Choklat (Blackwater Series) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Choklat (Blackwater Series)Choklat (Blackwater Series)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Ratings: 5,250 |  Reviews: 1,590
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured from a bomber into a Guinness pint glass (yeah I know Southern Tier recommends to serve in a snifter, fug it; all I have is pints and tulips. Maybe next year I'll get a snifter for christmas).

At any rate, the beer pours a DARK brown that can only be seen into by tilting the pint and looking upwardly at a light source. The head is minimal (mocha color) with no real lacing to speak of.

The smell is heavy chocolate, with barley wayyy down the road throwing rocks that fall about 200 yards short.

The flavor is HEAVY bittersweet chocolate, with it being more sweet than bitter and the alcohol shouting "look at me" in the background.

FOR ME, the mouthfeel is medium heavy like I am in an arid climate and just ate a Milky Way bar with no water in sight. It's almost to the point of being syrupy.

I know this style is way open to interpritation and I can dig the brewers take on Mayan Choklat (power to the aboriginals), and perhaps with a 6 oz. Maya vessel to drink from I could perhaps look back in time and say this is nice native drink for the aristocrate. But ya know for a BEER in 2012, this is just to much FOR ME. While I'm on my soap box, Why are all of the "Belgium sweeteners" i.e. chocolate and candied sugars so friggin sweet. I mean WTF, if I want a sweet fix, beer is not what I look for, instead I would prefer a candy bar, a cake, a pie, 40 gallons of HFCS, but not beer(spank my azz now if you disagree we can still be friends ... stepping down off soap box).

For me this brew is to far out of balance with very little barley to speak of, no noticeable hops to keep the sweetness in check, evidently there is some yeast (not a clue what it may be since the semi sweet chocolates blow it to hell), and not enough water (it's to damned heavy, syrupy on the throat and tongue).

Before you jump may azz, I know that this is an Imperial Stout, not ya common every day kinda stout, and the only thing I can judge it against is Rogue's Double Chocolate (which I find to be well balanced, easy sipping, more complex, better looking, better mouthfeel, and more flavor than this 1 trick pony). This to me is a 1 hit non wonder. I MIGHT buy 1 more of these to celler out for a few years and see if it becomes a beer, or if it remains a fermented beverage with semi sweet Belgium chocolate up the wazoo.

OH and BTW, Brooklyn is a English Russian Imperial Stout, not an American Imperial, lets try to compare apples to apples here.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

On tap at the Flying Saucer in KCMO. Pours black in color with an attractive mocha colored one finger head. It leaves lacing all the way down the glass. This is what every stout should strive to acheive in its appearance. Smell is chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. One dimensional? Yeah. But it nails chocolate in the aroma more than any other chocolate beer I have tried to date. Taste follows suite with lots of rich milk chcoloates that dominate everything. A touch of dark chocolate comes in at the very end, but this is nothing but liquid chocolate. It is almost like a rich chocolate milk. The mouth is a little thinner than anticipated, but still solid. Overall this is the epitome of a dessert beer. I feel pairing this with anything chocolate would do this beer injustice - this doesn't need anything to accompany it to wrap up your meal.

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

A: Pours a dark coffee-black; no head, barely any lacing; lets a little light in through the edges with a slight reddish tint

S: Wow! Strong chocolate notes pervade the nose, and I mean STRONG. Smells like pure chocolate milk

T: Damn, now THIS is how you make a chocolate beer. Puts Brooklyn's Double Chocolate stout to shame. Roasty malts, a bit of smoky wood, and LOTS of delicious milk chocolate. Many beers taste like bitter dark cocoa, but this literally tastes like chocolate milk. Phenomenal.

M: It's got a medium-thick viscosity, almost like chocolate milk made from nonfat milk; no hint of alcohol at all behind it at all, which is very impressive considering the high abv.

O: The best chocolate stout I've ever had. Period.

3.5/5  rDev -18%

4.54/5  rDev +6.3%

I picked this up to split with my wife because I knew she would dig it.

BA says this one is 11%, but I guess this years version is 10%.

A: Black and with no highlights of any sort. The mocha head clung to the glass and then some. Pretty mean actually...

S: Straight up chilled hot cocoa in a glass. My God! I'm pretty sure I even got vanilla and marshmallow in there.

T: A good bit of booze warming as well as bitter raw cacao on the finish, but the rest is just Nestle's Quick with added alcohol. Melted chilled chocolate... hell, I just burped, and even that tasted like chocolate.

M: This had the perfect mild prickly carbonation and the lacing was ridiculous. Bitter, chocolate, somewhat sweet, ...gotta love it!

O: Plain and simple: If you don't like schtick beers or chocolate, you'll hate this, but if you buy into that type of thing, knock yourself out!

NOTE: This is now my wife's favorite beer.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%