Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States | website

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

Added by ph2001 on 07-12-2008

Reviews: 1,429 | Ratings: 4,476

A - Pours a rich and thick dark brown to black. Forms a half finger of thick creamy tan head. Leaves nice whispy lacing on the walls of the glass.
S - I can literally smell this two feet away from the bottle as I pour it. These aromas are not faint, they are STRONG like a scented candle. Vanilla, custard, sweetened cream cheese, heavy cream, caramel and butterscotch. Literally the most rich, decadent and delicious smelling beer I've ever smelled.
T - Thjs actually has an AMAZING balance and isn't over the top cloyingly sweet as the aroma would lead you to believe it is. There's a definite strong bitter chocolate and malt upfront when you first sip, more traditional stout Flavors, but then this lends way to absolutely rich vanilla, caramelized lactose sugar, butterscotch and custard. I cannot believe how true to the creme brûlée name this beer stays in both it's flavor and aroma. It truly is liquid creme brûlée.
O - A truly amazing stout that all stout fans MUST try in their lifetime. Ten out of ten, five stars. Amazing.
V - Bought in a single bomber, worth it at any price is say.

Served On Tap at Westover Market Arlington, VA

A: Dark black havoc. Zero foam residue. Pure heaven!

S: ohhh my my my. Sweet sweet malt balls, Vanilla sugar cookies, dark roast Costa Rican coffee beans. Caramelized sugar cane.

T: OMG. OMG.. seriously... OMG... Southern Tier are the masters of Dessert beer!!!
Ready??
Vanilla with caramel swirl ice cream. Toasted Honey bun. Oak Cask. Dark roasted Costa Ricas coffee. Whopping malt balls. Like WHOPPERS candy in a glass!!
The Full creamy dairy milk masks the booze in this utterly delicious brew.

M: Richy creamy medium carbo mouth full. This would be glorious on a nitro tap! Smooth and gum tingling. It really coats the tongue O so well.

O: So amazing. It's so out of this world amazing that it should be held high above all other stouts as WOW... This will knock the socks off anyone who tries it. This is what should be served with my last meal..
Get yours NOW. Today.. Check all beer places. and Buy as many bottles as you can.. Well save some. just get 3.

Only slightly less drinkable than its fall cousin, Pumpking, this beer is a perfect dessert beer or something to drink during a cold night by a fire.

A- Dark as any winter's night, with minimal brown foaming at the top.

S- Creme Brulee. Those crazy bastards did it again, it smells just like you'd expect warm Creme Brulee to, while being cold. For me, someone that bakes, that's AMAZING. I can crack a bottle and people across the room have smelled it. But how does it..

Taste- Exactly as it smells, just like pumpking did. Delicious Vanilla and Caramel overtones, dancing around a coffeelike porter taste. The rich, syrupy taste left on your tongue afterwards reminiscent of hot chocolate syrup. Note, this does not taste like any other beer you'll have, be that good or bad. If you're expecting a traditional imperial stout, this is not the beer for you. This is unique and very rich, creamy, and sweet. Barely a trace of bitterness to be found.

Mouthfeel- Traditional imperial syrupy coating. Not too intrusive, but it's there.

Drinkability- Said it before, I'll say it again. One and done. Considering Southern Tier is a respectable but still pricey 7$ a bottle (on average), do you really want to kill two bottles in a night?

Men, if you have wives or girlfriends, even ones that claim they hate "beer", sneak this to them during a fancy dessert on your anniversary or valentine's day. Assuming they like chocolatey/coffeeish tastes, split this bottle between the two of you over a hot brownie, you may make a beer convert out of them yet.

When my good friend came to town for a surprise visit, I happened to have a bomber bottle of Creme Brulee in the fridge on hand, for I had never tried it. In honor of his joyous if unexpected presence, we cracked it opened, and it was so good that we grabbed another a couple days later. Simply phenomenal.

A lazy pour produced one and one-half fingers of tan foam atop an impenetrable black body. A small, persistent dollop rested atop it like a small scoop of vanilla ice cream that wouldn't melt for much of the duration. Amazing. The smell did not disappoint--rife with vanilla bean, coffee, cocoa, brown sugar. Sterling.

Creme Brulee combines these flavors into a phenomenal concoction--smooth, dense, bold, embodying and defying contradictions all at once. In a sip, one gets vanliia, then sugary coffee, then a whiff of molasses, and some dark chocolate to boot.

I admit to being a huge fan of Southern Tier and therefore am a bit biased, but Creme Brulee blew me away. This was far better than I expected, and I grabbed it expecting it to be very good. So smooth, so rich, so complex, and so accessible.

Stunningly good, nay, great. I could drink this every day. To me, this vaults Southern Tier into my personal top five breweries in the US, hands down. A grand achievement.

4.99/5  rDev +27%

i have had a few thousand beers in my day but this one takes the cake as my second favorite beer of all time. if you don't like sweet beer or butterscotch this beer isn't for you. i am a stout guy by the way and i like sweet stouts but any sweeter then this one and its to much. founders big luscious for example is to sweet but this one is on the mark

4.99/5  rDev +27%

Been waiting for this to come out for months. I've been warned that it was too sweet but it's not. Smells wonderful, pours a beautiful dark color and tastes even better.

4.97/5  rDev +26.5%

Served on tap year round at a bar back home. Not overly sweet on taste in my opinion and the smell always makes me feel good. That's when I know I'm home. First beer I ever had at a bar, so maybe I'm a bit biased, but it will always be my favorite. Very thick and very dark, but doesn't have much of a head which is why I docked a bit on look. Alcohol doesn't overpower the variety of flavors which is impressive for a beer that is almost 10%. Maybe not for everyone, but definitely worth a try if you ever find it.

4.97/5  rDev +26.5%

A - Pours a silky black. Possibly some deep deep red tones in there as well. Has a very small very tight mocha colored head that diminishes to a 1-2mm ring.

S - The smell alone won me over. I am getting Butterscotch, caramel, coffee, and vanilla. This is perhaps one of the best smelling beers I have ever drank.

T - As good as it smells. It is sweet, but not too sweet. I am getting espresso, some caramel notes, a very slight roasted barley bite but it is mainly hiding in the backround, not letting this beer become cloyingly sweet. Alcohol is almost completely hiddin. I am very impressed.

M - A great mouthfeel. This beer glides over your tounge. Very silky texture. Carbonation is medium low.

O - A am so glad I decided to try this one out. I am not dissapointed. I am planning to go back and grab a few more bottles to cellar. One of the best sweet stouts I have ever had.

4.97/5  rDev +26.5%

Pours a pure black with no head just a tiny bit of white round the rim.

Smells exactly like creme brulee, quite amazing really.

The taste like the smell is creme brulee.It's amoust like a strong stout with liquidised desert in it. There's also a bit of alcohol in there but not too much considering the abv.

The mouth is creamy and medium to thick bodied with low carbonation.

All I can say is this is amazing, southern have made a beer that tastes exactly like creme brulee. If I was in a resteraunt with the wife this would finish it off nicely. I couldn't drink too much but a 22oz was perfect.

4.97/5  rDev +26.5%

This poured a very dark black with red highlights and a small amount of carbonation sticking to the sides of the glass. The half inch sized brown colored head lasted for about a minute.

WOAH! The aroma is incredibly rich and sweet. The sugary vanilla scent is very powerful. I would also describe it as butterscoth and caramel. Lots of melted sugary goodness.

The taste is more of the same; a blast of creme brulee/vanilla at first. The second stage is roasted and toasty. There is a nice hint of coffee. A 10% abv brew. I can't detect any alcohol. Just the warmth that it is sending to my brain. After maybe 10 sips i began to notice some light hop flavors.

The feel is smooth, creamy and thick. A very full bodied beer.
Incredibly drinkable. The malt and sweetness hides the high abv. A bomber is plenty though.

A dessert beer! If you wanted to be retarded you could have it with ice cream i suppose but there is so much going on here I wouldn't want to eat anything with it.

4.97/5  rDev +26.5%

Big thanks to wchesak for this bottle!!!

Popped that cap and went in for a smell... It brought a huge smile to my face. Huge smell of vanilla and bready sweetness. Like there is a donut shop inside the bottle!.

Pours a dark black. with some head forming.

The mouthfeel is so creamy and chewy.

The taste is just outstanding. Just like the nose. Vanilla, sugar, bready dough yumminess!!! Wish I had some dessert to go along with this.

By far one of my favorite beers I have ever had.

Living in san diego... this is going to be a constant want!

4.96/5  rDev +26.2%

This is a desert in a glass! This is almost too sweet, but glorious at the same time. Definitely a desert or after dinner drink, not something you will drink fast or plenty of. The pour is nice and dark, plenty of sweet aromas coming out of the glass. The taste is phenomenal! The sweetness and warmth of the alcohol go really well together. Not much more I can say about this beer other than the fact that they nailed it! Perfect for what it is.

4.95/5  rDev +26%

This beer pours an opaque black color. The head is small, tan, and recedes quickly into minimal lacing (but that is probably due to the vanilla). The aroma is very strong. Vanilla is everywhere, with cream, graham cracker, and hints of milk chocolate. The taste is as big as the aroma. The vanilla is a little tamer, but still prominent. There is more graham cracker, and milk chocolate. There is also the addition of a lingering roasted malt bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is full bodied with lively carbonation and a silky texture. Overall, this is one very fine beer. I can easily see myself enjoying this on a regular basis.

4.95/5  rDev +26%

On tap at Sierra

Pours dark as night with a great brown/mocha head. Aroma is dead on carmel vanilla, pretty much think I'm smelling creme brulee. Pallet is heavy but is the sweetest thing ive even had. Rich flavors present this as the desert beers of all desert beers.

As a side note I have had this from bottle many times already from Table & Vine northampton. It is a tad bit sweeter in bottle than on draft, but not overpowering. Poured it on some vanilla ice cream... amazing.

4.94/5  rDev +25.7%

Reviewed from notes. Tasted 9/4/08

This beer poured a dark coca cola colored body with small off-white head.

Nose. OH MY MOTHER FUCKING GOD!!! Creme Brulee. It smells like candy straight from a candy factory in heaven. Burnt sugar, caramel, candy, vanilla ice cream, vanilla milk shake, pure 100% from the finest french chef in the world creme brulee.

Taste is full bodied and along the exact same lines as the nose. Creamy caramel, milky vanilla ice cream, silky milk shake. Creme Brulee!!!! It tastes like liquid creme brulee. Holy shit. Absolutely no hint whatsoever of the 10% ABV. This is a dangerous beer. Little hints of chocolate, vanilla and other grains, but.... creme brulee. It tastes like liquid creme brulee, did I mention that?

Wow!!!. Southern Tier has raised the bar. I thought Choklat was the be all end of all, but this.... this is heaven in a bottle. Simply amazing.

4.94/5  rDev +25.7%

A- Like an oil slick! A one finger, coffee colored head that dissapears rather quickly before your eyes. Not much in the way of sticky lacing, but sensual non-the-less. A nice toffee ring forms around the glass, floating gently upon the black as night brew!

S- Vanilla, marshmallow, candy corn and a touch of deep dark chocolate and coffee. Beautiful notes of burnt brown sugar and cream. Smells like really good vanilla, not just extract that alot of brewer's use and call it vanilla.

T- Burnt cream, brown sugar, vanilla, toasted nuts, fresh cherry's, coffee and slight hints of cocoa. Indian corn, buttered popcorn, chocolate twizzlers and the best Boston Cream Doughnut you've ever eaten! This is reamarkable and brilliant! So creamy and rich! I'm not a big dessert guy, but I don't get why people always talk about not being able to drink a full bomber of this? I've had this fresh numerous times, and even with up to three yrs on it, and it always just absolutely floors me how insanely awesome this Stout is!

M- Creamy, oily, and delicious! I love the way it coats the tongue and leaves that wonderful sweetness! Huge vanilla notes, burnt sugar, toffee and caramel! It doesn't get much better than this!

O- For those of you that don't dig sweet Imperial Stouts... I understand. But please quit buying up this beautiful brew so that I can get your share! I only wish they would barrel age some of this fantastic brew! I know for a fact this one gets better with age as I've had it with a few years on it... but it is unreal fresh as well!!! Pour this over some Cherry or Strawberry ice cream for the best float you've ever had! I'm gonna get a couple bottles of this and get it flat, and make ice pops out of it!!!

4.93/5  rDev +25.4%

Poured from a Bomber (22 oz) into a tulip. Bottle has ridiculously philosophical description that made me chuckle a bit.

A: Black with a mocha head. The darker the better in my book, and this is black in any light.

S: Nose is amazing. Vanilla custard desserts and chocolate. Vanilla is probably my favorite flavor, and in no beer has it ever been more abundant in the nose or taste than this one.

T: Dark chocolate, coffee, and vanilla custard deliciousness. It would be perfect if it had been oaked a little, and if it weren't so sweet. That's the thing with this beer, the reason why a lot of people don't like it as much as I do (and it pretty much ruined all other beers for my girlfriend, she went bananas over it), it's too sweet. Now I have a huge sweet tooth, and this was overly sweet for me by a bit, so I can see why it gets an 87, but I LOVE THE VANILLA, so it's an A+ in my book.

M: Full bodied and quite smooth, nearly perfect.

O: Loads and loads of my favorite flavor on earth, vanilla, so of course I'm going to give it an A+. Overly sweet, yes, but still absolutely delicious.

22oz bottle
Served in a snifter

A - It pours very dark brown, almost black.

S - The aroma is amazing! I get vanilla and caramel. It smells like dessert.

T - This is one instance where the beer tastes exactly like the smell. I get vanilla and caramel as the dominant flavors. Some roasted malt gets through the sweetness. The alcohol is well hidden. I would never have guessed this to be a 10%er.

M - Leaning more towards thick. It has a nice creamy texture.

O - Delicious! This is probably the best dessert beer I have had. I had this on top last summer for the first time and fell in love. I don't think I'd pound it all night. But a couple of these guys really caps off a meal.

Poured into DFH snifter.

Disclaimer: I've never had creme brûlée, the food.

A: Motor oil black body, no light showing through this one. A khaki, pecan color head which dissipates to a ring with some soapiness in the middle pretty quickly. leaving little lacing.

S: Unique smell--I'm assuming creme brulee, which again I've never had! SO much vanilla, butterscotch, and caramel. It's a really awesome aroma that I've never gotten on a beer before.

T: Awesome! Dark chocolate bitterness/dark coffee when it hits the tip of the tongue, with that amazing vanilla ice cream flavor through the middle. All-around, it tastes like butter pecan ice cream. DAMN, this is good. On the finish, you get cafe au lait. Interestingly, there is a bit of an encore that includes vanilla extract and butterscotch (and in a strong way, not simply an afterthought).

M: Full body bringing out that cafe au lait character. Little carbonation.

AMAZING dessert beer. I think people who give this a low rating are probably biased against sweet beer.

UPDATE: As I'm continuing to sip it and as it's warmed, I'm getting some hazelnut, coconut, and pecan notes. The aroma is also really picking up the butterscotch and getting a little more boozy as it warms.

4.92/5  rDev +25.2%

First of all I gotta say wow this beer is amazing, I poured it into a tulip it pours a very dark brown almost black with a tan one finger head, nose I get tons of vanilla and custard up front, taste again a bunch of vanilla, custard, vanilla cake, and finishes with roasty notes, its got a pretty good and full mouth feel, overall this beer is amazing and totally hits the Creme Brulee right on the head

4.92/5  rDev +25.2%

Dark, dark ruby body. Very nearly black. Not much light gets through this one. Big, thick khaki colored head. Staying power is tremendous and the lace is quite full. Strong thick aromas of caramel and toffee and burnt cream. It's a one of a kind aroma that can be smelt from across the room. Just like the aroma, the flavor is big and bold. Huge caramel and nougat tones. Burnt cream and burnt coffee. Milk sugars and char contrast. Burnt caramel and toffee. Some vanilla and chocoalte as well. This is just a one of a kind flavor. I don't know how this brewery pulls this off with beers like this and Pumking to make them so unique. This might be a little too rich and too heavy for some, but not for me. For a 10% stout, the drinkability is ridiculous.

4.92/5  rDev +25.2%

A - Poured black that produced a brown, fluffy head that retained nicely and left a beautiful lacing around the glass

S - The smell was great, vanilla beans is arousing, and the smokey hints tease

T - The taste is divine, I can't imagine how it only gets a B+, but the vanilla, expresso, and creamly taste makes me drool

M - Creamy, light carbonation, and some body

D - I would highly recommend this wonderful beer, my first Southern Tier and I was blown away! However, this is more of a novelty beer, and thats how I am rating it. Not something I would kick back and enjoy a game to, but a delicious beer for special occasions, and that is how I like it

4.92/5  rDev +25.2%

Creme Brulee Imperial Milk Stout is an excellent dessert beer, NOT a session beer at all. I've only seen this available in large pint bottles and is a seasonal summer release brewed by the wonderfully creative folks at Southern Tier. Pours a dark brown with decent clarity and a negligible head. The smell/nose is INCREDIBLE! The second you pour this your slapped in the face with overwhelming aromas of real vanilla beans. A first sip confirms what you smell and the back notes are full of toffee, java, and roasted nuts. The [mouth] feel is very common of other milk stouts; creamy with an appropriate amount of carbonation. The only downfall to this is that it is overwhelming after a while(as any real creme brulee is). If you like vanilla and good coffee I highly recommend this, I also recommend that you split it with some friends as the ABV is around 10% and finishing a whole pint yourself will leave you feeling a little gluttonous.

4.9/5  rDev +24.7%

The intoxicating and inviting aromas of South Tier Creme Brulee Stout draw you in the second you pop the top. Tons of toffee, butterscotch, and milk in the nose and a gorgeous dark tan head floating on a sea of black. Sweet sugar with a little bit of char to go along with the butterscotch and warm milk and a very creamy texture. There’s also a hop bite at the back end to remind you it’s a beer. Never having had creme brulee (I know, how bourgeois of me) I can’t say how close it is to Creme Brulee in a bottle, but gosh is it tasty. Might be too sweet for some, but I think it’s delicious. The burnt flavor lingers more than anything, but it goes very well with the sweetness. Not even a hint of the whopping 9.6% ABV

4.9/5  rDev +24.7%

Wooow. No really wooow.

Look amazing with a black and red color. Along with a red color head.

Smell is strong with carmel and cream

Taste- CREAM. Creme brulee. It tastes amazing

Feel. Smooth smooth

Overall this is the best beer I have had this year. Instantly to my top 10 list. Love it.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company