Choklat | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Reviews: 1,574 | Ratings: 5,182
4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

This beer is fabulous...my favorite chocolate for sure. It's got nice body and isn't too sweet. Perfect combination of beer and chocolate. I enjoyed every sip.

To me, it tastes like the liquid chocolate from French Broad Chocolates in Asheville, NC. If you haven't tried that, you should, and if you haven't tried this beer, you should.

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber into a stemless wine glass.

A: Good Lord, it's like motor oil with latte foam. When poured slowly and from a decent height one can elicit a thick, long lasting chocolate milk brown foam, but it still disappears rather fast, I'm assuming from being 10%abv.

S: Of course there's huge amounts of milk chocolate, dark chocolate, bittersweet chocolate, semisweet chocolate, 70% cacao and darker chocolates with burnt toasty notes, a hit of sweet, creamy vanilla, a touch of nondescript spice, a smidge of alcohol and roasted malts. But what blows me away is the very distinct smells of chocolate covered banana and dark chocolate covered jelly rings. WOW.

T: Every type of previously listed chocolate assaults the palate, followed by a big bittersweet smack of super dark chocolate and earthy hoppiness. This turns into an unsweetened cocoa flavor that fades into warming booziness that tickles the tongue with spice. Fantastic, not overburdeningly sweet. I want to bourbon barrel or rum barrel age this.

M: Very full and viscous, bordering on chewy, which turns into a drying cocoa powdery feel across the tongue, and a nice little zing from the booze and carbonation.

O: Quite possibly one of the finest chocolate stouts I've ever had, every one after this has a very high bar to reach.

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

Black onyx color with a 1 finger thick head that holds extremely well. Very active,fresh and hungry looking carbonation.

Dark somewhat bitter chocolate semi sweetness with a hint of chocolate powder akin to Hersheys powder but with a dark chocolate essence to it.

Taste is incredibly thick lush chewy silky chocolate. A touch of milk chocolate with more semi sweet bitterness. There are also some malty elements that come through in the background but they are faint.Finishes with a small amount of boozy heat but it is incredibly moderate and somewhat subtle given the high ABV. Very well concealed. There are also some elements of brownie or chocolate cake mix that I notice as well.

Mouthfeel is smooth coating velevety and lush--absolutely tremendous.

At 11%ABV and pretty sweet this is far from a session beer but I am definitely looking forward to trying this one again. Probably the best milk/sweet stout I have tried to date.

4.69/5  rDev +9.8%

I've been sitting on this trade for so long, I don't even remember who sent it to me. Regardless, a big thanks goes out to that fine fellow.

The label states this beer is actually a 11% ABV beer, not 9.1%. Served, as suggested, cool into a snifter. It pours a very dark brown color with good clarity, both evident only as it travels from bottle to glass. There is no head at all so that's the only real letdown.

The aroma is just unbelieveable. I never would've thought that a beer could smell like liquid chocolate. It's absolutely wonderful - a melted chocolate bar with toasted marshmallows. No alcohol detected here either, which is nice.

As much as I love the aroma, I'm thankful when I discover the flavor has a healthy dose of roast so it isn't nearly as sweet as the smell would suggest. There is still a nice sweet chocolate taste up front but from middle to end, it has great roasted malt and dark coffee character. The sweet and bitter balance wonderfully but it's still a very strong beer and this is where the alcohol starts to really show. It's not overwhelming but it is certainly noticable.

Mouthfeel is medium-plus in body with lowish carbonation. As said, the balance is great but the strength of flavor, bitterness, and alcohol is wearing.

Overall an amazing beer and unlike anything else I've ever had. A truly special brew.

4.69/5  rDev +9.8%

Purchased at Evanston 1st Liquors for $7.49. No decipherable expiration date listed.

Pours from a bomber into a small snifter, as recommended on the bottle. Only leaves a little ring of head around the glass, which goes away. Microscopic bubbles at the edges. Color is completely opaque black, with slight hints of golden brown and ruby at the edges.

The chocolate fragrance is big, dwarfing beers that I used to think really smelled like chocolate. I can't help but think I would get more out of it if I was able to induce some sort of head. For such a dark beer, I wasn't expecting the nose to be so sweet. Reminds me of Canfield's Chocolate Soda that I used to have as a kid, more than any other kind of chocolate I can recall. Also sort of like a 3 Musketeers. (I'm not too familiar with the fine stuff.) Some milky, mocha hints. Dark chocolate is buried a bit further down, with some dark malts. Also some really faint molasses and smoke. Smells delicious, but not terribly complex. Rather than a balanced blend of aromas, there's a hierarchy from strongest on down. Still very inviting, though.

Chocolate taste, obviously, but there's definitely more darkness on the palate than the nose. Enough bitterness to balance the sweetness here. Nice use of Chinook and Willamette hops to enhance the bitterness of the dark chocolate, without being "hoppy." Someone not familiar with beer could easily be deceived into thinking they were just getting dark chocolate. Hop character is more present on the finish though. Caramel malts, some nuttiness and molasses come through more as this warms. Flavor is strong, but not over the top, or too sweet. Southern Tier's recommended temperature of 48 seems way too low, as I'm picking up more in the nose and palate the longer it sits out.

Mouthfeel is delicate; slightly thin. The fine carbonation makes this one soft, not fizzy. Not what I would expected from a stout. A little more creaminess would have been good. Alcohol on the tongue is nearly non-existent. Finish is a little sticky. Once my initial expectations get out of my way, I come to really like the silky mouthfeel here.

Drinkability is terrific. I wanted to chug this straight out of the bottle, and it took some restraint to not actually do so. Very pleasantly warming on the way down. Way too easy to drink a bomber, but probably is better served for 3-4 people due to the high abv. This is all I'll be having tonight, and I am very sad to see the last sip go.

Would be excellent to serve to guests in 5-6 oz. dessert servings, maybe with some blackberries, raspberries, or cherries. Cheesecake would be a good choice too.

A note to Southern Tier: Please, please, please bourbon barrel age this beer. I shudder to think how good that would be.

Edit: I have to give the smell a 5 after revisiting this beer. So unique.

4.69/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Slightly boozy, but that's mostly aromatic and in the nose. Strong chocolate flavor (of course) is a real delight. Almost a milkshake?

LOOK: Very dark brown, almost black. A finger's worth of head that's a tight family of tiny bubbles. Hold it up to the light and it's basically opaque.

SMELL: Bittersweet chocolate. A little cinnamon and/or spice?

TASTE: Strong chocolate flavor from start to finish. Completely dominates the palate. Slightly boozy note to finish.

FEEL: Thick and full and rich. Viscous. Your mind fills in some blanks and makes it into a milkshake.

4.69/5  rDev +9.8%

This exceptional beer reminds me of a chocolate Bosco milk shake. A very thin head reveals the lack of carbonation in this beer. The first aroma that hits you is the chocolate Bosco syrup. The thickness in the mouth and the heavy chocolate flavor brings me back to the chocolate Bosco milk shakes I would have as a kid. It was on-tap at Eli Cannon's in Middletown, CT. According to my taste this is one of the best beers made.

4.69/5  rDev +9.8%

had this on tap at the East Village Tavern.

A- pours extremely dark black color without any head, i could not see through this one at all. It's as black as night

S- strong smooth chocolately aromas, slightly bitter but smells amazing. I couldn't believe I was smelling a beer and not a chocolate bar. i would like to do a blind smelling test where i could compare the aromas from this beer and some other chocolate bars and try to pick which is which.

T- tastes like i had melted a chocolate bar and drank it, this beer is so cholately tasting its incredible. The alcohol is very well hidden for 11%.

M- very smooth, full bodied, a bit creamy, low carbonation

Overall I really enjoyed this beer. It's an explosion of chocolate. This is certainly one to end the night on or have for dessert. I would definitely seek this one out and it shouldn't be that difficult as it's not hard to find.

4.69/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a dark brown with faint shades of ruby when held to light and has a thin tan head. Fantastic nose has lots of dark chocolate, vanilla, coffee, ripe fruits and rich malts. Like fudge brownies in a glass. The taste was not quite as impressive, but still good. Bitter-sweet chcolate, roasty malts, molasses, licorice, anise and subtle hops. The body was a thick and chewy, well carbonated.

4.69/5  rDev +9.8%

Thanks to jastack for the trade!

This one caught a lot of buzz rather quickly and I’m excited to try it, especially since I love chocolate dominant stouts.

Poured into my Portsmouth tulip. Looks like a cola flavored soda and an aggressive pour produces no more than half an inch of foam. Hints of ruby when held to the light.

Oh, baby! Huge rich chocolate aroma right upfront, and it reminds me when I used to put spoonfuls of Quick into my milk as a kid. Notes of bitter-sweet chocolate and cocoa with quite a lot of sweetness, very much like chocolate syrup. Cannot pick up any “beer-like” qualities in this one, it’s just pure chocolate so far. I think some roasted barley and the chocolate malts try to peek through but the sweet, dark, chocolate just dominates. After it warms up I get a wonderful aroma of a banana split; bananas, vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, chocolate syrup, you want sprinkles too?
Later on there are hints of caramel, marshmallows, s'mores, and warm oatmeal covered in chocolate syrup.

Tastes very much like it smells, love it. Lots of chocolate with a banana aftertaste and some hints of cherry and alcohol. I can see how this beer can be too much for some people, it is mostly chocolate and very sweet, almost like a very intense milk stout. There is only a hint of dryness and roasted barley bitterness in the finish, but this one is mostly sweet.

Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy and perfect light carbonation. Drinkability is good but a bomber is a little hard to finish for one person since this beer is really sweet.

This is one of my new favorite stouts and a favorite dessert beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

When I was served this beer, I was actually expecting a different beer altogether so the amount of chocolate flavor absolutely floored me. With each subsequent taste I couldn't believe how much I was enjoying this beer. It's got an incredibly creamy texture and the most amazing chocolate flavor. Almost like a chocolate mousse as a friend who I was sharing it with noted. This beer was a pleasure to drink.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Darker than expected with a tight, light brown head. As expected, however, the aroma is full of chocolate. Bitter chocolate is indeed the most pronounced flavor, but there is so much more going on. Vanilla, some coffee, and oak. Wouldn't be surprised if this were barrel aged (but not bourbon barrel aged). Long, dry, chalky finish with hints of marshmallow. The 10% ABV really warms on the way down, too.

To recap, huge flavors, well balanced, great texture, and a heaping helping of booze. What else would you expect from Southern Tier? It's excellent.

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

Its true, not everyone likes chocolate, and not everyone likes beer. But they aren't reading this, and I think they are crazy. So today we are looking at, yup, you guessed it - chocolate beer! The Southern Tier Brewing Company from upstate New York makes an imperial stout known as Choklat. The Choklat doesn't just talk the talk, but it definitely walks the walk; it has been brewed with barley flakes and chocolate malt, both ingredients that impart a smooth, chocolaty flavor, but has also been brewed with bittersweet Belgian Chocolate! The good stuff.

There are actually many chocolate beers in the market today (not so much in the Canadian market specifically), but too many of these beers claim chocolate and simply have a hint of roasted cocoa flavor. Most of these are great beers, but when a beer says chocolate, I want CHOCOLATE! Thats what you get from the Choklat by Southern Tier. Big, rich, roasty, chocolate flavors. This is a big imperial stout too, so its base style is rich, roasty, bittersweet with flavors of cocoa, and is robustly powerful. The Choklat usually comes in around 11% abv, but the 2010 version (which is at the LCBO for the time being) is 9.5%.

The Choklat was brewed maybe to honor of a sacred ancient Mayan beverage known as xocoalt; a fermented drink soaked with cocoa nibs. Even since ancient times chocolate was considered a highly prized, and even worshiped good - it was offered to gods and enshrined in hieroglyphs. And now it is in our beer!

I opened the Choklat up warm around 14C (57F) to best enjoy and absorb all the sweet and savory flavors it has to offer. This is not room temperature though; take the bottle out of the fridge and let it rest for 20 minutes to warm up. If this beer is too cold you will get a heavy dose of roast and bitter, but loose out on the sweet sensations of the real chocolate. I gently poured it into a snifter watching a silky and oil like beer fall heavily out of the bottle. The Choklat appeared pitch black and glimmering - it was a dark midnight with absolutely zero light able to penetrate its depth. A rich mocha-brown one and half inch foam that was created stood sturdy and strong with a dense and creamy capping of head, and superbly tight carbonation. This beer definitely talks the talk, but will it walk?

The nose is so sublime. Have you ever stuck you face in a bowl of bittersweet bakers chocolate? Thats what you are going to get with the Choklat. It is rich and perfuming with the undeniable aromas of rich dark chocolate. Dark malts also show their presence adding a sweet brown sugar and caramel aroma to the beer, but it finishes off slightly boozy. No hop aroma is noticeable, but bitter and clean roast does shine through easily. I should note, that this is a fresh bottle, and my best experiences with the Choklat have come when the beer has matured for 6 months or more in the bottle. So I expect that there are some fresh flavors here that will melt into perfect harmony in the coming months.

Opening your mouth to the Choklat is a crazy experience if you have never had it before, because there is no way then that you have ever had anything like this! The first sip is almost overwhelming as a lush and hugely thick wave of chocolate malts, roast malts, and pure dark chocolate pours over your palate. If you relax and try to absorb everything here you will pull out a complex and deeply flavorful beer.

It is packed with deep roasted flavors from both roasted barley and chocolate malts. Thick and powerful malt sensations bring the more traditional flavors of caramel along, but a richly bitter wave of espresso, sugary chocolate syrup, and more bakers chocolate pounds your tongue and taste buds. Bittering balance comes mostly from the bitter roast flavors, but lightly spicy and subtly sweet hop aromas curl in gently to balance the beer out a bit. It should not be mistaken though, the over arching flavor in this beer is chocolate, and lots of it.

The mouthfeel is soft and gentle, with a moderate amount of carbonation. At first it is a bit too crisp, but as the beer continue to warm it opens up. I would have liked to see a creamy and silkier mouthfeel overall, but it is still very soft and soothing. The finish is roasted with bitter chocolate all the way. A sweet malt flavor lingers in your mouth, and traces of bitter chocolate too. Enjoy the Choklat alone, or with rich and decadent deserts.

Pics at: http://definitionale.com/2010/10/28/tasting-the-southern-tier-choklat/

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

Was able to score some of this at the local Quick 6. Very glad I did!

Poured a dark black with only the slightest hints of dark brown peeking through on the edges when held to the light. I got one finger of mocha-colored head. Next to no lacing.

The best nose of any beer I've had yet to date. I got some milk chocolate in the nose, but mostly a rich dark chocolate truffle type of aroma. A chocolate lover's dream. Amazing.

The taste was terrific as well. I picked up a heavy dose of the dark chocolate on the finish and some milk chocolate up front, with the dark chocolate being much more pronounced. The booze is pretty well-masked, but enough is present to remind you to tread with caution....although it tastes great, its still a big kid's drink. You get some of a warming sensation as you drink it. Only complaint is that as it warms, the two different chocolate notes I got merged together to form just one overall melange of chocolate. An oatiness then emerges. Very pleasing.

Mouthfeel can be summed up in one word...rich. It goes down nice and smooth, but it has that full, thick body that an imperial stout should have. Its not sticky or syrupy...just right.

Overall, I believe this is as close to a perfect score as I've ever given to a beer, but its warranted. If you fancy stouts, this is a must try for you. It'll change your life. I do have some Founder's Breakfast Stout that I'm aging now for the winter months, so it will be interesting to see if it can live up to its enormous hype and top this Southern Tier offering.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

thank you LittleBreeze for this bottle!

Poured a black and oily into my glass with mahogany/ruby edges when backlit.

Smells like a tootie roll that has started to melt.. a familiar smell if you have them in your car in the arizona sun!

OMGosh. Liquid tootsie roll candy! I dont know what else to say about this one, i cant believe what i am tasting. It tastes like chocolate tootsie roll up front, not like candybar chocolate but i guess tootsie rolls are "chocolate flavored". There are slight hops in the finish, but only enough to cut the sweetness of the chocolate, but not enough to change the flavor.

This one is thick and coats my tongue well but no so heavy it makes me drink it slow.

I think i could session these ones as the alcohol is nowhere to be found, brilliantly masked 11%. I think i could drink these until i couldnt walk if i wasnt careful.

I need more.

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

Wowww does this one taste amazing. Imagine drinking liquid chocolate dipped in coffee.

This blends in amazingly and is a great brew at 10%. Took 2 hours to finish the bomber. Enjoying every sip!

Photo of

22oz. bottle

Poured an opaque, dark brown. Formed a small, light brown, head. Good legs, some lacing.

Surpringly enough, it smelled like chocolate! More like milk chocolate than bittersweet. Some alcohol/bourbon aroma peeked through. Chocolate covered cherries?

Taste was....chocolate. Initially seemed bittersweet, but moved towards more of a milk chocolate taste. Overall, certainly more sweet than bitter. Touch of alcohol in taste, but certainly nothing to make you think it was 11%. Hint of coffee. Towards the end, just a little bitterness, maybe herbal and back to bittersweet cacao.

Full body. Low carbonation. Sweet.

An excellent beer, and a fine dessert. Others have said that it becomes cloying towards the end, but I did not find it so. It was a bit tilted towards the chocolate taste, but consider the name of the beer...

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Extremely dark ruby red color, looks like black. Very nice dark brown head.

Aroma: Strong milk chocolate, amazing. Some roast and floral hops come through, maybe a bit of coffee, but it's dominated by the chocolate aroma.

Taste: Amazing milk chocolate flavor like no chocolate stout I've had before. Underneath all that chocolate there are some stout characteristics, like roast, dryness, coffee and a touch of hops. Some alcohol is noticeable, but it does not overwhelm.

Mouthfeel: Velvety smooth mouthfeel, very full-bodied, amazing. Great carbonation.

Drinkability: One of the best chocolate stouts out there! Most chocolate stouts only have a slight chocolate character to them, but this brew takes it to a new level. This beer is the real deal, top-notch brew!

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

Bomber poured into a goblet.

A- Extremely pitch black mud pours with a quarter finger brown head. Beautiful.
S- This smells very similar to a tootsie roll. Godly ammounts of milk chocolate, hot chocolate smells, good ammounts of coffee, some caramel. Some hoppy bitterness.
T- Whew chocolate! and lots of it. Dark and milky. This tastes like a tootsie roll got dipped into some hersheys a thrown into a fireplace. A good bit of alcohol in here but it really helps cuts the thick malts.
M- This beer has a stupidly smooth mouth feel. really coats the mouth with chocolate. Good carbonation. Very warming but if your ok with some booziness this beer has an amazing feel.
O- This beer is phenomenal. Id say its better then Founders breakfast stout, Its just chocolate instead of coffee.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pitch black beer with a tan head. The beer had a very rich smell of chocolate. The taste was a mix of roasted malts and chocolate, with a little hop bitterness. Despite the 11% ABV, I did not notice any alcohol burn or warmth. The beer went down quite easily, maybe a little too easily given the %ABV, but I'm not going to complain.

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

This beer was enough to bring me out of reviewing retirement.

The smell was pure bliss. Chocolate, malt. Its enough to make you drool, ok fine, salivate. Not the cheap milk chocolate sweet crap either, dark rich good chocolate.

The taste was incredible. You know how you sip a 30 year cognac? Thats what you end up doing here because you dont want to waste any of the flavor. It wasnt as thick as I would have thought but it was no detraction from the ability to sit back and enjoy a good glass of this labor of love. If the Mayan race drank anything similar to this back in the day, its a shame its been lost for so long. The human sacrifices can remain lost though. :-)

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

A: Black with a nice tan head. Good retention, nice lacing.

S: Like a chocolate bar - it's amazing how close it smells to a sweet dark chocolate. Some of the other chocolate stouts are much more bitter-smelling. This one smells like dessert.

T: Sweet dark chocolate is dominant and strong. Backing is basically undetectable, but has a slightly hoppy undertone. The overtone completely overpowers just about anything else, leaving the taste of complete chocolate-y goodness in your mouth. Would be nice if it had a little more depth, though.

M: Perfect carbonation, non-astringent, medium-body, a little syrupy. Perfect for the effect of liquid chocolate bar.

D: Actually, quite drinkable, which is surprising. I could definitely finish this off no problem on a full stomach.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Jet black, with a thin brown head with little retention.

S - Strong aroma of milk chocolate almost like a milkshake, but with a strong kick of alcohol.

T - Lots of chocolate and sweetness from the start with a good amount of alcohol to finish, but not overpowering. Well balanced considering the abv.

M - Silk and smooth. Very pleasing

D - Brings me back to when I was a kid drinking chocolate milkshake. Will most certainly have this again.

Served from a bomber poured into a pint glass.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Deep, dark midnight black in color. Absolutely no light passing through this one. Generous dark brown 1 finger head with low retention and limited spotty lacing.

S: Huge chocolately aroma. That's it...this smells like pure chocolate heaven.

T: Holy chocolately mouthgasm batman! This is the most chocolate heavy beer I've ever tasted and it's AWESOME. Well done Southern Tier, well done. Taste is a beautiful harmony of chocolate, and malts with an ever so minor hop bite.

M: Smooth, soft, medium bodied, sweet, awesome.

D: Pretty high ABV, but unbelievably drinkable. You'd be hard pressed to even tell this was a beer, let alone an alcoholic drink.

4.71/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I poured Choklat into my snifter. Haha, I like the sound of that. Cellar temperature. I was super-excited to find this stuff.

The head looks like two fingers of mocha foam. Creamy, frothy, and yummy-looking. The body? This is one of those "black as night" beers. Truly.

Now for the aroma... cocoa, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, fudge, chocolate milkshake, freshly-baked chocolate cookies, brownies... I could go on.It's pretty much every awesome chocolate scent that exists. Underneath the ubiquitous amalgamation of delicious chocolate things, I think I might smell a little vanilla and raisins. It is a joy and a privilege to sit here and sniff a snifter-full of this supremely sniffable stout.

The flavor does NOT disappoint. Thoroughly chocolaty in about as many ways as the aroma is. Early on, it tastes like a malty chocolate milkshake, and as the flavor unfolds into the finish, all the fantastic darker chocolate flavors come out. It kind of proceeds from milk chocolate, to semi-sweet chocolate, to bittersweet chocolate, and then finally to a nice bit of bitter and earthy unsweetened chocolate in the aftertaste. It's kind of like eating chocolate chips of all these varieties, one after the other in a progression that increases in chocolate purity. So the longer I wait between sips, the more it gets less sweet and malty, and more bitter and earthy. Have I said the word "chocolate" enough to describe what drinking this is like? Anyway, hops and yeast are just present enough to remind me that this is still indeed a beer, and not a chocolate dessert... or, I should say, not JUST a chocolate dessert. A rich, intense, balanced, smooth, and scrumptiously chocolaty flavor.

It kind of has the consistency of thick hot cocoa, and it's also kind of syrupy. Carbonation is muted and mellow.

A chocolate craving CAN be satisfied by baking a tray of brownies... or one could just drink one of these.

Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing Company