Choklat | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Added by BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Reviews: 1,567 | Ratings: 5,162
3.22/5  rDev -24.6%

2007 vintage

A_Pours a very dark black with a small tan head. Nothing really more to be said other than that.

S_The smell is dominated by a scent of fudge or better yet brownie mix. There is a bit of alcohol as well.

T_Very rich fudge is the best way to describe this. There are hints of espresso and alcohol but rich chocolate dominates here. The aftertaste is bitter chocolate again. Not overly complex but very chocolatey which is what I suppose they are going for.

M_A bit viscous with a light but hard carbonation. Works well here.

D_Very potent chocolate which while nice may be a bit too much for a beer. I am sure a year of sitting has tempered the alcohol somewhat which is a good thing. Decent enough but not my cup of tea.

3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

I poured this one from a 22oz brown bomber bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A= This stout poured a heavy jet black color with cola brown highlights around the edges. There was only the slightest hint of a tan head. Zero lace down the glass.

S= I found the aroma completely dominated by chocolate syrup and alcohol. Granted, those two things smelled pretty good together, but still very one dimensional for a big stout.

T= Much like the smell, the flavors were dominated by the syrupy chocolate notes. Only the slightest hint of roasted malts, and those were not apparent until the aftertaste. Alcohol was present, but not overpowering.

MF= Actually this had a much better feel than I expected. Medium-heavy body, solid yet soft carbonation.

D= Very one dimensional. It is easy to drink this and forget the huge ABV. Not something you will want to drink multiple glasses of however.

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

Holy Chocolate Batman! Deep brown color with a dood size brown head, minimal carbonation. Aroma is dominated by sweet chocolate. Flavor is initially chocolate and then some vanilla and earthy notes. Surprising not as sweet as you would think with as much of a chocolate dominated flavor as this one has. Medium bodied. Very nice IS!

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

A- Nice dark brown, almost black beautiful beer with a large big toe width of a tan head. The head looks like a deflating blow up bouncy castle as it settles into the dark liquid.

S- Smells like liquid chocolate syrup, or tootsie roll. The wafting alcohol is also there as well ready to pounce on your smelling senses.

T- That same chocolate syrup smell comes with the taste. Is this a stout with chocolate syrup added to it? Tastes that way. The chocolate taste seems to be a separate entity instead of a part of the beer. The roasted malt character does come through in the end but it is quickly covered by the chocolaty taste again.

M- Feels good in the mouth, like I have said before, dark roasted chocolate milk with carbination added.

D- Easy to drink, should have aged this one. Perhaps it will be better in the longer run.

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Thanks to Justin for sharing.

A: Poured into snifter. Completely opaque with a very small dark brown head.

S: Huge aroma of sweet chocolate and vanilla. As its swirled, the nose intensifies. Behind the initial aroma there is some malty sweetness lingering.

T: Sweet chocolate syrup initially. Bitter and sweet chocolate follow, with a hint of vanilla and very slight fruitiness. Bitterness stands up and keeps the malt in check. Very well balanced and dangerously drinkable

M: Big bodied, with low carbonation. Alcohol is hidden well, with very slight warming. I'd never guess the ABV.

D: Fit for a king, maybe 2.

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Got this from an LiF with with Joeybeerbelly. Thanks! Poured tonight into my pint glass...

A: Pitch black. The pour at first looks as if this is completely lacking carbonation, but alas a small brown skim of head appears.

S: Hershey's chocolate syrup, bakers chocolate, a little bit of roast and cocoa

T: Pure chocolate up front. Tons of chocolate taste with not much malt or roasted malt backing. Semi-light and not complex. Finish has a definite alcohol that is not pleasant.

Overall, not a bad beer, but not one that I would seek out again. It is too one dimensional and lacking some characteristics a big stout should have in my opinion.

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

i had the pleasure to go up to lone hill in glendale today and after searching the fridges i asked if they had anything special in the back. and i was presented with this gem. poured half for myself and half for the little lady. mine was poured into a new belgium goblet and hers into a sam adams double bock tulip. weird thing. the tulip pour produced a nice two finger head, the goblet produced no head.

appearance is dark rich brown. tiny tiny ruby highlights at the bottom.

smell is of Hershey's syrup. some chocolate chips, and a handful of m&ms. im sure im just smelling a intense glass of chocolate milk rather than a beer.

taste is to die for. absolutely sinful. rich chocolate invades my senses and leaves me begging for more. sweet all the way through.

mouthfeel is great. a touch of carbonation with a nice thickness to the brew. good body. mmm

i would drink this beer again without a doubt. worth every cent of the fifteen bucks i dropped on it.

if you see this beer and dont buy it then you have no soul.

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

What a wonderful chocolaty stout! Nose is romantically chocolate,as well as tasty. I didn't think chocolate and beer can go so well together. This is a wonderful dessert beer, as well as a delicious change from the hops and malt varieties. Any stout lover can appreciate this treasure!

4.29/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: Honestly, it was thin with little to no head. My first impression was that of flat dr. pepper. Disappointing I must say, but it does get better.
Smell: if only words could describe it justly but they can't. Here's an attempt. An appealing aroma of Heresy's chocolate syrup and raisinnets. There was no alcohol aroma to it at all. The smell alone was enough to tell me I was going to enjoy every last drop.
Mouth feel: very thin, but to be expected based on the pour. But it enveloped the mouth causing a spontaneous smile to appear across your face.
Taste: maybe I can be pardoned for this one because I am a girl but...yummy. Truly the taste of this beer by far blew away my expectations. It was a candy bar and not just any candy bar, but the best one you can imagine. It melted in your mouth and rolled smooth down your throat causing a slight disappointment that you now had one less lustrous swallow than before.
Drink ability: well, can you ever turn down a really fantastic beer? I think not. It is smooth and yet mild enough to have on a consistent basis

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Obtained during my pilgrimage to Lone Hill in Glendora and re-reviewed on 2/21/09.

A: Poured thin and flat into my 13.25 oz. snifter. Exhibited a dark chocolate color that was somewhat appealing, but nothing special.

S: Pure chocolate!!! The most alluring and tantalizing aroma I have ever experienced in a beer. Along with the deep and dark chocolate overtones, hints of caramel and perhaps peanuts were evident as well.

T: It reminded me of a dark Hershey's Kisses....and as my friend pointed out....M&M's. It wasn't just chocolate I was tasting, it was basically pure happiness in a bottle. The alcohol was hidden remarkably well, giving me a slight warming sensation after every sip.

M: After observing the thin pour into my glass, I was surprised to find a very thick substance swirling around my mouth. Light on the carbonation...just about perfect.

D: Could drink forever.

Overall: This is not only the best Chocolate Stout I have ever had, but one of the best brews ever!!! I had high expectations before trying this out, and it still blew my mind. This is one that every beer lover needs to try.

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a snifter.

Appears an opague black with a half inch tan head that sinks down to a some scattered bubbles.

Aroma is like smelling a melted pot of sweet chocolate. That's pretty much all I'm getting except for a bit of alcohol in the background.

The taste starts out with the same chocolate from the aroma - exquisite - but after the swallow a bitter property comes out over the initial rich sweetness and I actually get some coffee-like bitterness. Finishes a lot like a mocha coffee. The hops are their but they are only noticeable way in the back and end up overpowered by CHOKLAT.

Mouthfeel is nice and thick and really velvety like fine chocolate.

After trying the Young's Double Chocolate and not liking it I was pretty skeptical of these chocolate beers but this one really pulls it off. Great tasting beer that never ends up being too sweet. I mean it actually tastes like a beer. Would make a great dessert beer, or as I am consuming it, a fine nightcap.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

307 reviews as of this writing. Wow, finally a chance to try one of these. 2007 vintage, thanks to clockworkorange for this. so, what stands out to me most is how silky smooth and hwo well the choklat comes through in complement to the roasted grains and light hint of hops. Definitely worth a buying / trying if possible.

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Notes are minimal, for I wrote while enjoying with a friend:

thoroughly black, roasty tan head...

aroma: full on chocolate at first sniff...huge, rich, and bittersweet...it's no more or less than having real chocolate beneath your nose.

BAM! There it is all over the mouth. You're drinking chocolate. nice roast below the cocoa. good drinking, not too think, not AS thick as I like from a RIS ...but it's all chocolate. I like a few other things ,sometimes...

that's enough, don't you think?

4.49/5  rDev +5.2%

The beer is pitch black and pours almost like motor oil. There is a nice tan head about a centimeter in height with incredible retention. Not much carbonation is showing through the beer. The nose on nose on the beer smells exactly like tootsie rolls! It's incredibly pleasing. The beer is bitter with a nice alcohol warming in the background with a beautiful chocolate flavour in the foreground. It's complex, yet the flavours are profound. The mouthfeel is thick as fuck. The beer is really sweet, but I could find myself drinking it quite easily.

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

Served a little cooler than cellar temperature, around 6 months aged in my first cellaring attempt, plus however long from it's last release. I decided tonight was a good enough reason to crack it as it's my girlfriends absolute favorite beer, and I can't help but deny it's awesomeness and how good it sounded.

22oz bottle to goblet, pours a heavy oily black pretty much opaque shade with a slight reddish glow. Frothy tan head fades quick, but tastes delicious when active, fades to wonderful lacing.

Smells of Hersey's chocolate syrup and I mean heavy! cocoa, almost lactosey perhaps from the flaked barley, slight alcohol pang, smells amazing, the best smelling chocolate stout ever!

Taste is smooth bittersweet dark chocolate, yum! Never have I tasted a beer with such a real chocolate flavor, creamy almost, bitter hops hide in the back by the chocolate bomb of malts and real belgian choco, nicely blended heat - almost unnoticeable but not really hiding itself either, slides down the tongue, roasty barley, caramel, vanilla bean notes, would love to see a barrel aged with vanilla bean version, or even a regular BA! Amazing! one of my top favorite big stouts ever - if it were more widely available I would stock up and share it on special occasions.

mouthfeel is creamy, smooth, oily alcohol, with a bitter hop kick, the abv is hidden amazingly - a near perfect beer, or one at least close enough to me :D

4.59/5  rDev +7.5%

Thanks to gunhaver for cracking this open at the RBSG 08 Grand Tasting. Pours pitch black with a light tan head. Lace is dense and massive. Aroma is out of this world. I can't even really imagine a more intense chocolate aroma. Smells like brownie mix tastes. Flavor is a little less obtuse, with semisweet chocolate, an appreciable amount of roast, and and finish that rings of tootsie rolls. Great beer.

A: opaque with a dark brown frothy head. I poured this one aggressively.

S: Heaven in a bottle. Milk chocolate, almost like Hershey's syrup. Very sweet with a little roastiness and no alcohol.

T: Sweet milk chocolate, but a well-balanced sweetness that isn't overpowering. Some caramel and roasted barley. Finishes strong on the chocolate with less of the initial sweetness, which I really enjoyed.

M: Very creamy, fairly low carbonation.

D: Is this really 11% ABV? This is the easiest 11% beer I've ever had. There's nothing I don't like about Choklat. I could drink it every day, and it's in my top 5 beers of any style, if not #1. I'm a lover of big stouts and chocolate, and this beer has everything.

3.96/5  rDev -7.3%

A: Deep dark and black. Tall, thin, whispy tan head which stood for only about a minute.

S: Alcohol up front. followed by coffee, then coco.

T: Lots of chocolate, and coco. Followed by the coffee. (I think this would do better w/o the coffee - imo)

M: Nice and thick and very chewy. Big beer.

D: Southern Tier may be one of the most underrated and unknown gems around.

3.33/5  rDev -22%

Deep and dark, basically black. Thin to medium tan head, not much retention. Smell is overwhelmingly dark chocolate. Some sugary sweetness to it but mostly dark, bitter, melted chocolate. I like this, I think...is it beer, though? Smells like it should be in solid form rather than liquid. Taste is pretty nice. Definitely an assault with the chocolate again. Dark, rich, liquid chocolate. What more can be said? Oh yeah, it gets really sweet. I like this better than the smell because it adds a hint of roast to the mix along with a faint green hop bitterness. Still, though...the chocolate, it's lovely. Just too much chocolate, not enough beer. Close to a full bodied brew with a good feel for sure. Good level of carbonation. I wish this were more drinkable but unfortunately for me, it's not. Takes quite a while to consume. I'd prefer splitting this with three people, even. One of those brews that is on the brink of being brilliant but it's just slightly held back. Add a touch more roast, a little more depth, and this is one amazing brew. As is, it's quite one-dimensional and reminds me of Mike Tyson. It packs a heavy chocolate punch but has too many other issues to be a consistent knockout...damn, that was bad.

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

Total blackness except for the thinnest of red lines at the bottom of the glass. Light tan level dentable head.

Incredible rich chocolate aroma.

There's probably a stiff malty backbone here, but its chocolate coated. A surge of earthy hops balance he sweetness and make a nice bit at the swallow. Finishes with a gobs of Hershey syrup.

Smooth, rich, thick, syrupy, lush.

Takes dangerously drinkable to new heights. Extra thick chocolate milk at 11%. Probably shouldn't have two in one night, but the thought will come up.

Chocolate beer has a new standard bearer.

4.48/5  rDev +4.9%

Twenty-two ounce brown bottle, no dates.

Inky opaque black. Think dark tan coloured head. Not much in terms of head retention - not surprising considering the high octane nature of Choklat. Very minimal lacing left on the glass.

Undoubtedly there is chocolate in the nose. Some other roast character mingles as well, but make no mistake, the star of the show is the bittersweet Belgian chocolate.

Intense chocolate flavour throughout. Some great coffee and roast malt flavours are in there, too. It takes a bit of patience for them to show through, but they are there, and really help to keep that chocolate flavour from becoming one dimensional. Thick, full bodied drink, almost milkshake like. Gently carbonation. Delicious desert beer.

4.87/5  rDev +14.1%

Deep, deep black color. Not a lot of carbonation I was expecting more chocolate milk looking head. Aroma assaulted me as soon as it was poured. Just a huge hunk chocolate cake and imperial goodness. Reminds me of walking into a kitchen of fresh baked goods. Its all over the place aroma wise. Flavor is heavily chocolate with a roasted and sharp bite against a mellow, dessert like sweetness. Perfect body-very full though moderate on the palate. Very slight dryness after the full sweetness and chocolate flavors. Faint alcohol. Amazing beer. Could not do this all night as it becomes too much. I had a bottle a few months back and was so overwhelmed I didnt know what to make of it. Definately lacks some of the "imperial notes" you might be looking for but this is simply an amazing beer IMHO. Appreciate it for what it is I say. Yummy.

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

So far the best beer I have tried from Southern Tier. In comparison I beleive I like the Rogue Chocolate stout a little better, a little easier to drink in my opinion but this is a very solid beer. It pours a black color nearly opaque. It smells like I just poured nestle quick on my chocolate icecream. The tast is seriously like nestle quick, brings me back to my childhood when I would sneak a few swigs while mom wasn't watching. The mouthfeel if very nice and creamy. Its a highly drinkable beer but not something I could drink all night I think I would go into a sugar coma :D Amazing an 11% alcohol beer that you can not taste the alcohol @ all!

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

I was lucky enough to have this on draft at the Publick House in honor of Phin's appearance. The distributor rep said they had not planned on having it, but made a last minute change to have it on tap for the evening. I was very excited to experience a glass based upon the recent thread that posed the question, what is the most chocolate tasting beer available?

The beer was deep brown, bordering on black. Aroma was almost exclusively cocoa powder. There was no doubt about the flavor of this beer long before it ever touched your lips. There was a very creamy tan head that remained for a while then faded back into the black magic.

The taste was a burst of chocolate and really did remind me of bittersweet or unsweetened chocolate. Certainly a "big" flavor that asked you to savor the beer slowly. I was almost shocked that you couldn't really detect the high alcohol level as you drank the beer. Very nice. Later as it warmed considerably, you could definitely note the warmth from the alcohol but this was neither distracting nor unpleasant.

Drinkability was rather high for a single serving meaning this is no session beer.

Very nice effort, only outdone by the Crème Brulee Stout. But that's a story for another review!

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

A- Pours a nice dark brown and is almost completely opaque

S- Super chocolatey and sweet

T- Very chocolatey, sweet, and definately notes of cream. No alcohol taste (or burn) at all, which is pretty impressive for 11% abv.

M- Thick and creamy not unlike chocolate milk...
Very mild carbonation

D- Almost dangerously drinkable.

This is the easily the chocolatiest (if thats a word) of chocolate stouts.

Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing Company