Choklat | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Reviews: 1,561 | Ratings: 5,142
4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

i had the pleasure to go up to lone hill in glendale today and after searching the fridges i asked if they had anything special in the back. and i was presented with this gem. poured half for myself and half for the little lady. mine was poured into a new belgium goblet and hers into a sam adams double bock tulip. weird thing. the tulip pour produced a nice two finger head, the goblet produced no head.

appearance is dark rich brown. tiny tiny ruby highlights at the bottom.

smell is of Hershey's syrup. some chocolate chips, and a handful of m&ms. im sure im just smelling a intense glass of chocolate milk rather than a beer.

taste is to die for. absolutely sinful. rich chocolate invades my senses and leaves me begging for more. sweet all the way through.

mouthfeel is great. a touch of carbonation with a nice thickness to the brew. good body. mmm

i would drink this beer again without a doubt. worth every cent of the fifteen bucks i dropped on it.

if you see this beer and dont buy it then you have no soul.

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

What a wonderful chocolaty stout! Nose is romantically chocolate,as well as tasty. I didn't think chocolate and beer can go so well together. This is a wonderful dessert beer, as well as a delicious change from the hops and malt varieties. Any stout lover can appreciate this treasure!

4.29/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: Honestly, it was thin with little to no head. My first impression was that of flat dr. pepper. Disappointing I must say, but it does get better.
Smell: if only words could describe it justly but they can't. Here's an attempt. An appealing aroma of Heresy's chocolate syrup and raisinnets. There was no alcohol aroma to it at all. The smell alone was enough to tell me I was going to enjoy every last drop.
Mouth feel: very thin, but to be expected based on the pour. But it enveloped the mouth causing a spontaneous smile to appear across your face.
Taste: maybe I can be pardoned for this one because I am a girl but...yummy. Truly the taste of this beer by far blew away my expectations. It was a candy bar and not just any candy bar, but the best one you can imagine. It melted in your mouth and rolled smooth down your throat causing a slight disappointment that you now had one less lustrous swallow than before.
Drink ability: well, can you ever turn down a really fantastic beer? I think not. It is smooth and yet mild enough to have on a consistent basis

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Obtained during my pilgrimage to Lone Hill in Glendora and re-reviewed on 2/21/09.

A: Poured thin and flat into my 13.25 oz. snifter. Exhibited a dark chocolate color that was somewhat appealing, but nothing special.

S: Pure chocolate!!! The most alluring and tantalizing aroma I have ever experienced in a beer. Along with the deep and dark chocolate overtones, hints of caramel and perhaps peanuts were evident as well.

T: It reminded me of a dark Hershey's Kisses....and as my friend pointed out....M&M's. It wasn't just chocolate I was tasting, it was basically pure happiness in a bottle. The alcohol was hidden remarkably well, giving me a slight warming sensation after every sip.

M: After observing the thin pour into my glass, I was surprised to find a very thick substance swirling around my mouth. Light on the carbonation...just about perfect.

D: Could drink forever.

Overall: This is not only the best Chocolate Stout I have ever had, but one of the best brews ever!!! I had high expectations before trying this out, and it still blew my mind. This is one that every beer lover needs to try.

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a snifter.

Appears an opague black with a half inch tan head that sinks down to a some scattered bubbles.

Aroma is like smelling a melted pot of sweet chocolate. That's pretty much all I'm getting except for a bit of alcohol in the background.

The taste starts out with the same chocolate from the aroma - exquisite - but after the swallow a bitter property comes out over the initial rich sweetness and I actually get some coffee-like bitterness. Finishes a lot like a mocha coffee. The hops are their but they are only noticeable way in the back and end up overpowered by CHOKLAT.

Mouthfeel is nice and thick and really velvety like fine chocolate.

After trying the Young's Double Chocolate and not liking it I was pretty skeptical of these chocolate beers but this one really pulls it off. Great tasting beer that never ends up being too sweet. I mean it actually tastes like a beer. Would make a great dessert beer, or as I am consuming it, a fine nightcap.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

307 reviews as of this writing. Wow, finally a chance to try one of these. 2007 vintage, thanks to clockworkorange for this. so, what stands out to me most is how silky smooth and hwo well the choklat comes through in complement to the roasted grains and light hint of hops. Definitely worth a buying / trying if possible.

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Notes are minimal, for I wrote while enjoying with a friend:

Choklat

thoroughly black, roasty tan head...

aroma: full on chocolate at first sniff...huge, rich, and bittersweet...it's no more or less than having real chocolate beneath your nose.

BAM! There it is all over the mouth. You're drinking chocolate. nice roast below the cocoa. good drinking, not too think, not AS thick as I like from a RIS ...but it's all chocolate. I like a few other things ,sometimes...

that's enough, don't you think?

4.49/5  rDev +5.2%

The beer is pitch black and pours almost like motor oil. There is a nice tan head about a centimeter in height with incredible retention. Not much carbonation is showing through the beer. The nose on nose on the beer smells exactly like tootsie rolls! It's incredibly pleasing. The beer is bitter with a nice alcohol warming in the background with a beautiful chocolate flavour in the foreground. It's complex, yet the flavours are profound. The mouthfeel is thick as fuck. The beer is really sweet, but I could find myself drinking it quite easily.

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

Served a little cooler than cellar temperature, around 6 months aged in my first cellaring attempt, plus however long from it's last release. I decided tonight was a good enough reason to crack it as it's my girlfriends absolute favorite beer, and I can't help but deny it's awesomeness and how good it sounded.

22oz bottle to goblet, pours a heavy oily black pretty much opaque shade with a slight reddish glow. Frothy tan head fades quick, but tastes delicious when active, fades to wonderful lacing.

Smells of Hersey's chocolate syrup and I mean heavy! cocoa, almost lactosey perhaps from the flaked barley, slight alcohol pang, smells amazing, the best smelling chocolate stout ever!

Taste is smooth bittersweet dark chocolate, yum! Never have I tasted a beer with such a real chocolate flavor, creamy almost, bitter hops hide in the back by the chocolate bomb of malts and real belgian choco, nicely blended heat - almost unnoticeable but not really hiding itself either, slides down the tongue, roasty barley, caramel, vanilla bean notes, would love to see a barrel aged with vanilla bean version, or even a regular BA! Amazing! one of my top favorite big stouts ever - if it were more widely available I would stock up and share it on special occasions.

mouthfeel is creamy, smooth, oily alcohol, with a bitter hop kick, the abv is hidden amazingly - a near perfect beer, or one at least close enough to me :D

4.59/5  rDev +7.5%

Thanks to gunhaver for cracking this open at the RBSG 08 Grand Tasting. Pours pitch black with a light tan head. Lace is dense and massive. Aroma is out of this world. I can't even really imagine a more intense chocolate aroma. Smells like brownie mix tastes. Flavor is a little less obtuse, with semisweet chocolate, an appreciable amount of roast, and and finish that rings of tootsie rolls. Great beer.

A: opaque with a dark brown frothy head. I poured this one aggressively.

S: Heaven in a bottle. Milk chocolate, almost like Hershey's syrup. Very sweet with a little roastiness and no alcohol.

T: Sweet milk chocolate, but a well-balanced sweetness that isn't overpowering. Some caramel and roasted barley. Finishes strong on the chocolate with less of the initial sweetness, which I really enjoyed.

M: Very creamy, fairly low carbonation.

D: Is this really 11% ABV? This is the easiest 11% beer I've ever had. There's nothing I don't like about Choklat. I could drink it every day, and it's in my top 5 beers of any style, if not #1. I'm a lover of big stouts and chocolate, and this beer has everything.

3.96/5  rDev -7.3%

A: Deep dark and black. Tall, thin, whispy tan head which stood for only about a minute.

S: Alcohol up front. followed by coffee, then coco.

T: Lots of chocolate, and coco. Followed by the coffee. (I think this would do better w/o the coffee - imo)

M: Nice and thick and very chewy. Big beer.

D: Southern Tier may be one of the most underrated and unknown gems around.

3.33/5  rDev -22%

Deep and dark, basically black. Thin to medium tan head, not much retention. Smell is overwhelmingly dark chocolate. Some sugary sweetness to it but mostly dark, bitter, melted chocolate. I like this, I think...is it beer, though? Smells like it should be in solid form rather than liquid. Taste is pretty nice. Definitely an assault with the chocolate again. Dark, rich, liquid chocolate. What more can be said? Oh yeah, it gets really sweet. I like this better than the smell because it adds a hint of roast to the mix along with a faint green hop bitterness. Still, though...the chocolate, it's lovely. Just too much chocolate, not enough beer. Close to a full bodied brew with a good feel for sure. Good level of carbonation. I wish this were more drinkable but unfortunately for me, it's not. Takes quite a while to consume. I'd prefer splitting this with three people, even. One of those brews that is on the brink of being brilliant but it's just slightly held back. Add a touch more roast, a little more depth, and this is one amazing brew. As is, it's quite one-dimensional and reminds me of Mike Tyson. It packs a heavy chocolate punch but has too many other issues to be a consistent knockout...damn, that was bad.

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

Total blackness except for the thinnest of red lines at the bottom of the glass. Light tan level dentable head.

Incredible rich chocolate aroma.

There's probably a stiff malty backbone here, but its chocolate coated. A surge of earthy hops balance he sweetness and make a nice bit at the swallow. Finishes with a gobs of Hershey syrup.

Smooth, rich, thick, syrupy, lush.

Takes dangerously drinkable to new heights. Extra thick chocolate milk at 11%. Probably shouldn't have two in one night, but the thought will come up.

Chocolate beer has a new standard bearer.

4.48/5  rDev +4.9%

Twenty-two ounce brown bottle, no dates.

Inky opaque black. Think dark tan coloured head. Not much in terms of head retention - not surprising considering the high octane nature of Choklat. Very minimal lacing left on the glass.

Undoubtedly there is chocolate in the nose. Some other roast character mingles as well, but make no mistake, the star of the show is the bittersweet Belgian chocolate.

Intense chocolate flavour throughout. Some great coffee and roast malt flavours are in there, too. It takes a bit of patience for them to show through, but they are there, and really help to keep that chocolate flavour from becoming one dimensional. Thick, full bodied drink, almost milkshake like. Gently carbonation. Delicious desert beer.

4.87/5  rDev +14.1%

Deep, deep black color. Not a lot of carbonation I was expecting more chocolate milk looking head. Aroma assaulted me as soon as it was poured. Just a huge hunk chocolate cake and imperial goodness. Reminds me of walking into a kitchen of fresh baked goods. Its all over the place aroma wise. Flavor is heavily chocolate with a roasted and sharp bite against a mellow, dessert like sweetness. Perfect body-very full though moderate on the palate. Very slight dryness after the full sweetness and chocolate flavors. Faint alcohol. Amazing beer. Could not do this all night as it becomes too much. I had a bottle a few months back and was so overwhelmed I didnt know what to make of it. Definately lacks some of the "imperial notes" you might be looking for but this is simply an amazing beer IMHO. Appreciate it for what it is I say. Yummy.

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

So far the best beer I have tried from Southern Tier. In comparison I beleive I like the Rogue Chocolate stout a little better, a little easier to drink in my opinion but this is a very solid beer. It pours a black color nearly opaque. It smells like I just poured nestle quick on my chocolate icecream. The tast is seriously like nestle quick, brings me back to my childhood when I would sneak a few swigs while mom wasn't watching. The mouthfeel if very nice and creamy. Its a highly drinkable beer but not something I could drink all night I think I would go into a sugar coma :D Amazing an 11% alcohol beer that you can not taste the alcohol @ all!

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

I was lucky enough to have this on draft at the Publick House in honor of Phin's appearance. The distributor rep said they had not planned on having it, but made a last minute change to have it on tap for the evening. I was very excited to experience a glass based upon the recent thread that posed the question, what is the most chocolate tasting beer available?

The beer was deep brown, bordering on black. Aroma was almost exclusively cocoa powder. There was no doubt about the flavor of this beer long before it ever touched your lips. There was a very creamy tan head that remained for a while then faded back into the black magic.

The taste was a burst of chocolate and really did remind me of bittersweet or unsweetened chocolate. Certainly a "big" flavor that asked you to savor the beer slowly. I was almost shocked that you couldn't really detect the high alcohol level as you drank the beer. Very nice. Later as it warmed considerably, you could definitely note the warmth from the alcohol but this was neither distracting nor unpleasant.

Drinkability was rather high for a single serving meaning this is no session beer.

Very nice effort, only outdone by the Crème Brulee Stout. But that's a story for another review!

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

A- Pours a nice dark brown and is almost completely opaque

S- Super chocolatey and sweet

T- Very chocolatey, sweet, and definately notes of cream. No alcohol taste (or burn) at all, which is pretty impressive for 11% abv.

M- Thick and creamy not unlike chocolate milk...
Very mild carbonation

D- Almost dangerously drinkable.

This is the easily the chocolatiest (if thats a word) of chocolate stouts.

3.42/5  rDev -19.9%

This beer was a nearly opaque brown, clear, with a half finger head. I tried shining an LED flashlight through it and almost nothing came through.

Aroma was all chocolate at first, sweet and sugary. The comparison I red below to Hershey's Syrup is a valid one. Roasted grains came through only when I went hunting for them.

Taste was of strong roasted grains, followed by a splash of bitterness. A burst of alcohol came through at the swallow, and the finish was faint chocolate with that lingering bitterness. The chocolate came through stronger when I took a much larger swallow, but the bitterness was much greater as well. Not a great trade-off.

Mouthfeel was much too thin for a double stout. It just didn't pull it together for me.

Drinkability gets low marks too. It was all I could do just to finish the bottle. Of course, since I can open my throat and drink a lot at once, and I was looking for a buzz, I managed to do it.

4.67/5  rDev +9.4%

Appearance - pours cola colored, but sets up quite opaque in the SA glass. A sparse cover of light mocha, some thin but sticky suds plant lace rings around the glass.

Aroma - Hershey's syrup, with a light touch of roasted grain. Mmmm...

Taste - sweet roasted grain up front, followed immediately by a dark chocolate syrup flavor. Chocolate stout is right. Some alcohol warmth on the swallow followed by an absolute wave of bittersweet chocolate, I believe there is some hop bitterness mixed in there, too. Finishes warm, with melted chocolate and a boozy warming in the belly. A little candyish at times, and the abv has moments where it tends to overpower the other flavors. Great beer.

Mouthfeel - a little thin for an impy stout. The carbonation is even and though it has a nice smoothness, the body could be a little bigger too.

Drinkability - this is one of those beers where I could care less about the abv. An absolute dream to think of drinking a few of these in an evening. I don't think I could, it would be a waste to put this beer across tastebuds that are dulled out. An awesome treat that I'll nab more of it they brew it again. Interesting to see what a few years will do to this. I'd like to see some melding of flavors and mellowing of the alcohol age this into one killer brew.

4.44/5  rDev +4%

Black and grey 22 oz. bomber bottle with a wrap around silk screened label. The main picture is that of 4 dark chocolate squares stamped with the Southern Tier symbol. To the right of the picture is a Snifter with the proper serving temp, the Mayan symbol for chocolate, the beer's specifications, ingredients, and 3 lengthy paragraphs. The frist two paragraphs talk about the histoy of chocolate from it's humble start with the Mayans and how it was made popular by Louis XIV. The last one talks about how well chocolate works with Southern Tier and that this beer is part of their Black Water series. Like every other Southern Tier big beer bottle, the only thing missing is a date of some sort. A vintage year would be sufficient.

Appearance: I followed Southern Tier's suggestion and poured this beer into a Snifter. I don't have a Southern Tier Snifter, so I poured it into "Maudite" Snifter. When it was poured, this beer actually looks like they melted down chocolate. Not a milk chocolate, but one of those dark chcoclate bars that are from 90% to 100% cocoa beans. The color of this beer was absolutely great, but the head of foam was less to be desired. I guess chocolate shouldn't have a head of foam on it. The head of foam was about 1/2 inch in height and a dark tan/mocha color. it would have been nice if the head of foam didn't quickly dissipate into just a handful of tan/mocha rings. No streaks of lace or even spots of lace. At least the beer had it's color going for it!

Smell: It would be an under statement if I just said that this beer smelled like chocolate. It smelled exactly like they melted down quite a few 90% to 100% cocoa bean chocolate bars. There were many different types of chocolate in the aroma. There was Belgian chocolate, bitter dark chocolate, a hint of milk chocolate, and rich chocolate malts. It would smell exactly like a chocolate milkshake if it wasn't for the subtle touch of roasted barley flakes that was hiding in the background. There was no other new aroma after the barley flakes. I don't see how any aroma could get pass the excessive chocolate aroma. A pleasure to smell! I couldn't get enough of this chocolately aroma.

Taste: Was this beer sweet, at first. Not only was the first taste a form of sweet milk chocolate, but there was plenty of candy sugar riding along with the chocolate. After the appearance and aroma, I thought that this beer was going to taste like chocolate all the way, but the candy sugar said "Nope!" After the candy sugar the taste goes slightly bitter with bitter dark chocolate, Belgain chocolate, chocolate malts, a hint of roasted barley flakes, a tiny touch of bitter roasted hops, a splash of alcohol, and this this sweet chocolately beer finishes up with more candy sugar. It would have been to nice have a beer that tasted just like chocolate, but it was also nice to see the chocolate let out a few more flavors from the back. Sometimes it got too sweet, but it's still a great beer to drink.

Mouthfeel: It was a full bodied beer, but it just barely made over the medium bodied border. It featured a chocolately and slightly bitter aftertasteof candy sugar, bitter dark chocolate, Belgian chocolate, and chocolate malts. This chocolately aftertaste will stick around in your mouth for a few seconds. My bottle says this has a 11% ABV. Are they kidding? There's no way it was that high. If I had to guess the ABV%, I would say somewhere in the 8% to 9%.

Drinkability: Boy is this beer sweet! I use the term "sweet" in a good way and as reference to the beer itself. This beer can get a bit on the sweet side, but it's a frickin' chocolate beer. It has to be sweet! If you like chocolate and who doesn't, then you need to wrap your lips around this sweet treat! it would be a pleasure to drink this beer once again.

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

Darkest chocolate brown with garnet glimmerings at the bottom edge of the glass. Not a black hole. An attractive chunk of golden beige colored foam sits atop the beer. It looks like a thick and creamy coffee milkshake as it melts, leaving a fine sheet of tattered and torn lace as it does so. This is a gorgeous stout.

The aroma is everything I'd hoped for and more. Choklat is the chocolatiest smelling beer that has ever entered my glass. In fact, it smells more like chocolate than beer... which is why it isn't quite perfect. I wonder how many times the word chocolate will be used in this review. Answer: 13.

Unlike the nose, the beer actually tastes like a chocolate stout, not melted chocolate. Leave it to Southern Tier to get the proportions of roasted barley and chocolate (both malt and the real thing) juuust right. Rogue Chocolate Stout has just been dethroned.

It's hard to describe the flavor because I can't stop drinking the beer long enough to put it into words. Here goes... double chocolate ice cream covered with fudge sauce, cocoa nibs and a light dusting of espresso powder. Each mouthful is a rich chocolate explosion of epic proportions. An ABV of 11.0% has to be a misprint.

Chinook and Willamette hops provide just enough spicy fruitiness and bitterness to take Choklat to the next level. Any brewery can add high-quality chocolate to their double stout, but only one of the very best can craft an exceptional beer in the process. And there's no doubt that this is exceptional beer. It says so right next to the 5.0 on the scoring menu.

Although the mouthfeel is great, it isn't as fantastic as it could be. A little more melted chocolate silky creaminess and viscous chewiness would have earned it the ultimate number.

It's a tribute to the talented brewers at Southern Tier that Choklat is the best chocolate stout that I've ever had and Jahva is the best coffee stout. There's no doubt in my mind that this is the most delicious marriage of roasted malt, Belgian chocolate and hops that the world has ever seen. Thanks a million far333.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

Chocolate beer? Hell yes! For anyone, and I mean anyone, who enjoys chocolate, this will be the beer for them. From first smell, to final sip, this beer screams chocolate.
Serious-the smell is of a fine Belgian chocolate, the taste is like a chocolate milk shake made from that fine Belgian chocolate, mixed with some love and a fat doughboy called Yeasty-the alcohol smacks ya right in the kisser with a handful of baby powder....so don't tickle this doughboy in the belly, this is a serious beer for those who will accept and submit to a chocolate flavored treat. Wow!

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

22 oz. bottle, 11% ABV. Pours nearly jet black, maybe some brown hues. Nice mocha head that holds together well, especially considering the size of this beer.

What a nose on this. Tons of chocolate syrup, chocolate chip cookies, fudge, and brownies. This is every bit as rich and robust as it sounds in the aroma department. I don't think a chocolate beer could smell any better.

Huge amounts of chocolate and caramel malt give this a slight cookie dough feel. Chocolate syrup and fudge, and brownies. Just a bit of bitterness to keep this from being too sweet. There are so many layers of different chocolates.

Thick and creamy like a milkshake. Alcohol is very well hidden. What an incredible dessert beer. This thing is top notch.

Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing Company