Choklat (Blackwater Series) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Choklat (Blackwater Series)Choklat (Blackwater Series)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Reviews: 1,589 | Ratings: 5,247
2.97/5  rDev -30.4%

A HUGE thanks goes out SBALDWIN for this controversial brew. I owe you one buddy!

I couldn't find a freshness date on the bottle, but did read a nice little snippit about the Mayans and xocoatl (ch-co-atle). Let's do this!

I poured it into an oversized wine glass despite wanting to pour it into the usual pint glass. The bottle told me not to...this bomber poured an opaque black with a thin brown head that bubbles and fades as fast as it took me to type this out. A little ring of brown creams leaves a minute amount of sticky lacing. This is one DARK brew!

I think I smell a Tootsie Roll...there are lots of super sweet chocolates in the nose. Smells spectacular! It's almost synthetic, however, which leads to some notes of oats and leather that make it through.

Where did the chocolate go? It's a malty mess with only a hint of burnt chocolate. I was expecting sweet and instead I get hit with this burnt, bitter, fakeness...from the supposed chocolate I presume.

The mouthfeel is way too thin for an impy stout. It seems they went a bit overboard on the carbonation too. It bites the tongue and holds it prisoner, and not in the good way either.

There is no way this can be percieved as drinkable. The alcohol might not be present, but the overwhelming power of the fake chocolate and burnt malts kills any chance of this beer being quaffed, let alone enjoyed in my book.

I wanted so badly to like (LOVE) this beer, I really did. I've just begun my imperial stout journey and this beer has got me a bit nervous. This brew was just too one dimensional for me. I was expecting chocolate cake in a bottle and instead I got a smellavision hologram with no substance...huge letdown. I might be stupid for saying this, but I am curious about it's cellaring prospects. I normally give a beer a second chance and unfortunately (or fortunately, it depends on the outcome) this beer is no exception.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

I had this on-tap a The Firkin up in Libertyville, IL.

Poured in a 10oz tulip. Opaque, deep dark caramel if black and brown had a baby this is it. Massive cocoa and chocolate malt milkshake on the nose. First taste is more of same. Head is tight but dissipates to nothing. Lacing is thin but repetitive and sticky.

This beer seems to be a love-hate kind of thing. Personally I love it...but rated drinkability rather low since I could never have more than one per sitting.

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a solid black with a 2 finger thick coffee-colored head that dissipates slowly to a thin skin.

This chocolate stout does not lack the chocolate! Hints of dark cherry and sweet caramel are present also.

The great thing about this beer is the different layers of chocolate taste. It moves from a sweet chocolate up front, to a bittersweet dark chocolate in the middle, to a milk chocolate end. Black cherry, caramel, coffee and light smokiness are also detected.

Mouthfeel is lighter than expected probably due to the high carbonation for the style. Sticky and slightly creamy. The ABV% is disguised well but detectable.

Overall, this is a fantastic brew. Not my first choice in styles but perfect for a night capper on a winter's day.

4.84/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One dimensional? Yes but let it be known this is the king of chocolate stouts. Southern Tier knows big stouts and this is a gem in their lineup. Minimal head lacing non existent the smell is chocolate lovers bliss and the taste definitely follows. The alcohol is so well hidden when it's cold you'll be checking the bottle again. The finish and aftertaste is chocolate punch in the taste buds.. You like chocolate and sweet stouts? You better buy it if you see it because it won't be there long...

4.04/5  rDev -5.4%

Wow, this definitely wins my award for Chocolate Bomb.

Poured dark, thick, and oily in to a chalice. Tan fizz but no head.

Aroma of very very heavy chocolate, not just dark baker's chocolate but also milk chocolate. Very faint maltiness.

First sip was almost shocking, like drinking liquid chocolate.
Very creamy, a bit bubbly. Milk and dark chocolates wonderfully complexed, and there is a surprising lingering hop to it. Not as thick as it first tastes. Alcohol is completely covered up, I get none even after half a bottle. My favorite part is that I get no coffee tastes from it like so many other stouts. The brewer(s) had a singular vision and nailed it.

I have to take a few points off for drinkability though. After about half a bottle, I kept thinking "I am drinking Nestle Quik."
While the beer is extraordinary, by the end of the bottle I had enough and was ready to move on. I love chocolate, and chocolate style stouts too. Perhaps a smaller size would be optimal? I highly doubt this would pair well with anything as it is a dessert in itself.

4.51/5  rDev +5.6%

Big thanks Henry for bringing this to our tasting. Smells like chocolate syrup or a really rich cup of hot chocolate that you well over-paid for. It is thick, black with a slight lacing. Taste is lots of milk chocolate mocha. Not dark chocolate, just creamy milk chocolate like rich chocolate cheesecake. It is solid with little variations in the taste but the intricate balance with hops and malty malaises is intriguing so I wouldn't call it 'one dimensional'. I can't believe they use chinooks in this- what a precise brew. Henry calls southern tier the jelly bean or jolly rancher of breweries which I think is a perfect description. This brew is a chocolate cheesecake candy. It has a pretty thick mouthfeel to it and it is very drinkable. Alcohol is almost undetectable.

4.67/5  rDev +9.4%

Tried this one at the Armsby Abbey in Worcester, MA. Very dark with a deep brown head. Rich beer, great for sipping. Thick and robust with an intense chocolate taste.

Getting the choklat as my last beer of the night was certainly a good idea, it was like a fantastic desert to top off the night!

3.87/5  rDev -9.4%

I got this via Beer Powerball. Thank you Shaebs99!!

I had really been looking forward to this. It sounds so delicious. Maybe I had too high of expectations, I don't know. :(

Looks and smells awesome. Dark chocolate color with a small tan head that doesn't stick around for too long. This smelled of chocolate before I even managed to get my nose near the glass. After sticking my face in the glass, all I could get was chocolate...sweet sticky chocolate. Smells like Hershey's. I was really expecting a taste sensation!

So, took a sip....chocolate and liquor. Honestly, I would best describe it as chocolate milk with some vodka tossed in. I really really wanted to like this beer, but it was tough to get through the bottle and I was sharing it. It's something to try at least once, I guess.

If only it tasted like it smelled, this would have been great.

4.01/5  rDev -6.1%

This showed up at the local LCBO and I had to try it. Southern Tier make some good stuff but they also sometimes misfire and taste weird (like with the Creme Brulee...) Does this one?

It pours pretty much opaque black with a toasty brown head that dissipates quickly. Not too stunning, but not anemic either.

The smell is HUGE. I mean, jumping out of the glass kind of big. The bittersweetness of cocoa powder, and also the smoother smell of milk chocolate, with raisins, toasted marshmallow, heady alcohol, smooth vanilla caramel and dark malt. Wham. Mmm. Ohhh yeah.

The taste is just as rich. You feel like you're at the dessert table with nutty roasted malt and that delicious cocoa, with some more milky chocolate flavours as well, and a bit of spiciness and fruitiness coming from the alcohol and hops. I found that it had a bit of that cloying character from the Creme Brulee, almost like chocolate syrup, which wasn't great.

The mouthfeel is reasonably heavy in body, creamy smooth and somewhat syrupy, but not motor-oil thick or sticky. It feels like dessert. It's actually surprisingly well-built: full of flavour but with enough balanced tart "zing" to keep it from being overwhelming. Hence, the drinkability is quite good for the style... I don't often think of cracking a second bottle of a big Imperial Stout, but it crossed my mind with this one. I may have been glad I didn't, though, because there's a serious and late-arriving alcohol whack to this beer.

This is a pretty good stout that really delivers on its promise of indulgent chocolate. There is, however, something that puts me just a little bit off about it in the taste.

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from a bomber into an imperial pint glass. Jet black opaque color with light brown colored head that doesn't linger too long.

This one smells rich and delicious, mostly chocolate, almost like a glass of a mix of hot cocoa and chocolate milk. Not many other scents come through.

First sip is an amazing mix of sweet and bitter chocolates, oscillating from sweet candy chocolate to bitter cocoa to chocolate malt flavors. A slight malt and cocoa bitterness lingers on the tongue between sips. Mouthfeel is also excellent, feeling rich but not overwhelming with bright notes of sweet on the tongue.

This is an excellent chocolate stout, consistent and complex. I think this would be a perfect example of something you could pair with a dessert

4.49/5  rDev +5.2%

A - Black and viscous with a dark tan head. Decent head retention, but I'm not worried about that characteristic with this beer.

S - All sweetness...smells like a Tootsie-Roll as my friend put it.

T - Tastes like it smells, pure Tootsie-Roll. Very very good syrupy consistency that makes it a good stout despite its sweetness.

M - Viscous, but exactly what you want for a pairing with dessert...something heavy.

D - Maybe 2 on tap, but defintely only one 22oz bottle is do-able at one time...besides your dessert will be gone by then anyway...

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tumbler.

Pours an extremely dark brown with reddish hues and a finger and a half of dark mocha head. Good lacing.

Nose is bittersweet chocolate with some fruity hop bitterness. Smells more like real chocolate than any chocolate stouts I've had before.

Taste is very malty chocolate. Some hop bitterness is detected as well. Some booziness behind this one.

This is definitely a full-bodied beer. Smooth and syrupy on the way down. Finish is a little dry. Carbonation is low-medium.

Drinkability is pretty good for 11%, but the booze will get to you eventually. Definitely a very tasty beer. You're probably best splitting this with someone.

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

Served at a local bar. Given a large bottle and a goblet. Allowed the beer to warm up a little bit, to bring out its rich and sexy tones.

A - Gentle pour into a goblet. Blacker than black, but still a light brown at the same time. Very intriguing, looks like chocolate syrup, but also looks like a foaming and delicious beer at the same time.

S - DEAR GOD, this smells like pure chocolate. It's like an entire army of miniature soldiers wielding bazookas made of chocolate, mocha, and coffee just let loose a fury of cocoa missiles into my nose. Incredible smell to behold.

T - Tastes identical to its scent. The thick and frothy head even tastes like chocolate. Like an alcoholic hot cocoa. Hot fudge immediately comes to mind, hot fudge that will get me extremely drunk if I drink several bottles of this masterful brew. It earns the right to be called a chocolate stout.

M - Thick rich and creamy like a good stout should be. The heavy feel of it leaves a layer of epicness on my tongue that lingers long after the beer is gone. It's really more akin to a hot cocoa, it really is a unique beer, and definitely something to marvel at.

O - Masterful. Simply masterful. Southern Tier really hit a home run with this one. Never have I ever tasted a chocolate stout as sinfully delicious as this one. The tones and tastes of the beer are truly incredible, it tastes exactly how a chocolate beer should taste. I've seen cases at local distributors priced at upwards of $100, and let me tell you, it earned that price! It's great! Is it better than sex? No, but as far beer goes, this is just too damn good to pass up.

4.52/5  rDev +5.9%

Live tasting, bottle poured into Duvel tulip...

Appearance; pours onyx black, absolutely minimal mocha colored head with a moderate poor, retention is abysmal, and the fraction of a finger of head vanishes nearly immediately...

Smell; WOW. This guy just jumped outta the bottle and punched me in the nose. I knew I was holding onto this bottle for a reason. Rich, deep, thick, CHOCOLATE. Smells like liquified chocolate. Incredible. The smell of this beer literally jumps out of the glass from a few inches away...

Taste; D.A.M.N. This is like liquid, molten chocolate, lush, rich German chocolate, no, Swiss chocolate... There is some slight hints of malt and a little bitter coffee (or dark chocolate perhaps?) on the finish but this beer is absolutely properly named, and is countless different layers of chocolate.

Mouthfeel; this stout, is in my honest opinion, perfect in this area... Lush, thick, viscous, and decently oily going down... Coats the mouth and hangs around for a minute or two... Absolutely brilliant. Carbonation is ever so slight, but a beer like this doesn't need much.

Overall; this beer is in my opinion, damn near perfect... The smell and flavor is amazing, superb mouthfeel... All around an incredible beer... Southern Tier, you continue to impress me!

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Dark, dark brown pour with the typical small head, a little larger than a standard stout. Tip: pour it fast to get a thicker head. Delicious sweet chocolate aroma. Watery in the mouth, but tastes sweet and like beer with a desert flavor rather than the other way around. This is not a thick beer. Overall, not my thing, but better than the other chocolate stouts.

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Served at cellar temperature into a pint glass.

Pours nearly jet black with dark brown at the edges only when held to a bright light. 1 finger tan head dissipates to small amount of lacing.
Smell is chocolate, a hint of roasted barley, and a slight amout of sweetness that hints at the alcohol. Did I mention it smells like chocolate?!
Taste initially is sweet with huge amounts of bittersweet chocolate. There is again some roasted flavors, but these are swept away in more chocolate. The alcohol is barely evident in the taste. The flavor is like a beer version of sipping chocolate. Very nice.
Mouthfeel is smooth and becomes smoother as the temperature warms. Minimal carbonation, which is fine by me.
Drinkability is very high...provided you like chocolate. (Did I mention it tastes like chocolate?) ABV is evidence is the start of a buzz but does not interfere with the other flavors. Despite the dominant chocolate, there is enough else going on to make this a beer that is definitely worth drinking. This is my first beer by Southern Tier, and if they are at all like this, I can't wait to try more.

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Pouring from a 22 oz bomber into a brandy snifter (their idea, not mine. But it says so right on the bottle.)

Appearance: As Prince would say to Charlie Murphy: "DARKNESS!!" No light getting through this oil. Nice tan cocoa puffy head, that retreats to a thin lacing around the sies of the snifter.

Smell: Delicious sweet nose, Chocolatey and sugary. Smells like the Wonka River that the fat kid falls into.

Taste: Very surprising, as it has very little of the sweetness you'd expect from the aroma. There is a dry roasted bitterness in here that really catches you off guard. Lots of coffee and caramel, thats makes it far more bitter than sweet.

The mouthfeel is what sets this apart from most other Chocolate brews out there. Nice and thick, with a smooth finish, tha combines with the bitter dark chocolate finish to keep the glass in your hand.

I couldn't see myself downing too many of these, because of the thick feel (not to mention the 11% alc.) but it could be a great companion to almost any desert, or just a good brew to start off a cold night.

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

Appearance:
Pours nearly black with a tan 1 finger head that retains a ring and film. Leaves a whipped cream film on the way down the glass.

Smell:
Deep, dark chocolate and incredibly sweet. Almost made me think it would be too sweet (on no, not the case).

Taste:
Thick heavy roasting and beautiful dark chocolate. Some other brews have infused with chocolate but this is like they melted down the best designer chocolate they could find right into the glass. The finish has a hearty punch of alcohol which leaves you warm. The beer equivalent of hot chocolate.

Mouthfeel:
Thick and creamy with a medium carbonation (a little more than I would have expected). This will definitely need a slow place as it coats your insides.

Drinkability:
Sad that I only got 1/3 of the bottle. Would have gladly sipped the whole thing away.

Comment:
First and only time I've seen this one. Will immediately buy again if I spot it.

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

bomber poured into Dogfish Head snifter

A - pitch black; golden creamy brown head recedes to a thin layer, no lacing to speak of

S - bittersweet chocolate is very powerful, smells like something baked crispy in the oven -- a little burned

T - about as chocolate as it gets, is definitely bittersweet chocolate, some malt presence, but overwhelmingly chocolate

M - creamy and syrupy, aftertaste like milk froth on a cappuccino

D - perfect for a cool, dreary night, great desserter/nightcap; I fully believe the 11%

4.36/5  rDev +2.1%

Black in color with a tiny layer of brown head that dissipates quickly. The nose shows off the chocolate in spades along with just a touch of malt balls, burnt caramel and an anise/mineral component. In the mouth the chocolate is again immediately powerful. While chocolate does dominate the nose and mouth, for some reason, it doesn't quite come off like drinking liquid cocoa. The midpalate is rich but it remains fresh and light on its feet with nice bitterness from the hops on the finish. A drink and dessert all in one, this would be great for a beer float! Even though I'm not a bit chocolate fan this is a really good beer. It also seems as if it would age reasonably well.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

Appearance: Dark, dark brown with a foamy tan head. The head dissipates quickly as you would expect with a high abv beer. There is not much lacing, but that is also expected.

Aroma: Wow, this is definitely the most chocolately smelling beer I've ever whiffed! The Belgian chocolate is strong in the nose and very enticing.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with just the right amount of carbonation. It is thick and chewy in the mouth. Just terrific!

Taste: Like the aroma, this one is so strong with Belgian chocolate, it is like a dessert. The dark chocolate tastes like you could float a scoop of ice cream in here and it would be right at home. There is hints of hops, but it is very well-balanced and the alcohol is well hidden allowing the chocolate to shine.

Overall impression: This is a great stout and a standard-bearer for chocolate stouts. The high abv is nicely hidden and the chocolate is downright decadent! I may just have to get another one to actually try the float idea! Great beer!

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

This beer is exactly what the label says...Chocolate (Choklat)!!

Like a liquid chocolate bar, it pours syrup like into the glass with the color of rich brown coco. Nothing but chocolate in the nose with no hint of hops nor the alcohol promised by the labeling. The head is beige, resembling the crema on a nice Italian espresso with the color like that of frothed milk chocolate.

The first sip explodes on the tongue with notes of caramel, chocolate (of course), and the subtle richness of roast malts. Bitter dark chocolate hints in the finish which lingers almost indefinitely.

Although ABV is listed at 11%, the alcohol is barely noticeable save for the warmth it provides those lucky enough to enjoy a snifter of this marvelous elixir.

4.27/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

22oz bomber

A - Nice eggshell head that dissipates quickly. Little to no lacing. Very dark with slight ruby/port tones.

S - The first aroma that hits is a powdery chocolate. Almost like opening up a carton of dutch processed cocoa and getting some of the powder in your sinuses. Its pretty intense. And so is the booze in the nose

T - Hershey's chocolate milk. Great malts. Very nice hop backbone that is solid and really balances the sweetness. This beer is very well crafted. Bourbon booziness

M - At 10% I would not expect to feel a booze tingle but I am definitely getting that.

Overall really nice but it is a little bit harsh. Nothing to really fault it for, but I am also not blown away by the depth of flavor

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

They suggest to serve in a snifter, but failing that I poured into a large wine glass that might as well have been a snifter with a long stem.

Look- Completely black, opaque. Sizeable brown head after a vigorous pour, delicate foamy lacing with little retention. The bubbles fizz as the head receded.

Smell- a very impressive milk chocolate smell, sweet and surprisingly no hints of roasted malts (though it was a bit chilled which may have hidden other scents)

Taste- sweet chocolate on the tongue, roasted malts and chocolate on the palate, finishes with modest coffee and chocolate bitterness. Aftertaste is a clean dark chocolate bitterness.

Feel- smooth and creamy, slight carbonation

Drinkability- This is a rich and powerful brew, combined with the alcohol content and large bottle size, you could easily share this with a few friends. It's very smooth, but I recommend savoring the flavor.

Overall this beer offers exactly what the self-important bottle proclaims, and that's all anyone could ask for.

4.14/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

22oz bottle.

Pour is cola brown with significant light penetration and a fizzy head.

Smell and taste is sweet chocolate first and foremost. Nice background of light, roasty malts and a slightly bitter finish, seemingly from some hops. Very tasty overall. The flavor of the chocolate in this one is very reminiscent of Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout. Good stuff!

Choklat (Blackwater Series) from Southern Tier Brewing Company