Choklat | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Added by BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Reviews: 1,561 | Ratings: 5,143
3.22/5  rDev -24.6%

2007 vintage

A_Pours a very dark black with a small tan head. Nothing really more to be said other than that.

S_The smell is dominated by a scent of fudge or better yet brownie mix. There is a bit of alcohol as well.

T_Very rich fudge is the best way to describe this. There are hints of espresso and alcohol but rich chocolate dominates here. The aftertaste is bitter chocolate again. Not overly complex but very chocolatey which is what I suppose they are going for.

M_A bit viscous with a light but hard carbonation. Works well here.

D_Very potent chocolate which while nice may be a bit too much for a beer. I am sure a year of sitting has tempered the alcohol somewhat which is a good thing. Decent enough but not my cup of tea.

3.23/5  rDev -24.4%

Grading appearance, smell, taste, mothfeel and drinkability, seperately, on a 1 to 5 scale, I fear that my overall grade will be somewhere around a B. That is not my intentions, but that is how the formulas work, and such is life.

Anyway, had it on tap at the Pratt Street Ale House in Baltimore (go Orioles!).

This is the most chocolaty, sweet, milk-shake-like beer that I've ever had, and that's not a good thing. I finished maybe half a pint before I went into diabetic shock. Just way, way too much chocolaty-sweetness going on here. I would have gone to Ben & Jerry's if I was looking for a sugar fix.

My Beer Advocate grade might say 'B' but my taste buds say 'I'm drowning in Giardelli's"

3.28/5  rDev -23.2%

I can appreciate what Southern Tier was going for here, but it was too much chocolate for me!! No fault of the beer...just a matter of style and personal taste.

Poured a dense dark brown with a small tan head and good lacing. No light got through this one. Head retention is what you would expect with a 11.0 beer.

Smelled like Nestle's Quik and malty beer. Taste was definitely too much Nestle's Quik. I could almost imagine feeling the powder you get when you don't stir the Nestles Quik well enough into the milk! There is balance here...not too sweet.(hops?)....malty taste is there, very subordinate to the chocolate though.

Mouthfeel is rich, but the heavy concentration of chocolate kind of put me off.

Drinkability is not that good. A good 8 oz. novelty, but it was a chore to but the 22 oz'er down.

3.29/5  rDev -23%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Pours a dark brown in color with about an inch of head. Smell is bakers chocolate and nothing more. Taste is much the same, chocolate domination. Kind of a creamy milkshake flavor. Tasted alot like fudge brownie mix powder. Absolutely no sign of the ABV whatsoever. Decent mouthfeel. But it's just an alright beer. I'll stick with the Jah-va and the Oat which are MUCH better beers.

3.29/5  rDev -23%

22 oz bomber, 2nd batch release brewed in fall 2008.

Poured into an Ommegang mini-snifter. Black, brown head fairly thick and layered, but breaks rather quickly. A very inviting look for a big stout.

The aroma is all chocolate, fudge, syrup, Nestle tollhouse chips. There is an aroma of heavy alcohol too, not off putting fusels but very big warm that presents like a liqueur. I pick up nothing from the malt profile of this beer and certainly no hops, the latter of which is certainly not a big deal, but I found the chocolate to be overwhelmingly the only dimension beyond the alcohol.

Taste is the same as the aroma, huge overwhelming chocolate flavors, very interesting in that as it warms the chocolate flavors never subside, never play second fiddle. Like the aroma the only other fiddle in the taste is alcohol which serves to create a bit of lightness in the heavy chocolate character and wash the finish clean in each sip.

Mouthfeel is very full bodied, slick and oily from the chocolate character with what little perceptible bitterness accentuated by the alcohol.

As far as drinkability, this is an interesting concept for a beer and easily the most chocolate flavor I have encountered in a beer, but I do not find this to be an American Double or an Imperial stout in any real regard, this is a specialty flavored beer much like any of the hybrid fruit, vegetable or spiced styles. It is very intriguing and should be tried at least once if you can get it.

At nearly $10 a bomber, this beer simply does not say repeat visits to me.

3.29/5  rDev -23%

Not trying to slam this beer but it didn't do it for me. I had it last year and remember it being better than this.

A- Poured into snifter jet black with little to no head and had no lacing when glass was finished

S- Dark cherries, malted milk, smores over a campfire without the smoke flavor

T- Chocolate covered cherries, it hides the alcohol well. I know it's not at all cost effective to use high quality chocolate for such a widely distributed beer but Choklat is to real chocolate as instant coffee is to fair trade. I can taste the coco powder

M- Had some weight to it but still a touch dry

D- Because of the high ABV, not so much. Possible desert to share w/ friends, in small portions. It's as drinkable as eating 2lbs of chocolate is edible.

3.29/5  rDev -23%

A: Black as cola with barely any head at all. No retention and minimal lacing. It's not much do look at and overall unimpressive. Very little carbonation, even for a stout.

S: It smells strongly of malted barley, very similar to how a barleywine smells. There is no scent of chocolate on the nose.

T: It tastes as dark as it looks, with burnt and bitter notes. It has roasted coffee flavors. I have had a number of other chocolate stouts, some are stronger in chocolate flavor and some are weaker. This one is very weak, and the bitter chocolate flavor is barely noticeable. The more you drink it, the more you pick up a slight chocolate flavor. It takes a while to coat the mouth enough to really pick it out from the barrage of roasted bitters. The ABV listed on my bottle is 11% but I don't taste it, obviously masked by the thick flavors. That alone awards merit.

M: The mouthfeel is alright. It tastes a little undercarbonated and flat. It is bitter but not overly bitter. It is malty without being too sweet which is a plus.

D: It is not overly bitter or sweet, so it is very easy to drink this. I would have liked more chocolate hints that this didn't provide. More carbonation probably would have brought out the flavors a little more as well. It's a shame to see Belgian chocolate go to waste!

Southern Tier is one of my favorite breweries, so I would love to see this beer improved on in the future,

3.29/5  rDev -23%

Poured this beer from a 22 oz bomber into a duvel snifter glass.

A- This imperial stout pours a dark brown, almost black in color with about a half a finger of lacing that quickly subsides into a thin layer which remained through about 3/4 of the glass. The lacing from this beer was minimal with a few small strains here and there.

S- The smell from this Imperial Stout was very, very bold. Chocolate. Lots and lots of it. Alcohol also came through on the nose and just the slightest hint of roasted malts.

T- To be honest, this beer was too sweet for me, hence the average 3.0 rating. There was lots of bitter dark chocolate flavor...a whole lot, but I just couldn't get any depth from the brew. Some mild alcohol notes came through and just a the smallest hints of roasted malts. The chocolate flavor was just way to overpowering for me to give this any higher of a rating. A beer needs to have layers of flavor and complexity, and for the this was a very one dimensional brew. The finish was dark chocolate and bitter tasting (IE Bitterness from the dark chocolate)

M- Good mouthfeel with little carbonation. A nice thickness and smoothness, but not overboard in either category.

D- This falls flat when it comes to drinkability. The chocolate sweetness just became way to much after about 8 oz's, which took about a half hour to drink. It took me an hour and a half to finish the last 14 oz of the bomber.

Overall, this would be an exceptional beer for the chocolate lover who literally wants to drink liquid chocolate. For me, however, it was much to sweet and much too chocolaty for my personal liking. I was hoping for a nice chocolate backbone with lots of other flavors, but it turned out to be focused more on loads of chocolate flavor than complexity.

3.3/5  rDev -22.7%

THis might have rated higher but for the hype, but I made a huge point of breaking this out for my spouse for dessert based on prior reviews and it was mediocre chocolate syrup taste with beer. Sorry. Now thinking about a Rogue or Youngs Chocolate Stoudt. Or even an old school Brooklyn.

3.31/5  rDev -22.5%

Black pour with a full two fingers of head and great lacing. Smell is cocoa powder, bread crust, maybe even a few floral hops. Taste is roasted malt up front with some cocoa powder on the finish that is a bit harsh. Although I can taste the chocolate, I most definitely am not getting the same rush of Hershey's syrup that others describe (and that I was hoping for). I'm not sure if this is an '08 or '09 bottle. If it is an '08 than I guess this beer is probably not suited for aging. If it is an '09 then I guess the rumors about Southern Tier recipe changes must be true. Or perhaps nothing has changed and I just don't perceive it the way others have.

Mouthfeel is full to medium, the alcohol is pretty well hidden despite the high ABV. But I'm just not really into the taste, and I absolutely love chocolate beers.

3.32/5  rDev -22.2%

Bomber received in trade with bmanning. Poured into DFH Chalice>

Look: Very nice looking beer. Jet black. Nice 1"Head with decent lacing. Very attractive beer.

Smell: Just as advertised. Chocolate malt, Milk Chocolate, dark chocolate and everything in between.

Taste: One of the richest beers I've ever had. Super-rich chocolate flavors but insanely sweet. I did enjoy the rich chocolate flavors but this one was way, way too sweet for me, I struggled to finish the bomber which is not a problem that I usually have. Maybe I should have split this one? I dunno?

Mouthfeel: Nice. Coated the tongue with rich chocolate. Full bodied and nice.

Overall: Honestly, I wanted to love this one along with everyone else. I liked the look, smell, and feel. Unfortunately, I didn't really enjoy overall due to the sweetness. Next time, I will try this on Breyer's Vanilla Bean, which is where this one belongs.

3.32/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

22oz bottle split with my wife.

A: Pours in a solid stream of black ooze. Thin ring of mocha head. Nice legs.

N: Chocolate syrup. Big surprise there, really. Vanilla extract and tons more of the milk chocolate. There are hints of malt and then again..syrup.

T: Bitter chocolate mixed with the syrup. Surprisingly bitter and has an unpleasant chalky taste. Has some smoke and leather elements. Can’t tell if I like it.

M: Pleasantly carbonated with a decently thick body. Alcohol is well hidden.

O: A strange concoction that’s not as sweet as you’d expect and not as complex as you might want. Not great. Oh well.

3.33/5  rDev -22%

Deep and dark, basically black. Thin to medium tan head, not much retention. Smell is overwhelmingly dark chocolate. Some sugary sweetness to it but mostly dark, bitter, melted chocolate. I like this, I think...is it beer, though? Smells like it should be in solid form rather than liquid. Taste is pretty nice. Definitely an assault with the chocolate again. Dark, rich, liquid chocolate. What more can be said? Oh yeah, it gets really sweet. I like this better than the smell because it adds a hint of roast to the mix along with a faint green hop bitterness. Still, though...the chocolate, it's lovely. Just too much chocolate, not enough beer. Close to a full bodied brew with a good feel for sure. Good level of carbonation. I wish this were more drinkable but unfortunately for me, it's not. Takes quite a while to consume. I'd prefer splitting this with three people, even. One of those brews that is on the brink of being brilliant but it's just slightly held back. Add a touch more roast, a little more depth, and this is one amazing brew. As is, it's quite one-dimensional and reminds me of Mike Tyson. It packs a heavy chocolate punch but has too many other issues to be a consistent knockout...damn, that was bad.

3.34/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Put this one in the "too much of a good thing" category for me. poured jet black, but with a little head that faded pretty fast and left little lacing. as soon as it's out of the bottle your nose is scream ing chocolate. smells like tootsie rolls. taste is just overwhelming chocolate. that's all i get. it's ok, but so one sided as to come across as a very simplistic brew and doesn't do much more than beat you about the head and scream, "hey! i brewed this beer with cholocalte!!!" no way i could finish a pint of this.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Just going to have one beer tonight while working on some projects for the job.... Pulled this one out because I knew I wouldn't need to think too hard about it.

Poured at cellar temperature.. 1 finger dark tan head dies quickly leaving only one little drape of lacing... the brew is black but on the pour it looked a little thin.

Nose is artificial chocolate... reminds me alot of the Dremo's Donut stout... chocolate syrup....

Flavor is only minimally better.. tastes like a tootsie roll smells.... milk chocolate and dark battle back and forth with too much sweetness and not enough actual stout flavors to be enjoyable in my mind... lite roastiness is there, but in the background...

The body is a good medium full, yet the carbonation seems too fizzy...

Overall.... I can see how some people would really enjoy this one, but it is very artificial smelling and tasting... okay for sure, but it is going to take me a long time to polish off the bomber and I guess that is what I was looking for tonight.

3.5/3/3.5/3.5/3.5

Edit: Not sure who sent this to me... sorry... It is a year or so old.... it had the silkscreen labels that scrape off easily.

3.38/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle, this beer pours black with a finger-thick eggshell head that settles very quickly. The aroma is pure chocolate, with a hint of coffee and some toast. The taste is sweet, almost cloying. Bittersweet chocolate? Tastes a bit more like Hershey's here. Other flavors given off are coffee, bread, and some fruity hops. This beer is thick, sweet, and is almost over the top. Definitely worth a try, but I wouldn't say more than once, unless you are serving it with dessert.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to hops1337 for sharing this with me. The beer poured black, just like a big stout should, but had just a thin cap of head didn't feature much retention or lacing.

My big complaint about bourbon barrel aged beers is that the bourbon often overpowers the beer. The same is true with this brew, except that the beer is hidden behind chocolate. The first whiff was like opening a candy bar, and the beer scents never really showed through. The flavor was solidly beer though. The chocolate was still dominant, but the soildly made base beer showed through better.

The body was decent, a bit thin, but smooth and easy across the tongue. Drinkability is going to depend on how solid of a sweet tooth you have. I love chocolate but think I'd have trouble with a 22 on my own, this is a beer that cries out to be sold in 12s.

Overall, a beer I liked and will have every so often, but it won't make my regular rotation.

Poured into HotD tulip.
Pours nicely one finger brown head. Dark brown in appearance.
Smell precedes taste with, what else? Chocolate.
The chocolate taste at first is good - I like chocolate. Taste is of real cocoa chocolate slightly burnt.
Nice.
Then I took another sip. And another.
And that was enough. Cloyingly sweet. Enough already.
This is not a beer I enjoyed after the initial couple of sips. Will save the rest to pour over vanilla ice cream.

3.4/5  rDev -20.4%

This wasn't a terrible beer. Had a very strong "choklat" aroma. The body I felt started strong but slightly dropped off while soaking the palate. Very strong appearance with no head, no lacing really either. For the seven dollars that I spent on this beer and to add it to the tried list I didn't think this beer was a total flop. With some really good stouts I've tried recently this is not high on the list but certainly not last.

3.4/5  rDev -20.4%

A: Black. A dark tan head of one finger tops it off.

S: Pure milk chocolate. Not much else.

T: pretty much the same as the nose. Chocolate.

M: A bit thin. Some more body and smoothness would be nice. Carbonation is right on.

Overall: A one trick pony. Chocolate And not much else. Not very easy to drink. A chore to finish. A 12oz. Bottle would be nice. Definitely not something I would drink again.

3.42/5  rDev -19.9%

This beer was a nearly opaque brown, clear, with a half finger head. I tried shining an LED flashlight through it and almost nothing came through.

Aroma was all chocolate at first, sweet and sugary. The comparison I red below to Hershey's Syrup is a valid one. Roasted grains came through only when I went hunting for them.

Taste was of strong roasted grains, followed by a splash of bitterness. A burst of alcohol came through at the swallow, and the finish was faint chocolate with that lingering bitterness. The chocolate came through stronger when I took a much larger swallow, but the bitterness was much greater as well. Not a great trade-off.

Mouthfeel was much too thin for a double stout. It just didn't pull it together for me.

Drinkability gets low marks too. It was all I could do just to finish the bottle. Of course, since I can open my throat and drink a lot at once, and I was looking for a buzz, I managed to do it.

3.42/5  rDev -19.9%

Thanks to mikecharley for this one. 22 oz bomber, split with my wife into 2 oversized snifters.

Pours very dark brown with brownish-red highlights. Only a small light brown head, but it is easily revived by swirling every few minutes. Minimal lacing.

Given the reputation of this one, it's no surprise that it smells well, chocolatey. Chocolate is definitely dominant, but plenty of dark roasted malt, a touch of coffee and maybe a hint of vanilla are in there, too.

Big chocolate flavors dominate, but it's not nearly as one-dimensional as I'd braced myself for. Other sweet flavors we picked out included toffee and vanilla, and the sweetness is kept in check by dark roasted malt, coffee, some earthiness from the Willamette hops and a nice sting of bitterness in the finish from the Chinooks. Not bad, really.

Mouthfeel is nice. Fairly full-bodied, with a distinct creaminess from the flaked barley and chocolate.

Drinkability's pretty good in spite of the sweetness. Each of us put down our half of the bomber with ease. Overall impression: Pretty nice dessert beer, and definitely more complex than anticipated.

3.42/5  rDev -19.9%

Pours almost pitch black, only the faintest hints of brown/deep-red can be seen at the top edge of the beer when held to direct light. The head that forms is dense, deep-espresso in color and dissipates to a fine layer of head on the top of the beer. The smell is all over the place. I get some nice milk chocolate notes, with the glass sitting on the desk next to me, coupled with a light roasted character. Putting my nose up to the glass releases a chocolate aroma reminiscent of a nice sipping chocolate, sweet milk, and the faintest hint of some kind of roasted malt. This thing isn't messing around when it says it's "a stout brewed with chocolate." The first sip carries a bit more roasted malt to it than the smell, but a dark chocolate flavor quickly overpowers most of the roasted character. A milky sweetness coats the tongue, despite the slightly less than smooth mouthfeel of the beer. The roasted character sticks around after the sweetness has departed; a nice compliment to the milky sweetness at the start of the sip. There's still some stout characteristics buried under the sweetness, as evidenced by the nice roasted character. Truly a well-balanced approach to a dessert beer, as this would most certainly be if given the opportunity. Some spiciness sneaks through on the back of the taste, livening the overall flavor of the beer slightly. Warming only enhances these characteristics, taking it from a good beer, to a damn fine beer. Seriously, I could drink this over and over again. Chalk another one up to the guys over at Southern Tier.

3.42/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle from early 2009. Served in a pint-shaped Goose Island taster glass.

A - Pours with a late-rising dime of tan foam that sizzles quickly to a light haze. No ring or lacing on top of a very, very dark brown that is slightly lighter at the fringes.

S - Hershey's chocolate syrup, malted milk balls, chocolate icing. Incredibly sweet, without much else going on. Alcohol is well-hidden I guess. Bonus points for achieving what they set out to do.

T - Taste is less good, with lighter chocolate over top of a pretty bland stout base - not much in the way of roastiness or complementary flavors. Lots of residual dark chocolate and earthy bitterness, and a bit of booze as well.

M - Low carbonation, and a medium, slightly watery, body that seems a little thin for the ABV. I think a little more carbonation might have actually helped. There's also a bit of warmth after a while. Very sticky residual texture.

D - I'm glad I split this bomber with others, as I can feeling my heart rate accelerating. Drinking a whole bomber would probably result in the loss of a limb. I love the chocolate in a Hunahpu's, but this is a one-trick pony here.

3.43/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark brown with a small, tan frothy head.

Chocolate is not as prominent on nose as I thought, with toffee and caramel coming in just as or even more strongly. There is even a good amount of malt and hops present, with the malt giving off a spent grain aroma. Not a sweetness bomb like most Southern Tier.

Taste is slightly bitter chocolate, not too sweet, with a frothy, light, tangy body.

Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing Company