Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series)Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

Added by ph2001 on 07-12-2008

Ratings: 4,579 |  Reviews: 1,463
1.83/5  rDev -53.4%

A - Very dark brown brew pour with almost no head and no lacing.

S - Smells like vanilla custard and burnt sugar. They deliver on this creme brûlée thing for sure... The vanilla is very pungent. Placing your nose near the beer is almost nauseating. It's a struggle, but underneath the vanilla, I detect faint hints of blueberries. It is . . . unique.

T - Immediately, it presents with a very acrid bitterness. The flavor is of extremely intense vanilla, custard and caramelized sugar. Underneath this, there is charred malt. Aftertaste is really, really bitter, but it is a caustic, medicinal sort of bitterness - not at all pleasant. Along with the bitterness is lingering vanilla. Unlike a lot of beers, the sweetness and bitterness don't play nice. They make for a startlingly unpleasant brew. I really just hate the taste of this.

M - Smooth, but with high carbonation, medium bodied, a little refreshing, but the bitterness prevents that from shining.

D - Ugh. My tongue feels like it was just beaten with a vanilla bat. I commend Southern Tier for brewing this, it delivers enough creme brûlée that one feels the beer has delivered true to its name. However, I don't like it. It is just narrowly above drain pour for me. With a lot less vanilla and a lot less of that gross medicinal bitterness, this could be a tasty brew, but it is too over-the-top to enjoy.

Edit: I almost ended up pouring this down the drain, but I found that it meshes strangely well with peanut butter. As long as you don't accidentally smell it, drinking this while eating peanut butter is kind of pleasant.

1.87/5  rDev -52.4%

growler pour into a pint glass
courtesy of JC

A: pours completely black, topped with a cappuccino colored head that drops to a thin film and leaves a little bit of lace.
S: Butterscotch, vanilla, smells sweet
T: tastes very sweet, cloying, lots of vanilla and caramel, kristine thinks of butterscotch, a little bit of dark roasted malt in the background along with a hint of alcohol heat.
M: Creamy and mouthcoating with a little astringency.
O: Reviews had made me think this was a very polarizing beer and now that I have tasted it, I can see why. If they dialed back the sweetness/vanilla/creme brulee flavor by half and made it more of a sweet stout with some of those flavors, then I think it would be a much better beer. As it is, this comes across as a horrible mess. I can't imagine drinking even a 6 or 8 ounce pour, it is just too sweet/overwhelming. This is a drain pour for me.

1.88/5  rDev -52.2%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1.5

1.88/5  rDev -52.2%

22 ounce bottled poured into a snifter.

Pours a thick, viscous black color with a slightly medium brown head which receded into about 20 seconds.

This beer smells pretty darn inviting. It's overwhelmingly vanilla with touches of burnt sugar and booze on the edge. Sadly, the smell was to be the highlight of this one.

The problems begin with the first sip. This beer is teeth rattlingly sweet. Way too much vanilla. To call the taste cloying would be a dramatic understatement. I've never had a beer as sweet as this stout. The vanilla masks every other quality of the beer except for a little boozy burn on the back end of the sip. The worst part about the taste was that it made me start to dislike the smell of the beer. After one sip, the beer smelled much sweeter than it had pre-sip. Ugh. So damned sweet. What a disappointment.

The mouthfeel was again overwhelmed by the taste. It's like I went into vanilla shock and the only think I could pick up on was vanilla and maybe a little more vanilla.

As for drinkability? Forget it. I couldn't finish more than a few sips let alone an entire glass or god forbid the whole bottle. I've never poured a craft beer down the drain before until this one. I figured I have a fridge full of beers that taste good, why bother drinking one that doesn't?

Creme Brulee Stout was a major disappointment. I've liked everything else I've tried from Southern Tier, but they missed the boat on this one. It could be a winner if they toned down the over the top amount of vanilla.

1.89/5  rDev -51.9%

Went to the store specifically to get myself a nice stout.
Saw this and said, what the hell.

The firs thing I did after popping the cap is take a deep whiff of it. Ew. It's awful. Well, no, it smells delicious, like creme brulee which got soaked in vanilla and I can't help but smell strawberries somewhere in there too.. Then the alcohol and sugars are there..
I took a small taste, the mouthfeel is nice, creamy, a bit frothy, idk. Uhm.. but this just tastes like candy coated alcohol. The alcohol is prevalent.. uhm.. its just overly sweet with a ton of sugars and vanilla to mask the alcohol. It tastes like what dunkin donuts would do if they were asked to make a beer. its artificial tasting. Some of the other "F" rated reviews nailed my thoughts exactly..

Someone else said it, but yeah, this is the perfect example of "just cause you can do it doesn't make it a good idea."

Such a waste of $9 dollars. Coulda gotten a 6 of Mothers Milk too.. but decided to get the expensive bomber instead. Balls.

1.9/5  rDev -51.7%

Undrinkable. Upset I got 2 bottles.

1.9/5  rDev -51.7%

I do not understand the high reviews for this unless its a few ounce serving.
A: Good appearance. Thick, decent dark head that is somewhat slow to settle looks good.
S: Almost immediatly after pouring I'm hit with the huge butterscotch aroma. Just monstrous with hints of vanilla. Is it a bad smell? No, but it reminds me more of cheap schnapps than beer, and is offputting.
T: More of the same. Like butterscotch vanilla liquer. Sweetness in spades and a long aftertaste. Good if the taste was in any marginal way beery, but it's like having a bunch of caramel stuck in your mouth and trying to wash it down with butterscotch schnapps.
M: Very good here for an imperial stout. Thick, chewy, and viscously coating. What I look for in an imperial stout. It's hurt in some small way by the flavor as I don't want it in my mouth.
D: Bad. I had about three ounces and poured the rest of my half bottle/glass into my girlfriends. Still couldn't get rid of the taste for a loooong time and could smell the artificial buttery flavor on her breath all night.
In all, an interesting one to taste, but can't imagine going into this looking to do more than that. Can't recommend a purchase, but if someone offers you some, give it a smell and decide if it's for you. For the record, my girlfriend enjoyed it (which saved having to pour it down the drain).

1.91/5  rDev -51.4%

yikes! very robust beer, packed with flavor, although unfortunately all the flavor tastes very artificial. Vanilla, and butterscotch, butterscotch, butterscotch, also quite bitter at the end. smells like it tastes. I tried to make a butterscotch beer once and just dumped a lot of extract in it, of course I had no idea what I was doing and it was lousy. This beer is VERY similar to that abomination I brewed. can't say much other than it's strictly a love/hate brew. If you want a novelty beer that tastes like really cheap & bitter candy, you'll love it

1.91/5  rDev -51.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

Pours a dark cola brown color with a 2-finger caramel head. The head has decent retention leaving some splotchy lacing as it dissipates.

The aroma is probably the sweetest thing that has ever entered my nostrils. Lots and lots of vanilla, with extra sugar, followed by lots and lots of caramel and milk chocolate, also with extra sugar. This smells like some candied syrup you'd pour on your ice cream to enhance your diabetes.

The taste takes "sweetness" to a level once thought impossible, and I used to pour sugar on my apple jacks. Artificial vanilla and caramel lead the way, followed by some milk chocolate and sugar directly from the bag. It's sickeningly sweet. I wouldn't put this on my pancakes. If there's one good thing I could say, it's that the alcohol is pretty well hidden.

The feel is full-bodied with moderate carbonation. Pretty smooth, yet slightly syrupy and sticky.

Overall, gross. Just gross. I appreciate sweetness in a big stout, just like I appreciate hops in a big stout. But I need balance. In this beer, I don't taste balance. I taste sugar and sweetness beyond belief. I do understand why people would enjoy this beer, however. People appreciate decadence and sweetness. But for me, this beer is not.

1.91/5  rDev -51.4%

A- Pours black with ruby highlights, a one finger tan head.

S- Would smell great, if it were a candle, not what I want to smell from a beer, Vanilla, burnt sugar, not much else in the nose.

T- Like eating a Yankee brand vanilla candle with butterscotch icing. Such an artificial sickly sweet taste, makes me almost gag. I detect nearly no hops, just sugar on top of you guessed it...more sugar.

M- Thick, full bodied, oily slick, moderate carbonation.

O- I would avoid at all cost, maybe this is for some people though. Glad I at least tried it so I could experience it for myself. It was so hard to get through even splitting the bottle with a friend. Skip this milk stout and go for Left Hand's Nitro Milk Stout, which is perfectly balanced.

In closing, try it if you must. It was one of those pure curiosity things for me. Will never buy again.

1.91/5  rDev -51.4%

This is another of those beers that I am shocked anybody likes, but different strokes I guess.

Wont bore you with the appearance or even the smell. The taste however I will certainly touch on.

Frankly the best I can say about this beer is that it is slightly better than taking a swig of pure vanilla extract. Wow. The flavor is not enhanced with a nice, subdued Creme Brulee flavor, but rather an in your face, sweet, overpowering taste of cheap vanilla extract. Honestly this was one of only 3 or 4 drain pours in my 54 years of roaming this planet. To me this was undrinkable.

A novelty beer for sure.Tread lightly my friends, unless you are a huge fan of vanilla flavoring, and have your dentist on retainer.

1.93/5  rDev -50.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Just way too sickly sweet for me

1.93/5  rDev -50.9%

1.94/5  rDev -50.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I tried this beer twice within a seven month span. Both attempts were out of 22oz bombers and both attempts arrived at the same conclusion: interesting idea on paper, murder in real life.

Pours a dark brown/black, normal-to-thinner consistency, about a finger or two of tan head that dissipated in short order. No real lacing down the sides of the glass at all.

This beer could be on the moon and you'd still be able to smell it. Vanilla sugars are present in massive quantity. In the aroma department, at the very least, they nailed what they were going for. The nose is the best thing this has going for it.

Which is good, because the taste is one part Vanilla/Cake-Frosting and one part alcohol with both parts trying to dominate the hell out of things. Woof. You are hard pressed to get anything else out of this chaos. Letting the beer warm up a bit DOES dial things down a notch - the problem is that it just drops it from 10+ intensity to like 9. It's still gallons of sweet on top of gallons of booziness with very little blending of the two. You might get some toasted malt notes in there every sip or two, but with the massive sugar bomb involved, it ends up tasting like burnt marshmallow. I don't think using a milk stout as the backbone was a good call - oatmeal might have been better. But, hey, if you like near-sickeningly sweet monster imperials, this may work for you.

Feel is your typical milk stout - it's going to be on the thinner side of things. The reduction in carbonation didn't do this beer any favors.

Pair it with something and you might get out alive. But this is not a stand-alone beer and nothing I can conceive of spending money on. Slight bummer since I think Southern Tier has winners on their roster - this, however, is not one of them.

1.96/5  rDev -50.1%

G: Duvel tulip

A: Very dark and opaque brown body with one finger of dark mocha head. Head quickly fades away leaving the slightest lacing.

S: Very strong aroma of milk chocolate and vanilla. Some caramel and butterscotch comes behind. Surprised at how strong the vanilla is.

T: A mixture of butterscotch, vanilla and milk chocolate create a very strong taste. Really captures the creme brulee goal and is quite sweet.

M: Heavy bodied giving it a syrupy texture and has relatively low carbonation. It leaves a very sweet sticky feeling in the mouth begging for another drink. Also the alcohol isn't that apparent until after it passes down the throat.

D: The taste is fantastic and hit the goal, but it's to expensive and to 'out there' to drink regularly. Outstanding job none the less.

EDIT: After I continued on with this bomber and the temperature hit room it became very hard to drink and the alcohol pierced through. Extremely hard to finish this beer right now.

Ended up with pouring the beer. When cold it's drinkable.

This beer was highly recommended by my waitress at Flying Saucer. It came out in a 22 oz bottle.

I poured it into a tulip glass.

A: at first glance it looks great. good color.
S. the aggressive aroma made me immediately think this beer was loaded with some kind of fake extracts. I checked the bottle and found it was all natural ingredients.
T: I took a swig, and I could barely swallow. I would almost rather consume a BMC beer. I nearly left the rest of it there and walked out. But it was way to pricey to waste.
M: the mouthfeel was astringent almost. It felt chemically.
O: No. don't drink this beer

Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series) from Southern Tier Brewing Company