Choklat (Blackwater Series) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Choklat (Blackwater Series)Choklat (Blackwater Series)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Reviews: 1,585 | Ratings: 5,222
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not usually one for writing 2 reviews on the same beer-but the difference between this beer the past 2 years makes it like two different beers. This is the most recent release on-tap.

A- Body is a viscous dark brown that is served with a nice one finger creamy creme brulee colored head which fades to a thick collar but leaves plenty of lacing behind in the glass.

S- Imagine being a child and walking into a fudge shop. Big, rich, robust smells of dark chocolate are all around with a hint of milk chocolate and maybe fudge. Its great.

T- A fountain of dark chocolate. Very rich and chocolate certainly dominates the flavor from start to finish with just a hint of roasted malt giving a subtle mocha presence as well.

M- Rich, thick, smooth, and creamy. Medium carbonation.

D- This has officially given Stone IRS a run for its money as my favorite stout. I liked last years version but this years is much richer and better,IMO. The only potential downfall for this brew is that its pretty one sided-and all chocolate. Different kinds of chocolate-sure (which I guess makes it somewhat complex)...but still all chocolate. Not something I am complaining about at all...besides its what the beer is supposed to be. I read that it was different this year and was somewhat hesitant to try it (especially with the way creme brulee turned out)...but this was a pleasant surprise! Job well done by ST!

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

At first glance this beer doesn't really look all the remarkable. It pours a deep black with only the merest hints of dark brown at the edges. Head is dark khaki, not quite a half finger at its zenith, and dissipates rather rapidly. Aroma is very good, bordering on excellent. At first it seems a bit subdued, I think to myself "ok, they used chocolate in this brew. nothing special". i didn't realize how wrong I was. I got distracted and walked away for just a few minutes and when i came back I found an entirely different beer. After this brew had a bit of time to warm up the aroma went from one-dimensional and average at best to damn near perfect. I picked up the glass, give it a little swirl and before the glass was a foot from my nose I was greeted with a most heavenly aroma. Good bittersweet chocolate, I mean really good bittersweet chocolate, REALLY good bittersweet chocolate. There are also some nice sweet caramel undertones present but this one is all about the chocolate. So at this point its fair to say that I'm impressed, however I've yet to even taste the brew and frankly thats the part that really counts. So I finally get to this and I am greeted with a flavor to match that delectable aroma. The focus of this beer is obviously the chocolate but there are subtleties here that make this all the more enjoyable. The chocolate is bittersweet, at first more sweet and later more bitter. The malt character is simply there to support the chocolate but very complimentary and by no means uninteresting. There is a slight caramel character, a bit of chocolate malt character (not the 'chocolate' flavor you usually get out of chocolate malt, thats covered by the real deal in this brew) and a building bitterness that can only be from the hops. There really isn't any detectable hop flavor here but the late bitterness is far too strong to be from the chocolate so the hops are the only possible culprit. The bitterness lingers only briefly, the sweetness a bit longer and the chocolate flavor longest of all. Call me crazy but in the aftertaste i detect a touch (no more) of black coffee and tobacco. Mouthfeel is quite good, medium-full bodied with low-medium carbonation. This brew manages to get the mouthfeel spot on. It is neither too heavy nor too light, it is simply perfect, it lingers on the plate with just the right weight for just the right amount of time. As for alcohol, I read the bottle an found out that this brew is not to be taken lightly at 11% ABV and I would never have guessed it. For a time I forgot that I was even drinking a beer. This seems more like homemade cocoa made with some really, really good chocolate. Drinkability is exceptional, I find myself suddenly finished with the a glass that I thought I started just a minute ago. This brew is by far the best chocolate stout I've had. I find myself contemplating the purchase of as much as I can carry despite these trying economic times and my usual frugal ways. Overall this is excellent, try it. Seriously. Do it. Do it now. Or do it later. Just try it.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours jet black with thin ½ finger dark tan head. No head retention and moderate lacing.

Strong chocolate nose with lots of milk. More milk chocolate than dark, but lots of cocoa as well. Big roast component as well. Slight burnt sugar fade appears, too.

Has to be the most chocolate malt I have ever tasted in a beer. Reminiscent of good hot cocoa, with cream. Starts sweet, much more so than expected. Cocoa kicks in midstream and finishes with a slight roast and hint of burning from the alcohol. Very nice.

Very nice body, but could be a tad bit thicker.

Very easy sipper. Hides the abv very well.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

Amazing. Ill forgo the technical review and just say this is a choc stout lovers dream come true. Category was hit with exceptional quality. Southern tier has some amazing beers but this is liquid gold. Just hope my supplier hasn't run out or it'll be another year before its back again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours dark brown, almost black, with no light coming through. there is a nice rich dark tan head that sticks to the side of the glass and leaves some spotty lacing as the bear is drank. very good looking beer.

S- WOW is all i have to say. the chocolate that pours of this thing would make u think ur drinking chocolate milk. It smells so tasty and has the best chocolate aroma i've every smelt on a chocolate stout. deff A+. there's is some backing of roasted malt but the chocolate is what comes through the most.

T- This beer is so rich in chocolate flavor. There is almost nothing else until the finish when u get some bitterness from the hops they use. very good flavor on this beer. ultra smooth.

M/D- good mouthfeel. coats ur palate very well. medium-heavy bodied. good long finish on this beer. chocolate lingers for a while after swallowing. very smooth for an 11% ABV beer.

If this beer is anything like it's blackwater series brother Creme Brulee, it would be absolutely amazing after a year of cellaring. If anyone has a couple extras throw em in ur basement and forget about them for a year.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

Finally getting to try the rare gem that is Choklat! Even with being a bit disappointed with the base stout, the hype has me excited for this on.

Dark as night pour, very deep and dark black. The head is nonexistent, but a swirl shows some alcohol and carbonation legs here.

Absolutely just straight chocolate on the nose. I’m thinking some kind of Belgian variety that gives it a bit of a crème and spice hint. This has some similar notes to the crème brulee. As it warms and sits this one is bringing out the hops that I somewhat dislike in the other black water series beers. This has me a touch apprehensive.

A huge chocolate flavor, but unlike the other black water series this has a nice bitter finish. It really brings out the roast and malt to complement the chocolate flavors. As for flavors, coco nibs, espresso, fudge, milk chocolate…wonderful.

Not a hint of alchol and the body seems to be just about right. A touch more silk would help things, but still solid.

I don’t get it. Why is this so much better in every possible way than the other beers in this series? The feel, the balance, the body, everything is just amazing. Easily one of the best chocolate beers I’ve had.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This ridiculously decadent brew pours ink black with a perilously thin ruby line that is barely visible when held to the light. The thick, frothy mocha head holds well but eventually disappears and leaves little to no lace. The aroma fills your nostrils as soon as the bottle is uncapped...

Thick luscious chocolate. It smells like warm moist brownies right from the oven then sprinkled with a bit of espresso. Bitter dark Belgian chocolate can be detected as well. Not too sweet, just pure chocolate indulgence. The booze can be detected a bit as the brew warms. Just a hint of burnt raisin as well in the end. Unbelievable aromatic. I can't take my face out of the glass long enough to give it a taste.

Initially this brew drops a welcomed ton of sweet milk chocolate on you, like drinking a glass of straight Hershey's Syrup, but it quickly levels out before becoming sickeningly sweet. The bitterness of more earthy dark baking cocoa comes out and really serves as the vocal point of this beer. Semi-sweet but still bitter and deep. Like a warm dark brownie smothered in creamy, sweet chocolate ganache. I can't imagine a beer being any more chocolaty. Sorry all you other brewers out there, I don't think it can be done.

Thick, syrupy and decadent. Lower carbonation makes for and even creamier, heavier mouthfeel with a hint of warmth that increases as the brew warms. Do yourself a huge favor and do not consume this one right from the fridge; let it sit and come up to about 50 degrees before you pour. The slick and creamy nature as well as so much of the flavor of the brew will be lost if you don't.

Well Southern Tier has now dominated two of my favorite secondary flavorings for beer. Every other Pumpkin (thanks to ST Imperial Pumking), and now every chocolate beer I try just seems inadequate. Southern Tier you are a a blessing as well as a curse. Ok, maybe I'm being a bit melodramatic but I just hope they don't decide to make a pizza flavored beer or I may die of malnourishment.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into my Stone RIS snifter.

A-Dark black, one finger of tan head. Pretty thin lacing.

S-Holy balls. Huuuge chocolate smell, fudge-like even. Roasted malts and alcohol undertone.

T-Chocolate bomb again. Roasted qualities, cocoa powder even? Warm alcohol and a tid-bit of hops finish the back end.

M-Thick, heavy, and full body. Medium carbonation. Surprisingly smooth. Wish the aftertaste would last a bit longer, but whatever.

D-The ABV is very well hidden for something of this caliber. BA says 9.1, but my bottle begs to differ. It registers at a whopping 11%.

Hell ya. This is what I want in a chocolate imperial stout. All other breweries take notes! Right now, as far as I'm concerned, there is no other chocolate stout.

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The pour is thick and dark, pretty much black with a normal/nominal mocha head.

The smells is pure milk chocolate. Every once in a while I think I might pick up a bit of roasted malts/coffee... no, just milk chocolate.

This is chocolate milk in a beer... excellent! Sweet, There's also a component of roasted malt and coffee that balances the sweetness quite nicely.

The beer is smooth and creamy with minimal carbonation. Makes it thick & viscous.

Some say Choklat is too sweet and I understand that point of view. I say, however, it is a wonderful example of chocolate flavors in a thick Imperial Stout. I could drink this every night after dinner for a wonderful treat. Well done, Southern Tier.

22oz bomber served at 45 degrees and poured into a Snifter Glass

A – Poured the thickest darkest brown chocolate syrup looking liquid I think I ever have seen. I mean this stuff looked serious. Almost had the consistency of chocolate syrup on the pour, but with a much darker color. A large three finger high head of rich tan colored lace then rose up and above it crowning the top wonderfully. This hung around for easily a few minutes before finally settling down and easing into just a thin layer of chocolate colored foam across the top which hung around until the very end. The side glass lace on this one was extraordinary as well, really coating the inside of the glass and doing on number on it throughout the entire session. Really quite a thick looking stout, I was definitely liking what I am seeing so far.

S – I will give you one guess as to where this was going with regards to the aroma. Deep rich milk chocolate covered this one entirely. Now I have had a few chocolate stouts in my day, but nothing came even remotely close to mimicking the smell coming off of this one. It was like something straight out of Hershey. Not the deep dark chocolate malt smell you are used to, this was rich creamy milk chocolate and the difference was never clearer then it was here. There was also a touch of bourbon like alcohol that you could pick up way in the back that was also making its presence known. This was not such a big player, but was more just giving you a little hint at some of the depth that was lying in waiting here.

T – I am not sure where to begin on this one. I have never tasted something that was more designed to be not only drank while eating dessert, but more to a be a dessert in of itself. This was just the most rich and creamy chocolate drink I think I have ever had. Really hard to quantify this as a beer from the flavor, it has almost no semblance of a beer like flavor. Such rich milk chocolate tastes that it was really hard to even find anything else that was hiding in the back, but if you really tried you could find it. First off this baby is over 11% ABV, and it has to be the smoothest I have ever seen for something so big. There was really no hint of the alcohol in the flavor at all; rather it was just a touch of bourbon or brandy like warmth that came through as you sipping. There was a touch of hops in the finish, just enough to dry it out and give you just a touch of bitter at the end. Overall though this was chocolates day to rule the roost and nothing was going to be its undoing in the one.

M – One of the smoothest, creamiest brews I have ever had the pleasure of trying. The consistency here was as smooth as silk, literally with a rich texture that was so thick and viscous, it almost redefined the style. There was just this mousse like quality to it that cannot be ignored. It was just a wonderful interpretation of the style and a really phenomenal beer.

D – This is the only category that gets a little tricky for me. Now…it is definitely a quality beer there is no disputing that, and for a late night sipper, it would be hard to find its equal. However there was a limit on this one as to how much you can actually sip. First off it is very strong, you may not think it is, but it is and it will catch up to you. Secondly there was the fact that it was so rich. After about the third glass I had reached my limit. It is so sweet that it is difficult to try and have much more, too sweet. But this should not be a knock as I probably just had them a little too fast.

Overall I don’t know what else I can say about this one. It was truly unique and unlike any that I had had previous. Truly a chocolate stout that all others should be measured by. This was definitely deserving of its reputation and is a fine example of the style. A wonderful beer that everyone should get a chance to try.

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

After the recommendation from a colleague at work I gave it a shot. The bottle recomends using a snifter glass and being served at 48 degrees, I used a pint glass and prefer it around 40 degrees and enjoy the variety of flavors as the beer warms.

A- Light carbonation that creates about 1 1/2 fingers of a milk chocolate colored head, that dissipates fairly quick for a stout, seated upon an opaque black coffee.

S- Dark chocolate lightly mingled with espresso.

T- Pure Cacao followed by notes of coffee and a mild vanilla. Upon exhale there is a surprisingly mild taste of alcohol considering how much of a high test beer this is.

M- Smooth while leaving an oily residue.

O- One of the best beers I have had to date.

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from a 650 ml bomber purchased at Rozi's Wine house a few weeks ago into my clean, clear Brewery Ommegang snifter. Review written "live" as I experience it.

A Great looking deep, deep black body under a nice, generous medium brown head. What an attractive look. It cannot look better.

S Chocolate is the most obvious and up front smell and it also sets it immediately apart from other stouts that I have had. It is a dark chocolate milk smell vs. a baker's chocolate smell like I get from other stouts sometimes. There is certainly a sweetness to the nose.

T Big dark chocolate taste but about 1/3 of the way through the taste it turns to a bitterness. This is not a harsh, uncomfortable bitterness but a nice, balanced chocolate bitterness and the bitter like malts come through. Maybe some hops too? If there are any the hops are way buried and only come through in the last 1/3 of the taste. The syrupy nectar remains well into the aftertaste as the bitterness gives way and I am left with a dark chocolate taste. What a great beer!

M Big, huge beer with not a lot of carbonation but chocolate and bitterness which fill you right up.

D I don't think that any stout is supposed to be extremely drinkable but this one is so delicious and appealing that I have to give it a high score.

Notes: This beer lived up to the hype for me.

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours a dark brown, nearly black color with a moderate tan head. The aroma and flavor are both fairly straight-forward, yet wonderful: chocolate. Total chocolate assault. Decadent, sweet and delicious. I feel like the aroma conveys the chocolate a bit better than the taste, but both are great. Body is good - no problems at all. Could maybe use a smidge more carbonation.

For whatever reason, and whether appropriate or not, this beer reminds me of some aspects of Dark Lord. It doesn't even remotely approach the complexity of Dark Lord, but the overall sweet chocolatey decadence is replicated here. Folks call this a dessert beer - but I think it's just a great beer to drink whenever you're in the mood for a great stout on the sweet side. This is the first year Georgia has gotten Southern Tier, and I plan to load up on this one. My favorite from the Blackwater Series so far.

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malted chocolate, powerful. Taste is delicious, chocolate, malts, a touch of bitterness, to easy drinking for 10% abv. Feels creamy and tasty in the mouth and overall a top notch beer worth checking out.

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%

It seems anytime the discussion on the Forum drifts into talk of "the world's chocolatiest beer", the first poster to type "Southern Tier Choklat" almost always adds the hopeful phrase, "...end of discussion". Of course, the discourse continues unabated, the ensuing posts on the subject mostly consisting of agreement about the fantastic fudginess that is Choklat-- and whether or not the posters love it or hate it. At any rate, I've finally got my own bottle at cellar temperature and I'm about to investigate the chocohype for myself...

A 22-ounce bomber bottle poured into my Duck-Rabbit snifter yields an ebony body with a twinkle of garnet at the periphery, capped with a finger's thickness of sticky khaki foam. The topping of fine bubbles recedes in short order to a pearly ring that leaves slim legs on the glass and quite a few freckles of lacing scattered about.

The smell is the first indicator that there is a chocolate bomb lurking in my snifter. Rich, dark, with a bit of winey fruit, the cocoa-confection aroma reminds me of the inside of a chocolatier's shop I visited in Brussels many years ago, where a lady was hand-dipping nougats and candied orange wedges in molten dark chocolate and laying them onto waxed paper in neat little rows. From the elixir in my glass wafts that remembered essence of fruity, sugary candies enrobed in Godiva's finest-- liquified and transported through space-time, beamed across the Atlantic and dumped into my glass. Lucky me!

The taste is chocolate-laden, of course, but where to begin at the descriptors? It's a chocolate jailbreak, with a shapeshifting torrent of semisweet morsels, fudge brownies, Bitter baker's chocolate, fruity squashy nibs... Hey! There's the beer! A nice malty... wait where'd it go? Oh, well... chocolate milkshake... Here's an almond Hershey bar, liquefied, Mister! Melt in yo' mouth! Bittersweet Special Dark miniatures... Would you care for a chocolate Dove ice cream bar, sir? Wait, there's something NOT chocolatey...WTF? Vanilla?! Punk! Get your sorry ass outta here! I always think cocoa nibs taste like winter squash... but I could dust it with some Dutch-process and powdered hot-cocoa mix for you... DAY-UMN! Overload...overload...

The whole chocolate family is here, vying desperately for attention, but at the root of the drink is a big bold beer that holds it all together. Underneath the wonderful chocolatiness of it all is a hefty, rich malty backbone that supports the flavor profile of tons of chocolate and a fair amount of hoppy fruitiness with just the right amount of bitterness and dark cereal to keep it all sane.

The drink is medium-bodied and silky-smooth, the gigantic ABV virtually invisible to me. Choklat is a sipper and a wonderful treat on a chilly day, but it isn't just a gimmicky chocolate beer, it is a truly superb stout, too... end of discussion?
Many thanks to Dr. Brad for the bottle!

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured out of a 22 oz. bomber into a trusty 16 oz. pint glass...

Appearance: Very dark brown -- about as dark brown as you can get without being black. A one finger tan head was present as well but did not last long at all.

Smell: Sweet chocolate, like Hershey's syrup and a strong presence of alcohol. I pretty much knew what would be coming with the taste.

Taste: Alcohol is easily the most present factor here, followed nicely by the chocolate. One thing I noticed as it went down is that the chocolatey aftertaste made it easier to drink as the alcohol was a little more pungent than I thought it would be.

Mouthfeel: Thicker than it looked from the pour - it was a little sticky and it dried the palate nicely from the alcohol. A very mellow carbonation factor helped make this a very smooth drink.

Drinkability: Great tasting stout with a wonderful effect on the mouth. The only things that would prevent me from making this a session beer is the high ABV and the weight -- it's awfully filling.

This is my first Southern Tier beer and I figure that this is about as great of a start that one can have with a particular brewery. Hats off to them!

No date on bottle.

Appearance: Pitch black like any other imperial stout. Looks good.

Smell: Insane chocolate smell as I open the bottle before I even pour it into the pint glass. Smells like straight up Hershey's chocolate syrup with a touch of alcohol.

Taste - Like chocolate milk with a touch of alcohol. Super chocolate, slight hop bitterness to balance. The only thing I don't like is the slight alcohol taste (but I'm picky with this in any beer) but it's barely there.

Mouthfeel: Creamy

Overall: One of my favorite imperial stouts and in my top 10 beers.

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours an inky black with maroon highlights when held to the light. A cardboard-colored head about half a finger in height caps this treat. It's small, but has some staying power and would probably remain there all night if I let it. A reverse waterfall of carbonation is visible on the sides, slowly making the climb upward.

Sweet baby chocolate! That's a decadent nose. Light, sweet cocoa powder with an enticing oakiness and some dark fruit flavors. Some mint, even. That's it: this is like an after-dinner Andes mint. Alcohol heat blasts through the nostrils. I'd tell you how it tastes if I could stop taking giant whiffs.

The flavors from the nose follow precisely in the taste. In fact, this is probably the truest nose-to-taste flavors ratio I've ever experienced in a beer. Bittersweet dark fudge and cocoa nibs, with a slight espresso bitterness that grips the sides and back of the tongue. The oakiness of quality red wine and the fruitiness of purple grapes hold court as well. Spicy Chinook and Willamette hops add a pepper bite and balance incredibly with the other flavors here -- this is a BEER.

Carbonation is a little high, but met with a chewy, silky mouthfeel. Satisfyingly full-bodied. Despite what alcohol I could pick up in the nose, I'm tempted to call Southern Tier to make them fix this ABV label. Eleven percent is obscene; I pick up about zero percent. The booze is incredibly well-hidden.

I've chocolate before, and I've had beer before. I've even had chocolate beer before. But NEVER have I experienced such an incredible blending of the flavors of each. Choklat doesn't just combine chocolate and beer; it takes the best characteristics of each and takes them to new heights. Bravo, Southern Tier.

Tasted from a snifter

A - Very deep brown/black, no light breaks through this murky beast. I got very little head when poured from a bottle.

S - Dark chocolate aroma that reminds me of being in a chocolate store. A very sweet and thick smell with the faintest of alcohol.

T - Deep Choklat taste that lasts. A roasty malt finish with a slight bite, but not as much as would be expected for a high ABV.

M - Silky smooth, full bodied, and thick.

D - This would be a great beer to unwind with or couple with a nice dessert.

Batch 01.

A post-dusk sky that is dark but not colourless. The beer is indeed quite black and quite opaque, but not insistently so as to not allow any highlighting. Brief dashes of maroon show the beer is far from listless. The initially bountiful head slowly dissipates but an impressive capping persists as does a tan outline rather accented for a beer of this strength.

The aroma establishes one thing first and foremost and that is that this beer - and its name - is being straightforward. This is chocolate. We could debate between whether it smells more like chocolate fondue or hot fudge or perhaps even just plain old bitter cocoa beans but it does not matter. This smell is stunning, it is radiant, it is superb. I have already bit in hook, line and sinker and made sure it is firmly fixed in and hitched to my mouth.

First taste will make that line firm - that hook is anchored in and it will not be going anywhere until all 650ml of this stout has disappeared. This is not the 'impression' of chocolate that you'd find in Russian Imperials or other stouts - this simply IS chocolate. You can nevermind notes of coffee, or vanilla, or licorice, or roast malts - this is a massive clump of melted chocolate and it could not taste any better than just the way it does.

A good Swiss chocolate comes to mind, as does a rich Belgian truffle. In smell it is like taking freshly baked chocolate chip cookies from the oven but in taste it is like coating a gooey brownie in chocolate fondue and hot fudge syrup. It is every permeation of chocolate known to man. Most accurately, perhaps, the flavour is that of a very bitter, bitter, bitter and dark, dark, dark cocoa. All this chocolate tastes authentic and exquisite yes, but the bitterness resounds at a tremendous magnitude as result.

And it may very well be too much if the taste should end there - but it doesn't. Flavours linger and by the end some sweetness kicks in. While it seems to go through the motions - from cocoa bean, to baker's block, to bubbly fondue, to rich decadent truffle - nowhere along the way is any of the staggering 11% introduced. Some beers go well with dessert, some may be rich enough to serve as dessert itself. That is certainly true for Choklat, although to call it simply 'a dessert beer' would be shortchanging the brewers.

Southern Tier seem to have one tool in their toolbox - a hammer. Like all their big beers, this is a humongous colossus of flavour and is brewing magnificence! The entire 'Black Water' series (which to date also includes the Oat, the Jah*va, and Creme Brulee) are all tremendous, stunning, damn near erotic beers but this must be my favourite. None of this has been embellished because frankly, it needs no embellishment: this is pure chocolaty decadence.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A-very black with a nice tan head, no lacing

S-really thick bittersweet chocolate. medium strength

T-comes in with real smooth, strong but not over powering chocolate malts. ends with a slight alcohol burn then a good after-taste of dark roasted chocolate malts that sadly doesn't last. this stout is well brewed but seems to be a little more subtle than the other Southern Tier stouts. I expected it to be a little more pronounced.

M-very heavy, low to medium carbonation with a slightly dry finish

D-its a really good but there are a lot of good stouts out there and this wasn't just doesn't stand as tall, even compared to some of the other Southern Tier stouts. I did enjoy the whole glass through and the high ABV wasn't too apparent.

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%

A: Pours a tinted dark chocolate brown with just the slightest burnt crimson hue. Viscous and sludgy like melted brownies. Hershey's chocolate syrup and motor oil poured into a glass. A dark mocha and caramel frothy head. Decent retention. Little to no lacing. However, this is no surprise considering what a syrupy delight this beer appears to be.

S: Amazing rich milk chocolate aroma. If you melted the finest dark chocolate bars into a bowl and poured it over chocolate ice cream. A slight touch of bourbon towards the back of the nose. Chocolate syrup and fudge scents dominate throughout this beer. I have never had a beer that smells exactly as the name states.

T: Literally a chocolate mousse dessert in a bottle. A liquefied and luxurious buttery cocoa confection. Roasted sweet dark chocolate with powered cocoa sprinkled on top. Creamy molasses and brown sugar mixed with chocolate liquor. Pure and creamy decadence. Little hints of caramel and vanilla. However, chocolate is the main attraction. Quite frankly I cannot think of any more synonyms for chocolate that will do this justice.

M: Medium to heavy bodied with a smooth richness that is quite impressive. Sweet, fluffy, and chewy.

D: This beer is beyond drinkable if you like chocolate. Southern Tier has really impressed me by bringing another over the top beer. I would love to drink this everyday but much like anything this divine it should be enjoyed in moderation. The Mayans were onto something in more ways than one.

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A.Black with a tan head. Leaves a lot of lace around the glass.

S.Honestly smells like Nestlé Quick. Pure scent of sweet chocolate.

T.Milk Chocolate. Absolutely no flavor of alcohol.

M.Thick and smooth, goes down too fast to consume slowly.

Overall this is an incredible stout. I can see how some people would hate considering it doesn't taste like beer in any way but its still great.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Wow, the smell the smell the smell on this god damn beer. Smells immediately as you open. Smells like chocolate syrup, chocolate milk, and mocha coffee. It's heavenly

as for the uninteresting part it pours an immense black color with a tan head.

Creamy, chocoholic and sensational. Carbonation is very low but the beer is incredibly smooth and velvety. There's definitely big chocolate flavors as well as touches of caramel and cream. Hops present themselves just enough to make this thing a cloyingly sweet malt bomb. (It's not cloying in the least) It's dessert in a bottle, much like south tiers crem brulee. This is god damn delicious.

Heavenly. and 10% abv? good night ya'll

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Got in a trade with johnnnniee - many thanks! Poured from a 22oz bomber into a snifter per the label instruction. No date on it but since it had the clear stick-on label I know it is the 2008 release. It was black in color even against the light. No sign or carbonation and no lacing. It had a small brown head that very quickly evaporated into the thinnest of collars.

The aroma was amazing. Very heavy on the chocolate - choc syrup like. Only issue is that there wasn't much beyond the chocolate to offset it a bit. The chocolate was great but could have used a little something else. The taste was exceptional. Again, heavy on the chocolate but not much beyond that. Needed some more traditional stout flavor to compliment it. Still outstanding but just misses being perfect. Mouthfeel was also excellent. Heavy, creamy, chewy.

Overall, an outstanding beer that I highly recommend. Worthy of the high ranking and hype. Gotta find some more of this to drink now and to age for later. Would be a big player in my fridge if avail here.

Choklat (Blackwater Series) from Southern Tier Brewing Company