Choklat (Blackwater Series) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Choklat (Blackwater Series)Choklat (Blackwater Series)
4.26/5
Outstanding
Choklat (Blackwater Series)Choklat (Blackwater Series)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

#711

Ratings: 5,286 |  Reviews: 1,598

I personally thought this was disgusting. It barely had any head and I couldn't really taste the chocolate at all.

1.44/5  rDev -66.2%

1.5/5  rDev -64.8%

A_Pours dark brown. No head. No lace.

S_Smells like artificial milk chocolate. Sweet malted milk.

T_God awful. Taste like Hershey syrup and whoppers. Hardly a beer. More like a chocolate liqueur. Way too sweet to even be tolerable.

M_Moutheel was actually ok except that it felt like sugar was coating teeth. Other than that it was thick and full bodied.

D_Ask my sink.

Dont understand the high ratings on some of these ST beers. Seriously . . . this shit sucks.

1.58/5  rDev -62.9%

Pours black with a small bright brown head.

The smell is of the clear chocolate syrup used in cheap desserts.

The taste is terrible, the flavor of fake chocolate is overpowering.

The mouthfeel is pleasant. Smooth with a soft head.

Overall I think this beer is awful. I was extremely excited to try it but very disappointed. It's sister beer, creme brûlée, is equally awful... I love stout and southern tier but these were bad...

1.62/5  rDev -62%

I was really excited when I stumbled across this beer at my local store and read the great reviews on BA about it. I picked up a 22 oz bomber and chilled it to enjoy tonight. Within a few seconds of opening this bottle, the smell of sweet milk chocolate and alcohol filled the air. It poured deep dark brown with a thick tan head that dissipated within 2-3 minutes. The first sip was decent, big milk chocolate flavor and little alcohol presence, but I'm not a milk chocolate fan and I knew it was going to be too sweet for my liking. As the beer got warmer it became horrible. The taste and smell of alcohol became overwhelming and the chocolate flavor became super strong. I would liken the flavor of this beer to someone melting a Hershey bar in a glass of rubbing alcohol. Back to my Founders breakfast stout now...

1.68/5  rDev -60.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

i do not have a sweet tooth.

i did not like this... it was so overly sweet, and felt like it left a coating of sugar on your teeth, it was a struggle for me to drink. it was basically like hershey's syrup diluted a little bit and called beer. yes, there was a huge chocolate presence (and nothing else), but it was an artificial type of chocolate, not at all a quality one. never again.

I hope the drain liked it more then i did, if it didn't then Mr Drain i am sorry.

1.92/5  rDev -54.9%

Black in color with a very light brown head. Cake batter, banana and chocolate sauce aroma, very expressive, but not complex. Flavor is an assault of chocolate covered banana and even more chocolate. So, so one dimensional. Mouthfeel is fairly thin and could be more coating and have more weight. I thought I was drinking a beer, I guess not. I'm really glad I tried this before collecting some. It sucks, it really does.

Wow, I do not understand this beer's 'A' rating at all.

Appearance: Opaque black, as you might suspect, with a minimal head that disappears almost entirely after a minute or so.

Smell: Powdered malt-drink (Ovaltine), generic chocolate, over-ripe bananas and some smoke.

Taste: Cheap milk chocolate and that's about it; not nearly as rich as I'd hoped and extremely one-dimensional. It's also nothing near as sweet as the various iterations of Bourbon County Stout.

Mouthfeel: Very thin for an 11% stout. After the initial taste of chocolate passes it's like swallowing water.

Probably the most underwhelming beer I've had in the last 12 months. What an absolute fucking disappointment. I bought a bottle of Oat at the same time so hopefully that's a little better, though I'm not optimistic.
Bah.

2.02/5  rDev -52.6%

Poured and shared with friend from a big bottle.

Appearance - very mediocre imperial stout. Nice super chocolate color but a very small head with little retention. Not up to par with other imperials in the look catagory.

Smell - putrid. Its not chocolatey at all. I can't even describe it, but every time I smell it its not pleasant.

Taste - incredibly chocolaty and more like bitter dark chocolate (which I like dark chocolate). Booze is well disguised but the flavor really doesn't work for me. Its more like chocolate flavored liquor than beer. I couldn't identify and hop presence to balance, no malty flavors or anything to complement of balance the bittersweet chocolate flavor.

Mouthfeel - full bodied I suppose

Overall - Maybe I got a bad bottle, but this beer just didn't seem well made at all to me. The fact that the rest of BA considers it world class, makes me feel I got a bad batch perhaps. Both my friend and I had to drainpour..it just wasn't pleasant. I've had several Southern Tier beers now, and most have disappointed. I'm not sure I'll continue to sample from their line.

2.03/5  rDev -52.3%

Pours black with virtually no head. Just a small ring of brown on the rim. Very heavy Hershey like chocolate. Almost too much...actually it is too much. Sorry, this doesn't smell like beer, but some drink that should be in a martini glass. Flavor is hersheys with some alcohol burn. Has a slightly bitter finish. How did they get a flavor like this? Almost like the base was liquid chocolate and a few hops were added. Seems fake and artificial. Medium palate and oily. Not very good in my opinion. Way too much chocolate milk for me.

2.09/5  rDev -50.9%

22oz bomber poured into a mug

A - dark black with 0.5cm of head, if that.

S - Hershey's syrup and cocoa. not much else going on here

T - hershey's syrup tastes with two other weak chocolate-like taste, but it mostly tasted like watery chocolate syrup. alcohol was not noticeable, nor were any hops.

M - very watery, too thin to be an IS