Choklat (Blackwater Series) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Choklat (Blackwater Series)Choklat (Blackwater Series)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Reviews: 1,585 | Ratings: 5,223
4.02/5  rDev -5.9%

Bomber courtesy of vwcraig. Dark black color, egg-shell colored head which is less than minimal. First smell was like opening a hershey bar and then cracking it in half. Subsequent sniffs give off tootsie rolls and cocoa powder. The taste is very good if you like chocolate milkshakes! I can't taste the alcohol which is good since it is high! Overall, if you are looking for a dessert beer or just have a sweet tooth, this one is for you.

4.02/5  rDev -5.9%

22oz bomber poured into nonic. Shared with friends over a game of Cities and Knights. Silky thick pour yields a thin tan head that quickly fades to nothing. Very dark brown with lighter edges. Unsurprisingly, the aroma is dominated by chocolate both sweet and dark. There’s also some malt, vanilla, and leafy hop aromas. The taste is again dominated by chocolate: milk chocolate sweetness, some bitter bakers chocolate, cocoa powder, and fudge. An enjoyable earthy leaf bitterness cuts through and marries up to vanilla, roasted malt, and espresso. Medium body, thick velvety slick texture, low to moderate carbonation (more than the appearance indicates), slightly drying on the finish with a bit of alcohol burn.

4.02/5  rDev -5.9%

I've had this several times now, and feel the need to edit my review.

A: Dark mahogany says it best, almost black with deep red highlights.

S: strong aroma of baking brownies - including the slightly burnt edges.

T: Chocolate syrup up front, followed by a balanceing hop bitterness in the middle. The sweet and bitterness balances out to a long, smooth finish. A semi-sweet chocolate flavor slides over your tongue throughout.

M: smooth, silky. Medium weight but thick body.

D: I didn't like the first sip. It hit me as too cloying and sweet, like a glob of chocolate syrup in seltzer. The flavor mellowed and the hoppy bitterness rose out of the middle to balance the lingering aftertaste. Now I know what to expect, I always have a bottle or two around the house. Makes a great desert to sip on a cool evening.

4.02/5  rDev -5.9%

22 oz. bottle into a chalice. Split with trep and other friends.

Choklat pours an attractive seal brown hue (nearly black), with a thin custard-tan head that displays retention like an 11% beer should--poorly. Hershey's milk chocolate syrup wafts upward from the glass, putting me in the mind-state of just entering a candy store. The dominant chocolate notes come from real chocolate, not the malts, and the aroma reflects that. However, it still feels a bit artificial, keeping it from a perfect 5.0 in my book.

Tastes like brownies and booze. 'nuff said. This stuff is liquefied dessert in a glass, with a super sweet chocolate milk flavor up front, followed by boozy chocolate liquor in the finish. Body is thick, viscous, and surprisingly well-carbonated with a touch of chalkiness. A bit tough to get down an 8 oz. serving. Overall, ST Choklat is certainly interesting, and although I'm glad I got the chance to try it, I cannot honestly envision myself ever wanting another.

4.01/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into a brandy snifter, very dark brown with minimal head. This may have been due to the small pour. Extremely strong dark chocolate aroma; smooth but a slightly dry finish; the dark chocolate comes out strong on the finish as does a bitter bite.

Clearly the feel and taste of an after dinner drink.

4.01/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Pours very dark brown with a cream tan head with large bubbles.

S: Milk chocolate and malt! Very creamy smelling!

T: Creamy milk chocolate with dark malt and baker's chocolate, mainly. There's a sweet toffee taste to it thoughout that really breaks up the chocolate. It kind of fizzles to a bit of Coffee at the end.

M: Med-heavy without a lot of carbonation. It's just heavy enough without being too heavy or cloying. Very smooth and velvety.

O: Solid offering, but not as balanced as I'd like; it kind of dies at the end when compared to the glorious start.

4.01/5  rDev -6.1%

This showed up at the local LCBO and I had to try it. Southern Tier make some good stuff but they also sometimes misfire and taste weird (like with the Creme Brulee...) Does this one?

It pours pretty much opaque black with a toasty brown head that dissipates quickly. Not too stunning, but not anemic either.

The smell is HUGE. I mean, jumping out of the glass kind of big. The bittersweetness of cocoa powder, and also the smoother smell of milk chocolate, with raisins, toasted marshmallow, heady alcohol, smooth vanilla caramel and dark malt. Wham. Mmm. Ohhh yeah.

The taste is just as rich. You feel like you're at the dessert table with nutty roasted malt and that delicious cocoa, with some more milky chocolate flavours as well, and a bit of spiciness and fruitiness coming from the alcohol and hops. I found that it had a bit of that cloying character from the Creme Brulee, almost like chocolate syrup, which wasn't great.

The mouthfeel is reasonably heavy in body, creamy smooth and somewhat syrupy, but not motor-oil thick or sticky. It feels like dessert. It's actually surprisingly well-built: full of flavour but with enough balanced tart "zing" to keep it from being overwhelming. Hence, the drinkability is quite good for the style... I don't often think of cracking a second bottle of a big Imperial Stout, but it crossed my mind with this one. I may have been glad I didn't, though, because there's a serious and late-arriving alcohol whack to this beer.

This is a pretty good stout that really delivers on its promise of indulgent chocolate. There is, however, something that puts me just a little bit off about it in the taste.

4.01/5  rDev -6.1%

Now this is one crazy beer. I have to hand it to Crazynelson on this one. This was sent along with a twin during one of my first trades. I'm only now getting a chance to try it out.

Poured into a Duvel glass at around 45 degrees this beer has no head and very minimal lacing. The color is extremely dark brown - as evident when pouring. In the glass it is pitch black.

The aroma is just like chocolate syrup. I can also detect honey, ripe bananas, and rich malt (like when you open a can of unhopped malt extract). This smells extremely juicy.

The first taste brings me back to 1st grade sipping chocolate milk with too much hersey's chocolate syrup in it. The temperature, flavor, and even mouthfeel are strikingly similar. This is the craziest beer I've ever had the pleasure of drinking. And I do mean pleasure!!! By the way this might be the sweetest (almost sacchrine) tasting beer I've ever had; I'm ususally not a fan of these types of beers but I like this one.

The mouthfeel is smooth, somewhat thin but just about right. It's only a little thinner than milk - this is about like skim milk.

This beer is in no way a session beer. At 11.0% abv this is a night ended of a beer. My advice is to drink this on a weekday night at around 8pm and sip it until ready for bed. That's what I plan to do!

In my snifter the beer was a black color with a head the color of burnt sienna. The head faded quickly.
Sweet chocolate aroma, roasted malt. A little bit of vanilla.
Milk chocolate taste primarily. A little espresso. Warming in my mouth.
A rich beer, alcohol not at all noticeable.
Very nice.

Pours a dark black deep and inviting, first smell is chocolate, powdery, candy, milk solids, just a sweet caramel, chocolate syrupy nose with little else breaking through the dominate chocolate sweetness. The head is about 1inch thick strong brownish.

The taste is chocolate syrup, wow real rich chocolate, delicious taste, a bit of bitter hop feel but mostly a sweet beer that is inviting but only for chocolate lovers.

22oz bomber into 8oz snifter.

Obsidian black hue with a half-finger tan head that settles to a thin rim.

Mostly chocolate in the aroma with some of the roasty barley in the background.

Like the aroma, the flavor is loaded with chocolate. It tastes almost like I'm drinking a bitter chocolate bar. The roasted barley sits in the back, adding bitterness and complementing the sweet chocolate. Full bodied with a thick syrupy feel. The chocolate lingers for a long time with each sip. The alcohol is well hidden.

One of a few ultra-sweet beers made by Southern Tier. They certainly are good at bringing out the flavor of the main special ingredient. Recommended.

Appearance: Dark brown with a hint of red. Not entirely opaque, but close to it. The head is a bit thin, but retains fairly well.

Smell: Sweet and decadent with aromas of chocolate, caramel, cherries and vanilla. The chocolate is syrupy and rich; it's pleasant but slightly excessive.

Taste & mouthfeel: Rich dark chocolate, burnt caramel, roasted malt, vanilla and cream. Semi-dry in the finish with an earthy bitterness and a faint lingering chocolate sweetness that sticks to the roof of the mouth. Medium-to-full in body.

Notes: Good, but not as good as I was expecting. Rogue's Chocolate Stout still reigns in this category.

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Color was a dark opaque brown, with a thin light brown head that clung to the sides. Aroma was a slightly bitter Hershey's bar. Taste was creamy, reminded me of a watered down extra dark chocolate bar. Felt good in the mouth, nice and rich and creamy. Definitely a sipper, almost a tad rich as far as chocolate goes, ABV seemed to hit a bit faster than expected, but wanted to keep going.

A big thanks to DIM for the opportunity to try this.

A: Very dark brown with tan/mocha head. Thin film and little to no lacing.

S: Wow..very sweet and very chocolatey. First thing that came to mind was a tootsie roll. Someone mentioned Nestle chocolate..can't argue with that.

T: Well, this follows the nose. Chocolate, roasted malts, caramel..super sweet. I stand by my tootsie roll comparison..haha.

M: Full bodied, almost chewy.

O: I would really like this to be readily available in Nashville. Choklat would be a terrific way to end a fancy steak dinner..a perfect dessert beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

What is becoming a tradition, I am digging a special bottle out of the cellar for my birthday. Though BA says it's March 4th, it's still March 3rd here in Northern Cal. I think this should be a nice night cap.

This bottle is courtesy of todd1, thanks again!

Pours a dark flat black color, with a nice off white head.

Aromas are... you guessed it chocolate. Oh my, this is like walking into the Ghirardelli factory. Mostly this smells like dark bitter bakers chocolate. Whoa, almost like a dark chocolate cake, this doesn't smell like beer, but it sure smells wonderful though.

Taste is amazing. Though like the smell, this doesn't taste like beer. This tastes like drinking cool cocoa. A bit malty and creamy, but mostly this is all about the chocolate. Some bitterness, but it mostly reminds me of dark bitter chocolate, not really of hops. Did I mentioned that this tastes like chocolate?

Mouthfeel is pretty good. But a bit lean for a hefty stout.

Drinkability??? Well... this is tough for me. I can see why people LOVE this beer. But to me, this doesn't really taste like beer. It's just a bit overboard on the chocolate for my tastes. I would have liked more traditional beer flavors and I think the bomber is going to be too much for me. But wow... this is so interesting, and I would have never guessed that this was 11% ABV?! Amazing... I'll have to track down another bottle to share with some fellow beer lovers, they will get a kick out of this one.

750ml bottle. Pours dark deep brown. 2 full fingers of head that lingers. Smells of hops, barley, roasted barley in particular, coffee, dark chocolate, sugar. Heavy and thick in the mouth. The bitter chocolate predominates. Roasted barley is very strong. The dark chocolate and roasted barley fight in your mouth. Definitely a double imperial stout. Little burn on the way down. Finishes with that traditional kick back of hops and roasted barley with an almost chocolate burp. While I like it, it is no Founders Breakfast Stout. There are other imperial stouts I would prefer. Definitely good though.

Served in my DFH snifter. Poured pitch black with some dark brown highlights around the rim when held up to the light; no other light penetration otherwise. Quarter-inch mocha colored head dissipated immediately into an oily film. Virtually no lacing adherence with the exception of a narrow ring around them rim. Scent - Belgian dark chocolate (duh), almost overpoweringly so, with the scent remaining in the nostrils between sips. Taste similar to nose with the presence of malt now detectable. Alcohol was surprisingly well-hidden considering the 11% abv. Silky mouthfeel with a little effervescence making it less chewy than anticipated. Finish left a lingering bitterness in the mouth (hops?) that didn't subside until the next sip. An enjoyable imperial for the most part; however, not being a fan of dark chocolate, I found the experience a little too overwhelming and actually prefer Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout over Southern Tier's Choklat.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Big chocolate aroma followed by biter chocolate flavor. A bit of alcohol comes through in the aftertaste. Medium mouth feel with medium carbonation. Good stuff. Cheers!

Pours a dark brown near black. A shade short of pitch black really. The creamy tan colored head surprisingly manages to hold up despite the high alcohol content, but leaves only spotty lacing.

Smells of spruce, cocoa bitterness, and of course, Choklat.

Taste is somewhat one dimensional and comes off as Choklat icing. Faint alcohol and spruce like finish. The alcohol becomes apparent upon my cheeks rather than in my mouth halfway through the glass.

Mouthfeel is smooth and slightly thinner than expected. Alcohol makes only the faintest of appearances making this a dangerously drinkable brew. Southern Tier hit the Choklat flavor dead on and I credit them for refraining from making this beer overly sweet and cloying. Points away from its one dimensionality.

If available it is worth a go, but it isn't something I would describe as a must have. Unique and enjoyable.

Presentation: 22oz brown pop top bomber, with nice label; no best-by date, but with an abv of 11%, I'm not too worried...

Appearance: Pitch black, shows bright ruby highlights around the edges when held up to the light; medium-dark tan head with good retention.

Smell: THE chocolatiest-smelling beer I've ever encountered. This is VERY similar to old-fashioned chocolate cream soda. Under those aromas are some notes of homemade chocolate icing on dark chocolate cake. Mild dark fruity booziness noted as well.

Taste: TONS of dark chocolate, and (again) chocolate cream soda. It's alternately bittersweet and semi-sweet. As it leaves the palate, I'm getting a big dose of dark roasted coffee as well. It's not the "liquid Hershey's syrup" I've often heard it described as; it's more like a heady old-fashioned chocolate liqueur. Not much noticeable in the way of hops really, though there's enough bitterness to keep this from becoming cloying. Alcohol is warming, but not over-the-top.

Mouthfeel: Huge. A bit prickly from the booze.

Drinkability: 1 bottle, split two ways = perfect.

Conclusion: I'm not sure this beer could have lived up to my expectations; I've been waiting over a year to try this, and was really looking forward to it as I've heard such amazing things about this beer. It's hands down the best chocolate beer I've ever had. By far. I guess the one thing that still kind of weirds me out is how much of a strong chocolate soda-like character these beers can have, with pure chocolate providing the flavor. Even if it's a bit of an odd profile, this is still a damn tasty beer.

A- Pours a dark brown or black not really sure what color it is. Pretty much no head or lacing just a few bubbles on top.

S- My first thought was this thing smells like a tootsie roll. Tons of chocolate and that's all. Doesn't smell like a beer at all but its not really bad either.

T- Pretty intense chocolate here. Alcohol is hidden really well. Overall, it was pretty nice and a lot better than some other chocolate beers I've had.

M- Creamy, low carbonation and medium to full in body.

D- Wasn't too bad but I don't think I could drink a lot of these. Something that I could drink every once in a while.

Bottle. Holy chocolate rabbit farts! This thing smells like I should put cool whip on it and eat it for dessert. Pours a dark brown almost black color with a slight tan head. Seriously, the smell is insanely chocolate but with a name like Choklat I should have known. Heavy mouthfeel with slight carbonation. Very strong bittersweet chocolate taste. Very sweet. Alcohol does have a bite to it. Good if you know what you are getting into.

Smell is complete chocolate, no alcohol. Taste is way too chocolate forward for me. A single glass, as a dessert beer, is the only reason this gets a 4

22oz Bomber poured into a snifter

A: Pours pitch black, completely opaque, 1/2 finger mocha frothy head that quickly dissipates to a thin frothy film. Doesn't leave any lacing.

S: Dark coco powder, milk chocolate, dark alcohol soaked fruits, caramel, roasted malts. Very potent

T: Loads of chocolate. Dominant chocolate flavor seems to be bakers chocolate powder with a little milk chocolate towards the middle/end. Overall it acts almost like a very dark fudge. Lots of caramel, there's some dark fruits in the background. The front of chocolate leads into a dark roasted coffee/espresso background. Finish is dry, warm, bittersweet chocolate and caramel.

M: Medium carbonation, medium body, it's not as viscous as I'd like, doesn't seem to coat the mouth much. Fairly smooth, very creamy, and a little velvety.

D: While it's very tasty, it's not terribly easy to drink. The flavor itself is very dark, a little bitter, and dry. The alcohol can get fairly hot if you drink too quickly. It drinks easier than some big Imp stouts I've had, but it's definitely a sipper.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on tap at the Happy Gnome along side of Goose Island's Night Stalker and Founder's Breakfast Stout.

A- A beautiful pitch black. Good head and even better lace. I will not soon forget the beauty embodied in the 8oz. tulip glass this beer was served in.

S- DARK CHOCOLATE. Wow, it honestly smells like lindt dark chocolate.

T- Tastes almost exactly like it smells. Delicious delicious chocolate. VERY tasty, but must be sipped for full enjoyment.

M- Very nice, the chocolate is very thick and must be sipped.

D- An EXCELLENT sipper. Only to be consumed if you like dark chocolate, but if you do this may be your favorite beer.

I like (not love) dark chocolate, so I really like (not really love) this beer.

Choklat (Blackwater Series) from Southern Tier Brewing Company