Choklat (Blackwater Series) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Choklat (Blackwater Series)Choklat (Blackwater Series)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Ratings: 5,256 |  Reviews: 1,591

Presentation: 22oz brown pop top bomber, with nice label; no best-by date, but with an abv of 11%, I'm not too worried...

Appearance: Pitch black, shows bright ruby highlights around the edges when held up to the light; medium-dark tan head with good retention.

Smell: THE chocolatiest-smelling beer I've ever encountered. This is VERY similar to old-fashioned chocolate cream soda. Under those aromas are some notes of homemade chocolate icing on dark chocolate cake. Mild dark fruity booziness noted as well.

Taste: TONS of dark chocolate, and (again) chocolate cream soda. It's alternately bittersweet and semi-sweet. As it leaves the palate, I'm getting a big dose of dark roasted coffee as well. It's not the "liquid Hershey's syrup" I've often heard it described as; it's more like a heady old-fashioned chocolate liqueur. Not much noticeable in the way of hops really, though there's enough bitterness to keep this from becoming cloying. Alcohol is warming, but not over-the-top.

Mouthfeel: Huge. A bit prickly from the booze.

Drinkability: 1 bottle, split two ways = perfect.

Conclusion: I'm not sure this beer could have lived up to my expectations; I've been waiting over a year to try this, and was really looking forward to it as I've heard such amazing things about this beer. It's hands down the best chocolate beer I've ever had. By far. I guess the one thing that still kind of weirds me out is how much of a strong chocolate soda-like character these beers can have, with pure chocolate providing the flavor. Even if it's a bit of an odd profile, this is still a damn tasty beer.

Aroma chocolate, taste was chocolate and just enough alcohol to balance nicely

A- Pours a dark brown or black not really sure what color it is. Pretty much no head or lacing just a few bubbles on top.

S- My first thought was this thing smells like a tootsie roll. Tons of chocolate and that's all. Doesn't smell like a beer at all but its not really bad either.

T- Pretty intense chocolate here. Alcohol is hidden really well. Overall, it was pretty nice and a lot better than some other chocolate beers I've had.

M- Creamy, low carbonation and medium to full in body.

D- Wasn't too bad but I don't think I could drink a lot of these. Something that I could drink every once in a while.

Choklat (Blackwater Series) from Southern Tier Brewing Company