Love Belgian Beer?

New York, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Reviews: 1,558 | Ratings: 5,128

As a choco-holic all I can say is....This beer is amazing! This is probably the greatest beer I have ever had and it will probably take awhile to find one to top it. That being said...

Poured a jet black with an off white two finger head that dissipated to a thin ring with some heavy lacing. The smell was sweet rich chocolate. It was like opening a chocolate bar. There was a hint of coffee on the tail end as well. The taste was like an alcoholic chocolate milkshake. There was hints of coffee and roasted malts but mostly chocolate. The mouthfeel was creamy and silky like thick chocolate milk. Did I say chocolate enough yet. Even though its a strong thick brew the drinkability is still amazing. I never get tired of it and aside from the alcohol sneaking up on you a bomber is usually not enough.

Good lord, this one is over the top with chocolate goodness! Right away an aroma of chocolate liqueur, then a thick, creamy milk-like texture and chocolate malts are heavy in the flavor. The 10.0 abv is almost the only thing that cuts through the chocolate. Have i mentioned the chocolate? Nice bitter aftertaste lingers. This one is outstanding!

IF WILLY WONKA MADE A BEER, THIS WOULD BE IT.
It really is that good. Imagine Sir Guinness of Ireland having a baby with Lady Chocolate of Belgium.
To achieve the optimal serving temperature, take it out of the refrigerator for 10 - 15 before consumption.

I LOVED this stout!! We look at beer review guidelines/facts and base our reviews along those categories which is essential for accurate beer reviews... but in essence the most important category is ones personal preference. This beer is perfect for me.

Appearance - Very dark brew, with ruby red tint when held to light.

Smell - Chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate

Taste - Powerful chocolate flavor upfront. Some coffee bitterness. Very sweet beer.

Mouthfeel - Medium body, low carbonation. Very silky, creamy.

Overall - Perfectly flavorful, very enjoyable sweet stout!! DO GIVE THIS A TRY

If you have not yet had a beer from Southern Tier yet what the hell are you doing drinking? This Stout is the smoothest, most rich beer I have ever had. It is the best dessert beer out there. My fiance had to go to the local brewery on her birthday to drink it straight out of the fermentor, as it wasn't even bottled yet. Go get some.

This was recommended to me by a friend and it punched me in the face with its awesomeness and high abv. It tastes so good I want to live in this beer or maybe become this beer in the next life.

The mystery to me why are the regular beers by Southern Tier (like their IPA and Rasp wheat) so underwhelming when this brew is completely amazing? I gotta try their Creme Brule next. Can't wait.

everything about this beer is great. the smell the taste the ABV...
it is the most chocolaty beer i have ever tasted. its the shining star among chocolate beers. no one has done it as well as they have. im not one for getting into all the technical mumbo jumbo tasting comments.. its either good or its not. and this is def good.. go find some

A - Poured a nice deep, inky, black with a thin tan head that dissipates quickly.

S - Smells like a nice bar of dark chocolate.

T - Smooth with a dark chocolate taste. The aftertaste is a bit hoppy, but not too overpowering.

M - Great. Has the expected syrupy stickiness with a slight carbonation.

O - Wow. This is one great beer.

Served On Tap at Fireworks in Courthouse/ Arlington VA.

A: Midnight black, like sackcloth black! A small dark mocha froth head that dissipates rapidly.

S: This is Amazing! It's like a sweet Hershey syrup chocolate milkshake! Candied pecans, vanilla bean, dark cocoa nibs.

T: WOW!!! this one sweet monster! Hershey syrup straight out the bottle and into the mouth... This is more of a dark chocolate milk stout with chocolate malt balls crushed in the mix. Irish in style and creaminess. The alcohol is amazingly masked but WOW is it in there! Drinker beware!

M: Creamy lushish mouthfeel. Nice medium carbonation laciness that rides the alcohol down the throat.

O: What can I say but take me away from this dessert in a glass.This is my favorite sweet stout of all time! It is now, f*ck it.. number 1!! Old Rasputin has been dethroned..

Many beers from the Blackwater Series is amazing adn this one is no let down. Taste much like a liquid dark chocolate bar. High in ABV but it is completely masked by it's sweetness. Definitely a beer to taste in this life-time.

I had the 2011 on tap. This is a great beer with the chocolate overtones. The 2011 is a little bit smoother than the 2013, but still both good beers none the less. Very tasty.

22 oz. bomber purchased (for me) at The Liquor Shoppe in Tygsborro, Massachusetts. Pours an opaque black body with a thin film of tan head. OH MY GOD. Hot cocoa, baker's chocolate, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, and just a hint of booze in the aroma. Sweet malty milk chocolate, dark chocolate, caramel, vanilla, reminiscent of hot cocoa and candy bars. Medium bodied with ample carbonation, which in conjunction with the flavors makes this beer way way way too drinkable for the style and ABV. This beer is amazing. On every level, despite the hype it exceeded all expectations. Oh my God. Definitely getting this beer again whenever and wherever possible. So so so so so so good.

Before we start this review, you must like Hershey's syrup. Plain and simple. If you do you will absolutely love this beer. If you don't, a sample is probably all you can handle.

Smell - chocolate
Appearance - just like an imperial stout should look
Taste - we've discussed this already - Hershey's chocolate
Mouthfeel - warm, dry, slightly bitter

I'm not going to sit around and drink this by the gallon. It's very rich. But damn it's good, I wish I could.

Tootsie Roll in a glass
(and not in the Caddyshack kind of way)

This is the best chocolate beer I have sampled.
The smell is fantastic -- chocolate, coffee, roast.

The sweetness/stregth of the imperial stout works perfectly and seemlessly with the chocolate. Smooth -- neither alcoholly nor thin -- but full flavored chocolate. yum. I am a big fan of strong dark beers, and this is the acme of chocolate imperial stouts. (and I COULD drink this all night :)

This beer came highly recommended to me. The beer had a rich chocolately aroma, tasted like chocolate, and had a slight hint of coffee/toffee in the finish. I immediately ran out to find this beer in the store. It is available in large bottles as well as draft.

bottle poured into an orval glass.

A - not quite "black hole" black, but pretty dark. as spinal tap might say, a "pastel black".

S - chocolate. dark dutched chocolate. really, just any permutation of chocolate you can imagine is here. cake, fudge, bar, even powder are all here. mouthwatering, this is.

T - a carbonated chocolate shake. not some foolish mcdonald's shake, either. no way, this is a double-chocolate ice cream with a ton of hershey's syrup sort of shake, with shavings on top. apparently this is 11% abv? i don't believe it, but i feel it a few minutes later...

M - a carbonated chocolate shake, like i said. it's amazing.

D - 11% abv be damned, this is amazing. it's a dream come true for stout and chocolate lovers. my favorite new brew of 2007, with a bullet.

This is a beer that I've been wanting to try since I'm a big fan of the chocolate beers.

This one pours like a typical stout with a nice tan head which disappears pretty quickly.

The smell on this beer was incredible. It is pure chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate. After I smelled it, I knew that if the taste was anything like the smell, this was going to be incredible.

The taste did not let me down. I've never tasted more chocolate in a beer. The taste really reminded me of a chocolate milkshake. If you like chocolate, I don't see how you can not like this beer.

For the drinkability, I could just keep drinking it. I can't believe that it's 11% abv. I did not feel it while drinking it.

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

22 ounce (650 ml) bottle. Served in a snifter, the beer pours dark brown with about an inch tan head. Head retention and lacing are both good. Once you smell this beer it's pretty obvious this is a chocolate (I mean choklat) stout. It smells like bittersweet/dark and milk chocolate, with a little bit of coffee too. But this is definitely a chocolate bomb, which is a good thing. The taste is similar to the aroma, and I can also taste a bit of vanilla. There's a great mix of sweet and bitter in this beer. Mouthfeel/body is medium/full. It's extremely smooth, creamy, and a little slick/coating, but also a little bit thinner than I expected it to be but it still has a lot of substance to it. The low carbonation helps make this very, very easy to drink. I didn't notice any alcohol in the aroma or the taste, but you know it's there after drinking it. In my opinion this is easily one of the best beers I've had this year, or ever for that matter. This is the 2nd bottle I've had of this, and it's just as good as the first. Southern Tier has a winner with this beer, hopefully they'll make more of this soon!

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

Pours dark as night - no light comes through and just a hint of brown towards the bottom of the glass when held to the light. Tight 1-fingered cocoa colored head that quickly settles and leaves some sticky lace.

Smells like a thick chocolate milkshake. Dark and milk chocolate, coffee, with a hint of dark fruit and alcohol. Wonderful.

Chocolate up front with chocolate milk that leads to darker chocolate and a roasted coffee bitterness. Some unsweetened cocoa and vanilla as well. Almost like biting into a 70% cocoa Lindt bar. Slight alcohol bite towards the end, but well hidden at 11%. So rich. Hops don't show at all, but after a burp you realize there is a huge dose of them in this beer. Aftertaste is like a good truffle. Delicious.

Full bodied, velvety smooth, thick, heavy, and so creamy. Not something I could drink all night, but a great sipper that wants to be gulped - drinks easier than it should.

Great beer. No other stout like it. Finally a "chocolate beer" that delivers. Just an incredible chocolate bomb dropped on the palate, with deceptive complexity.

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

Served at a local bar. Given a large bottle and a goblet. Allowed the beer to warm up a little bit, to bring out its rich and sexy tones.

A - Gentle pour into a goblet. Blacker than black, but still a light brown at the same time. Very intriguing, looks like chocolate syrup, but also looks like a foaming and delicious beer at the same time.

S - DEAR GOD, this smells like pure chocolate. It's like an entire army of miniature soldiers wielding bazookas made of chocolate, mocha, and coffee just let loose a fury of cocoa missiles into my nose. Incredible smell to behold.

T - Tastes identical to its scent. The thick and frothy head even tastes like chocolate. Like an alcoholic hot cocoa. Hot fudge immediately comes to mind, hot fudge that will get me extremely drunk if I drink several bottles of this masterful brew. It earns the right to be called a chocolate stout.

M - Thick rich and creamy like a good stout should be. The heavy feel of it leaves a layer of epicness on my tongue that lingers long after the beer is gone. It's really more akin to a hot cocoa, it really is a unique beer, and definitely something to marvel at.

O - Masterful. Simply masterful. Southern Tier really hit a home run with this one. Never have I ever tasted a chocolate stout as sinfully delicious as this one. The tones and tastes of the beer are truly incredible, it tastes exactly how a chocolate beer should taste. I've seen cases at local distributors priced at upwards of $100, and let me tell you, it earned that price! It's great! Is it better than sex? No, but as far beer goes, this is just too damn good to pass up.

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

Review #250. One of the stars of the LCBO's winter line-up. I was thinking of cellaring it, but what the heck, I think it fits the occasion. 650ml to Duvel tulip (a glass I should have bought years ago).

Black as oil with just about two fingers of rich and creamy tan head crowning this beast. Great head retention, especially when considering its 9.5% ABV.

Wow. Just decadent; the summation of this beer in one word. Creamy, rich, and gooey milk chocolate reminiscent of a chocolate sundae with luscious hints of vanilla and a beautifully rendered roasted character. I actually dipped my nose into the beer, by accident of course, while smelling it. I'll take that as a sign that this can't get any better. Inviting? I don't that question deserves a response.

Succulent and rich milk chocolate coat the mouth with a slightly dry roasted malt character right behind it, both of which compliment and bounce off eachother perfectly. Smooth notes of vanilla and sugar cane are placed in the background, asserting themselves towards the back of the palate, but like the other characteristics of the beer, they blend beautifully and reinforce the otherworldly goodness of this beer.

If I could give higher than a 5 in the feel, I would. The balance is dead on. I can't emphasize that enough. This stout could have easily been cloyingly sweet with such a great emphasis on chocolate, and milk chocolate at that, but its roasted character works beautifully with the chocolate, keeping the sweetness in check while complimenting it at the same time. 9.5% ABV, really? It's masked to the point of it being undetectable. One of only a handful of stouts that I would consider sessioning, although I don't know how far I would get with these 650ml bottles. Dangerously, dangerously, dangerously easy to drink.

I will start off by saying that out of the 250 beers I have reviewed to date, this is the highest score I have ever given out. This is the third beer from their Black Water series I've had, with the other two being their Creme Brulee Stout and their Pumking. Both nailed the appearance and nose, but this is the only one of the three where the taste remains just as good as the smell. I've reviewed 250 beers now, but have had at least 100 more, and I can say with confidence that this would sit comfortably in my top 3. A beer that simply can't be passed up.

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured into a imperial pint glass (alas, I have no snifter). I would prefer more head, but I may not have poured it as well as I wanted to. About one finger of tan foam on a BLACK beer, dissipating quickly.

On the nose, melted chocolate ice cream.

The mouthfeel is wonderful... very velvety and smooth... I would LOVE to have this on nitro-draft (or even can/bottle).

Hits the back of your throat a bit, but then reminds me of a rootbeer float with chocolate ice cream.

The only thing about this beer is that it really should be drunk at the proper temperature.... mine was too cold starting out, but it definitely got better as it got warmer.

C. No Clarity here again
H. Black
N. Chocolate almost like a Swiss Mix Hot Chocolate

Godiva better watch out! This beer is going to corner the market with anything to do with chocolate. Southern Tier struck it perfect here, SUPER STRONG chocolate flavor here. This beer is not only sexy, but it is like sex in a bottle. I want more, but sadly I don't have more..WHYYY! Well I want to get another bottle to cellar and save till next year. This was an amazing beer and once again I am not a huge fan of stouts...well I'm in love. This was what I was looking for when I first had Youngs Chocolate Stout back in the day. Chocolate and Beer, YUM!

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

This a deceptively drinkable Imperial Stout, one that masks its 11% ABV with the powerfully rich aroma/taste of chocolate.

I've had other Imperial Stouts that have tried this approach and failed miserably.

Not so with Choklat.

A deep black color, typical of the style, hides its real value.
Drinking this was almost secondary to just enjoying the smell of it. Mouthfeel held its own with aroma, delivering deep cocoa and chocolate textures instantly.

I cannot recommend this one enough.

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

Profoundly dark. Soot black with an obsidian glistening. Topped by a short-lived light khaki-sand head of foam. Sticky, dense sheets of lacing remain on the glass. Fabulous chocolate Twizzler aroma: big, round, soft cocoa with a luscious milky background, like a snifter full of devil's food cake batter. Assertive and chewy cocoa flavors up front, followed by a muscular black-roasted bitter char bite. The finish smooths out into a slightly earthy hop whimper with a lingering pine-needle acridity. Here, at the end, a bit of alcohol heat shows itself, but only as a reminder. A bit of rugged Chinook flavor emerges in the aftertaste, along with the doughy, sweet chocolate flavor that predominates throughout this beer. Thick, ponderous mouthfeel throughout, but never syrupy or overly heavy. Very dry at the finish, all things considered. An amazing creation -- sort of like Young's Double Chocolate Stout with gigantic balls and a snarlingly bitter attitude. I'll buy up all I can to get me through the winter.

Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing Company