Choklat | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Reviews: 1,575 | Ratings: 5,184
4.07/5  rDev -4.7%

Drank this with my good friend William Pang (Queens, NY).

This brew pours a very solid dark, dark brown, with a thin tan head and very nice lacing all the way around.
The smell is absolutely fantastic. At first it is complete chocolate, but that gives way eventually to a roasted malt scent and alcohol bite.
The taste contains a lot of alcohol. It almost overpowers the nice, thick chocolate taste, but not quite. After the chocolate subsides there is a definite roasted, toasted flavor from the malt in the background.
This beer is very thin in the mouth. Unlike most beers of this variety, this one's strong chocolate profile does not leave it thick and unbearable.
Overall, a very good tasting and smelling beer. Somewhat more alcoholic tasting than I prefer, but still a good beer. I wouldn't recommend trying to drink more than one at a time, however.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

This beer truly replicates Belgian dark chocolate. Pours very dark with minimal carbonation and head. Nose is very aromatic, dark chocolate with strong vanilla overtones. Flavor is distinctly Belgian chocolate, smooth but with a dry, slightly bitter aftertaste. The only shortfall is that it isn't as thick and creamy as one would expect for the fullness of flavor. The light-ish body, though, may contribute to how drinkable this is.

4.79/5  rDev +12.2%

Served in a snifter a couple weeks ago at Fatheads.

The appearance was very much black with a very thin tan head that quickly faded to a mere ring, but still managed to leave some lacing.

The smell; it was exquisite! Being a dark chocolate fiend, I quickly fell in love with this beer! Dark chocolate all the way with hints of roasted malts and alcohol.

She tasted even better than I could have possibly imagined. Sweet chocolate dominated, with some vanilla and a slight flavor of dark roasted barley and coffee at the finish.

Exceptional mouthfeel. It was quite thick and had perfect carbonation.

The drinkability of this is not quite perfect, but is an exceptional sipper. The only thing that would have made this experience any better would have been a sampling of dark chocolates. Yet another excellent offering from Southern Tier!

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance: Delicious, decent head, though it was fast retreating.

Smell: Cocoa all the way, with the faintest whiff of alcohol.

Taste and Mouthfeel: I'd been waiting for this beer for a long time and it lived up to the hype as the 'chocolateyist' beer ever. It was delicious, a chocolate beer through and through, and the 11 percent alcohol was only evident in the effect not the taste. My only complaint was a lack of depth, perhaps some nutty flavors or a touch of coffee or roasted barley. But just the element of surprise is now a very difficult feat for me and this one did it, worthy of the title of extreme beer.

Drinkability: Awesome, though it is borderline cloying, and high in alcohol and would be in need of a good pairing, anything that goes with chocolate would do quite nicely.

3.97/5  rDev -7%

Poured in a 9 ounce tasting tumbler, number 3 in a series of tastings for the 2010 Holiday.

A- Black, thick black with syrupy texture. Paper thin lace in leiu of head.

S- Dark, semi-sweet chocolate is very forward in the nose of this brew, followed by malt.

T- Chocolate! But more of a dark chocolate (less sweet), with a hint of caramel and a very slight note of vanilla.

M- Flatter, but still smooth and silky which makes up for the lack of bubbles.

D- I like "Mokah" the best so far in the Southern Tier Blackwater Series, but this is a very close 2nd for a chocolate stout. Very drinkable, but I'd like to age this a year or two to take the edge off the alcohol note.

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Pours a dark black color with a thin caramel colored foam head. Has an aroma of roasted malt and chocolate, perhaps some hints of caramel. Has a... surprise... rich chocolate taste. Starts sweet. Then the bitters hit, with the light carbonation halfway through. Then has a velvety chocolate finish, that gently lingers perfectly. Very tasty. Thickens nicely as it warms to really balance it out.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

A- 4 Choklat pours a very dark brown (borderline black) with a 1/4" dark khaki head. The bubbles are varied in size (edit-they become more uniform as time passes). There is a relatively small amount of lacing. Overall, this stout looks pretty good.

S- 4.5 Like you'd expect, there's a strong aroma of chocolate and cocoa right up front in the nose of this one. It reminds me of chocolate milk, or even more so, hot chocolate powder mix. I can detect a hop bitterness just barely mixed in also. It is very slight. This aroma has to be what ST was seeking! Very nice.

T- 4.5 This tastes just as good as it smells in a little bit different way. It is a bittersweet (I'd assume from the hops) chocolate that has a little heat/booze behind it, which wasn't detectable from the aroma, but I like that because it reminds me that I am drinking beer and not chocolate milk... The dark malts are present but not as up front as the chocolate. This is a very good-tasting chocolate brew.

M- 4 Choklat is just above medium in body. It has a good carbonation level. It coats the mouth well despite not being as thick and creamy as I would've expected. Still, a good smooth feel to it.

D- 4 I really enjoyed the Choklat experience; it is as much of a pure chocolate-tasting brew that I've had. (Young's Double Chocolate Stout comes to mind, but it's been awhile so I'll have to compare again to be sure.) The beer is not the most balanced in the world because of the choco-domination, but it works just fine. I wouldn't want to have more than a bomber of this, but I certainly wouldn't pass it up. This is the second offering I've had from ST (2X IPA), and so far I'm very impressed!

4.54/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a growler into Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Pours a pitch black color with a large, creamy, dark tan head. Excellent retention and lacing. Smell reminds me of straight up chocolate milk. Not much beer aroma going on with it, I would swear it's chocolate milk if I were blindfolded. Taste definitely follows suit. There is bitter and sweet chocolate notes right up front. There is some lingering alcoholic notes and a bittersweet finish. Medium carbonation and full bodied. The beer's finish is long a sweet. This is definitely one of my favorite flavored Imperial Stouts, definitely recommend giving it a try if you can get it.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Appearance: Pitch black and opaque. An aggressive vertical pour yields a finger of tan head that seems to hang about a decent while.
Smell: Milk chocolate, dark malt, dark fruit and a hint of floral notes.
Taste: Lactic acid, fresh coffee, coco nibs, Dutch process coco powder, raisins and prunes.
Mouthfeel: Acidic, tingly, medium body and slightly creamy
Overall: High marks across the board. Not my favorite chocolate stout but in my top three.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

There is not much more that needs to be said about this gem, that hasn't been said . This is probably my favorite offering from Southern Tier. Super strong hit of chocolate once we opened the bottle. Our bottles were 15 months old when we cracked them and I am glad we waited. Some what thick ,yet not super chewy, and super smooth for sure. Chocolate, chocolate milk, and fudge notes with some vanilla. As the beer sits at room temp, the alcohol becomes more pronounced and yummy ! This is one amazing product. Although this is a big beer, it is well hidden and could creep up on you before you know it ! If you know what I mean. I love this beer in the 22 oz form !

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours a pitch black with a nice creamy head, typical of stouts. The smell is immediately dark chocolate. Taste is heavy on the roasted malts, very heavy bordering on burnt. The chocolate is pronounced and very heavy. Mouthfeel is incredibly chewy, the high ABV is so prevalent that it almost changes the texture. Aftertaste is a bit intense due to the extremely high ABV. Drinkability is notched down just a smidge and I can't believe I'm saying this but it's mainly due to the overwhelming presence of alcohol. Still tremendously delicious though.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Enjoyed this bad boy in a snifter.

APPEARANCE

As with most Imperial Stouts, this guy is jet black. The head was just a pinky - it was a nice mocha-brown color, and it disappeared fast. How dark was it? I can tell you that it will stain a perfectly good Founders T-Shirt - I know from experience!

AROMA

As you'd expect, the biggest aroma is CHOCOLATE! Bittersweet chocolate to be exact. Very sweet in the nose, it had a nice big malty presence. There was just a smidge of coffee, and a little bit of burnt sugar, caramel, and toffee. There was also a slight boozy smell from the alcohol.

TASTE

Once again, the biggest flavor was CHOCOLATE! Go figure. This is certainly not just a chocolate bomb, however... It had lots of roasted malt and a little big of a grainy taste. It wasn't over-the-top sweet (like the Crème Brûlée from Southern Tier. There was a little alcohol heat. I even tasted a hint of citrus flavor, as well as a medium amount of bitter coffee (but not as much as other imperial stouts I've had). There was a chocolate syrupy taste, but after it warmed up it kind of mellowed out and blended with the other flavors.

MOUTHFEEL

Big ol' stankin sticky sweet stout! It was fairly creamy, but not quite as smooth as other stouts I have had (in comparison, the Oat stout made by Southern Tier was very smooth). This beer was very warming due to the high alcohol.

OVERALL

This is another one of the big ol' stankin stouts made by Southern Tier. Like the other ones, this beer would be a great after-dinner beer or night cap, especially in the winter. Break this beer out on Christmas Eve and you'll be ready for bed in no time. Really great stuff!

2.97/5  rDev -30.4%

A HUGE thanks goes out SBALDWIN for this controversial brew. I owe you one buddy!

I couldn't find a freshness date on the bottle, but did read a nice little snippit about the Mayans and xocoatl (ch-co-atle). Let's do this!

I poured it into an oversized wine glass despite wanting to pour it into the usual pint glass. The bottle told me not to...this bomber poured an opaque black with a thin brown head that bubbles and fades as fast as it took me to type this out. A little ring of brown creams leaves a minute amount of sticky lacing. This is one DARK brew!

I think I smell a Tootsie Roll...there are lots of super sweet chocolates in the nose. Smells spectacular! It's almost synthetic, however, which leads to some notes of oats and leather that make it through.

Where did the chocolate go? It's a malty mess with only a hint of burnt chocolate. I was expecting sweet and instead I get hit with this burnt, bitter, fakeness...from the supposed chocolate I presume.

The mouthfeel is way too thin for an impy stout. It seems they went a bit overboard on the carbonation too. It bites the tongue and holds it prisoner, and not in the good way either.

There is no way this can be percieved as drinkable. The alcohol might not be present, but the overwhelming power of the fake chocolate and burnt malts kills any chance of this beer being quaffed, let alone enjoyed in my book.

I wanted so badly to like (LOVE) this beer, I really did. I've just begun my imperial stout journey and this beer has got me a bit nervous. This brew was just too one dimensional for me. I was expecting chocolate cake in a bottle and instead I got a smellavision hologram with no substance...huge letdown. I might be stupid for saying this, but I am curious about it's cellaring prospects. I normally give a beer a second chance and unfortunately (or fortunately, it depends on the outcome) this beer is no exception.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

I had this on-tap a The Firkin up in Libertyville, IL.

Poured in a 10oz tulip. Opaque, deep dark caramel if black and brown had a baby this is it. Massive cocoa and chocolate malt milkshake on the nose. First taste is more of same. Head is tight but dissipates to nothing. Lacing is thin but repetitive and sticky.

This beer seems to be a love-hate kind of thing. Personally I love it...but rated drinkability rather low since I could never have more than one per sitting.

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a solid black with a 2 finger thick coffee-colored head that dissipates slowly to a thin skin.

This chocolate stout does not lack the chocolate! Hints of dark cherry and sweet caramel are present also.

The great thing about this beer is the different layers of chocolate taste. It moves from a sweet chocolate up front, to a bittersweet dark chocolate in the middle, to a milk chocolate end. Black cherry, caramel, coffee and light smokiness are also detected.

Mouthfeel is lighter than expected probably due to the high carbonation for the style. Sticky and slightly creamy. The ABV% is disguised well but detectable.

Overall, this is a fantastic brew. Not my first choice in styles but perfect for a night capper on a winter's day.

4.84/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One dimensional? Yes but let it be known this is the king of chocolate stouts. Southern Tier knows big stouts and this is a gem in their lineup. Minimal head lacing non existent the smell is chocolate lovers bliss and the taste definitely follows. The alcohol is so well hidden when it's cold you'll be checking the bottle again. The finish and aftertaste is chocolate punch in the taste buds.. You like chocolate and sweet stouts? You better buy it if you see it because it won't be there long...

4.04/5  rDev -5.4%

Wow, this definitely wins my award for Chocolate Bomb.

Poured dark, thick, and oily in to a chalice. Tan fizz but no head.

Aroma of very very heavy chocolate, not just dark baker's chocolate but also milk chocolate. Very faint maltiness.

First sip was almost shocking, like drinking liquid chocolate.
Very creamy, a bit bubbly. Milk and dark chocolates wonderfully complexed, and there is a surprising lingering hop to it. Not as thick as it first tastes. Alcohol is completely covered up, I get none even after half a bottle. My favorite part is that I get no coffee tastes from it like so many other stouts. The brewer(s) had a singular vision and nailed it.

I have to take a few points off for drinkability though. After about half a bottle, I kept thinking "I am drinking Nestle Quik."
While the beer is extraordinary, by the end of the bottle I had enough and was ready to move on. I love chocolate, and chocolate style stouts too. Perhaps a smaller size would be optimal? I highly doubt this would pair well with anything as it is a dessert in itself.

4.51/5  rDev +5.6%

Big thanks Henry for bringing this to our tasting. Smells like chocolate syrup or a really rich cup of hot chocolate that you well over-paid for. It is thick, black with a slight lacing. Taste is lots of milk chocolate mocha. Not dark chocolate, just creamy milk chocolate like rich chocolate cheesecake. It is solid with little variations in the taste but the intricate balance with hops and malty malaises is intriguing so I wouldn't call it 'one dimensional'. I can't believe they use chinooks in this- what a precise brew. Henry calls southern tier the jelly bean or jolly rancher of breweries which I think is a perfect description. This brew is a chocolate cheesecake candy. It has a pretty thick mouthfeel to it and it is very drinkable. Alcohol is almost undetectable.

4.67/5  rDev +9.4%

Tried this one at the Armsby Abbey in Worcester, MA. Very dark with a deep brown head. Rich beer, great for sipping. Thick and robust with an intense chocolate taste.

Getting the choklat as my last beer of the night was certainly a good idea, it was like a fantastic desert to top off the night!

3.87/5  rDev -9.4%

I got this via Beer Powerball. Thank you Shaebs99!!

I had really been looking forward to this. It sounds so delicious. Maybe I had too high of expectations, I don't know. :(

Looks and smells awesome. Dark chocolate color with a small tan head that doesn't stick around for too long. This smelled of chocolate before I even managed to get my nose near the glass. After sticking my face in the glass, all I could get was chocolate...sweet sticky chocolate. Smells like Hershey's. I was really expecting a taste sensation!

So, took a sip....chocolate and liquor. Honestly, I would best describe it as chocolate milk with some vodka tossed in. I really really wanted to like this beer, but it was tough to get through the bottle and I was sharing it. It's something to try at least once, I guess.

If only it tasted like it smelled, this would have been great.

4.01/5  rDev -6.1%

This showed up at the local LCBO and I had to try it. Southern Tier make some good stuff but they also sometimes misfire and taste weird (like with the Creme Brulee...) Does this one?

It pours pretty much opaque black with a toasty brown head that dissipates quickly. Not too stunning, but not anemic either.

The smell is HUGE. I mean, jumping out of the glass kind of big. The bittersweetness of cocoa powder, and also the smoother smell of milk chocolate, with raisins, toasted marshmallow, heady alcohol, smooth vanilla caramel and dark malt. Wham. Mmm. Ohhh yeah.

The taste is just as rich. You feel like you're at the dessert table with nutty roasted malt and that delicious cocoa, with some more milky chocolate flavours as well, and a bit of spiciness and fruitiness coming from the alcohol and hops. I found that it had a bit of that cloying character from the Creme Brulee, almost like chocolate syrup, which wasn't great.

The mouthfeel is reasonably heavy in body, creamy smooth and somewhat syrupy, but not motor-oil thick or sticky. It feels like dessert. It's actually surprisingly well-built: full of flavour but with enough balanced tart "zing" to keep it from being overwhelming. Hence, the drinkability is quite good for the style... I don't often think of cracking a second bottle of a big Imperial Stout, but it crossed my mind with this one. I may have been glad I didn't, though, because there's a serious and late-arriving alcohol whack to this beer.

This is a pretty good stout that really delivers on its promise of indulgent chocolate. There is, however, something that puts me just a little bit off about it in the taste.

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from a bomber into an imperial pint glass. Jet black opaque color with light brown colored head that doesn't linger too long.

This one smells rich and delicious, mostly chocolate, almost like a glass of a mix of hot cocoa and chocolate milk. Not many other scents come through.

First sip is an amazing mix of sweet and bitter chocolates, oscillating from sweet candy chocolate to bitter cocoa to chocolate malt flavors. A slight malt and cocoa bitterness lingers on the tongue between sips. Mouthfeel is also excellent, feeling rich but not overwhelming with bright notes of sweet on the tongue.

This is an excellent chocolate stout, consistent and complex. I think this would be a perfect example of something you could pair with a dessert

4.49/5  rDev +5.2%

A - Black and viscous with a dark tan head. Decent head retention, but I'm not worried about that characteristic with this beer.

S - All sweetness...smells like a Tootsie-Roll as my friend put it.

T - Tastes like it smells, pure Tootsie-Roll. Very very good syrupy consistency that makes it a good stout despite its sweetness.

M - Viscous, but exactly what you want for a pairing with dessert...something heavy.

D - Maybe 2 on tap, but defintely only one 22oz bottle is do-able at one time...besides your dessert will be gone by then anyway...

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tumbler.

Pours an extremely dark brown with reddish hues and a finger and a half of dark mocha head. Good lacing.

Nose is bittersweet chocolate with some fruity hop bitterness. Smells more like real chocolate than any chocolate stouts I've had before.

Taste is very malty chocolate. Some hop bitterness is detected as well. Some booziness behind this one.

This is definitely a full-bodied beer. Smooth and syrupy on the way down. Finish is a little dry. Carbonation is low-medium.

Drinkability is pretty good for 11%, but the booze will get to you eventually. Definitely a very tasty beer. You're probably best splitting this with someone.

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

Served at a local bar. Given a large bottle and a goblet. Allowed the beer to warm up a little bit, to bring out its rich and sexy tones.

A - Gentle pour into a goblet. Blacker than black, but still a light brown at the same time. Very intriguing, looks like chocolate syrup, but also looks like a foaming and delicious beer at the same time.

S - DEAR GOD, this smells like pure chocolate. It's like an entire army of miniature soldiers wielding bazookas made of chocolate, mocha, and coffee just let loose a fury of cocoa missiles into my nose. Incredible smell to behold.

T - Tastes identical to its scent. The thick and frothy head even tastes like chocolate. Like an alcoholic hot cocoa. Hot fudge immediately comes to mind, hot fudge that will get me extremely drunk if I drink several bottles of this masterful brew. It earns the right to be called a chocolate stout.

M - Thick rich and creamy like a good stout should be. The heavy feel of it leaves a layer of epicness on my tongue that lingers long after the beer is gone. It's really more akin to a hot cocoa, it really is a unique beer, and definitely something to marvel at.

O - Masterful. Simply masterful. Southern Tier really hit a home run with this one. Never have I ever tasted a chocolate stout as sinfully delicious as this one. The tones and tastes of the beer are truly incredible, it tastes exactly how a chocolate beer should taste. I've seen cases at local distributors priced at upwards of $100, and let me tell you, it earned that price! It's great! Is it better than sex? No, but as far beer goes, this is just too damn good to pass up.

Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing Company