Choklat (Blackwater Series) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Choklat (Blackwater Series)Choklat (Blackwater Series)
4.26/5
Choklat (Blackwater Series)Choklat (Blackwater Series)

Southern Tier Brewing Company

#690

Ratings: 5,276 |  Reviews: 1,594
2.6/5  rDev -39%

Pured from bomber, served cold -- approx. 40 degrees

A: A rather flat, pitch black bold coffee. Not cloudy or yeasty, just black

S: Burnt chocolate, bitter herbs, a sort of sour mash note as well

T: Truthfully, I was let down. Rather flat, lacks carbonation. Dark, bitter chocolate dominates or rather over powers.

M: Dense and chewy.

This is a unique style, that does have an air of quality -- may appeal to some, but was not for me.

2.61/5  rDev -38.7%

As dark as can be with half inch tan head. Minimal lacing.
Smell, well, exactly like chocolate Necco waffers. Not bad, per say, just not "quality" chocolate.
The taste was more of the same. All bland sweet chocolate with just a bit of alcohol and bitterness in the finish. Bad aftertaste that was a real flem machine.
Really the only good thing I can say is this one is it has got a rich and full mouthfeel. Almost creamy in texture.
I can understand some people digging this for beer floats or whatever, but otherwise it is way over-hyped IMO.
No interest in finishing the bottle, but the wife was happy to.

2.72/5  rDev -36.2%

Thanks to jjpm74 for the bottle.
Hmm, another disappointment from Southern Tier... From a brewery I have always been excited about trying beers from, I haven't had a single one I would ever get again, from them and this was no different... Pours a rich black, with only slight shades of ruby coming through, and next to no head which didn't last even from a vigorous pour. Smell is very light alcohol and cheap chocolate and an artificial chemical component. Reminds me of the Shenandoah Chocolate Donut Beer in a bad way... Taste is somewhat rich, fake chocolate again and little else. Moderately balanced bittersweetness with a nice mouthfeel and light carbonation, but when its coming from something that smells like cheap melted hersheys, wax and preservatives, who cares? If you're going to add this much of some outside ingredient aside from the actual brewing process, you ought to make it fresh, or high quality, and I don't get the impression they did that at all here. Drinkable, but I would never recommend this as more than a mere novelty.

2.75/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.82/5  rDev -33.8%

2.92/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

2.93/5  rDev -31.2%

A - tall dark tan head. A bit more Ted around the edges than I would expect from a chocolate imperial stout.

S - smells of a mix of chocolates. Quick mix mostly though, some expensive truffels, and a Hershey bar tossed on for good luck

T - actially, too much chocolate for me. I can not fault it for that though since that is what this brew is about. Multiple chocolate typemixed together in liquid form, with a mild alcohol finish

M - mild coating and only a slight alcohol burn in the throat.

D - not my bag, only as a potential "dessert wine" type of thing.

2.94/5  rDev -31%

Appearance - Very dark with a creamy mocha colored head.

Aroma - Dark chocolate dominates the nose.

Mouth feel - Full bodied stout with small bubble carbonation.

Taste - Bitter bakers chocolate with an alcohol finish.

Overall - It smells much better than it tastes. The bitterness of the dark chocolate is overwhelming and in my opinion ruins the experience.

2.96/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bottle. Started at 45d. I was not a fan of this beer. The best thing thing about it to me is the strong and inviting chocolate aroma. It's there up front at the start and remains present throughout. But there is also a strong alcohol presence in both the smell and taste that overrides the nice chocolate. At 10% ABV the booze overpowers the chocolate and anything else. Not sure what to pair this with other than dessert. I would much rather have the fantastic Organic Chocolate Samuel Smith at half the alcohol and exponentially more flavorful and enjoyable.

2.97/5  rDev -30.3%

A HUGE thanks goes out SBALDWIN for this controversial brew. I owe you one buddy!

I couldn't find a freshness date on the bottle, but did read a nice little snippit about the Mayans and xocoatl (ch-co-atle). Let's do this!

I poured it into an oversized wine glass despite wanting to pour it into the usual pint glass. The bottle told me not to...this bomber poured an opaque black with a thin brown head that bubbles and fades as fast as it took me to type this out. A little ring of brown creams leaves a minute amount of sticky lacing. This is one DARK brew!

I think I smell a Tootsie Roll...there are lots of super sweet chocolates in the nose. Smells spectacular! It's almost synthetic, however, which leads to some notes of oats and leather that make it through.

Where did the chocolate go? It's a malty mess with only a hint of burnt chocolate. I was expecting sweet and instead I get hit with this burnt, bitter, fakeness...from the supposed chocolate I presume.

The mouthfeel is way too thin for an impy stout. It seems they went a bit overboard on the carbonation too. It bites the tongue and holds it prisoner, and not in the good way either.

There is no way this can be percieved as drinkable. The alcohol might not be present, but the overwhelming power of the fake chocolate and burnt malts kills any chance of this beer being quaffed, let alone enjoyed in my book.

I wanted so badly to like (LOVE) this beer, I really did. I've just begun my imperial stout journey and this beer has got me a bit nervous. This brew was just too one dimensional for me. I was expecting chocolate cake in a bottle and instead I got a smellavision hologram with no substance...huge letdown. I might be stupid for saying this, but I am curious about it's cellaring prospects. I normally give a beer a second chance and unfortunately (or fortunately, it depends on the outcome) this beer is no exception.

2.98/5  rDev -30%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Finish is not great. Disappointed