Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series)Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

Added by ph2001 on 07-12-2008

Ratings: 4,590 |  Reviews: 1,465
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: Poured a deep pitch-black color stout with a medium light brown foamy head with good retention and minimal lacing. Aroma is totally dominated by vanilla and some weird crème brulé-like syrup. Taste is also dominated by the vanilla and whatever syrup they've used and little else is discernable. Full body but could have been creamier with good carbonation and no discernable alcohol. Interesting experiment but a bit over the top and not sure I would want to drink a full bottle by myself.

3.67/5  rDev -6.6%

From the moment the bottle is opened the room fills with vanilla. And it sticks around. Once poured into my goblet the vanilla can be appreciated along with the malt and a lot of alcohol. I don't usually chill my stouts very much, but this one recommends a 42 degrees serving temperature so I will oblige. The head is tan and short lived, winding down to a bubbly ring of lace.

Taste is all vanilla and alcohol at the coldest first sip. Kind of disappointed. And the slight bitterness of the aftertaste is kind of counter-productive to the sweet sugars and vanilla. Going to let this one warm a bit. Average mouthfeel for a cream stout.

Warming helped quit a bit. Don't know why they would recommend such a cold temp for a stout. Never again, souther tier. Never again.

The alcohol has slipped behind the vanilla after a good 15-20 minutes of sitting in my glass with periodic sips. Still not to drinkable.

Might try aging one of these until the winter months to use as a sweet winter warmer.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.67/5  rDev -6.6%

Finally showing up at stores in my area.

Minimal (1/4 inch or so) creamy tan "head". The dominate aroma is vanilla. There is spice and burnt sugar. For me, this tastes like it smells. Overly dominated by vanilla. It is far to sweet. The flavor is good....hints of coffee...bit of chocolate malt. But the vanilla and sweetness got to be to much. This from a person that loves creme brulee..loves stout...loves creme brulee with stout. ;-).

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy.

Drinkability suffers due to the sweetness. A dessert beer of course. It really needs a pairing to cut the sweetness.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it ages. I'm hoping the vanilla fades just a bit.

3.67/5  rDev -6.6%

I have been dying to try this stuff. I love sweets and the thought of a creme brulee beer is very enticing.

I pull this straight outta the fridge and pop the top. First smell is of sweet vanilla and boozy kahlua. Smells yummy but the alcohol is present. Thoughts of sambuca, jagermeister shoot through my cranium.

Pour into a snifter reveals a dark brown potion of respectable viscosity. High altitude glugs produce a shockingly feeble head. No retention, either.

A hefty whiff of the glass and the vanilla and sugar take center stage. I still smell that Jag and Kahlua.

Chocolate, malt, french vanilla coffee. Like the rich syrup in the centers of dark chocolate candies. Vanilla but pretty well balanced. The back end is more chocolaty. Its very sweet.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly spritzy. Good carbonation to complement the thickness and molasses qualities.

I like this stuff but the booziness is a little much for me. The sweetness is very nice, but it may affect the drinkability.

3.67/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a dark black brown, not the darkest stout I have seen, with a thin caramel brown head. A lot going on in the aroma department, lots of sweet caramel smells; toffee, butterscotch, some nuttiness, and subtle vanilla cream comes through in the end. Tastes just as it smells, a whole lot of carmel maillards. It really socked my taste buds with toffee and butterscotch at first, then a creaminess settles in that finishes with a slight bitterness that lingers on the tongue. After my palate recalibrated itself to the initial intensity of the caramel flavors did the vanilla come through. The mouthfeel is what I might describe as molasses, it really coats the mouth, I can still feel the sugars on my lips as I write this review. It is good, and clears the mouth relatively well for such sweetness, but it is a lot to take in. I shared a bottle of this with my wife for dessert, definitely glad I did not have this one to myself. I really recommend trying this one out, it is a very interesting beer, but I may just leave it at that.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.67/5  rDev -6.6%

On tap at Frisco's in Columbia the other day.

The beer pours a very dark brown color with good head retention and lacing. The nose on this beer is it's best feature by far, consisting of an exotic smorgasbord of vanilla, caramel toffee, chocolate, cherry and coffee. The beer smells as if it will be pretty sweet, and it certainly is. The flavors on the palate generally replicate the nose, though the sweet vanilla and toffee flavors tend to overwhelm everything else. The beer is a bit heavy and tiring on the palate, and as it sits in the glass, the alcohol becomes more and more apparent. Towards the end the beer becomes cloyingly sweet, hot from the alcohol and very, very tiring. Drinkability is not one of this beers better features, and frankly I could barely finish my 10 ounce goblet.

This is an interesting beer, but the combination of sweet vanilla/toffee flavor, coupled with the noticeable alcohol, make this one beer I'm unlikely to order again any time again soon.

3.67/5  rDev -6.6%

I had the this in the bottle about 6 months ago, had it on tap tonight at Sierra Grille. Pours very dark brown, not quite pitch black, with a decent beige head, forms a ring on the edge of the glass leaving good lacing. Smell is absolutely insane, smells like melted white chocolate/caramel. Taste is insane as well, TONS of vanilla bean, caramel, chocolate, alcohol. Even though the taste is good I will say it's very over the top, it kind of crosses the line between beer and milkshake. I loved many other Southern Tier big beers (Choklat, Mokah, Pumking) but this is a little too sweet for me. Taste is very dessert like but definitely a sipper. A 12 oz glass was enough for me, I'm not sure how I finished the bomber back in the day. If you have liked the other Southern Tier stout bombers give it a go, but this is probably my least favorite out of them.

3.67/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter, very dark, barely any head that went away fairly quick.

Smells really really good! Like the soft caramel candies. A little hint of alcohol in there as well.

Tastes just like it smells. Reminds me of a much more potent version of Saranacs Caramel Porter.

Mouthfeel is pretty light, not creamy like I expected ,and wanted, it to be.

Not sure if I would want to drink much more than this bomber, I would prefer it as a 12 oz. I can't say it would be my first pick if other stouts are availaible.

Overall it's nothing I would hunt down, but nothing I would turn down either. Solid brew from a solid brewery.

3.67/5  rDev -6.6%

A-poured smooth and kinda thick with little head, plenty of lacing, very black with nice tan head

S-smells pretty good, vanilla, butter pecan ice cream

T-typical stout but with a nice sweetness that has a bit of spice at the end, butter pecan flavor is present

M-silky and a little thick, little to no carbonation

D-at 10% alcohol its very well balanced, its a very rich beer that I couldn't see myself having a second

On Draft at my new favorite beer bar, The Coffee District in Delray Beach, FL

A- Dark black body no light penetration and a creamy off-tan head. head stays through the glass while thinning to the rim of bubbles w/ some in the center, served cold in a cigar city snifter.

S- BUTTERYY, mmm with the alcohol smell it smell of a sweet butterscotch. slight malty smell to back the candy like smell.

T- Creamy buttery and caramalized flavors with strong alcohol mid sip. sweetness from start to finish with not much bitterness only some roasty flavors to balance. dry alcohol finish with 9.8% ABV with some sweet, but not overbearing.

M- Creamy medium body mouthfeel although dryness from alcohol makes it a thinner medium. dry from midsip and finish which is nice since it keeps the beer drinkable.

O- This is a dessert beer dream, very sweet so i don't think it would be more than a glass unless its really your thing (also due to high alcohol). Butterscotch flavors and high alcohol content also make it reminiscent of a liquor so this also docks its drinkablity for me. had a nice lambic type ale after and it was a good beer set for the night. an enjoyable draft treat.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer poured a deep dark black with about one finger of light tan creamy head. Minimal head retention but a little lacing all the same. The aroma is sweet and strongly vanilla. For me it's almost too sweet. The taste closely matches the aroma and I was wishing for more stout and less vanilla. The vanilla is almost too much and overpowers the subtle milk stout. It has a nice feeling in the palate from the lactose. Overall it's just a little too sweet for my taste and I wish the bottle notes had more prominently highlighted that this was strictly a dessert beer.

3.67/5  rDev -6.6%

A - poured black with a creamy 1/2" tan head that diminished to nearly nothing in a few minutes, agitation allowed for a reformed cap

S - delicious! Sweet creme brulee crossed with dark chocolate and espresso! Vanilla too? Nice. A touch of fruitiness and yeast is present as well. So far so good!

T - very sweet at first, maltiness then sweeps across the palate, followed by coffee and syrup, bittersweet finish with hardly any hoppiness at all. Some notes of biscuits but the vanilla/malt/caramel sweetness was nearly overpowering. Alcohol is present throughout. This is where it starts to go down...

M - thick and heavy with moderate carbonation, chewy and syrupy

D - decent for a 10% brew but the thickness and sweetness only lets me do one of these in an evening

Overall - not a bad beer to try for kicks but nothing spectacular. Way too sweet and sticky. Something new to try for the record books. Perhaps it would benefit from aging?

3.67/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bomber, bottled 6/11/2013. Served in a snifter

Appearance: Pours black with 2 fingers of a tan head. Body is opaque.

Smell: Incredibly strong aromas of caramel and vanilla are the main components here. Underneath those are some dark chocolate and a hint of roasted malt, but you really have to reach to find them. This doesn't smell like a beer. It smells like an incredibly sweet dessert.

Taste: Intense syrupy sweetness right upfront, which carries through the finish. Huge vanilla notes along with caramel, and burnt sugar. There's a light roastiness in the finish which helps balance the sweetness a bit, but it's still very unbalanced overall.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with a thick syrupy mouthfeel. Carbonation is medium and helps move things along, but this is still cloyingly sweet.

Overall: Well for starters I think I may have diabetes now. Putting that aside though, my opinion on this one is tough to describe. The flavors on this are pretty nice and it really does taste close to liquid creme brulee. However, the sweetness becomes cloying very quickly and drinkability is extremely low. It'd be nice to have in a 4-5oz serving, but anything beyond that is too much. This has no business being sold in a 22oz bottle.

3.68/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured thick black with a huge khaki head and tons of lacing. smelled of vanilla, caramel, dark chocolate and roasted coffee( maybe). taste was vanilla, bitter dark chocolate and heat from alochol. mouthfeel was thick and bubbly from carbonation. overall i thick some time in the cellar will do this some good. my throat burned from too much sugars and booze.

3.68/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 6/11/13

Pours dark brown, one finger head. Remains afloat for sometime.

Holy vanilla and burnt sugar! He nose really hits what's its label says. Strength if the vanilla is unlike any aroma I've ever I've had in a beer.

Taste is big rush of vanilla with caramel mixed in. Sweet cream starts to blend with the vanilla. A little alcohol bite in there too but this is liquid dessert.

Feel is smooth and very creamy. Carb is on the lower side but it's what's needed with the profile.

I saw that this was going to be sweet but I wasn't prepared for the prominence of vanilla. They really hit the mark on what they were trying to accomplish, but it's definitely a novelty type beer that I probably won't go for again. With all the candy and chocolate his Easter morning, I was compelled to finally open this and satisfy my curiosity.

3.68/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

The smell lives up to the name sake 100 fold, the smell of butterscotch punches you in the face, it is so pungent that it overwhelms you it smells like desert, you get hints of chocolate and vanilla but that is masked by the overwhelming sweetness of the smell. The pour is solid black but the froth and the head lack, the beer needs carbonation. The taste fails to deliver on the smell, it lacks viscosity and for a beer at 9.6 abv it does not have the mouthfeel you would desire. The finish is poor leaving you with a chalking and uncomfortable aftermath of "blah".

3.68/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.69/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed from notes. The appearance was a pour that is a dark brown close to black color with a one finger off white foamy head in the snifter and a one and a half finger white foamy head. No lacing in the snifter but some sticky white sporadic lacing in the pint glass. The smell. well Southern Tier did what they’re supposed to and that’s put crème brule in the smell (I get it, its there), however, there’s also an ample amount of caramel and chocolate coming through as well. The taste was well sticky sweet all around through the crème brule flavoring and still bringing back the caramel and chocolate, sweet sticky caramel/crème brule aftertaste leaving a dry and somewhat chocolatey finish. On the palate, it sat at/about a decent sipping aspect to it, carbonation seems good for a Milk/Sweet Stout.

3.69/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours black with a small tan head that quickly settles to a very thin cap. Just spotty lacing is left on the glass. I smell vanilla extract, caramel, and a little alcohol. Taste is very sweet. Like drinking liquid butterscotch. Alcohol warming on the finish. Nothing is there to clean the palate so it has a cloying sweet aftertaste. Medium body with moderate carbonation. Bit of a sticky consistancy from the sweetness. Not the easiest beer to drink. Very sweet and cloying and with an ABV up at 10%. Best shared with several people then horded to oneself. I will finish this bottle and that will satisfy me of this beer for quite some time.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.69/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22 bottle poured into a snifter

Pours a dark brown almost black color, lighter color head that fizzed and went away fairly quick. Not much lacing as my glass goes down. Damn the nose on this beer is ridiculous. It smells like I could get a cavity from drinking it, huge butterscotch scents, tons of sugar, very intimidating. The taste doesn't follow the scent as much I thought it would, I'm getting more coffee, roasted malts, little sugar. It's almost like putting some butterscotch creamer in your coffee with a couple sweet-n-lows. This ones not for me, it was fun to try but I won't be back.

Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series) from Southern Tier Brewing Company