Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States | website

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

Added by ph2001 on 07-12-2008

Reviews: 1,428 | Ratings: 4,472
1.78/5  rDev -54.7%

A: Extremely dark brown, near black, with very little head. Some lacing.

S: Like vanilla extract and butterscotch.

T: Like flavor concentrates: butterscotch, vanilla, and maybe some of that chocolate cheesecake flavor from Nature's Flavors that I ruined more than one dessert with. Everything over the top, much too intense. Like trying to drink an overly-flavored dessert made by a very heavy-handed chef. The butterscotch, above all, stood out - and that's a flavor I really detest. This didn't seem to be a diacetyl-induced butterscotch, but something added - from a bottle - in the secondary. (I know that's not what they did; it says on the bottle they used real vanilla beans, for one - but it tastes like flavor extracts.) Aftertaste is of saccharin.

M: Sort of slippery. Coats the tongue and will not let it go. Almost puckers the tongue with the intensity of the flavors.

D: I could not finish it. The sink, I'm afraid, got part of it. I would have gladly given it to someone who could appreciate it properly if they'd been there.

I am definitely not part of the target market for this beer. First off, I should have read on the label the part about it being a milk stout. Oops. No wonder it upset my stomach. I can't have any milk product that hasn't been turned into hard cheese or yogurt without my innards complaining. Second, I had a big sweet tooth about 15 years ago; I would even have dessert with lunch sometimes. These days, however, given the option of a sugary dessert or an IPA, I'll pick the IPA every time. It just doesn't occur to me to eat sweets.

Southern Tier has been one of my favorite regional brewing companies. For now I'll stick to their IPA and Phin and Matt's, and hope their next big beer is more to my liking.

1.79/5  rDev -54.5%

Thanks Dan, for the opportunity to try something new, something I would definitely not want a whole bottle of for myself. Pours an intriguing dark brown/black color, with the bare minimum of tan head. Aromas of vanilla, roasted malt, burnt caramel and cream. On the palate, this one was sickly sweet, with rootbeer schnapps, imitation vanilla extract and milk chocolate. Undrinkable, even in moderation. I was told this is a love it or hate it kind of beer, and I believe it. Unfortunately for me, I hated it. Probably one of the worst beers I've ever had.

1.83/5  rDev -53.4%

I've had a lot of people say to me "I don't normally like beer, but you've got to try this one" and against my better judgment, I got it on tap one night. I was stunned when I looked up the rating of it on here, can't believe it's scored as well as it has.

Anyway...looks unspectacular. Dark brown/black body with the slightest bit of white foam around the edges of the glass. Minimal lacing. Smells downright putrid. Smells like really intense, artificial vanilla and alcohol. Taste was even worse. This was like a combination of vanilla extract, cough syrup, and cheap vodka. In fact, I could probably make a batch of that at home and it would be cheaper. Lots of overwhelming alcohol presence (the 10% ABV is not disguised at all) and just cloyingly, overwhelmingly sweet. Feel is harsh due to all the alcohol and not at all creamy and mellow like milk stouts typically are. Felt a little more like an unbalanced quad than milk stout. This beer is just plain unpleasant and I would not drink it again.

1.83/5  rDev -53.4%

A - Very dark brown brew pour with almost no head and no lacing.

S - Smells like vanilla custard and burnt sugar. They deliver on this creme brûlée thing for sure... The vanilla is very pungent. Placing your nose near the beer is almost nauseating. It's a struggle, but underneath the vanilla, I detect faint hints of blueberries. It is . . . unique.

T - Immediately, it presents with a very acrid bitterness. The flavor is of extremely intense vanilla, custard and caramelized sugar. Underneath this, there is charred malt. Aftertaste is really, really bitter, but it is a caustic, medicinal sort of bitterness - not at all pleasant. Along with the bitterness is lingering vanilla. Unlike a lot of beers, the sweetness and bitterness don't play nice. They make for a startlingly unpleasant brew. I really just hate the taste of this.

M - Smooth, but with high carbonation, medium bodied, a little refreshing, but the bitterness prevents that from shining.

D - Ugh. My tongue feels like it was just beaten with a vanilla bat. I commend Southern Tier for brewing this, it delivers enough creme brûlée that one feels the beer has delivered true to its name. However, I don't like it. It is just narrowly above drain pour for me. With a lot less vanilla and a lot less of that gross medicinal bitterness, this could be a tasty brew, but it is too over-the-top to enjoy.

Edit: I almost ended up pouring this down the drain, but I found that it meshes strangely well with peanut butter. As long as you don't accidentally smell it, drinking this while eating peanut butter is kind of pleasant.

1.87/5  rDev -52.4%

growler pour into a pint glass
courtesy of JC

A: pours completely black, topped with a cappuccino colored head that drops to a thin film and leaves a little bit of lace.
S: Butterscotch, vanilla, smells sweet
T: tastes very sweet, cloying, lots of vanilla and caramel, kristine thinks of butterscotch, a little bit of dark roasted malt in the background along with a hint of alcohol heat.
M: Creamy and mouthcoating with a little astringency.
O: Reviews had made me think this was a very polarizing beer and now that I have tasted it, I can see why. If they dialed back the sweetness/vanilla/creme brulee flavor by half and made it more of a sweet stout with some of those flavors, then I think it would be a much better beer. As it is, this comes across as a horrible mess. I can't imagine drinking even a 6 or 8 ounce pour, it is just too sweet/overwhelming. This is a drain pour for me.

1.88/5  rDev -52.2%

22 ounce bottled poured into a snifter.

Pours a thick, viscous black color with a slightly medium brown head which receded into about 20 seconds.

This beer smells pretty darn inviting. It's overwhelmingly vanilla with touches of burnt sugar and booze on the edge. Sadly, the smell was to be the highlight of this one.

The problems begin with the first sip. This beer is teeth rattlingly sweet. Way too much vanilla. To call the taste cloying would be a dramatic understatement. I've never had a beer as sweet as this stout. The vanilla masks every other quality of the beer except for a little boozy burn on the back end of the sip. The worst part about the taste was that it made me start to dislike the smell of the beer. After one sip, the beer smelled much sweeter than it had pre-sip. Ugh. So damned sweet. What a disappointment.

The mouthfeel was again overwhelmed by the taste. It's like I went into vanilla shock and the only think I could pick up on was vanilla and maybe a little more vanilla.

As for drinkability? Forget it. I couldn't finish more than a few sips let alone an entire glass or god forbid the whole bottle. I've never poured a craft beer down the drain before until this one. I figured I have a fridge full of beers that taste good, why bother drinking one that doesn't?

Creme Brulee Stout was a major disappointment. I've liked everything else I've tried from Southern Tier, but they missed the boat on this one. It could be a winner if they toned down the over the top amount of vanilla.

1.89/5  rDev -51.9%

Went to the store specifically to get myself a nice stout.
Saw this and said, what the hell.

The firs thing I did after popping the cap is take a deep whiff of it. Ew. It's awful. Well, no, it smells delicious, like creme brulee which got soaked in vanilla and I can't help but smell strawberries somewhere in there too.. Then the alcohol and sugars are there..
I took a small taste, the mouthfeel is nice, creamy, a bit frothy, idk. Uhm.. but this just tastes like candy coated alcohol. The alcohol is prevalent.. uhm.. its just overly sweet with a ton of sugars and vanilla to mask the alcohol. It tastes like what dunkin donuts would do if they were asked to make a beer. its artificial tasting. Some of the other "F" rated reviews nailed my thoughts exactly..

Someone else said it, but yeah, this is the perfect example of "just cause you can do it doesn't make it a good idea."

Such a waste of $9 dollars. Coulda gotten a 6 of Mothers Milk too.. but decided to get the expensive bomber instead. Balls.

1.9/5  rDev -51.7%

I do not understand the high reviews for this unless its a few ounce serving.
A: Good appearance. Thick, decent dark head that is somewhat slow to settle looks good.
S: Almost immediatly after pouring I'm hit with the huge butterscotch aroma. Just monstrous with hints of vanilla. Is it a bad smell? No, but it reminds me more of cheap schnapps than beer, and is offputting.
T: More of the same. Like butterscotch vanilla liquer. Sweetness in spades and a long aftertaste. Good if the taste was in any marginal way beery, but it's like having a bunch of caramel stuck in your mouth and trying to wash it down with butterscotch schnapps.
M: Very good here for an imperial stout. Thick, chewy, and viscously coating. What I look for in an imperial stout. It's hurt in some small way by the flavor as I don't want it in my mouth.
D: Bad. I had about three ounces and poured the rest of my half bottle/glass into my girlfriends. Still couldn't get rid of the taste for a loooong time and could smell the artificial buttery flavor on her breath all night.
In all, an interesting one to taste, but can't imagine going into this looking to do more than that. Can't recommend a purchase, but if someone offers you some, give it a smell and decide if it's for you. For the record, my girlfriend enjoyed it (which saved having to pour it down the drain).

1.91/5  rDev -51.4%

yikes! very robust beer, packed with flavor, although unfortunately all the flavor tastes very artificial. Vanilla, and butterscotch, butterscotch, butterscotch, also quite bitter at the end. smells like it tastes. I tried to make a butterscotch beer once and just dumped a lot of extract in it, of course I had no idea what I was doing and it was lousy. This beer is VERY similar to that abomination I brewed. can't say much other than it's strictly a love/hate brew. If you want a novelty beer that tastes like really cheap & bitter candy, you'll love it

1.91/5  rDev -51.4%

A- Pours black with ruby highlights, a one finger tan head.

S- Would smell great, if it were a candle, not what I want to smell from a beer, Vanilla, burnt sugar, not much else in the nose.

T- Like eating a Yankee brand vanilla candle with butterscotch icing. Such an artificial sickly sweet taste, makes me almost gag. I detect nearly no hops, just sugar on top of you guessed it...more sugar.

M- Thick, full bodied, oily slick, moderate carbonation.

O- I would avoid at all cost, maybe this is for some people though. Glad I at least tried it so I could experience it for myself. It was so hard to get through even splitting the bottle with a friend. Skip this milk stout and go for Left Hand's Nitro Milk Stout, which is perfectly balanced.

In closing, try it if you must. It was one of those pure curiosity things for me. Will never buy again.

1.91/5  rDev -51.4%

This is another of those beers that I am shocked anybody likes, but different strokes I guess.

Wont bore you with the appearance or even the smell. The taste however I will certainly touch on.

Frankly the best I can say about this beer is that it is slightly better than taking a swig of pure vanilla extract. Wow. The flavor is not enhanced with a nice, subdued Creme Brulee flavor, but rather an in your face, sweet, overpowering taste of cheap vanilla extract. Honestly this was one of only 3 or 4 drain pours in my 54 years of roaming this planet. To me this was undrinkable.

A novelty beer for sure.Tread lightly my friends, unless you are a huge fan of vanilla flavoring, and have your dentist on retainer.

1.94/5  rDev -50.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I tried this beer twice within a seven month span. Both attempts were out of 22oz bombers and both attempts arrived at the same conclusion: interesting idea on paper, murder in real life.

Pours a dark brown/black, normal-to-thinner consistency, about a finger or two of tan head that dissipated in short order. No real lacing down the sides of the glass at all.

This beer could be on the moon and you'd still be able to smell it. Vanilla sugars are present in massive quantity. In the aroma department, at the very least, they nailed what they were going for. The nose is the best thing this has going for it.

Which is good, because the taste is one part Vanilla/Cake-Frosting and one part alcohol with both parts trying to dominate the hell out of things. Woof. You are hard pressed to get anything else out of this chaos. Letting the beer warm up a bit DOES dial things down a notch - the problem is that it just drops it from 10+ intensity to like 9. It's still gallons of sweet on top of gallons of booziness with very little blending of the two. You might get some toasted malt notes in there every sip or two, but with the massive sugar bomb involved, it ends up tasting like burnt marshmallow. I don't think using a milk stout as the backbone was a good call - oatmeal might have been better. But, hey, if you like near-sickeningly sweet monster imperials, this may work for you.

Feel is your typical milk stout - it's going to be on the thinner side of things. The reduction in carbonation didn't do this beer any favors.

Pair it with something and you might get out alive. But this is not a stand-alone beer and nothing I can conceive of spending money on. Slight bummer since I think Southern Tier has winners on their roster - this, however, is not one of them.

1.96/5  rDev -50.1%

G: Duvel tulip

A: Very dark and opaque brown body with one finger of dark mocha head. Head quickly fades away leaving the slightest lacing.

S: Very strong aroma of milk chocolate and vanilla. Some caramel and butterscotch comes behind. Surprised at how strong the vanilla is.

T: A mixture of butterscotch, vanilla and milk chocolate create a very strong taste. Really captures the creme brulee goal and is quite sweet.

M: Heavy bodied giving it a syrupy texture and has relatively low carbonation. It leaves a very sweet sticky feeling in the mouth begging for another drink. Also the alcohol isn't that apparent until after it passes down the throat.

D: The taste is fantastic and hit the goal, but it's to expensive and to 'out there' to drink regularly. Outstanding job none the less.

EDIT: After I continued on with this bomber and the temperature hit room it became very hard to drink and the alcohol pierced through. Extremely hard to finish this beer right now.

Ended up with pouring the beer. When cold it's drinkable.

This beer was highly recommended by my waitress at Flying Saucer. It came out in a 22 oz bottle.

I poured it into a tulip glass.

A: at first glance it looks great. good color.
S. the aggressive aroma made me immediately think this beer was loaded with some kind of fake extracts. I checked the bottle and found it was all natural ingredients.
T: I took a swig, and I could barely swallow. I would almost rather consume a BMC beer. I nearly left the rest of it there and walked out. But it was way to pricey to waste.
M: the mouthfeel was astringent almost. It felt chemically.
O: No. don't drink this beer

2.03/5  rDev -48.3%

This is such a bizarre beer. The name alone would drive me NOT to taste it but we'll take one for the team here. (Note, I am generally not a fan of milk stouts)

About three oz poured into a sample glass from draft.

Pours a deep, opaque black with an offwhite head that quickly dissipates leaving spotty bubbles on top of the brew.

THE NOSE IS INSANE! So much vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, chocolate, roasted malts. It's literally a punch to the senses. If the beer tastes anything like this it should be good.

Woah, what happened to the taste? Initially the taste does follow the nose but only for a second. The wonderful spice armoa from the nose is swallowed up in a bitterness that's really unpleasing. This bitterness along with the OVERWHELMING sweetness of the beer is just nausiating. There is a fair amount of lactic acid which really doesn't help the beer in the least. It's almost super sweet bile. Blech.

The mouthfeel is much thinner than I would have wanted out of a beer claiming this much flavor. Relatively moderate carbonation coupled with a too-thin mouthfeel and the ever-lingering bitterness/sweetness combo does not help this beer at all.

I've never claimed to be a fan of milk stouts and this doesn't help the cause IMO. I'd avoid this brew and take a well-rounded imperial stout over it without all the "pizazz."

Avoid.

2.03/5  rDev -48.3%

Acquired this in a trade with Yamar18.

Appearance: Pours dark with one finger mocha head. Poor retention. Almost totally opaque. A little light can be seen through when held to light. Shouldn't be able to see light through an imperial stout.

Smell: Strong vanilla (smells like an Irish car bomb!), sweet chocolate and super rich caramel.
Wiseman Justin thinks it smells like an irish car bomb but slightly worse. Somewhat sickly. Alcohol shows through. "Note after drinking this for a couple of minutes, the smell of it makes me nauseous. - Wiseman Justin"

Taste: Super sweet. Again tastes like an irish car bomb (but worse). Wiseman Justin "I'd definitely rather be drinking an irish car bomb, should I chug this?" Has a definite liqueur aftertaste. 2.0

Mouthfeel: Really syrupy with medium carbonation (fairly high carbonation for an imperial stout). Thick body and dry, alcoholic aftertaste. There is really nothing terribly bad about the way it feels in the mouth area of the body.

Drinkability: Ranking this is easy, I have no desire to finish this beer let alone drink another one. In addition with a 10% alcohol score the ability to drink these is also hindered. Wiseman Nick says he could finish this one, but he'd probably feel sick. Wiseman Justin: 1.0 Wiseman Nick: 1.5

Notes: "it's just gross, and It's just bad"

2.04/5  rDev -48.1%

Thanks for the trade! This review is not indicative of my gratitude.

What the ding dang doo is up with this beer? Pours a weird dark brown toffee color with almost no head. Very good aroma. Laden with coffee, tons of vanilla, and a bit of roasted butterscotchiness.

The taste is nothing whatsoever like the smell. Not even close. There's a horrible chemical-y butter/cream sweetness, and the vanilla, which is so intoxicating to the nose, is cloying. There is something very, very wrong with this beer's flavor. Like vanilla extract gone alcohol.

Thin mouthfeel. Couldn't finish the bottle. If you look at my scores, you'll see how schizophrenic I found this drinking experience.

2.05/5  rDev -47.8%

Bottle into snifter.

Pours dark brown with some light peeking through, and a slightly foamy, thin tan head.

Smell is butterscotch and a hint of roasty coffee.

Taste is big, sweet vanilla and butterscotch up front, with a touch of hop acidity peeking through and pairing with a sharp roastiness to bring the massive sweetness back in again. Unfortunately, the two balancing sides don't really mesh that well, and the result feels rather discordant, with the acidity being overemphasized by the slightly-too-sharp carbonation as well. Just a cloying, artificial tasting mess. I still cringe when I think of this beer.

Medium-heavy body and moderate to light but sharp carbonation.

Couldn't finish the bomber.

2.06/5  rDev -47.6%

I love ST beers, especially all of the other Blackwater Series Stouts but this was way too sugery/desserty. If you love to drink Creme Brulee (CB), you'll love this beer. It tastes exactly like it sounds....exactly. Poured into a DFH snifter, it looks great and you smell the CB immediately. It's just not my cup of tea and I know I'm supposed to consider that in my review so I'm just going to leave it at what I said above. It's like drinking candy. luckily my wife's girl friend liked it so I gave her the rest of the bottle!

2.06/5  rDev -47.6%

The only thing I didn't like about this "beer" is the fact that it smells like Creme Brulee and tastes like Creme Brulee. The smell and taste of the desert are too overpowering for me to actually sit and enjoy the beer. I like flavor in my beers but not this much flavor.

2.07/5  rDev -47.3%

750 ml bottle served in a goblet.

Looks fine but not much head or bubbles even with aggressive pouring. I really like all the information on the bottle about what is in it and what to pair it with etc.

This smells vanilla like a delicious desert. I don't know if beer should smell like this but what a great smell!

This tastes just a little like it smells up front then metallic bitterness. The more you drink the more nasty, metallic bitterness comes through. I had to eat something with this to try to finish it. This is not a sweet stout. This is a bitter stout.

Mouth feel is nice. If you pinch your nose you can really pay more attention to the mouth feel and it is nice.

Overall, I do not want to ever drink this again or anything else with that Guinness-like metal tasting bitter finish. I do like to smell it but I guess that is just a tease.

2.07/5  rDev -47.3%

This beer poured and intense opaque black, with a 2 finger of thick creamy head. Head retention was decent and left spotty lacing on the glass. Nose has an overpowering of artificial vanilla, butterscotch, and caramel smell to it. Hints of chocolate and roasted malts are slightly detectable. The taste follows the same as the nose. At first there is a pretty decent chocolate and dark malt flavors. However, those are quickly met with a harsh butterscotch and caramel. The artificial vanilla tasting hits you throughout, and the booziness doesn't help. I was hoping as it warmed, the tastes would become less harsh, but alas, it didn't. This is a heavy body, lighter carbonation, with a thick and creamy feel to it. I am generally a big fan of Southern Tier, but this beer was far off the mark for me. The harshness in the taste made this beer very, very close to a drain pour for me. It was very difficult to finish this bottle.

2.11/5  rDev -46.3%

A - Dark brown and slightly opaque. Would expect a slightly darker beer for an imperial stout.

S- Lots of vanilla, not much in the way of roasted malts that I would expect in an imperial stout. And it is an extract vanilla smell, not something you would get from whole beans.

T - Good freakin' god, this might be the sweetest beer I have ever had. Vanilla and more vanilla, sugar and some alcohol heat. I can feel my teeth rotting. There is nearly no malt or hop presence in the taste.

M - Despite looking a little on the thin side, the mouthfeel is pretty good. Right where an imperial stout should be in my opinion, if not a little bit light.

D - This would be a much more drinkable beer if the vanilla wasnt so overpowering. While not quite a drain pour, I don't think I will be getting this one again.

2.12/5  rDev -46.1%

I love creme brulle and I love beer so this should be great.
The beer is nice and dark and pours with a thick full head that has nice retention. The nose is extremely close to creme caramel not really creme brulle, but it smells incredibly interesting.

Everything is down hill from there. The beer is disgustingly sweet (cloying is not even close to accurate...this beer is thick with sugar and just over the top nasty). Vanilla so overpowering on the front that there isn't much left to taste. The beer finished even worse with an overly bitter kick and nothing even close to a stout's character. I rinsed my mouth out with water after the first sip.

As the beer warms, things go from bad to worse. This is a novelty act in the extreme and I would NEVER buy the beer again.

totally disgusting.

2.14/5  rDev -45.5%

Poured into a tulip at. Cellar temps. Review from notes taken.

Appears black with brown around the edges when held to the light. Not a lot of head on the pour, no lacing to speak of.

Smells like someone dropped a bottle of vanilla into my glass. I'm trying to get some malts out of this, but the vanilla overpowers everything.

Tastes like butterscotch, burned butterscotch. Lots of vanilla, maybe some crystal malts coming in to give the butterscotch flavor, but it comes across as dicetyl, some roasted malts bring a little bitterness and a percieved burned flavor towards the end.

The beer feels oily and slick, not as thick and creamy as I expected from an imperial milk stout.

Overall, its the polarizing beer that I expected. There's no balance here, none at all. If you're a fan of an aggressive vanilla profile than this is for you. If you're looking for something a bit more subtle, a bit more balanced, and more complex, this brew isn't for you. It certainly wasn't for me.

I revisited this beer 2/3/16. I stand by my original review, and would like to add that there is a sticky acrid bitterness on the back of the tongue after every sip. Still one of my least favorite beers.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company