Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States | website

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

Added by ph2001 on 07-12-2008

Reviews: 1,428 | Ratings: 4,472
4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

L - black, stout-esque. Tan foamy head, hangs on a good while
S - smell gets a 'wow' from me. Sweet sweet burnt vanilla. Nailed it.
T - very vanilla, toasty malt, bitter finish. Kinda weird. Not bad by any means.
F - fairly creamy, not too carbonated.
O - this beer smells awesome, sweeter than actual creme brulee. Maybe that's why I was let down by the taste, because the taste has beer-like qualities. I am glad I tried this beer, not sure I would get it again, unless I am in the mood for something extremely vanilla.

3.92/5  rDev -0.3%

Undated bomber at 45 degrees into shaker
Aroma of burnt sugar and vanilla
Head small (1.5 cm, aggressive pour), light brown, creamy, slowly diminishing to 6 mm ring and 1 mm layer
Lacing excellent – complete rings of tiny bubbles
Body dark brown, opaque
Flavor begins very sweet with vanilla and cream, bitterness of burnt sugar rolls in for the finish. No hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate full, creamy, soft carbonation

Appearance 4.25, Aroma 4, Flavor 3.75, Palate 4, Overall 4

3.11/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

overly and artificially sweet. does have a nice mouthfeel. looks and feels pretty good but the taste is and smell is sugar with a slight toasted dark malts/cream

3.68/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 6/11/13

Pours dark brown, one finger head. Remains afloat for sometime.

Holy vanilla and burnt sugar! He nose really hits what's its label says. Strength if the vanilla is unlike any aroma I've ever I've had in a beer.

Taste is big rush of vanilla with caramel mixed in. Sweet cream starts to blend with the vanilla. A little alcohol bite in there too but this is liquid dessert.

Feel is smooth and very creamy. Carb is on the lower side but it's what's needed with the profile.

I saw that this was going to be sweet but I wasn't prepared for the prominence of vanilla. They really hit the mark on what they were trying to accomplish, but it's definitely a novelty type beer that I probably won't go for again. With all the candy and chocolate his Easter morning, I was compelled to finally open this and satisfy my curiosity.

3.84/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Just too sweet and intense. Maybe you could pour some over vanilla ice cream. I put some in my coffee and it tastes like vanilla creamer. But there's no way I am going to be able to drink much more than a shot glass at one sitting.

4.34/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Perhaps not for the traditionalist, but as a dessert offering this is a fine selection. Don't try and pair it with a main course, it really would be a poor match. Also if you don't like a sweet note in your beer then this would be one to avoid.

3.66/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Again I find milk stouts too rich for me. It seems like there is a protein element present that is off putting. This one looks great and the body is nice and thick. The nose is strong butterscotch which would be quite nice if it were toned down a bit. It's just too sweet and strong. The taste is similarly overloaded to the point that I finds self just trying to get it down instead of spending any time with it. I don't want to knock it too much since others seem to be high on it, just coming to the conclusion that this family is not for me.

3.96/5  rDev +0.8%

This is what I call a "novelty beer". It's made with a specific purpose: to taste like something. It's not a quaffing beer, it's a slow sipper as you sit around the table after dinner; or maybe with dessert or even AS dessert. If I were rating this as a quaffing beer, the score would be much lower.

Look: dark, just like a stout should. There's a thick creamy head that things out. There is little to no carbonation; however, it is not a "still" beer. As I swirled the glass I could see how thick the beer was based on the "legs" on the side of the glass. It looked like it would be thick and sweet.

Smell: like Creme Brulee, butterscotch, vanilla, cream. Smelled like dessert.

Taste: this beer needs to be warmer than usual. It's surprisingly balanced for such a sweet beer. It tastes just like creme brulee, this beer could be served as a dessert. It was fun tasting it, but more than two 4-6 oz servings would have been over the top.

Feel: it's thick. Not very carbonated, almost undercarbonated. More carbonation would have resulted in acidity on the palate that would have distracted from the overall taste and experience.

Overall: this is meant to share with friends. Don't serve it too cold. Have it as dessert.

2.68/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Split a bomber with my brother in law. Poured into a stemmed flute. A little of something is good but a lot of something can be bad. That describes this beer. Too sweet, too much vanilla. 2.75

A - black with a half finger tan head. 3.75
S - too much vanilla - 2.5
T - cloyingly sweet, malty, vanilla, 2.5
MF - med heavy body with a sweet finish. - 3

3.74/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Interesting brew. Drinking on tap at The Bier Stein in Eugene.
A: opaque black beer, very much what I expect of a stout. Leaving minimal lacing and had a small head.
S: Smells like creme bruleè even through my stuffy nose. Very inviting, fantastically done nose, spot on.
T: my taste buds are a little out of wack as of late but this beer opens pretty generic stout flavor. A sudden wash of sticky sweet mixed with hop bitter as one would expect from a beer that smells like custard. Finishes with a lingering sweetness.
M: pretty basic, smooth stout
O: a good beer, I sure enjoyed the novelty of it. Good to share.

3.92/5  rDev -0.3%

Strong coffee notes, and the promised sweetness and vanilla. Obviously a bit on the dessert side. Good, and not just "for what it is" -- although you've definitely got to be in the right mood.

4.6/5  rDev +17%

As far as imperial milk stouts go this one is without a doubt my favorite. Strong caramel and vanilla notes complement and somewhat tame the high level of sweetness. Although this is one of the sweetest milk stouts I have had, it is not overpowering as long as you only have one or two. An excellent "dessert beer." VERY hard to find in my area but well worth the search.

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a snifter.
A - Black like oil. Minimal head that disappears quickly.
S - Fantastic aroma! Caramel, vanilla and coffee and other sweet things I can't think of right now.
T - This may be my favorite desert beer. A sweet stout pushed over the edge with caramel and vanilla with a touch of coffee. And then you feel a bit of alcohol burn that reminds you are NOT at Starbucks or Dairy Queen.
M - Medium mouth feel, low carbonation.
O - One of my favorite beers, and certainly my favorite milk stout. I could drink this all the time.

4.36/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

DoB: 6/6/13

Almost 2 years old sitting in my cellar for that long.

Look dark rich color with tan thick head.

Rich caramel flavor- intoxicating

Very sweet strong caramel flavor, really nailed the Creme Brûlée.

Thin taste, almost feels like its robbing such a great beer with such a thin mouth feel.

3.89/5  rDev -1%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from pint and a half bottle into pint glass. Poured a little less than room temp, poured a dark opaque brown, not quite black. Very minimal head (probably due to the temp). Smells GREAT, smells of vanilla, Carmel, brown sugar, malt, and coffee. Most notable is the Carmel to me. Tastes good at first, like vanilla and Carmel, but the after taste is very alcoholic and medicinal, nearly ruins it. The carbonation is slightly less than what I prefer, and it seems a bit thin for a stout. Overall it's nothing that great, but the smell IS remarkable.

1.5/5  rDev -61.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

This beer is absolutely horrible. The smell is obnoxious and unappealing. The taste is worse. It has one of the worst aftertastes I've ever experienced; somewhat medicinal and just downright nasty. The beer looks good, however; its opaque, almost black, and pours a nice tan, one finger head. Unfortunately, it's all looks, and no taste. I couldn't finish this one. I read other descriptions and I guess my taste buds aren't refined enough because I didn't taste cocoa, chocolate, Creme brûlée, vanilla or anything else described in this beer. It's horribly sweet and unappealing. Won't be buying this again.

3.02/5  rDev -23.2%

Tastes slightly less sweet than it smells but both smell and taste are very sweet. Much sweeter than I expected, making it a one 1/2 pint drinker. Let me be clear, I enjoy sweet beers but this one was a bit much and it overpowered the good flavour profiles.

4.33/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Nice black pour into the glass. Thin, wispy head. Very potent smell of caramel and vanilla. It tastes like it smells, with the caramel really shining through as the biggest flavor. Only problem is it takes on a bubblegum taste as it warms. Overall, I really like it, and will get it again. Nice sweet dessert stout great as an after dinner drink.

3.53/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Dark black body, no head. Lovely vanilla heavy nose... Smells so good! Boozey warming and some vanilla. Kinda bitter. Too much booze. Decent body for an imperial stout. Smells better than it tastes. I wanted to like this as much as Choklat! Booze killed it for me.

3.99/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Aggressive pour in my sniffer glass with minimal head. Jet black. Vanilla and maybe caramel nose. Bold vanilla and pretty sweet full body. Would have liked to share, maybe a little sweet for me. Drinks better after sitting awhile. Alcohol well hidden.

3.2/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Well, that was interesting.

Nose- Burnt caramel, vanilla, sugar, glazed icing

Taste- butterscotch and vanilla upfront with a horrific fake sugar aftertaste. Almost medicinal and cloying. Like fake Equal meets fake Splenda.

Definitely a dessert beer with a good nose but the Splenda/fake aftertaste really killed this beer for me.

2.36/5  rDev -39.9%

I was shocked how much this reminded me of artificial sugar and fake vanilla. This was the first large format that I didn't continue past half a glass.

4.89/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is amazing! A friend bought it on a whim since he enjoyed creme brulee creamer. I was skeptical until I smelled it--you'd swear it was a cup of dessert! Nicely sweet, awesome roast, not boozy. This is a "panty dropper".

4.99/5  rDev +27%

i have had a few thousand beers in my day but this one takes the cake as my second favorite beer of all time. if you don't like sweet beer or butterscotch this beer isn't for you. i am a stout guy by the way and i like sweet stouts but any sweeter then this one and its to much. founders big luscious for example is to sweet but this one is on the mark

4.16/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very smooth with a touch of sweetness, even used a bottle for a batch of ribs on did in the crock pot that gave the ribs a nice sweet note to them that even carried through sometime in the smoker

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company