Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

Added by ph2001 on 07-12-2008

Reviews: 1,431 | Ratings: 4,482
3.39/5  rDev -13.7%

650 mL bottle, around $8, poured into an oversize wine glass.

a-black with a reddish tint, a 1/2 inch of head that dissipates very quickly only a ring of thin foam remains. little lacing

s- vanilla, butterscotch, chocolate, sugar, slight coffee. a bit overpowering.

t- just as it smells. strong and sweet vanilla and toffee soak the palate at first. black licorice and caramel next. This is way too sweet. A little coffee and a little help the cloying taste, but not very much. It's not very well balanced at all.

m- creamy, medium body, sticky. okay carbonation. syrupy after taste.

o- this is definitely a dessert beer and a hell of a specialty. It's unlike anything I've ever had. In my opinion, it's fantastic for the style, but it's not for me. I can only take it in small, small, very small doses. Way too sweet for me.

1.91/5  rDev -51.4%

This is another of those beers that I am shocked anybody likes, but different strokes I guess.

Wont bore you with the appearance or even the smell. The taste however I will certainly touch on.

Frankly the best I can say about this beer is that it is slightly better than taking a swig of pure vanilla extract. Wow. The flavor is not enhanced with a nice, subdued Creme Brulee flavor, but rather an in your face, sweet, overpowering taste of cheap vanilla extract. Honestly this was one of only 3 or 4 drain pours in my 54 years of roaming this planet. To me this was undrinkable.

A novelty beer for sure.Tread lightly my friends, unless you are a huge fan of vanilla flavoring, and have your dentist on retainer.

2.68/5  rDev -31.8%

Had with JDV and pint sized.

A-Dark and stout looking
S-Like werther's or nips caramel butterscotchs.
T-Huge blast of cloying caramel, vanilla, and butterscotch. So sweet and overpowering with lingering butter in the mouth. Did not like this and did not think it tasted like Creme brulee.
M-Thinner than expected and leaves an unpleasant lingering film.
D-I could drink this all night- for 1 million dollars!! Not a fan. Won't try again. Glad to try the novelty and thought it would be good paired with food but not standing alone.

3.57/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into my snifter.

Upon just cracking the bottle, butterscotch is pouring everywhere. After pouring still all I can smell is butterscotch.

A: Pours a deep black, consistency of skim milk. Nearly no head. Minimal lacing.

S: Aroma, still all butterscotch. Small hint of chocolate. This is going to be sweet

T: Taste begins with butterscotch, and some mocha. Finish has a welcomed taste of alcohol

M: One of the creamier beers I've had yet - thinner but similar to a Baileys.

D: A bit disappointed by this, and certainly something I wouldn't drink more than one of. Yet, very smooth - too overly sweet for me. Would work well as a Desert beer, and could gain fans of non beer-geeks. Optimal serving would be 8 oz.

4.97/5  rDev +26.5%

Big thanks to wchesak for this bottle!!!

Popped that cap and went in for a smell... It brought a huge smile to my face. Huge smell of vanilla and bready sweetness. Like there is a donut shop inside the bottle!.

Pours a dark black. with some head forming.

The mouthfeel is so creamy and chewy.

The taste is just outstanding. Just like the nose. Vanilla, sugar, bready dough yumminess!!! Wish I had some dessert to go along with this.

By far one of my favorite beers I have ever had.

Living in san diego... this is going to be a constant want!

4.74/5  rDev +20.6%

A: Nice dark almost black brown, with a slight plum hue. Slight head that sticks around for a little while. Mild lacing as well.

S: Smells delicious!!! A nice strong sweet vanilla flavor comes across immediately with some nice caramel in the background. Great aroma that makes me want to drink it ASAP.

T: A very complex flavor. First you taste the sweet vanilla flavor. Then the caramel hits you. It finishes with a nice roasted malts after taste. The three principle flavors work very well together and illustrate how the sum is greater than the individual parts.

M: A nice chewy consistency for this milk stout.

D: Extremely drinkable. Great tasting beer that will bring me back for more. I could drink these all night.

Overall: Phenomenal beer! Everything about this beer is great. The taste is amazing, I would definitely recommend this beer to anyone and everyone. The 10% alcohol content is also a plus. You'll enjoy drinking these all night and probably get a nice little buzz out of it too.

4.09/5  rDev +4.1%

Southern Tier Creme Brulee pours and almost opaque black with hints for dark mahogany. The head is a creamed coffee color with little retention.

Its aroma is extremely strong and dead on the smell of Creme Brulee. The sweet notes are overwhelming, but small amounts of dark malt can be found.

This beer is super sweet, and that flavor immediately takes over the moment it is sipped. It immediately goes into the finish which starts with roasty malt notes, but the sweetness again builds and last for minutes.

Its mouthfeel is heavy, and the carbonation is relatively low but perfect for the style.

Overall, this beer is definitely different than anything I had ever had. It is named perfectly. The only down side is that it is so sweet, it is hard to finish just a pint of it. But it is a most have.

4.04/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Very dark with little to no head.

S: Sweet. Lots of brown sugar, caramel, and vanilla.

T: Coffee followed by lots of vanilla. Finish is roasty with some alcohol warming.

M: Medium with medium carbonation.

O: Good overall. I liked the smell a lot but thought it could use a bit less carbonation.

4.44/5  rDev +13%

This beer was poured into a mini goublet. Pours black with no head. As it was placed in front of me you can smell the sweet vanilla aroma... just like a real creme-brulee. The taste is sweet sweet sweet vanilla and reflects it's name. There is a slight malt flavor and you can taste the presence of the high ABV. Overall, a great beer to have once in a while, but too sweet for my taste. I will have it again though.

4.09/5  rDev +4.1%

Thee most aromatic, and unique smelling brew I've ever encountered. A little heavy on the palate, but with it's deep hints of sweet vanilla, chocolate, and molasses on the nose, you expected that. It poured almost dark black, with a small white head that vanished rather quickly. It's taste of rich vanilla, caramel, and chocolate malt. But becomes bitter with some coffee and at the end, nicely finishing of the almost overly sweet tone.

3.67/5  rDev -6.6%

Finally showing up at stores in my area.

Minimal (1/4 inch or so) creamy tan "head". The dominate aroma is vanilla. There is spice and burnt sugar. For me, this tastes like it smells. Overly dominated by vanilla. It is far to sweet. The flavor is good....hints of coffee...bit of chocolate malt. But the vanilla and sweetness got to be to much. This from a person that loves creme brulee..loves stout...loves creme brulee with stout. ;-).

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy.

Drinkability suffers due to the sweetness. A dessert beer of course. It really needs a pairing to cut the sweetness.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it ages. I'm hoping the vanilla fades just a bit.

4.24/5  rDev +7.9%

We brought a bottle to dinner party of non-beer drinkers. They were a little apprehensive.

The color was a nice chocolate brown with a lasting light brown head.

The aroma was dead on, rich slightly burnt sugar.

The taste was as close as you could be to eating the dssert and yet still be considered a beer. Not for everyone but a pretty fun concoction.

The mouth feel and drinkability were pretty much in line with any good milk stout.

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip

a-poured jet black. no light was getting through this puppy. creamy tan head rose up slightly and then faded away.

s-smells like the french vanilla creamer that i pour in my coffee in the morning. tons of vanilla sweetness, some butterscotch, and coffee. an incredibly unique smell thats for sure

t-again, similar to morning coffee with way too much creamer in it. sweet milkiness, coffee, chocolate and tons of vanilla bean. like coconut and even toffee. again, incredibly unique. LIke no beer I have ever tasted

m-creamy and incredibly rich and thick. like drinking my dessert. AVB is not present at all and it goes down smooth.

overall, this is some crazy stuff. Is it something I could drink every day...of course not. But in terms of an incredibly unique beer, this one takes the cake. Southern Tier just keeps making unique sweet stout that I really enjoy.

4.03/5  rDev +2.5%

In the context of beer, the rating for this would be questionable. In the context of dessert, this is amazingly good. Crack open the bottle and butterscotch aromas are already leaping at your nose. It pours deep brown black with almost no head. Delicious flavors of butterscotch, caramel, and burnt vanilla. Lingering boozy warmth. Sitting at the bar, I'd say maybe, maybe not. After a meal, why not have a dessert with 10% alcohol?

3.16/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured from a 22oz bomber.

Pours like black motor oil with a thin brown head. Not much lacing or head retention.

Aroma is of vanilla, vanilla and more vanilla with some burnt coffee there too. I'd have to say the aroma was the best part of this beer.

Taste was very sweet and syrupy. Too sweet for me but there is nothing like this out there that I have tasted before.

Glad I got the chance to try this but this is not my cup of tea. Very sweet and you would be hard pressed to drink more than one of these. I shared the bomber with another friend and we had a tough time finishing it. I'll give credit to Southern Tier for brewing this.

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

Beer is almost jet black with almost no head. Smell is burnt caramel with vanilla and malt. It tastes, not surprisingly, like a creme brulee stout. Lots of vanilla and caramel. It's got a sweet and almost candy-like finish. The mouthfeel is a little heavy and thick. The sweetness is almost too much. It's a very rich beer---not one to drink quickly. I'm not sure quite what to make of this. It's good and quite interesting, but not a beer I'd want to drink often. It's kinda like drinking dessert. But I could see enjoying one of these a few times a year, especially during cold weather, when I'm craving something heavy and sweet.

3.85/5  rDev -2%

Another great buy. This is so good. This is like the Mokah, but with the Milk or dairy added lol. This reminds me of some of the other milk stouts out there like Farons Lacto Milk Stout which is pretty good, but this takes the cake... it's like drinking a dessert out of a bottle such a great find. This is a good beer to take home.

Pours a nice rich dark body, intense nose of coffee, chocolate, tiramisu, and dairy... yum.

4.79/5  rDev +21.9%

This came recommended from Dave at HO1KB. Since nobody has any of the ST Chokolat stout this year - and that's the best of the Chocolates in my opinion, I thought I'd give this one a whirl.

Pours as a stout should - black with substantial creamy caramel top. The label info is wonderful and lists their recipe, which is very cool. Love the hard-coated-custard history.

Smells outlandishly nice. Just. Like. Creme. Brulee.

Here's the thing, don't bother with this unless you like dark, sweet (but not overly so) toffee, vanilla flavors. Of all the extreme flavored beers, this one truly lives up to the description. Much like their Chocolate Stout does.

It is reminiscent of the Bourbon cask beers, but without the ass-kicking and super alcohol taste. This is just right. Like Baby Bear. For perfect mouthfeel, get a glass that you can force a heavier head and take in some with each sip.

Creamy, Vanilla, Toffee, Coffee, Custard.
Just a delight.

Buying more of this one. This is rapidly becoming one of my favorite American breweries.

4.07/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

(I didn't use to be fan of stouts. But the stuff brewery's are doing with them nowadays is changing that.)

Wow. The label doe not lie... not one bit. This is dessert in a glass. It's a beautifully dark stout with a nice frothy tan head that laces a bit at the beginning. The aroma? Well, creme brulee almost says it all. It smells just like the sweet vanilla/custard/caramelized goodness you'd order as a desert. The vanilla bean really comes across in the nose. The flavor's are like nose but more hidden behind huge sweetness. It would be too sweet if not for a nice touch of bitterness and some mild alcohol heat. The full bodied mouth feel is quite surprising at first because of the thickness, but it's very creamy and smooth. Glad I bought this. At 9.5% ABV it gets even better as it goes...

2.49/5  rDev -36.6%

Nice color, amber brown, not your typical dark stout color. Awesome aroma with caramel, vanilla, brown sugar, maple. But unfortunately, this brew is overwhelmingly sweet. They could've cut the sweetness in half and still have a lot of flavor. If you pour a small puddle in a brandy snifter an share with friends, you'll be ok. Don't pour a pint and expect to drink like a beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've had a few from Southern Tier, but, as I have a large sweet tooth, I've been looking forward to trying this one.

Purchased for $8.95 for a 22oz bomber.
Poured into a pint glass.

A) Like a stout! Black except around the edges when held up to the light - very dark brown cola-esque. Cocoa-brown foamy head with decent retention. A small layer lasts on top of the brew and leaves a thick trail of lacing.

S) Upon opening the bottle vanilla pours out of it. Warm vanilla, caramel, sugar, faint malts. Sweet.

T) Ah...Again, extremely sweet. caramel-vanilla-sugar-cream. Subtle hops allow for a bitter bite at the end, making it a little more "beer-like" but it's still dessert. Had a little vanilla ice cream with this - coating my mouth with the vanilla ice cream and taking a sip of the beer brought out its creamy sweetness.

MF) Medium bodied. Good consistency - any thicker may have been overkill.

D) I like sweet things, and am happy to have tried this. However, this is super duper sweet and after about 8 oz. I had enough. Plus it's 10% ABV. After it warmed a bit (from staying in my glass for well over an hour) the alcohol came out in the taste more too. But still enjoyable, and a definite treat.

22oz bottle into a tulip wine glass

A - deep, opaque mahogany/black with a faint tan head that quickly vanishes and leaves no lacing

S - butterscotch pudding and rich malt

T - still lots of butterscotch pudding, but roasted barley and layers of malt emerge - this is the first time it really seems like a stout

M - creamy textured with nice roasted barley bitter edge; low carbonation; decadent mouthfeel

D - very enjoyable, definitely a sipper

overall an impressive beer, but not quite sure what to make of it; I'm inclined to use it in place of port at the end of a meal

3.05/5  rDev -22.4%

Midnight black with a caramel colored, fluffy head. The nose is bursting with sweet creme brulee-esque aromas with vanilla being the brunt of the attack. The taste is the same with flavors of vanilla, whipped cream, caramel, and milk chocolate. A bit much if you ask me. The mouthfeel is sticky and sweet. Extremely so. It tastes to me like somebody pureed some creme brulee and added some alcohol. A 22 oz. bottle seems a bit extreme for this one, a bit much for one person to stomach quite frankly. It's an interesting and unique beer for sure, but not one that I'd recommend unless you're a big fan of sweeter style beers. Maybe split it three ways with some bittersweet chocolate or fruit or something.

4.29/5  rDev +9.2%

Black pour, with little to no head. White thin layer left on top.

Smell is vanilla and cake batter. Reminds me of when my mom would let me lick the whisk after doing some baking.

Majorly sweet. Confectionery sugars and vanilla upfront. Cake battery goodness and finishes with warming alcohol booziness.

Mouthfeel was thinner than I expected.

Smell was incredible. Taste was good as well but I think it would be better as a lower ABV, but that is just me. The mouthfeel was what would be expected from what would be a higher alcohol content brew. If it would have been say 6-7% and had a little more body (think, more Katy Perry less Kate Moss) this would be a nearly perfect across the board.

Very good offering. Solid brew. Basically have to nit pick to find something wrong with it. Would buy again, but highly advise to share it with a couple other people to share the experience with.

3.23/5  rDev -17.8%

A: Black, aggressive pour achieves no head at all.

S: Eggnog, vanilla, sugar and a little bit of booze.

T: Sugar, vanilla and coffee, way to sweet, bad aftertaste.

M: Milkshake, cloying, sticky.

O: This beer was way to rich and sweet, drain poured the last 6oz or so. The pure sweetness gave me a headache at times. Would not buy again.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company