1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series)Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series)
3.92/5
Very Good

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
stbcbeer.com

Style: English Sweet / Milk Stout

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

Ratings: 4,674 |  Reviews: 1,491
Reviews by Douglas14:
4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours out a pitch black color with a light tan head that leaves a lot of lace. The aroma is overwhelmingly of brown sugar, syrup, caramel, and creamy coffee. The taste follows the smell. The taste is wonderful - kind of weird at first but still amazing. The Creme Brulee tastes like brown sugar and coffee-flavored cream...or maple syrup and pancakes (like i said, weird at first but still good). Slight roasted malt notes appear towards the end. It has a full body and feels heavy and excellent in the mouth. The intense sugar and syrup qualities of this beer knocked down the drinkability score...i can;t imagine drinking more than one of these at a time.

Anyway, Southern Tier surprised me again with this beer and how amazing they are. Well done.

4.51/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Creme Brulee - Southern Tier Brewing

Imperial Milk Stout

ABV - 9.6%

APPEARANCE: As I began to pour this beer it slowly came gurgling out like it was waiting for an invitation. Black motor oil liquid that devours the glass into a deep darkness. Small amounts of a milk chocolate rim variations sit underneath a dense latte colored head. Dense and tightly bubbled head that has a long lasting retention.

AROMA: Imagine taking the best creme brulee you have ever smelled, chopping it up and snorting it. Ya that's what this beer smells like. Its insane I can smell the intense vanilla from 2-3 feet away. Loads of caramelized and slightly burnt brown sugar join the vanilla as dominate aromas coming forth. If you can get beyond the vanilla and sugar there is a very creamy milk aroma and marshmallow that gives way to a slight coca dusting. It honestly smells amazing I've never gotten this much vanilla on the nose of any beer before, outstanding!

TASTE: Liquid custard, heavy cream, vanilla Nesquik tons of lactose that adds a residual sweetness that is delicious as a creme brulee is. There is a slight break in the upfront sweetness that shows some malt characteristics, caramel, nuttiness with some light espresso flavors. The presence of vanilla is undeniable, although it doesn't quite dominant the palate as it did on the nose.That leaves room for the caramelized and burnt sugar flavors to join in on the fun. As this beer begins to warm up it does reveal a layer of the traditional stout flavors, with some bitter chocolate and roasted malts that tie this beer together and really round it out.

MOUTHFEEL: Low plus carbination with a medium plus body. Almost drinks like a melted creme brulee milk shake, with a very creamy mouthfeel. The nearly 10% abv can be detected and i think its a welcome reception to remind myself that this is a beer after all.

OVERALL: Its funny to read all the reviews and see how people are bashing this beer for being to sweet. Did you not read the label and see its said "Creme Brulee" and "lactose sugar" ? I for one new exactly what I was getting into, I saved it for after dinner, late night when i was ready to drink my dessert and it did not disappoint. It drinks like liquid creme brulee, that a stout was poured on top of and then flamed. Whats not to like about that? The nose on this beer is in the top I have ever let my nostrils consume, amazing. My only complaint i would say is there is a thin line when letting this warm up, its nice to get the stout flavors to come out but let it get just a tad warmer and it does start to get a medicinal, astringent thing going on.

RATING: 4.6/5 Zombie Heads!

2.36/5  rDev -39.8%

I was shocked how much this reminded me of artificial sugar and fake vanilla. This was the first large format that I didn't continue past half a glass.

1.47/5  rDev -62.5%

A: The pour is a dark brown color with a khaki colored head that settles down to a thin layer.

S: The amount of butterscotch, caramel, vanilla and burnt sugar in the nose is nearly unbearable. I felt like I got a cavity just from smelling it.

T: I thought the nose was bad, but jeeze. This is pure, unadulterated sugar. Butterscotch, burnt sugar, vanilla, caramel, and some sugar on top for good measure. A bit creamy, but who really cares?

M: The body is medium with a low carbonation and a tooth rotting sweetness.

D: I'm pretty sure I am diabetic after having taken a few sips of this beer. So unbearably sweet and sugary without any sort of balance.

4.37/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a very dark brown to the point of appearing black, producing less than a finger of frothy, deep mocha, short-lived head that leaves a thin surface layer & collar & no lace. Aroma is vanilla, Tootsie Roll, lightly creamed coffee, caramel, roast, dark malts, toffee, alcohol booze, a hint of amaretto & a faint hint of anise/licorice. Taste is Tootsie Roll, vanilla, strong & earthy creamed coffee, amaretto, burnt bread, prune, fig, alcohol booze & a little spice. The burnt malt & caramel adds a note suggestive of maple syrup. Hop presence is best defined as an earthy bitterness in the finish & aftertaste. Aftertaste is earthy, bitter, burnt malt, vanilla/chocolate/coffee & boozy. Alcohol warmth is present. Mouthfeel is medium-heavy bodied, with low-moderate carbonation, silky & creamy, tongue coating, smooth in a deceptive sort of way due to the peppery alcohol spice & grainy on the tongue in the aftertaste. Just a trifle too sweet for my taste but a great choice for an after dinner desert beer.

1.62/5  rDev -58.7%

22 oz bomber, poured into a snifter.

Before reading this review, please understand this is an extreme beer that *will* divide the crowd. I decided to write down notes and review it later, as I might have been too emotional on the night itself. I wanted to give it a more honest chance than just a 1.0 in every category and say it's the worst beer I've ever had. It's not, but boy is it close.

A: Okay, I suppose. Quite thin-looking with obvious reddish notes. Foamy, bubbly, soapy head.

S: WHOA-HOA-HOA! Absolutely horrendous. I think the best way to describe it, is the vanilla-scented candle from Hell. Huge waft of artificial vanilla essence with a vague hint of hops are all I get from this. For being so artificial, it's also surprisingly stale. It smells like the butterscotch and vanilla sweets your grandparents used to keep in the TV cabinet where temperatures would reach the upper eighties, together with their collection of rubber bands and potpourri. Sickening.

T: I suppose you could live with the smell if the taste was up to scratch, but sadly I was equally disappointed. The stench of rotten and chemical vanilla in your nose contradicts with the mostly hoppy flavors you get in your mouth at first, which is then washed away by booze to lead to a sandy dry finish. I don't know what this is supposed to be, but I sure as heck don't like it. Absolutely lip-curlingly vile.

M: I suppose this isn't over-carbonated and therefore has an okay mouthfeel, but this is sadly one of these numbers I have to fiddle around with to give it the low score I feel it deserves.

O: Knowing that a lot of people aren't big fans of Southern Tier's emulation style of brewing, I did rather like their Oat, Choklat and Mokah when I tried them. This however is just a swing and a miss for me. A big swing, I'll grant them that, and this is one of those beers that probably go well with people that have either an immense sweet tooth, or just... well... sorry, I can't begin to imagine how anyone could like this. That is - however - just my opinion, and I like the fact that Southern Tier either goes big or goes home. Big kudos on that!

2.35/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Bomber poured into pilsner glass. Drank with dessert (banana cream pudding)

Appearance: dark brown color with tan foaming head; minimal lacing
Smell: caramel, milk, vanilla, maybe maple syrup? very sweet... too sweet for my liking
Taste: better than it smells; sweet, but not overbearing. The aftertaste is slightly bitter
Mouthfeel: thick; kind of like coffee with too much cream
Overall: goes together well with desserts like pudding and ice cream, but still too sweet for my taste. It's nice to try unusual brews every once and awhile, but I probably won't seek this one out anymore

4.59/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Murky dark Tootsie Roll brown with khaki head; toffee and caramel candy/sugar beet notes; toffee and caramel candy flavors; mouthfeel is medium with big chewy candy tongue coating; rich sweet malt, toffee and caramel - like drinking liquid creme brûlée dessert.

1.6/5  rDev -59.2%

A sickeningly sweet, artificial taste that was hard to place and a texture in my mouth like motor oil and lidocaine. The numbness in my mouth from this horrible beer lasted all day, but the taste was still on my tongue the next. Worse than a hangover. The people who rave about this have obviously never had a great Crème Brulee because this doesn't capture the taste or feel of one at all.

Edit: I stupidly tried this again at Thanksgiving because I didn't want to be rude to the host. It was just as horrible the second time. Luckily, I was able to beg off drinking more than a sip.

4.98/5  rDev +27%

One the best stouts there is.

3.15/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Pours nice and dark with a small cream head. Smells quite nice all be it a bit sweet. Unfortunately this was where the appeal ended. The taste is sickly sweet and resulted in an instant headache, the feel is sticky and leaves behind a viscous coating.

Was looking forward to this one and was left very disappointed.

4.16/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very smooth with a touch of sweetness, even used a bottle for a batch of ribs on did in the crock pot that gave the ribs a nice sweet note to them that even carried through sometime in the smoker

A: Poured into a snifter to a light black beer topped by a dense one finger light tan head that fades slowly to a collar around the edge of the glass with some lacing
S: Smells of sugar and straight vanilla. Kind of like vanilla salt water taffy or vanilla ice cream
T: Taste is vanilla, sugary sweetness, some astringency I can't place, faint roast malt. Swallow is more vanilla and sugar with some well placed roasted malt. Slight alcohol on the finish
M: thick in the mouth with soft carbonation and a slightly drying finish.
O: This beer is true to its name with a lot of vanilla and sugary sweetness. If you like to drink your dessert this one is right up your alley. I kind of wish they put this in a smaller bottle because this much sweetness could easily get cloying. I'm also a little worried that this beer might give me a cavity..

2.57/5  rDev -34.4%

Lots of fans of this beer... just found out that I am not one. Looks great, with a pitch black body and ring of tan head. Served good and cold, as suggested. Nose was exactly like a Werthers' Original candy (which is OK by me). Could barely get past the first sip... hyper-sweet, astringest, horrible. Mouthfeel was basically a guess... can't do it. Wife thinks it is fine. If it wasn't for her, there goes an 8.99 drain pour. Bottom of the barrel for me. I am a stout guy, and this hit way off the mark for me.

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

I've had this sitting for three years not particularly to age it but rather just didn't open it. Pours the part-extremely dark. Aroma is superb. Burnt sugar, vanilla, heavy cream, confectionary, cocoa nibs and hint of roast coffee. First taste is chilled and matches the nose. I like the fact that I can really pick out each characteristic. As it warms dimensions change to extremely sweet, as it hurts the teeth, and more coffee roast is apparent which I like. Feel is sticky on the lips and low carbonation. Overall I cannot compare this to a fresh bottle but I do not believe aging this has any dramatic effect, as I imagine. Loved it colder much lost luster as it warmed. Irregardless, the title fits the part. In that respect this is a solid brew.

This beer was highly recommended by my waitress at Flying Saucer. It came out in a 22 oz bottle.

I poured it into a tulip glass.

A: at first glance it looks great. good color.
S. the aggressive aroma made me immediately think this beer was loaded with some kind of fake extracts. I checked the bottle and found it was all natural ingredients.
T: I took a swig, and I could barely swallow. I would almost rather consume a BMC beer. I nearly left the rest of it there and walked out. But it was way to pricey to waste.
M: the mouthfeel was astringent almost. It felt chemically.
O: No. don't drink this beer

1.5/5  rDev -61.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

This beer is absolutely horrible. The smell is obnoxious and unappealing. The taste is worse. It has one of the worst aftertastes I've ever experienced; somewhat medicinal and just downright nasty. The beer looks good, however; its opaque, almost black, and pours a nice tan, one finger head. Unfortunately, it's all looks, and no taste. I couldn't finish this one. I read other descriptions and I guess my taste buds aren't refined enough because I didn't taste cocoa, chocolate, Creme brûlée, vanilla or anything else described in this beer. It's horribly sweet and unappealing. Won't be buying this again.

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I knew this was going to be awesome as soon as I popped the cap and aromas of caramel and vanilla immediately filled the room. Poured from 12-ounce bottle into a snifter. Deep dark brown in color, with highlights of a caramel-sauce hue and a decent tan head that left some spotty lacing. This smell of this is something that I could never get tired of. As mentioned, huge aromas of caramel and vanilla dominate. These are prominent on the palate as well, with some roasty bitterness and a little sweetness lingering on the aftertaste. This didn't seem to me to be overly sweet, and certainly not cloying. In addition, there doesn't seem to be much alcohol warmth for such a big beer. Dangerously deceptive and decadent. Well done!

2.16/5  rDev -44.9%

On tap in Jacksonville, FL. Think cream soda with sweetened coffee. Way too sweet but that should have been expected with "Creme Brûlée" in the name. Stopped after a few sips.

4.27/5  rDev +8.9%

A: The beer is jet black in color and poured with a finger high tan head that quickly faded away and left lacy patterns of bubbles floating on the surface.
S: There is a strong and sweet aroma of butterscotch and vanilla beans in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and has flavors of caramel, brown sugar, heavy cream and vanilla beans.
M: It feels medium-bodied, smooth and slightly viscous on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
D: Drinking this beer is practically like having dessert; it goes down very easily and there's not a trace of the alcohol content in the smell and taste.

3.96/5  rDev +1%

Better enjoyed quite cold, as suggested; whatever "natural flavor" has been added starts to taste pretty artificial as the beer warms. When chilled, I get the vanilla and some caramelized sugars, but the predominant flavor is amaretto. Much worse if you let it get anywhere near room temperature, with some bitter and metallic compounds that surface.

4.21/5  rDev +7.4%

Thanks to mjtiernan for sending me this one!

Pours an opaque black with a small 1/2 inch khaki head that fades to an oily film on the top of the beer. Small amounts of lacing slide back down into the rest of the beer on the drink down. Smells exactly like creme brulee. Very sweet milk, vanilla, and caramelized sugar aromas. Taste is a bit different than I was expecting. Up front there is a pretty bitter roasted malt taste that develops into a sweet cream, vanilla, and caramelized sugar aftertaste. The bitterness fades after each sip leaving the creme brulee flavors on the palate. This beer is definitely less sweet than it smells. Mouthfeel is very rich and creamy with a lower level of carbonation. Overall, this is a good beer that smells and tastes very similar to the creme brulee dessert. I split this one with my wife and she absolutely loved it. This and the Choklat are the best ST Black Water Series beers that I have tried.

4.27/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Damn. Dessert in a glass, balanced booze for days...
L - Black as death - solid, a little transparency only towards the end of the glass (snifter).
S - This is where CB shines; smells intoxicating, as in Dennis Hopper intoxicating. Put in an oxygen tank. Inhale.
T - A little too sweet overall, which lessens the ability to enjoy more than a small snifter of this, but great winter beer.
F - Good, balanced, not overly carbonated, stays lively.
O - A December-January beer if there ever was one. Gonna have this with pumpkin pie this season!

4.54/5  rDev +15.8%

As Southern Tier does with all Black Water beers in the series, this one oozes with creamy goodness of chocolate cream pie, to the point that I forget that this is a 10% Milk Stout.

Very strong aromas of, well... Creme Brulle. Strong vanilla, coffee, chocolate. Very well balanced and mouth watering. A light hint of cola comes in the end.

Flavors of vanilla and powdered sugar start off in as well as any beer imaginable. Soon, strong coffee, chocolate, vanilla, heavy cream, and merange (sp?) engulf the beer and dive heavy into a Khaluha-like alcohol taste and strength. Very nice but that extra sweetness begins to take the form of aspirtame from time to time.

Quite heavy on the palate due to light carbonation, heavy sweetness, and firm maltiness. Bitterness seems to come from a lot of directions; hops, bitter cocoa, coffee, and again that aspirtame bite. Finishes a bit cleaner than expected with a deep chocolate and vanilla linger. I would probably prefer this beer without the disjointed bitterness.

Again, this is not a desert beer- It is the desert!

Thanks JNN4V

3.73/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

nice looking dark brown pour, black in glass. less than a finger of tan head that recedes quickly, leaving a few spots of lace. aroma is pretty nice, super sweet vanilla, dark fruity cherry note, sweet chocolate. on palate it is decent at first, but as it warms becomes extremely cloying and almost medicinal. at first i thought it might be enjoyable, but ultimately it is not.

Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series) from Southern Tier Brewing Company
Beer rating: 3.92 out of 5 with 4,674 ratings