Choklat (Blackwater Series) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Choklat (Blackwater Series)Choklat (Blackwater Series)
4.26/5
Choklat (Blackwater Series)Choklat (Blackwater Series)

Southern Tier Brewing Company

#692

Ratings: 5,276 |  Reviews: 1,594
2.23/5  rDev -47.7%

served on-tap @ Flying Saucer, Kansas City, MO, into a tulip

Pours an inky, super-dark black color. You can see your reflection quite clearly in the glass thanks to the opacity. Very satisfying. Nearly two fingers of mocha head sit on top, but dissipate fairly briskly. A wonderful looking beverage.

My words upon smelling this: "Oh, c'mon!" This is a cartoon of a beer. Utterly ridiculous. The smell is all semi-sweet chocolate chips and Hershey's chocolate syrup, and maybe a bit of chocolate flavor Dole pudding. It is very chocolaty. Bracingly, cloyingly sweet. Where's the malt? Where's the anything-that-isn't-chocolate? The beer garners props for masking its 11% ABV, I suppose. This is absolutely one-note, and while it may be an enjoyable note in a ridiculously-strong-scented-candle-from-a-novelty-items-catalog sort of way, it isn't the quality or quantity of note that makes for a good aroma score in a beer.

The taste is only minutely less absurd. Choklat tastes like chocolate ice cream and alcohol sweetness. The alcohol is well-masked in a lot of ways; there isn't any heat to speak of. But it does give some sweetness, which is appreciated as it makes for a flavor that is something besides cheap, novelty chocolate. There might even be a dusting of espresso on the finish, but I'm trying to be too generous to this beer. It sucks. This schlock is over-the-top in all the wrong ways.

Surprisingly, this beer is quite thin in the mouth. It nails all of its chocolate flavors the way it wants to, but it doesn't provide a satisfying heft to best express the chocolate bonanza. It's slick and unwieldy. I give the drinkability props for masking the booze; if you can stomach this sugar-bomb than you should have little difficulty with a bomber, let alone the glass poured on-tap.

This beer is a caricature. I can't decide whether I am more appalled at the beer itself or the numerous very high scores it has received on this site. This beer represents most all of the things that American brewing does wrong.

2.3/5  rDev -46%

22 oz bomber from local Binny's

A: dark black pour with a minimal tan head
S: chocolate is there with a weird astringency. Dark chocolate is the predominant smell.
T: big chocolate front with an astingent/steel aftertaste that wrecks it. Almost undrinkable.
M: OK
D: Sorry folks, this may have been a bad bottle but I think it's just over the top for me, not balanced, not even a sipper, just too much of something off-putting in there. I would try this again only if someone else has a tasting or something, too many other good stouts out there.

2.31/5  rDev -45.8%

Review from 4/17/09 notes. Pours black with creamy tan head. The only thing I smell is chocolate. Tastes, again, like bitter, super rich, chocolate. Just absolute chocolate overkill, much like creme brulee is also overkill. Tastes like ST liquified brownies and blended it in with stout. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy with plenty of carbonation. Because of the unbalanced chocolate, this was a drain pour. Unfortunately, the last four Southern Tier brews I've had now - Cuvee One, Creme Brulee, Pumpking, and Choklat - have all been drain pours.

2.33/5  rDev -45.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Re-review of a lightly chilled bomber into a glass. Received from Buddha22 in a recent trade. Thanks man.

A: Pours a pitch black in the glass, with a surprisingly light tan head that rises to half a finger in height. Retention is short; the head collapses into a very thin collar, with no lacing.

S: They're serious about this bad boy. Plenty of bittersweet chocolate in the nose; there's a roasted, grainy quality to it, but I can't pick up much else. It's quite inviting, if a bit one-dimensional.

T: The taste initially promises to be one-dimensional, as well. But it shapes up quite nicely. Lots of chocolate on the initial taste; it's milky, but there are some darker bittersweet elements to be found, too. A small roasted malt presence introduces coffee-like counterbalance. This is a very fresh bottle, and the hops are noticeable; they contribute an herbal, almost tannic bitterness that carries a light astringency into the aftertaste. The beer is far from saccharine, which is unusual for Southern Tier; just the same, the sweetness builds up, especially halfway through the bottle.

M: Full-bodied and chewy. Definitely a warming stout; the ABV is noticeable but hardly dominant in the flavor. As mentioned above, the beer builds on the palate. The low carbonation isn't enough to scrub the residual flavor, but the bitter, almost tannic hoppiness (sure to fade in non-fresh bottles) contrasts it a bit.

D: Unfortunately, I wound up drinking a bomber of this alone. The first few sips were tasty, but they became progressively heavier and sweeter by the middle of the bottle, and I threw out the second half. I think this experience has beaten any future craving I might have had for Choklat out of me.

2.36/5  rDev -44.6%

2.36/5  rDev -44.6%

22oz bottle. Dark brown, bordering on black in the glass, with a small, dissipating head. The aroma is super-sweet caramel and chocolate syrup in a dead-on Hershey's impression; add on some marzipan and hazelnut. That in itself is interesting to say the least. The flavor is shockingly sweet chocolate syrup, light roasted malt husk, and smooth alcohol. The body is full and sticky, with low carbonation. In all honesty, this was interesting in how well it impersonated Hersheys syrup, but it did not make for a good beer; no complexity or anything nearing balance, just all sweet sugary alcoholic syrup. Definitely couldn't finish a bomber of this.

Rerate: Interesting experiment: I had half a bomber of this left last night, even after having two of my roommates take a shot at it as well, so I froze it overnight. This evening I partially thawed it and poured off the flat, concentrated remains. Holy chocolate liqueur! You could make a mean choco-tini with this stuff. I would have, but I seem to have misplaced my chocolate vodka as well as already pouring this down the drain. Maybe I could have made chocolate pudding with this?

2.5/5  rDev -41.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.51/5  rDev -41.1%

V.07

Dark & viscous, with subdued carbonation after an intial explosion. Hershey's syrup in the nose, and not much different with the taste. Buying an offering given the name, I was expecting copious amounts of chocolate. It's there, and not much more is going on, aside from some rounded lactic notes. No real complexity. This finishes with a nasty, bitter aftertaste. I'm glad I didn't stockpile.
I like the experimental aspect, but this doesn't taste much different than your friend's concoction where melted chocolate was simply poured and blended into a beer.

2.54/5  rDev -40.4%

Poured into a us tumbler

A: Black, can only see a bit of red if held up to a bright light. Thick head about 4 fingers tall that persisted for a long time

S: Strong chocolate smell, smells like alcohol. I did not like the smell.

T: Very sweet, bitter chocolately flavor, then turns into a malty flavor then dominated by alcohol.

M: At first very smooth and thick then again dominated by alcohol.

O: If I wanted to get drunk I would drink a 22oz bottle of this as it has plenty of alcohol. A lot of people really like this beer so take my review with a grain of salt, but I really didn't care for it, I found the smell, taste, and mouthfeel all dominated by alcohol.

2.6/5  rDev -39%

A: Pours a deep black with some ruby highlights. Foam is almost non-existant

S: Chocolate. Basically thats it. Some malt and alcohol coming through, but not much else

T: I've noticed other people referring to the cheapness of the chocolate taste. It took me a couple of sips to identify it, but finally it came to me. This tastes exactly like a chocolate tootsie roll pop. Kind of a "fake" chocolate taste. Overpowers all else.

M: Low for an IS. Kind of watery.

D: I struggled to get through the whole 22 oz bottle.

Overall, I would say this is my least favorite IS that I have tried. I wouldn't recommend it...unless you love tootsie roll pops.

2.6/5  rDev -39%

Pured from bomber, served cold -- approx. 40 degrees

A: A rather flat, pitch black bold coffee. Not cloudy or yeasty, just black

S: Burnt chocolate, bitter herbs, a sort of sour mash note as well

T: Truthfully, I was let down. Rather flat, lacks carbonation. Dark, bitter chocolate dominates or rather over powers.

M: Dense and chewy.

This is a unique style, that does have an air of quality -- may appeal to some, but was not for me.

2.61/5  rDev -38.7%

As dark as can be with half inch tan head. Minimal lacing.
Smell, well, exactly like chocolate Necco waffers. Not bad, per say, just not "quality" chocolate.
The taste was more of the same. All bland sweet chocolate with just a bit of alcohol and bitterness in the finish. Bad aftertaste that was a real flem machine.
Really the only good thing I can say is this one is it has got a rich and full mouthfeel. Almost creamy in texture.
I can understand some people digging this for beer floats or whatever, but otherwise it is way over-hyped IMO.
No interest in finishing the bottle, but the wife was happy to.

2.72/5  rDev -36.2%

Thanks to jjpm74 for the bottle.
Hmm, another disappointment from Southern Tier... From a brewery I have always been excited about trying beers from, I haven't had a single one I would ever get again, from them and this was no different... Pours a rich black, with only slight shades of ruby coming through, and next to no head which didn't last even from a vigorous pour. Smell is very light alcohol and cheap chocolate and an artificial chemical component. Reminds me of the Shenandoah Chocolate Donut Beer in a bad way... Taste is somewhat rich, fake chocolate again and little else. Moderately balanced bittersweetness with a nice mouthfeel and light carbonation, but when its coming from something that smells like cheap melted hersheys, wax and preservatives, who cares? If you're going to add this much of some outside ingredient aside from the actual brewing process, you ought to make it fresh, or high quality, and I don't get the impression they did that at all here. Drinkable, but I would never recommend this as more than a mere novelty.

2.75/5  rDev -35.4%