Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

Added by ph2001 on 07-12-2008

Reviews: 1,431 | Ratings: 4,487
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was surprised how boozy this one was.. had it a bit cold at first and didnt taste the sweetness at all.. let it warm up for a while, then it changed and became a better beer. Not quite creme brulee and not dessert like. The smell was really sweet however, like Creme Brulee. Has a sort of harsh and bitter finish that lingers on your palate which I didn't expect. Not the best, not the worst. Give it a B/B-. If I want dessert beer, I will stick with Chocolate Rain!!

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This pours black but with a reddish or mahogany hue around the edges when held up to the light. It has a fat cream head of mocha colored foam that fell slowly to a cap and ring and drippy lace. Refreshed with each turn of the glass.

Nose reminds me at first of vanilla cake batter int he mixing bowl. Strong scent of vanilla. There is some sweet and creamy chocolate but not that much. Then there's a little coffee. As it warms the nose continues to change subtly. It smells like creme brulee, then like coffee liquer and finally like those maple sugar candies. really sweet. The vanilla is bitter and reminds one of booze but there's no actual alcohol on the nose.

Taste is rich. Burnt sugar, caramel, molasses, and toffee. Just and endless malt. Strong, bitter vanilla, a touch of chocolate and light coffee, the burnt sugar and buttery cream. There is a touch of hop bitter at the back as well and it finishes pretty bitter. The maple sugar taste is heavy toward the end of the drink. There's some alcohol on the palate and it warms gently on the way down.

This is definitely a desert beer. It's velvety and smooth but it has a hard edge to it from the strong vanilla and the alcohol. It's creamy and tastes a lot like cream. As it warmed the malt became nutty and toasted on the nose. I can't say I would buy this again. It was hard to finish the small pour I had but it seemed to grow on me. Tasted like a liquer and not really like a beer.

3.61/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Smell is overwhelmingly sweet - butterscotch, caramel, and a hint of chocolate.

Taste is as sweet as it smells - toffee, hazelnut, cream soda, lactose, and Werther's candy.

I like the smell much better than the taste - it's difficult to drink 22 oz of a beer this sweet.

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From a 650 ml bottle (dated December 30, 2015) to a snifter. Reviewed from notes dated April 9, 2016.

A-A normal pour produces a fat finger of dense, mocha head. The head drops to a thick cap that hangs around above a nearly black, opaque liquid. No carbonation is visible.

S-The aroma is hugely sweet with massive amounts of vanilla. The vanilla is almost overpowering. Underneath the vanilla I sniff some milky mocha-java, caramel, brown sugar, and a nuttiness that suggests pralines. Really sweet....

T-The taste is also hugely sweet and almost cloying with the vanilla flavor. There is a bit of lactose sweetness, but I mainly taste butter caramel and brown sugar. I guess this is what I should expect for a beer named after a dessert famous for having burnt sugar on top. Oddly, however, there is a little punch of hoppy bitterness on the mid-palate. Seems out of place here.

M-The body is soft and somewhat chewy. It is on the heavy side, which amplifies the sweetness.

O-I have been warned about the sweetness in this beer, but I still had to check it out for myself. Even as a dessert beer, the vanilla is too much for me to want to drink more than just a sip. Maybe over ice cream would be the ticket?

3.6/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A- a thin layer of foam. No retention and minimal lacing

S- very sweet. Smells like dessert. no booze present and can smell the milkiness

T- tastes like dessert as well. Very slight hotness, and slightly dank aftertaste. The more I drink, the less I like it.

M- creamy yet light, pretty smooth

O- The smell is intoxicating. The first sip is delicious, it's just too much dessert in a glass.

3.6/5  rDev -8.4%

I was served this in a snifter without being told what it was. My first reaction was confusion - it looks like beer: dark like stout with a nice, slightly off-white head. But the aroma caused me to think it was a godiva-liqueur like cocktail. Truely, this smells like creme brulee! And since that's what they were going for, kudos to them. My nose was owned by the vanilla, caramel, and burnt sugar aromas. Flavorwise - right on track. Vanilla, caramel, burnt sugar - suitable sweetness for a beer named after a luscious dessert.

It got of track though on the back of my tongue with a residual bitterness, combination of burnt sugar and hop bitterness, that I didn't like in combination with the sweetness. It really has the bitterness of an American stout and I think that creates conflict with the 'creme brulee' aspect. I think a richer, smoother European stout with the vanilla and caramel notes (maybe even subdued a little) would be completely sublime.

3.6/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured the bomber into my Short's Imperial pint glass.

A: Black with a hint of light brown. Poured almost two fingers of frothy, milk chocolate brown head, that retained well, but left little lace.

A: Wow this one's sweet. Vanilla, chocolate, butterscotch, and marshmellow. Caramel malts, and some very subtle earthy hops, and I stress very little.

T: Sugary sweet. The vanilla and butterscotch are over the top. This is for sure a dessert beer. A little espresso flavor finishes it off.

M&D: Little carbonation and a full body, make for a viscous brew. Drinkability is very limited due to the sweetness, number one, but the ABV at 10% doesn't help. Overall, good for an after dinner drink, but way too sweet for my taste. But still a very interesting brew. Skal.

3.6/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured this into a tulip. The pour is dark black with about a fingers worth of opaque white head. This one looks thick and rich! This smells inviting. It just smells like caramel. Super rich caramel. Not much else to the nose but this smells like a dessert. This is a dessert beer. The taste is sweet caramel and not much else to it. I feel like I'm drinking a glass of caramel, after a few sips this will be a bit much. I also wish there was a little more to this. The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy but I expected that so it's not really offensive. It drinks nicely and I'll enjoy sipping on this for a while.

3.6/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured at a big group tasting, interesting concept.

Aroma is butterscotch and candy, very sweet smell with vanilla and a little bit o spice.

Flavor is initally all butterscotch, smooths out to a kinda creme brule flavor, flavors are way over the top.

kinda gimmicky and I wouldnt want more than my 4 oz's but all in all it is what it says it is and is well made.

3.6/5  rDev -8.4%

Bomber split with my finacee. Poured into a goblet.

A - Pours pitch black with very litte/no head.
S - Smells like candy. Vanilla and caramel are all that I could smell. It smells great, but certainly not like any beer I've ever had.
T - At first it taste like a typical stout, with lots of malt and a hint of hops. The vanilla and caramel take over almost immediately though and dominate through the finish. There's some heat from the alcohol at the end.
M - It's thick and creamy and very smooth.
D - Low. The sweetness is almost overpowering at times and the alcohol content makes it a sipper.

This is a unique beer to say the least and I thought it was good. I'm not sure I'd get it again for a while, but I was very glad to try it.

3.59/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Southern Tier's Creme Brulee last month for $8.99 at The Lager Mill. I'm pretty sure I tried this beer a long time ago and I don't remember anything about it, so when I saw it on the shelf I thought I should pick it up and give it a proper review, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it's not that eye catching, but it has lots of great information on it and I think that's a nice touch. It poured a very dark brown color that was on the border of being black that didn't really let any light come through and it had three fingers worth of creamy tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left tons of lacing behind. This is a very nice looking beer the color was nice and the head and lacing were really good.

S- The aroma starts off with a ton of sweetness followed by some nice chocolate aromas that are quickly overpowered by lots of caramel, butterscotch, vanilla, and maple syrup like aromas that pretty much dominant the aroma of this beer. As soon as I cracked the cap of the bottle I could smell it and I'm pretty sure if someone blindly smelled it there would be no way that they could tell that it's actually a beer. The aroma was pretty good, it wasn't very beer like but I found it to be pretty enjoyable.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a huge amount of sweetness followed by some slightly bitter dark chocolate flavors that give way to tons of vanilla, butterscotch, and caramel flavors that seem dominant this beer and they really don't let any other flavors come through. Up next comes a somewhat lighter amount of alcohol that is only slightly warming. On the finish comes some more sweetness with a lighter amount of bitterness and very caramel, vanilla, and butterscotch like aftertaste that seems to stick around a little bit. This was a nice tasting beer, the flavors were pretty much as advertised but I thought the sweetness was out of hand.

M- Fairly smooth, sticky, cloying, creamy, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was decent but I thought it was too cloying and sticky.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer. it's for sure not a great example of an Imperial Stout, but as a dessert beer I think it's a pretty good example of the style, the flavor was exactly as advertised. This beer had pretty bad drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little filling and the flavors did a decent job at holing my attention, but the sweetness was so high that there's no way that I could every drink a full bomber of it, half the bottle was a bit of a struggle and I think that splitting a bottle between four or five people would be good. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both pretty good and worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the sweetness, it was just way too high and it's up there as one of the sweeter beers I have had and that really hurt the drinkability. I wouldn't by this beer again, maybe if I was going to a tasting and I thought some people would like, but other than that I won't be buying another bottle anytime soon and I don't think age would improve this beer. I would recommend this to anyone who likes sweet dessert beers. All in all I liked this beer a lot at first, but the more I drank it the more it wore on me, the flavors were nice, but I wish more of that stout base come through and that the sweetness was really toned down, I felt like i may need an insulin shot after i drank half of the bomber. I appreciate the effort it took to make this beer, but in the end it just didn't come together as good as it could have, better luck next time guys.

3.59/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours a deep and opaque black, although some reddish highlights are in the corners, very thick light tan head forms, slowly settles down to a thick ring and thin layer, lace streaks on the glass, looks good. Smell is great, very rich, butterscotch, big vanilla, caramel corn, raisin, more toffee, cream, lactose sweetness, very malty, a hint of roast but basically big vanilla and caramel notes. Taste is similar, milk chocolate, hazelnut, vanilla, caramel and butterscotch, more vanilla, more caramel, just insanely rich, like dessert. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low to medium carbonation, alcohol is hidden very well. I love this beer, never really experienced the caramelized and vanilla flavours as rich as this in any other beer

3.59/5  rDev -8.7%

22oz bomber into a snifter of sorts. Bottle dated 07/14/11. Pours a pitch black. Minimal head and no lacing.

The smell is really something--vanilla, custard, jello vanilla pudding, cream filled donuts. All very strong and in your face.

Taste is more of the same and then some. Char, burnt sugar, burnt malt, vanilla custard, caramel, burnt liquor, with a touch of driveway sealer.

Mouthfeel is sticky yet smooth with some long-lingering heat from the alcohol.

Overall, this was overwhelming. Recommend sharing a bomber with a minimum of 4 people. I will give it some credit as the taste of this beer was true to its name and as advertised.

3.58/5  rDev -8.9%

After trying the bottle about a week ago I took the no-tap variation to see if I could find much difference.. I found Mokah to be a bit less-enjoyable on tap and my creme brulee experience suffered the same fate.. Whereas the bottle begins with a flavor and aroma which are so robust and sweet that it may excite and entice at first then becomes a bit cloying and artificial, on-tap I immediately found these unpleasant qualities. There is a chalky quality to the taste which contrasts the sweetness but doesn't add any enjoyment to the drink. Drinkability suffers from these unpleasantries in the flavor and aroma. Overall, though, I'm willing to grant it 3.5's instead of below-average numbers because its certainly a better option thana lot of things and if you're in the mood for something very strong or generally enjoy sweetness it may be quite enjoyable. Like other ST stout offerings I'm finding the sort of artificial quality to the flavor shows through more on-tap. Its fun to try but I wouldn't want to drink a full pint's worth.

3.58/5  rDev -8.9%

22oz bomber. purchased at least 6 months ago. cellared ever since. poured into tulip.

dark and opaque. good foamy head that fades to thin layer. somewhat sparse lacing.

smells of vanilla from the pour onwards, with notes of sweet cream. hint of chocolate and coffee CANDY.

flavor is cold, heavily-sweetened coffee, plus lots of vanilla again, but quite fresh. sweet, sweet, SWEET. balanced somewhat by a coffee-like bitterness, with hint of grassy hop. slight alcohol note brings in reminiscences of kahlua.

feel is quite smooth and lightly syrupy. moderate carbonation gives some lift to the heaviness.

ok, ok, it's not as bad as some people say. i'm probably not seeking it out again, but it may work for people unconvinced about dessert beers. the sweetness is cloying, and must be matched up with something like a raspberry and champagne white cake with buttercreme frosting, which is what i did.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

22 oz bomber poured into a pint glass. At 8.99, I had high expectations.

Pours dark black with light brown foam. Starts and then vanishes.

Strong creamy vanilla smell. Sweet caramel. Will this really be a beer or a desert.

Creamy vanilla taste. Buried bittering hop. Coffee background. Oddly sweet. Gets sweeter.

Like drinking a beer custard - the last 10 ounces were a real battle. Very filling. Tasty, but way too sweet for me.

3.57/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours a very thick black with no discernible head other than a snotty looking ring of bubbles on the top. No lacing or legs to make a note of which is disappointing for a beer this thick.

Smell is strong vanilla, some coffee and some breadiness which comes across all together as being similar to a sugar cookie,

Taste is similar to the smell for the first half of the bottle but the second half is a lot more coffee. The bottle was kept cold between pours so I don't think it was because of warming, I think the initial sweetness just kind of adjusts to show the true flavors of the beer. The second half wasn't bad, just not what I want from a beer called Creme Brulee.

Thick body and lower carbonation, just how I like my stouts. There was a considerable amount of heat in the swallow but again it was hidden by the sweetness at the beginning of the bottle.

If this were a 12oz bottle I would buy more, as it is there is a bottle in my cellar I am not looking forward to.

3.57/5  rDev -9.2%

Bomber poured into a chalice.

A - Poured very dark brown, with a thin head that quickly subsided to a thin ring around. No lacing.

S - Vanilla (What did you expect?), butterscotch and a hint of alcohol.

T - Vanilla, then roasted coffee, with a very slightly bitter finish. Has a slight alcohol heat in finish also. Sweet.

M - Smooth. Medium carbonation.

D - Are you kidding? With the sweet, and the alcohol, one's the limit.

I can't ID the issue I have with the taste, it just doesn't do it for me, mostly because of the sweetness.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bomber poured into a tulip. 2011 bottling tasted in January 2015. Aggressive pour delivers a lackluster, almost nonexistent head consisting of a handful of big bubbles around the outer edge of the glass. Dark, essentially jet black body with minimal, splotchy lacing.

Aroma is, unsurprisingly, more than a little reminiscent of crème brûlée. A ton of vanilla and heavily caramelized sugar. Lots of lactic sugars, but not as overpoweringly sweet as other reviews would suggest (perhaps this has mellowed with age?). Light touch of sour milk and all the flavors typically present in big stouts; coffee, bittersweet chocolate, and a ton of roast are all noticeable.

Flavor is more subtle than the nose would suggest. Definitely leans to the sweet side, but thick bitter roasted malts balance it out pretty well. Heavy cream, rich vanilla, and burnt sugar. Surprisingly lightly astringent.

Full-bodied with moderate levels of carbonation. Thick mouthfeel. The amount of sweetness makes it a little chewy, but not overwhelmingly so. Dry, slightly bitter finish.

Overall, there's a lot going on with this beer and I'm not totally sure how I feel about it. It's not as cloying as I was expecting and is actually fairly well-balanced. It's been years since I've tasted this fresh, so perhaps the age helps tone it down some. Either way, a unique beer worth a shot, even if not one of my favorites.

3.57/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into my snifter.

Upon just cracking the bottle, butterscotch is pouring everywhere. After pouring still all I can smell is butterscotch.

A: Pours a deep black, consistency of skim milk. Nearly no head. Minimal lacing.

S: Aroma, still all butterscotch. Small hint of chocolate. This is going to be sweet

T: Taste begins with butterscotch, and some mocha. Finish has a welcomed taste of alcohol

M: One of the creamier beers I've had yet - thinner but similar to a Baileys.

D: A bit disappointed by this, and certainly something I wouldn't drink more than one of. Yet, very smooth - too overly sweet for me. Would work well as a Desert beer, and could gain fans of non beer-geeks. Optimal serving would be 8 oz.

3.57/5  rDev -9.2%

Picked up a bottle of this Southern Tier at Dennis Brothers in Cottage Grove, MN, at a time when I hadn't seen this anyplace else yet. Great store.

This beer is black. This beer smells like vanilla extract spilled in your mustache.

Taste is 80% vanilla, with that milky undercurrent of a milk stout that seems so strange in a beer. My wife insists there's some caramel. I can't see, or taste, it.

Unusually creamy for a beer, understandable given its roots in a confectory. I could not, however, drink more than one & am glad I could split this bottle. This creation gets points for originality if nothing else; doesn't taste like anything I've tried before.

3.56/5  rDev -9.4%

a: nice dark color black. Think looking on a swirl. minimal white/cream head with a very small amount of lacing. considering the color, the head is quite weak.

s: wowza! Vanilla bean, custard, sweet egg/milk scents slip from the rim. dark rich malts and the small hint of booze is present. smells super sweet. I can't even emphasize how sweet this really is on the nose.

t: follows the nose very well. tastes just like the flavors of creme brulee: Custard, milk, egg, nutmeg, and strong strong presence of vanilla on this. this is delicious. there is enough of a booze profile here to remind you this certainly is a beer...but the framework is quite nice. i'd imagine this would work even better with a drop to the ABV, though.

m: slick, thin. this is weak in the mouth, but necessarily so. If this was any thicker, I wouldn't be able to take it down with the strong sweetness. The thin body works for it given the flavor and when you'd want to drink this beer. As this warms, the flavors in this really get all mixed up and muddled. Too much heat with the sweetness and it doesn't work well together.

o: this really truly is the definition of a dessert beer/sweet stout. The flavors are tremendous, the booziness brings you back to the fact it is alcohol and not really dessert. It's quite good, but the sweetness would get to you after a while. considering the name, there is no misleading marketing here...this is creme brulee with alcohol. Hard to drink a lot of this...as it warms the alcohol really comes through and crosses up with the flavors quite a bit.

3.56/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pitch black with a thick tan colored head. Good lacing down snifter glass.

S: There is a very sweet smelling vanilla and butterscotch aroma coming off of the beer. Overpowers everything. There is a slight coffee aroma in there also.

T: Almost more of the same, the vanilla, butterscotch taste is very, very strong. There are coffee flavors and a slight bitterness that I'm guessing is from the roasted malt. Not bad.

M: Heavier mouth feel. Dry and bitter finish.

O: It's different. Very strong vanilla and butterscotch aroma and flavors.

3.55/5  rDev -9.7%

Crème Brulee Stout's a very dark brown, nearly onyx color. It's not quite opaque. There's a few ruby highlights around the edges, but not many. Sitting atop is a light mocha tan head that's a couple fingers deep. It procrastinates more than I expected in dissipating. It puts up a hearty fight against the 10% abv. Lacing was sticky and on the lighter side.

Given the fact that I could smell this beer as soon as the cap was cracked, there's no question about its strength. It's extremely aromatic. A short whiff reveals a wealth of vanilla bean and sweet caramel. It smells incredibly sweet and certainly nailed that "Crème Brulee" thing. Smell like a dessert? You bet your ass. Sweet chocolate is very prominent. There's a light coffee aroma that's a welcome surprise. The nose is no doubt impressive, but personally, it smells way too sweet. Very novel smelling beer though. No doubt about it.

Crème Brulee is one sweet beer. I don't mean that necessarily in a good way. It is very reminiscent of a dessert. Vanilla bean and caramel are the dominant flavors throughout. Did I mention how incredibly sweet this beer is? Chocolate malts add more sweetness and a pretty good malty flavor to it. I'm picking up a hint of coffee. That's a pretty nice touch, but would be better if it were more pronounced. There's definitely a hop presence that I didn't pick up on the nose. They add a bitter flavor and balance it (a little). Alcohol is very well masked and is barely noticeable. Pretty impressive for 10% abv. It finishes a little bitter, sweet, and a tad dry. It's not bad. Easily above average. But, it's just too sweet to be any better than that.

It features a body that's on the lighter side of medium. It's way too thin. Big badass stouts need big badass bodies. This one doesn't have it. Somehow it's still relatively smooth. Very light carbonation helps it a great deal, but it really needs to be more substantial. Drinkability's pretty average. It's way too sweet and too strong. A bomber of this stuff is too much. It's a flat out struggle to get it all down. My wife happens to like this beer. Where is she dammit?

Crème Brulee Stout's probably my least favorite of Southern Tier's Black Water Series. It's not a bad beer, but is best served in (very) concentrated amounts. It's extremely sweet and dessert-like. The flavor's pretty good the first few sips, but it grows very tiring very quickly. I don't feel quite as strongly about as some do. I definitely don't love it, but I don't hate it either. I definitely feel that it's a novelty that's worth experiencing, even if only once. Hey, if you're available, I still have a little bit of a bomber that I'd love to share.

3.55/5  rDev -9.7%

Pours a large light tan head with good retention and some lacing. Very dark brown nearly black colored beer. The aroma is very very sweet. Vanilla ice cream in a waffle cone... yep that's what it smells like. Tastes of burnt cream, vanilla, light nuttiness, and very sweet sugary caramel. Also some light bitterness from the hops. The mouth feel is thick and creamy with a lingering chard/sweet flavor. This is a very very sweet beer that would be difficult to drink a lot of. A good suggestion was beer floats. I might have to finish this bottle with some ice cream.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company