Choklat | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Reviews: 1,577 | Ratings: 5,201
2.03/5  rDev -52.5%

Pours black with virtually no head. Just a small ring of brown on the rim. Very heavy Hershey like chocolate. Almost too much...actually it is too much. Sorry, this doesn't smell like beer, but some drink that should be in a martini glass. Flavor is hersheys with some alcohol burn. Has a slightly bitter finish. How did they get a flavor like this? Almost like the base was liquid chocolate and a few hops were added. Seems fake and artificial. Medium palate and oily. Not very good in my opinion. Way too much chocolate milk for me.

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours black with a creamy tan head and swirls in the head like in a latte. Lacing is minimal with a dense ring of foam constantly around the edges. Aroma is strong of light fruit and chocolate. I've had Belgian chocolate beers that sort of smell like this- it has the milk chocolate characteristic but with a little exotic twang. Taste is like a chocolate milkshake at first but after a few sips the more beer like characteristics come out. The alcohol is very subdued by the chocolate, like you find in liquor filled chocolates. Dull hop bitterness brings out some of the bitterness of the chocolate while highlighting the sweet parts. Some more spicy hop flavor comes out on the lips and in the front of the tongue. Medium body with a smooth mouthfeel without too much of a silky body, but enough to give credit to the chocolate. You can definitely tell this is a Belgian inspired stout from the flavor of the chocolate and it's well done. The intense alcohol almost seems unnecessary. This could have had all the same great characteristics without the hangover-inducing level of ethanol. Nonetheless, it takes a lot of skill to bring this smooth and flavorful of a beer to fruition and maintain that high ABV. I can see why people are buyng up cases of this.

4.87/5  rDev +14.1%

A- Wow pours a gorgeous black molasses body with billowing cocoa powder brown head.

S- Smells of rich and complex dark and tasty fiiine crafted chocolate. This beers scent could sell it alone for me it is that good. Smells like a glass of home made iced cocoa.

T- Big and rich iced mocha taste with explosive chocolate flavor up front followed by dark roasted coffee and cocoa beans. Finishes like a fine cup of cocoa with the flavors just lingering in your mouth begging you to take another drink.

M- Gorgeously viscous coats the mouth and rolls across the palate.

D- This is now officially a yearly tradition for me. If Southern Tier releases it. I will buy and drink it. This is what a chocolate stout should taste like rich big and bold.

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours an oil slick black. Mocha 2 fingers head. Ample lacing.

Smells almost like Chocolate Ovalteen. Very sweet chocolate. Awesome smell. Never had that from a beer before. No ABV, might like a little. Not much roasted malt.

Wow. Sweet chocolate taste without being sweet. Does that make sense? Rum, bananna? No real hops, not a lot of roasted malt. I want to give a 4.5, but a little missing for the style.

Light for ABV. BArely taste the ABV to be honest. I must say for anything imperial, I like to taste the size of the beer.

Not something I could drink a lot of, but would love to have some each winter.

4.02/5  rDev -5.9%

22 oz. bottle into a chalice. Split with trep and other friends.

Choklat pours an attractive seal brown hue (nearly black), with a thin custard-tan head that displays retention like an 11% beer should--poorly. Hershey's milk chocolate syrup wafts upward from the glass, putting me in the mind-state of just entering a candy store. The dominant chocolate notes come from real chocolate, not the malts, and the aroma reflects that. However, it still feels a bit artificial, keeping it from a perfect 5.0 in my book.

Tastes like brownies and booze. 'nuff said. This stuff is liquefied dessert in a glass, with a super sweet chocolate milk flavor up front, followed by boozy chocolate liquor in the finish. Body is thick, viscous, and surprisingly well-carbonated with a touch of chalkiness. A bit tough to get down an 8 oz. serving. Overall, ST Choklat is certainly interesting, and although I'm glad I got the chance to try it, I cannot honestly envision myself ever wanting another.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

This beer pours pitch black, with a very thick look to it. Extremely small tan head to it, little to no lacing. Nose is amazing!!! I think this may be one of the best beers as far as scent is concerned - pure chocolate. The minute the beer is opened, aroma of chocolate hits you! Flavor is unsurpassed as far as chocolate stouts go. Big burst of chocolate upfront, chocolate flavoring throughout, and even has that bittersweet aftertaste to it - just as though you had a piece of chocolate. Feel is thick on the liquid and even though the carbonation is low, the combination of the two come together beautifully and it just dances on the tongue. I intend to go back and get several more. This is a fantastic beer!

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

On tap at Max's Tap Room, Baltimore, MD. Served (weirdly enough) in an American pint glass, though it was fantastically cheap - $5.66 for a pint of Choklat in a bar! Amazing. Anyway, on to the review!

Appearance: A deep brown, not quite as dark as I remembered, with a foamy, half-finger cocoa head. He filled this one straight to the top, so I can't be too upset that there wasn't much space left for head development. Lacing is sticky and splotchy initially, though it fades quickly with time, unfortunately.

Aroma: Heavy and pure milk chocolate aromas, though with this fresh batch there're definitely stronger hints of hops, leafy and earthy (though devoid, at least to my nose, of mint, which might have been nice given the other components of this beer). A kiss of malty earth comes through with the more bitter chocolate notes, particularly as it warms.

Taste: Yes, there are more bitter and hoppy notes here than there were in the the well-aged bottle I had recently - assuming that's an age thing rather than a bottle versus tap thing. Nonetheless, there are tons of sweet, milky chocolate notes rich, deep, rich, and velvety. The bitterness and earthy notes add a slight edge to it which perhaps detracts ever-so-slightly from the normal over-the-top cocoa assault that is this beer, but it's really not too bad.

Mouthfeel: Less even than the aged-bottled version, though I'm not sure here if that's an age thing or a bottle/keg thing. Still pretty creamy and smooth, full (perhaps due to the flakes) without being too full bodied, if that makes sense - it's light, but very big.

Drinkability: Still one of if not the most chocolately chocolate beer out there, this one sets a standard. I can't say I liked it as much on tap as I enjoyed the bottled version I have, which would lead me to two recommendations: 1) stock up at your local beer store; and 2) age well. If you see it on tap, though, it's still a great beer, so give it a go - the 11% alcohol was nowhere to be seen.

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

I've had this in a bottle, and it's terrific in that form, but I was lucky enough to have it on-tap at Cambridge Common just north of Harvard Square.

A: 100% black--the extract of outer space.

S: I drank mine in a snifter, the perfect vessel by which to sample the exceptional aroma. Unsurprisingly, it smells a great deal like chocolate. It is a bold scent that beckons your lips to the glass.

T: Again, it should come as no surprise that Choklat tastes principally of chocolate. But not just any chocolate. It's more Godiva than Toll House. It's like excellent chocolate syrup. In fact, the chocolate is so good, it more than makes up for the lack of overall complexity. There is little by way of hops, and other flavors prominent in stouts--coffee, especially--are subtle in some sips, nonexistent in others. The aftertaste contains some bitterness, but rather than hop bitterness, it's the bittersweetness of dark chocolate with a high cocoa count--70%+. Yum!

F: I would have liked a bit more volume from Choklat, but it doesn't perform badly within its class. On cask I suspect it would be deserving a 5.0 rating, and it wouldn't suffer lack of carbonation because it has none on-tap anyway.

D: It is astonishing to learn than Choklat is an 11% ABV beer. There is no alcohol flavor, no burn anywhere. Every sip goes down smooth as velvet. Lack of hop bitterness means that even inexperienced drinkers can enjoy Choklat.

In sum, Choklat is the best chocolate stout on the planet. At the risk of succumbing to hyperbole, it may be among the three or four best stouts period. I agree with previous reviewers that this is an apéritif beer, though it can be enjoyed just about any time.

Southern Tier makes many delicious beers, but none are quite like Choklat. A memorable experience.

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

Split a bomber with my girlfriend... but I ended up drinking most of her share too. Yay, more for me (she still prefers Young's Double Chocolate Stout)!

So this review started off in high tension. I've heard soooo many good things about this beer that I bought 2 bombers as soon as I saw that Beers of the World had it in stock. For $8 a piece I was a little worried that I just wasted $16. But the anticipation wore on through the night. After watching a movie it was like 11pm so I was debating whether or not to open a bomber. Of course I did.

A tall glass container filled with what I expected to be alcoholic chocolate syrup beckoned me to consume it, daring me. And so I did.
Hsss.... crack...

My Ommegang goblet nearly trembled in my hand as the bottle yielded a thick, viscous black liquid that grew a lovely 3/4" tan head with minimal lacing but excellent retention. It was a black hole that drew light from the lamp and ate it.

As soon as the bottle opened, I caught a whiff of creamy chocolate goodness. No, I take that back. It was a wallop of creamy chocolate goodness. And when that black engine oil hit the glass, espresso, roasted malts, chocolate malts, toffee, dark belgian chocolate, cocoa powder, and cream hit my nose, blanketing my mucous membranes in a waft of excellence telling me "you are not worthy." Wow... don't tell me there's hops in there... holy crap there is! A tiny bit within that monster, but yes, I did indeed detect a bit of it. And yes, I could mention that there is a bit of alcohol in the nose. Duh.

Before I go on, I must mention that during this time, I had to keep telling myself "go on, you ARE worthy dammit!"

I took a sip. Instantly, an intense dose of coffee and cocoa, and heavy roasted chocolate malts take the initiative. Following this was a parade of sweet caramel, molasses, and toffee but by this time, the hops was long gone. This heavy blanket of espresso, chocolate, and bittersweet dreams were just beginning. The finish was incredibly smooth with a bittersweet aftertaste, maybe even smoky. Very roasty. Very big. Very warming.

And of course, that first sip was followed by many such sips, each time I had to force myself to take my time with it. Its incredible smoothness despite the high alcohol is one of my favorite aspects about this beer. Very heavy bodied, slightly chewy, medium carbonation. For such a big beer, I could easily have finished the entire bomber myself and started another. But I must have will power and leave that one to age.

This is not alcoholic chocolate syrup. My overall impression of this beer is that this, Southern Tier Choklat Imperial Stout, is a beer reaching the heights of perfection. This is an EXTREMELY good and well balanced beer. Despite its bigness, the sweetness and the bitterness is very balanced. The alcohol is barely noticeable in the taste: only the warming smoothness down your throat reminds you that this is a brew to be reckoned with. There is nothing cloying about this beer. Just plain perfection. I have never given a perfect score to a beer yet (I'm sure there are other beers of this calibre), but to me this is a true winner. I would gladly pay $10 or 12 for a bomber of this. I highly recommend this beer, especially for the holiday season or for dessert. Do yourself a favor and try it.

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Southern Tier Choklat Stout pours a deep dense dark black. Little head that settles into an oil like sheen. Initial smell is faint and a bit bitter. Give this one some time. It turns to a sweet chocolate with a pure gold chocolate aroma. Taste is semi sweet chocolate with a moderate carbonation. Too cold this is not what it should be, right at temp it is great. Mouthfeel is moderately dense with a light carbonation. Huge chocolate flavor with a silk like feel. This is a great beer ready for a long enjoyment. Drink wisely, this is great, but hard to come by.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

A - deep black like a well shined shoe. head and lace very minimal and dissipate quickly

S - rich boutique of dark chocolate. reminds me of walking into a chocolate factory and all the glory that comes from enjoying myself there

T - rich, dark chocolate overload until the aftertaste, where some of the bitterness comes about. but it fits nicely with the rich chocolate taste

M - full, somewhat syrupy, but leaves a nice thick coating as the beer migrates through the mouth

D - Would love to keep drinking more if I didn't feel so full after a glass.

Hides the alcohol content very well

4.79/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured from a 650ml(22oz) bottle into small snifter.
A - Opaque black in color with thin tan head. Head diminishes very quickly. Very minimal lacing.
S - Like a box of very expensive Belgian chocolates.
T - Tasty dark chocolate is the predominant taste here. Notes of espresso and alcohol on the finish.
M - Full mouthfeel. A bit on the syrupy side. No carbonation. However, these are good things!
D - Normally I define drinkability as 'being able to drink a few at one sitting'. This should be treated as an aperitif. Served after dinner in small glasses with tiramisu. The 22oz. bottle could EASILY be split between 4 or 5 people. I've never given a '5' to any brew so far; but this is the best crafted brew in it's category.

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from a 650 ml bomber purchased at Rozi's Wine house a few weeks ago into my clean, clear Brewery Ommegang snifter. Review written "live" as I experience it.

A Great looking deep, deep black body under a nice, generous medium brown head. What an attractive look. It cannot look better.

S Chocolate is the most obvious and up front smell and it also sets it immediately apart from other stouts that I have had. It is a dark chocolate milk smell vs. a baker's chocolate smell like I get from other stouts sometimes. There is certainly a sweetness to the nose.

T Big dark chocolate taste but about 1/3 of the way through the taste it turns to a bitterness. This is not a harsh, uncomfortable bitterness but a nice, balanced chocolate bitterness and the bitter like malts come through. Maybe some hops too? If there are any the hops are way buried and only come through in the last 1/3 of the taste. The syrupy nectar remains well into the aftertaste as the bitterness gives way and I am left with a dark chocolate taste. What a great beer!

M Big, huge beer with not a lot of carbonation but chocolate and bitterness which fill you right up.

D I don't think that any stout is supposed to be extremely drinkable but this one is so delicious and appealing that I have to give it a high score.

Notes: This beer lived up to the hype for me.

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

pours out really black with very few offwhite suds and lots of lacing.
Smell is very fine chocolate and no alcohol.
Taste is chocolate bitter and sweet malt sugars along with a raisin flavor.
The mouthfeel is sticky but tolerable. Very sweet, not as sweet as the darkness but still.
Even though it is 11% this is a very drinkable.

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

Smell was just like dark chocolate or hot cocoa.

Taste was almost like eating a Hersheys dark chocolate bar.

Drinkability is good as a dessert beer rather than a beer to drink while watching a football game.

Appearence was dark in color with hints of red in the lights at the bar.

Southern Tier Choklat is a very black ale with a yellow hue and a khaki head that leaves decent lacing. It has a sweet chocolate aroma-- very candyish. It is full bodied and smooth. There is a little rumble before the end, but it finishes cleanly. It is sweet and smooth with a huge chocolate flavor. Caramel is detected. It's well bittered and well balanced. It dries up for the finish. Pour this on ice cream!
(rated Feb 5, 2008)

4.02/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours a dark brown, almost black color with a very small tan head and light lacing. Aroma is chocolaty, Tootsie Rolls, backed up by some roasted malts and a nice hop bitterness. Yep, it smells like chocolate. Flavor is all chocolate up front, cocoa-licious, roasty and toasty in the middle, a very nice base stout flavor, some alcohol is present, but not overpowering. There's a nice bitterness on the finish, but whether this is from the hops or the roasted malts, I'm not sure. An underlying coffee pokes it's head out as it warms, but it's short-lived. It's medium bodied, alcohol warming can be felt in the throat on the way down, but not burning, average carbonation. Coats the mouth with bittersweet chocolate, and the aftertaste sticks around.

This beer is pretty darn good, but I was expecting more. It was much better than Oat ans the alcohol was a little more well-hidden than their other impy stouts. I just don't understand the people in the forums who say this tastes like a chocolate milkshake.

It doesn't.

It tastes like a solid impy stout with chocolate added.

Not bad, but not mind-blowing.

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

A-pours a nice chocolate brown with a pleasant inviting white head
S- like chocolate , wow...not like fake chocolate coloring, like real chocolate
T- remember when you were a kid and you were eating chocoate from cookies youre mom was making and you were trying to be sly, and it was unsweetened dark chocolate, thats what this beer tastes like, but as I have gotten older I like this kind of chocolate more, wow this beer tastes like chocolate, some light coffee tastes but finises chocolate
M- smooth and inviting, like a cold hot chocolate with some subtle spicy spices, but still refreshing
D- 11 perecent, this one started off my night , a great way to start, I dig this, will def reach for this one again

I have heard a rumor that there is a strain of malt called chocolate, and so some "chocolate" beers dont taste like chocolate, this one does... wow

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours dark brown, thick and viscous. Small cocoa colored head that only retains a bit, with a little lacing around the glass when agitated. Smells like cocoa powder, sweet chocolate... almost like sniffing Nesquik out of the canister when you were a kid. I can't get over how sweetly awesome it smells.

It doesn't taste quite as sweet as it smells, though. The chocolate characteristic here (definitely the pre-eminent characteristic, as suggested by the name) is bitter, more like a semi-sweet baking chocolate than something you would normally consume. The roastiness of the malts emphasizes this characteristic. Little bit of hop bite at the end helps balance that out. Some alcoholic burn, but it's all up front instead of really lingering at the end (it does at the end, just a bit though.) Compared to Weyerbacher XIII, that beer had much more of an alcoholic burn, but for me, that was something that affected the whole duration of the sipping, and actually came out more in the aftertaste, making it tough to drink. In this case, the end clears up nicely. If anything, I would want this to be a little sweeter, taking away a bit from the bitterness. That detracts a bit from the drinkibility, but for what it is, the drinkibility isn't bad. It's still a nice sipper, though. Mouthfeel is chewy and full, coating but not cloying to the point of oppressiveness.

4.52/5  rDev +5.9%

This beer pours a thick used motor oil black color. The head is a quarter inch in height, and recedes quickly into a thin ring of lacing. The aroma is of dark and milk chocolate with a backbone of roasted malt. The taste is a little roastier than the aroma, but it is still dominated by chocolate. Bitter dark chocolate is followed by fine roasted malts which lead into a finish of creamy milk chocolate. The mouthfeel is full bodied with low, fine carbonation which does a good job of staying out of the way of the chocolate. Overall, this is a very fine beer, and, perhaps, the best chocolate beer I have yet tasted. I will certainly drink this again.

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

Finally, this has made it down to Charlottesville. Been looking forward to it for a while and held onto this bottle for a couple weeks to enjoy around my birthday.

A: Stark black with a lighter tan head that leaves little cascading sheets of lace behind.

S: Quite rich... big chocolate aroma takes the nose by storm followed by the roasted malts and a little hint of coffee, but it's almost ignorable, really. There is quite a bit of an aromatic hoppiness I detect that adds a very nice touch.

T: Good God, the chocolate. It reminds me of a big bag of Belgian truffles or something... or brownies with a rum-fudge sauce. Hugely chocolaty, with a nice malt profile and the little kick of a leafy and oily hop that comes through again. A little alcohol as it warms, but the chocolate flavours do a good job of covering it all up. Very nice.

M: Thick, rather creamy and rich... quite full bodied. There's a bit of an oily slickness that leaves a slippery residue, and a little warming from the alcohol finishes up.

D: Alcohol is quite well hidden, as mentioned, coming out more as it warms a bit. The warming is a sign that it has some kick (I suppose the pleasant feeling that comes with it would be another clue :P). Good to finish up a night or perhaps a big dessert beer. It's really good, but I suppose it could get to be a bit much after a while.

3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

I was quite excited to finally come across this one in my neck of the woods. Pours a used motor oil in color with some hints of dark brown, and little to no head or lacing. The smell is well chocolaty. Like a sweet milk chocolate mixed with tootsie rolls, and some coco powder. The taste is much of the same, with a bitter lingering towards the end. The mouthfell is surprisingly light leading me to believe it is not just melted chocolate and this is very drinkable for the AVB but its still so sweat. I was hopping for more of a stout and got more of a desert in a bottle, but im still impressed.

4.44/5  rDev +4%

Bomber into a Chimay chalice. Been waiting for this one for a while, and glad I finally got a chance to snag a bottle.

Appearance: Nothing new really to say about such a brew -- opaque with a mocha-colored head that leaves mini lace-blobs around the glass.

Smell: Initial hints of Dutch process cocoa and melted baker's chocolate, chocolate cream or mousse, hints of alcohol as it warms, but pleasurably sweet and scotch-like (minus any peat) almost, and earthy. Hints of wood and rootiness and roasted, but not burnt, malt flavors as it starts to warm, with some rich aromas of chocolate-covered cherries and vanilla extract creeping in, along with drizzled caramel. I don't know how it could get more heady and complex than this. And there's so much I'm not picking up on that's on the tip of my tongue, literally of course.

Taste: Extremely rich and balanced, with a good meld of richness from the chocolate and the more quelling flavors of the roasted malts keeping everything in check. Balance is jey, of course, with such a strong and complicated beer. There's more bitterness from the hops, which I expected with the taste rather than the aroma, if any semblance was present at all. Rich caramel and dark chocolate cream with a bit of coffee-with-cream-and-two-sugars, and dark berries, more raspberries here than anything else. Rich and heavy, yes, but very balanced, and it doesn't skimp on the visceral side with good hope bitterness and much-more-evident roasted hop malt flavors as it warms to room temperature. I'd be very interested to read reviews in the upcoming years as to how this is doing in the cellar.

Mouthfeel: Rich and creamy and chewy while avoiding being cloying, yet it could use a bit more carbonation to reach that transcendent level, where it isn't right now.

Drinkability: If you're used to such a monster brew, you can do this in one sitting, as I did, though it was over three hours or so. if not, splitting it with another one or two people may be ideal. In a snifter I could see this lasting for a long long time. That said, it's easily become my favorite Southern Tier brew. Like Bell's, it seems that when they're at their experimental and big-balls go-for-the-gold, the beers are excellent. Not to say that the others aren't worthy, but the ballsier the better for me, especially with how most of the beers come out at the end. Here's to more brews in the Blackwater series.

22oz bomber into 8oz snifter.

Obsidian black hue with a half-finger tan head that settles to a thin rim.

Mostly chocolate in the aroma with some of the roasty barley in the background.

Like the aroma, the flavor is loaded with chocolate. It tastes almost like I'm drinking a bitter chocolate bar. The roasted barley sits in the back, adding bitterness and complementing the sweet chocolate. Full bodied with a thick syrupy feel. The chocolate lingers for a long time with each sip. The alcohol is well hidden.

One of a few ultra-sweet beers made by Southern Tier. They certainly are good at bringing out the flavor of the main special ingredient. Recommended.

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is an outstanding desssert beer.
I have tried Young's Double Chocolate and this is far superior.
Great to see another well made American beer.
I had a 22oz bomber in a glass and it was quite heavenly.
Very smooth, chocolate, imperial stout, the alcohol sneaks up
on you, lol.