them in the beer, and it shows in the aroma. Very hoppy, lime, grapefruit, maybe even some mint. Nice.

T: More hoppy goodness, especially grapefruit and other citrus zest. Bitter, flavorful, delicious. For a 10.5%abv beer, alcohol is barely noticeable other than some fruity esters. Enough malt to stand up to the hops, but hops are the highlight.

M: Syrupy and biting at the same time. Very bitter, it actually leaves the mouth tingling. I like it, but it probably kills the palate.

D: Dangerous. I really like the beer and could easily drink several in spite of the strength. As it warms turns into more of a sipper.

I was not a huge fan of Unearthly (too much alcohol taste) and thought Hoppe was good but not great. I like Gemini a lot better than either. The sum is greater than the parts! A great imperial IPA.

4.79/5  rDev +17.4%

My favorite Southern Tier beer to date, and there have been many good beers from then. I really wish all of theeir beers were more obtainable for me. Poured golden with a nice head, but nothing special to look at, although nice. The aroma is heady with deep citrus smells, mano and spice- like beeer perfume. The taste just explodes with citrus and mano flavors from the hops that seagues into a deep creaminess and then a nice spicy bitter hop finish, all unobtrusively supported by firm, slightly sweet malt. A beautiful double IPA that I would drink all the time if it were local.

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

In agreement with the other reviewers, I nearly killed myself getting this one open. Eventually used a knife and broke a bottle opener in half, but we're finally at the goods. Looks really good...surprisingly light copper color with a solid head that leaves nice spotty lacing. Great nose. Strong on grapefruit bitterness balanced almost perfectly with caramel malt. Flavor's delicious as well. Some chalky hops come through right off the bat, mostly floral and quite smooth. Lots of breadiness and some cookies in there as well. A mix of citrus fruitiness shows up later on. Almost no alcohol flavors, which is impressive given the ABV. Given that, it's highly drinkable, with a nice medium body (although that 10% could knock you on your ass quickly). Man, I could throw back a bunch of these, and probably get in lot of trouble for it.

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

First thing first, lets lose the golden wax. I fought the wax and the wax won.

Hazy orange body, with some scattered carbonation streams. One finger of milk white froth. Good lacing evident early on.

Aggressive and enticing aroma of pine and citrus - plenty of orange, grapefruit, and apricot.

Nice sweet malt base sprays across the tongue. Juicy fruit engulfs everything. Big bitter bite, but balanced! Everything is big - this from NT state or Texas ? Piney, fruity, bitter, and sweet - its all here.

Juicy mouthfeel. Damn drinkable.

Another damn good big beer from Southern Tier.

4.62/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

50% Hoppe 50% Unearthly, what a combination. First off, I've got to remark, while opening this bottle I had visions of explaining in the ER how I managed to put a knife in my hand while opening another bottle of beer.

That said, a hazy golden copper brew with a modest head greets the eyes.

Hops are much more evident than in Hoppe, for obvious reasons.

The taste follows the 50/50, not as balanced as the Hoppe and not as extreme as the Unearthly.

Southern Tier continues to make some impressive brews that have become some of my favorites. Only improvement I can suggest here is to lose the gold stuff over the cap. It's an accident waiting to happen.

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

First off, these bombers are a bitch to get open. There isn't enough edge for a bottle opener to grip, and I had to actually pull out a lighter and burn some of the wax off to get the damn thing open. Nice presentation but...

Pour is dark orange with a moderate white head on top. Hoppy nose, floral hops. Citrus, bread also present. Depthy.

Flavour starts off exceptionally balanced, big bread, malts are present, but citrus and floral hops linger as well, strong, but kept in check much moreso than has been standard for the style. Sweet and sugary, particularly on the finish. A very different take, much more sessionable (in terms of flavour, not ABV) than the average big IPA. I dig it.

Mouthfeel, nice. Plenty of hop bitters, full and sticky. Drinkability, in terms of actually drinking quite solid, in terms of rebuy, modest to average. Southern Tier is reasonably priced, but in its range there are some monster beers in this style, while I like Gemini, it isn't edging out my local favourites, so I can only mark it good overall here.

The bottom line: if the idea of a big, yet balanced IPA appeals, then Gemini is a good brew to check out. Another winner by ST.

4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

I really enjoyed their Unearthly and Hoppe so its only natural that I like this right? This is one pain in the ass high grade wax. Once the bottle if finally opened it pours with a nice white head, good retention and great lacing. Has a straw color.

Smells of fresh piny hops, citrus and more hops.

Once again the hops are in charge, I am not sure when this was bottled but this tastes great. Citrus, orange and malt.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Gemini...Where to begin...First off I had been searching for this one for a good long while. I tried to find it when I was up in Ohio, but to no avail. It seemed to have alluded me, until I was finally able to acquire one in a BIF. I threw it in the fridge and there it sat ever since, waiting for me to come and try it. Last night I decided to pop it open and give it a whirl with dinner, and I was glad that I did. On a side though, I find the best way to get through the was is to use an old fashioned can opener, just the right amount of sharpness to cut right through it.

Appearance - The pour was nice with a rich golden amber color being presented to me right away. There was some haze and cloudiness to it, but to be honest, I was surprised by how clear it was for being unfiltered. There was a nice three finger high head of white foam that capped the top of it, this had some nice retention and hung around for a good few minutes before settling back to a one inch high, cratered, and rocky looking crown that lasted until the end. Nice sticky web like lace throughout the glass. Some decent carbonation coming up through the bottom of the glass throughout. Very solid look for a big IPA.

Smell - The aroma surprisingly well balanced, with a good bit of malt welcoming me as well as a barrage of citrus hops right off the top. Nice bready and sugary tones were out first, but then quickly replaced by a piney hop sensation, which itself was replaced in turn by a slightly more acidic grapefruit like aroma. Very floral, I was really liking what I was seeing here. Really no hint of the alcohol in here at all, and to be honest, the aroma itself was quite a bit lighter then what I would have made it out to be.

Taste - The flavor as well was very well balanced. Again a biscuit like, bready malt flavor was the first thing I noticed but this was washed away by the floral hops almost all at once. Nice rich pine flavors coming into play, but nothing really becoming detrimental to my palate here, this was remarkably well blended. Nice orange like hints working through with hints of grass and grain all around them. A strong finish capped it off with more then adequate drying and a sticky pine like flavor that lasted well into the net sip. Again there was no hint of the alcohol in here at all.

Mouthfeel - Very nice feel on this one. One of the thicker big IPA's I have had, it avoided becoming overly done and syrup like by keeping a nice carbonation profile kicking. Nice fine bubbles making it seem a touch lighter then it was. A bit oily with the resin, but in a good way, I was very impressed with how this one went don.

Drinkability - This was absolutely amazingly drinkable, especially for the ABV. I could not have imagined this one being any more smooth. I was putting this one down way to fast, in fact I almost felt like I could have had another by the time I was done. Really very nice and quite well done.

Overall this was not really what I was expecting going into it, but to be honest I was more then pleasantly surprised. It had a nice overall profile, but was ridiculously smooth and well balanced. I would not hesitate to buy one of these if Southern Tier ever gets off there butt and distributes around here!

3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

Light orange honey, cloudy, with soft bubbly covering of foam.

Sweet malts jump out, tropical fruit, orange peel, some alcohol.

Sweet caramel malt with candied citrus peel bittering, slight floral impression. Another ST Imp IPA thats too malty and not hoppy enough for me, although it has the very nice tropical hop impression.

Smooth and soft with medium heavy feel. Drinkable, but disappointing.

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

Southern Tier needs a wax dipping lesson. Never in my life have I had a more difficult time getting a beer open. The gold wax is hard and brittle and is bonded to the bottle with what feels like Super Glue. It took me a good 10 minutes of chipping and swearing, chipping and swearing. I'm lucky that I still have all my fingers.

Glowing kumquat with a fine yeasty haze that wasn't present in either of the beers that make up Gemini. It's a tremendous color when backlit. The lemon chiffon colored crown looks even more spectacular. It's thick, rich, creamy and sticky. It's also depositing an impressive amount of sea foam lace as it slowly starts to shrink.

The nose is everything that I like about beer of this style. It's nicely citrus fruity, featuring white grapefruit, lemon and orange. It's nigh on impossible to go wrong with a hop bill that reads like a list of my favorites: Columbus and Amarillo from Hoppe... Chinook, Centennial, Cascade and Styrian Goldings from Unearthly. By the way, Gemini (Imperial IPA) is a 50:50 mixture of those two beers.

I was excited to learn that this beer is actually *unfiltered* Hoppe and Unearthly. Hoppe's biggest problem is that it's filtered, which almost certainly removes some of the hop flavor. And, therefore, some of the character. My memory of the component beers has probably been blurred by time, but first impressions are that Gemini is at least as good as Unearthly and is better than (filtered) Hoppe.

The malt backbone is as huge as expected, with only a hint of something darker than pale. Must be the red wheat. The rest of the malts include pale, malted white wheat and Cara-Pils. Both 'H' and 'UnE' are sweet, so it's no surprise that 'G' is sweet as well. I wish the brewers could find some way to cut down on the malt sugars. A lower ABV? Better yet, how about adding twice the hops and overwhelming the sugars with alpha acids?

The flavor profile includes candied citrus fruits primarily. Again, white grapefruit, lemon and tangerine/orange. I would have thought that so many hop varieties would have resulted in more complex hop flavor. All that malt must be gumming things up a little. Gemini hides its alcohol as well as the beers that comprise it. That is, very well.

Shouldn't the mouthfeel on a beer that is an equal mixture of a beer that scored 4.0 and a beer that scored 5.0 be 4.5? The world isn't that neat and tidy because this mouthfeel is merely good. Maybe a variation in carbonation is responsible.

Unlike Avery Collaboration Not Litigation Ale and Hoppin' Frog Bodacious Black & Tan (both of which were unequal mixtures), I'm not sure that Gemini is a worthwhile undertaking. I'd like to see Southern Tier concentrate their efforts on the original beers and forget about this one. My humble suggestions would be stop filtering Hoppe, to cut back on the ABV of both, to cut down on the malt sweetness of both, and to hop both more aggressively. Thanks to prototypic for the bomber.

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

Bottle courtesy of Kryprtic: Poured a hazy light orangey color ale with a large foamy head with good retention and some great lacing. Aroma of floral and bitter hops is quite intense but enjoyable nonetheless. Taste is a mix between some citrus hops with huge dose of dry and bitter hops with some lovely floral notes. Very well balance between the different hops varieties with a low key sweet malt backbone. Full body with limited filtration and great carbonation. I have to admit to being surprised by this one and this brewer is really impressing me.

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours pale, hazy gold, with a one-inch head of white.
Lacework is decent after the fall. A full coverage skim-coat sits beneath frothy strings and dots.

Aromatics are fruity, piney, and tropical.
Fairly toned-down for a IIPA, with the nose being pretty restrained. What is there though has a very nice combination of peaches, pears, spruce, and tangerines.

Creamy and sticky mouthfeel. Slightly crisp and tacky.

The pallet delivers the hops where the nose left off.
Resinous, juicy, and substantial. Loads of orange oils, grapefruit, peach, pine sap, and bark-like earthyness.
Bitterness is full-on, and balances some honeyish residuals.
Warming alcohol steps forward as the bitterness and zesty fruit lingers.
Light malt and balancing for the style.

With Unearthly being such a tough act to follow, I was expecting something lesser.
Happy to be wrong.. Great beer!

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Slightly hazy with a gold/orange hue and fine cap of off-white foam. Good head retention with plenty of lacing, even rings of foam marking each sip. Fruity aroma full of hops, grapefruit and sweet tarts, powdery with some pine. Tastes of bitter pine resin with a big grapefruit component. Citrus and spicy alcohol lingered. Medium to full bodied with creamy carbonation. Some warmth with a bit of dryness. Nice texture overall. Fairly easy drinking for such a big beer. Alcohol was well incorporated and even though it's definitely a hop bomb, it didn't tire my palate.

4.83/5  rDev +18.4%

The fucking wax on this bottle was incredible...do they not want you to be able to open it? Countries guard weapons grade plutonium with less security than the wax used to keep me away from this beer.

Eventually I got to the holy grail and I can see why it is so protected. This is one of the best beers I have ever tried.

Excellent DIPA with the full range of tropical and sweet
fruit flavors and aromas....papaya...mango....pineapple...peaches...mandarin oranges...a lot of peach flavor...malt backing is almost a caramel breadiness...wow this is good...flavors blend perfectly...

A big beer but drinks like a regular IPA...not particularly bitter but this is a hugely flavorful beer that really hits the mark.

I've been drinking a lo of hopslam and this is comparable if not better...I'd love to do a blind taster of them...whatever the case this is one of the best beers I have tried...scores will not reflect that as the nose is not a 5.0 and the lighter body brings the mouthfeel down but i can tell you this...this is a beer I would buy anytime I see it...

4.57/5  rDev +12%

Poured from a bottle a clear golden yellow with foamy beige head.

Pleasant aroma of pineapple, peach, sourdough bread, and honey.

Tastes of sweet malts, sourdough bread, grapefruit, and honey. Finish delivers a nice taste of caramel and slight bitterness. The 10.5% alcohol is well hidden.

Medium mouthfeel, smooth, warming to the tongue, and moderately carbonated.

This IIPA from Southern Tier is nothing short of excellent. A joy to drink and a must try.

4.67/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance - pours a bright honeyed gold. Plentiful foam, white and sticky, leaves almost a solid film on the glass.

Aroma - very heavy on the mango and pineapple, a hint of booziness peeking through.

Taste - sweet chewy malts up front, making a quick appearing before giving way to the hop show. Sweet citrus, very juicy with mango flavor. There is a faint medicinal quality that usually tends to strengthen and overrun the palate on some DIPAs. That thankfully does not happen here. Pine flavors strengthen on the swallow, along with grapferuit. Finishes fruity, a definite citrus bite, dry, warm. Every mouthful just keeps delivering a full range of flavors.

Mouthfeel - heavy, just short of syrupy, the carbonation makes for a prickly sensation as the beer scrapes the palate clean of all non-beer molecules.

Drinkability - had I tried this sooner, I likely would have returned to get more before it was gone. An excellent DIPA.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

A very nice looking brew. Thanks to chonyr for bringing this north. Amber with more coppry highlights in its slightly hazy body. Nice and tight 2 finger off white head, nice, tight, and very solid retention, sticky clumpy gobs of lace already cling to the glass. Slightly active in terms of carbonation.

Peach, papaya and pineapple give a nice tropical fruit aroma to this brew. Pale bready malts, some caramel, and a whisp of musty yeast also present. Smells pretty damn good. Has me looking forward to getting into my bottle of Unearthly to see how it compares.

The big fruity aroma almost carries over into the tasting,although is more subdued as the bready malt with touches of honey and caramel sweetness takes hold. Some woodiness with touches of pine resin and a mild floral quality also present.

Some alcohol heat appears, but is somewhat mellow and is certainly not surprising for a 10.5% brew. Slightly creamy in feel, adds another dimension to this medium bodied brew other than hop flavour + bitterness.

A must try for hop heads. This sample slightly favours bitterness versus hop flavour, it would be nice to see born on dates, as i imagine a very fresh sample might have the balance tiled the other way. Pretty drinkable all things considered, and a solid beer all around that holds up well to most if not any IIPA. Would gladly drink again if i come across it.

4.12/5  rDev +1%

Wax-top bottle:

Pours deep gold with a one-finger head. Some trailing lace sticks.

The smell is of lemony citrus and grapefruit with strong floral notes.

The taste is of a quick flash of sweetness immediately followed by bitterness. A wheat tang comes through. Lemony. It has a hoppy character with some wheat and biscuit backing it up. Peppery and sweet in the finish.

It is pretty chewy in the fuller side of medium-bodied.

A sipper though it begs to be a bit more. As much as I love the hop billing and the beers that were combined - as much as I like this one about as much as the Hoppe, and like Unearthy a bit more.

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: It's cloudy and a toasted golden color. Head is foamy white and a thick two and a half fingers deep. Head receded very slowly and left sticky sheets of lace on the glass.

Smell: Very pungent citrus grapefruit aroma initially smacks the nose. A little pineapple, pear, and orange add to the sweet smell. Caramel-toffee malts are secondary, but are a component you can't ignore. They come on strong. Hops are strong, piney, and absolutely delicious smelling. But, they don't overwhelm. It's a little uncharacteristic of the style in that regard.

Taste: Grapefruit and other citrus flavors blend with caramel-toffee malts and give it a very sweet flavor. Grapefruit is strong and a little bitter. Hops are probably the most interesting element of this beer. They are piney and bitter. But, they are a little weak. Too weak for the style. It's actually a well balanced beer and lacks the bitter kick I really hoped for. It has a nice flavor to it, but it just lacks a little in the hop department. Alcohol is very well masked and is not noticeable at all.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light bodied, perhaps a little too light. Very well carbonated. It goes down smooth and easy. Too easy. Given the style and ABV, it really should not be as drinkable as it is. Nonetheless, I could easily tackle at least a couple of bombers.

Gemini is a very good beer. It could be improved by beefing up the hops. I expected a hop bomb and found a well balanced, smooth Imperial IPA. Not what I was expecting, but it's still very good and certainly worth checking out.

4.16/5  rDev +2%

Cheers to beeronthebrain for this one!

Pours an effervescent bronze/honey with 3+ fingers of beige head. Out of this world head retention & lacing

S: Leafy & piney hops, caramel & toffee as this warms

T: Piney & citrussy hops, some caramel & loads of doughyness & toffee up front. Booze hotness (not a bunch, but a detractor), grapefruit & cakeyness as this warms. Finishes a bit grainy with plenty of lemony & grapefruit hops

MF: Chewy with minimal carbonation & some detraction booze hotness

A good all-around DIPA that is a bit slow to drink, due to the heft & some hotness; Cheers Ken

Just glad I didn't have to break my oyster shucking gloves to open this. My wife was mildly amused at my wax removal efforts, none the less!

4.39/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

eyes...
ohhh wax... actually wax = pain in the ass
after I pry king tut from his sarcophagus I am bitch slapped by a hop barrage.. but I'll get to that, craggy one finger of foam rests on top like a lily on a pond with a fat ole bullfrog on it, hazy dark golden hue with plenty o' bubbles rising up, definite tell tale legs from the higher ABV, a good looking beer but not stop traffic category

nose...
being that the bottle reads like a who's who of hops this should be nice... (and the dry hopping never hurts this category), surprisingly the malt is most detectable under the waves of hops, you get every level of hop from slightly earthy, to the brighter side and the amarillo twang last but not least, it smells like you could chew it... damn, very nice. not just hop-hiroshima

taste etc...
medium bodied and the carbonation is a complement, the lack of filtration kind of buffers the hops a touch (like in long trail's excellent unfiltered IPA), and it lends the brew a certain sweetness (almost honey like), the drinkability is scary compared to other DIPAs, much smoother than DFH 90 (not a dig but this is just much easier to drink). the bitterness is just right but the balance here is what steals the show.

verdict?
wax or no wax... worth seeking out, this one is peeking into the halls of greatness

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a hazy golden-amber with about 1 cm head, but only after wrestling with more wax than one finds at candle stick maker's shop.

Smells hoppy with a slight amount of citrus/pineapple in the back.

Taste is at first full on hops, bet eventually gives way to malty citrus... and hops. The alcohol is well hidden.

Mouthfeel is about what I expected for a DIPA, moderately thin.

Overall very drinkable, one of the better beers I have had from Southern Tier so far.

3.92/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from the 22oz over waxed bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance- It should be noted that the wax is thick as all hell. It was a real battle getting that cap off. I recommend a serrated blade and extreme caution. Beer pours clear with a touch of chill haze. Golden with more foam than a Belgian. Four fingers plus. Head is tinted slightly green.

Smell- Hoppy as all get out. Hard to get past all the hops. Grainy husky malt is hiding in there, a bit grassy and crisp in the hop character. Pine and grapefruit all up in there as well.

Taste- Very hoppy. Every hop listed on the bottle is detectable. Bitter, piney, citrusy, floral, the whole nine. Malt isn't quite balanced as much as all those hops. Clearly one hopped up double IPA.

Mouthfeel- Bitter, lightly medicinal, perhaps preservative aspects from the hops. Astringent, medium bodied, and well carbonated.

Drinkability- Despite all my nay saying, the beer is still quite drinkable and I may blend my won with separate bottles of Hoppe and Unearthy.

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

Huge thanks to The_Epeeist for the bottle!
Pours a nice slightly hazed, but mostly clear orangish amber with a lasting nice white head that leaves nice lacing. Smell is tropical fruitiness, peaches, mango, oranges, and sweet and hoppy. Taste is somewhat sweet for a DIPA with nice flavors of peach and mango with a touch of piney hops behind that which provide a really nice balancing bitterness. Really tasty, and nice body and carbonation too. This is a fantastic double IPA and is incredibly drinkable!

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

A: Hazy golden-bronze, off-white head, great retention & lace.

S: Nectarine, grapefruit citrus, slight pine, American pale malt.

T: The hops are overwhelming with flavours of nectarine, pine & citrus. Pleasant cotton candy fruityness, hint of toffee, assertive bitterness, warming alcohol. (Somewhere between 4 & 4.5).

M: Moderate to full body with plenty of hop acidity.

D: Quite drinkable for something this big & bold.

Gemini (Imperial Blended Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company