Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

Added by ph2001 on 07-12-2008

Reviews: 1,431 | Ratings: 4,487
4.62/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a fantastic imperial stout. The first aromas are of toasted caramel, vanilla, & maple syrup. The dark midnight color and thin dark head tells you that you are about to drink a stout beer. This thick and creamy beer is very complex with flavors. On the pallette we taste vanilla, and glazed caramel, just like a creme brûlée dessert. Had it at Sapsuckers in Huntington, NY.

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

Served in 22oz mug.

Pours a completely opaque black with highlights, that could easily go unnoticed, of brown showing at the edges. 1 inch head that condenses to a thin layer of thick foam over the top that lasts for a while. Like a cappuccino. Leaves thick lacing on the mug.

Smells VERY SWEET. Might turn some off but I don't dislike it. I mean what else would one expect from a southern tier imperial milk stout? Vanilla, caramel, mocha, a hint of alcohol but the sweetness definitely masks the actual abv. Almost reminds me of the way baileys smells, or some kind of french vanilla coffee/mocha adult milkshake. Or, well, creme brûlée beer.

Tastes the same as everything listed above basically except for the fact that the 9.6% abv definitely shines through here. The intense burnt caramel, malty, brown sugary, mocha milkshake sweetness still makes it hard to tell the beer is almost at 10% but there is definitely a slight boozy burn that fights its way to the front. I think with some aging this beer would be 5 in the taste category.

The mouthfeel is very syrupy, sticky, smooth. Warming on its way down. Fits the beer well but if anything Id say I wish the body was a little more full to make up for the intense flavors/alcohol.

Overall I would recommend trying this beer for the simple reason that its pretty over the top in flavor. Awesome idea for an imperial milk stout for sure! I do think the abv stuck out a little too much though and at $9 a bomber I doubt I'll be buying it again. Unless i buy it to age it which seems like it'd be a great idea. Id imagine a lot of "veterans" have been/will be bashing this beer because of the overly sugary syrupy boozy flavor but hey, thats what you get for buying an "Imperial Milk Stout". I try to rate the beers according to which category they fall under and for an imperial milk stout I'd say Southern Tier did a great job on this one.

4.8/5  rDev +22.1%

22oz brown bomber poured into a snifter.

Pours black that doesn't let even a tinge of light in around the edges, fine coffee/mocha colored head. Smell is overwhemling, much like creme brulee - vanilla and lactose are dominant, while dark roasted malt and coffee are more in the background.

Taste is mostly in the front of the mouth, smooth but slightly bitter dark malt with medium roast coffee, with the sweet lactose and vanilla beans also prominent. This certainly lives up to its name, as it tastes quite a bit like creme brulee, while it is certainly a beer incarnation of it. Incredible to savor, somewhat sweet and dessert-like. This is exceptional, the only thing it lacks is a back-of-mouth feel, which may be difficult to achieve in such a liquid.

Mouthfeel is exceptionally sweet which balances out the roasted malt bitterness and then some. Moderate-low carbonation. Very drinkable, it is like dessert in a bottle, not something to rush but it is easy to keep drinking.

3.42/5  rDev -13%

A - Pours dark brown or black with a brownish hue on the edges when held up to light. small head that dissipates quickly.

S - Vanilla, caramel, maple syrup, butterscotch some very mild bourbon. Smells very good.

T - Follows the nose but not nearly as well as I'd like. Yes all the sugary components are there the vanilla, carmel, Maple syrup and butterscotch and almost not bourbon. Pretty disappointing as it doesnt live up to the smell.

M - Thin, and sugary

D - To Sweet one is enough for me

3.65/5  rDev -7.1%

As usual, Southern Tier does what they intend to do. Why they intended to do this is beyond me, though. I have to try all the Southern Tiers, so I gave this a try, and it was like drinking Creme Brulee. Poured dark with a bit of a light head, smelled as advertised, Vanilla with a hint of coffee, and tasted the same, though in my opinion, too sweet. A bit thin as well, but drinkable. Perhaps worth a try, but not a second. May age well, so I cant say I wont pick up a second bottle to stow away for Christmas 09.

4.14/5  rDev +5.3%

Bottle. This is a very unique beer. Black pour with a tan, creamy head. Notes of vanilla, burnt sugar and chocolate malts. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Certainly full bodied. This is a great beer, but it is a bit sweet. Perfect for sharing because a small taste will go a long way.

3.45/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Served at fridge temp into a pint glass on 8/1/11.

A: Black body with a light brown head. Mediocre lacing and some alcohol legs, with a quickly dissipating head.

S: Strong, over the top vanilla, some alcohol, light coffe and caramel. Nothing overly complex.

T: Obviously there is a stong, concentrated vanilla extract-like quality, but theres also an underlying vanilla that lingers and is quite pleasant and not overbearing; it's more like actual vanilla-bean coffee than vanilla extract. Followed by the vanilla is strong, super sweet toffee and caramel. This is a very sweet beer. Alcohol extinguishes all of the flavor towards the end, but the light vanilla lingers that I previously mentioned. Its kind of like a heavy cream soda with alcohol.

M- High carbonation that almost stings my tounge. The alcohol provides a nice warming that may be pleasant in the winter time but is a little too much for me right now. There is also a slight bitterness from the hops that is coupled with the alcohol.

O- This brew definitely has potential with some age, it is descently drinkable but like I said, its a little hot right now. I'd prefer the Javah from ST. Im going to come back and review this again in a few months to a year to see how it improves with age because I feel like it would improve greatly.

3.6/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A- a thin layer of foam. No retention and minimal lacing

S- very sweet. Smells like dessert. no booze present and can smell the milkiness

T- tastes like dessert as well. Very slight hotness, and slightly dank aftertaste. The more I drink, the less I like it.

M- creamy yet light, pretty smooth

O- The smell is intoxicating. The first sip is delicious, it's just too much dessert in a glass.

3.3/5  rDev -16%

I finally decided to:

1: try an imperial stout and
2: try a Southern Tier

Appearance - Black with chocolate milk creamy head, big bubbles, head retention is not long but some lacing

Smell - Chocolate, malt, slight coffee, no hops though bottle states horizon aroma hops

Taste - Sweet, slight burnt flavor in the back of the mouth, some caramel (hence the name). Slight acidic bite at the end, no alcohol, though the bite seems to dwindle as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel - Well carbonated, not too heavy

Drinkability - One and done, glad I tried it, but I'm not sure I'd have another, though the beer is improving as it warms up, perhaps I started this with it being too cold though the recommendation is 42 degrees.

4.95/5  rDev +26%

On tap at Sierra

Pours dark as night with a great brown/mocha head. Aroma is dead on carmel vanilla, pretty much think I'm smelling creme brulee. Pallet is heavy but is the sweetest thing ive even had. Rich flavors present this as the desert beers of all desert beers.

As a side note I have had this from bottle many times already from Table & Vine northampton. It is a tad bit sweeter in bottle than on draft, but not overpowering. Poured it on some vanilla ice cream... amazing.

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%

A: Dark as night with a big brown head. Lacing is amazing and retention is moderate.

S: Amazing unique nose on this beer. The vanilla and cream come through in amazing amounts. Alcohol is present in the nose, but is mostly hidden. Plenty of malt character as well.

T: Plenty of lactose sweetness and roasted malt character are right in the forefront of the flavor. Caramel is present in the flavor as well. There is a bit of alcohol in the palate, but it is well hidden by the sweetness.

M: Thick and smooth and creamy. Quite good.

4.08/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured into a red wine glass at my hotel(winging it)...

Creme Brulee pours deep dark brown, ample tan head and lacing..looks sticky as I swirl..definately has a nice look to it...

There is no grey area about what this beer is...the smell is one sided..burnt cream and coffee hit the nose, with an undenyable sweetness..smells like dessert..

The taste follows the theme nicely..a sweet burnt coffe with creme and sugar is what I am reminded of..there is a slight hop presence there, and it lingers well with coffee bitterness..alchohol is masked..

Mouthfeel is pleasing, supple and well carbonated, verysatisfying I that aspect..

Overall this beer is not very drinkable, I would find it difficult to finsh this entire 22oz by myself...but it is what it is..a dessert beer..it is called Creme Brulee..and it delivers...

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

Color: Dark,dark, dark brown. Light carbonation, hardly any head, leaves behind minimal lacing.

Nose: Big vanilla flavors followed by hints of rich caramel and molasses. Somewhere in the background you get hints of cream/milk and mellow coffee.

Palate: Medium bodied with explosive flavor. Caramel and vanilla hit the mouth first and toward the back of the tongue you get coffee and malty goodness

Finish: Some dryness and loss of complexity. This beer is all A's until you get to this point. The sweetness kinda goes away all the flavor seems to have disappeared. Kinda of a let down, but still better than most stouts on the market.

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%

~Purchased this 22 oz bomber from Big Z Beverage in Huntington, NY. You are either going to love this concoction or hate it. I actually enjoyed every moment of this gem from the first sip to its last. Even if imperial milk stout's aren't your thing, you should give this beer a try at least once - you will not be disappointed! The 10% ABV is undetectable, so drink carefully. Wonderful beer! ~

4.59/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is a very sweet, smooth and well balanced brew. I have been waiting on this beer to get here to Alabama. This brew should be paired with a good dessert or just alone after a great meal. This brew is most definitely a panty dropper. Chicks must really love this brew as well. If you can get your hands on this brew you need to stag a few bottles. Most definitely worth it.

3.76/5  rDev -4.3%

poured into my ommegang tulip

A- pours pitch black with a thin tan head that disappears pretty quickly.

S - burnt sugar along with smells of butteriness and coffee mate.

T - to me it tastes like a sweeter than normal milk stout. lots of the same qualities in the taste as in the aroma.

M - a bit syrupy but pretty silky and pleasant.

D - when I first took my initial sip I was blown away, what a delicious beer but towards the end of the bottle it became difficult to finish due the sweetness. This seems like it would pair well with some typw of robust food to balance out the sweetness.overall a really nice and different beer, but is probably best shared with a friend or two. a glass would do me just fine..

4.44/5  rDev +13%

This beer has the best nose of any beer I have ever sniffed.

The smell is of candied butterscotch. I could sniff this beer all day.

The taste matches the nose. Butterscotch up front. Extremely sweet beer. Almost too sweet. I give this a high rating because it is delicious, however it should be noted that I can only really have this in about a 6oz portion. Anymore and it is too much. Perfect to split a bottle between a couple of friends. Great dessert beer.

4.17/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from a growler into a pint glass.

Pours a deep pitch black with a thin off-white head. The smell is incredible, smells like sugar and vanilla, just like a creme brulee. Taste follows suit, there is a deep rich oak like character with a lot of alcohol flavor. Tastes very much like caramelized sugar and cream. Low carbonation, very viscous mouthfeel. Overall this is one of the most delicious milk stouts I've had in a long time. I highly recommend giving this a try if you can get a hold of it.

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

Thanks again to the Bier Stein for stocking this beer.

A: Black like oil, thin tan head that disapates sort of quickly.

S: Smells like carmel candy. Could also pick up a nose full of vanilla, chocolate, molasses. A very nice smelling beer.

T: It was quite sweet like candy. Vanilla is very present in the taste. I let it warm up a bit, and could taste some of the booze coming through.

M: A nice thick stout that was very creamy and easy to swallow.

D: I bought this beer based mainly out of curiosity. I've had the Choklat before, and I thought that was the tastiest beer I've ever had. This beer is quite tasty as well, and I may try it again sooner or later.

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

A- Jet black with slight carbonation. Slight tan head.

S- Smells exactly like a creme brulee. You can definitely smell the caramel and vanilla.

T- Very sweet, much like drinking a creme brulee but more like thick syrup. A nice burnt sweet forefront that cascades to a creamy backend. The lactose sugar and vanilla masks the alcohol magnificently. I've had numerous beers that attempt to mimic desserts but this one truly nails it. This beer truly smells and tastes like a creme brulee. Outstanding job by Southern Tier.

M- Slight carbonation on the front of the tongue but overall a creamy mouthfeel.

D- I could drink this very easily and it goes down very easily for a 10% ABV imperial stout.

Overall- Very strange brew but very impressive offering. I'm impressed by Southern Tier's creativity and how well crafted this beer is.

2.66/5  rDev -32.3%

This is the second beer in the controversy series, thanks to SBALDWIN...and once again, no freshness date.

Poured this bomber into a snifter...another thin head that immediately vanishes. Some minimal root beer cream soda lacing noted on the sides of the glass. Deep brown body with some ruby highlights. Not overly impressive to look at.

Wow! This smells right down my alley. Large doses of burnt sugars, butterscotch, and a hit of bourbonesque alcohol vapors. Light notes of coffee and caramel peeking through the foreground.

It happened again...burnt bitter caramel up front with a super sweet artificial finish. Almost comparable to a rum and vanilla coke. Lots of imitation vanilla all the way through...

I'll sum up the mouthfeel and drinkability together being as though they both fail miserably. There was no body to this beer...it was a watery overcarbonated syrup that is too artificially sweet to be enjoyed.

Simply put...GREAT IDEA=EPIC FAIL!

I don't like the direction that my beer drinking has taken me lately. I'm looking forward to breaking into the cellar soon and bringing out some grade A stout bombs so I can find out if it's the brews or if it's me.

3.21/5  rDev -18.3%

Pours dark black with little head and little lacing. Scent is very pronounced - caramel and vanilla. It was something I couldn't stop smelling just because of the uniqueness. The taste is of caramel, butterscotch, and then mocha. Very sweet. I find it somewhat hard to judge the taste since it's very unique and complex - but it's just overwhelming. It is medium-thick-bodied and seems somewhat syrupy, but this might just be a result of the mental association with the sweet taste. I enjoyed how unique this was, but it is not something I can drink a lot of, it's just too sweet and overwhelming. I was unable to finish a 22oz in one sitting.

3.97/5  rDev +1%

Very dark brown without much of a head. Strong vanilla nose with some chocolate but mostly vanilla and lots and lots of it.

This is truly a dessert beer, sweet and sticky with a soft, smooth feel to it. Vanilla flavor is almost over the top. Burnt sugar hides behind the vanilla. Somehow they managed to get creme brulee into a bottle. It's definitely a sipper for after dinner.

I don't think many will be neutral about this one but for me, it was nice.

4.21/5  rDev +7.1%

22oz bottle into a tulip.

Pours black with a thick tan head. Head fades quickly, leaving some lacing around the edges.

Smells is dominated by vanilla and caramel. Some burnt sugar and butterscotch. Lactose is noticable. Very sweet.

Tastes like a latte. Vanilla and caramel come trough strong again. Toffee or butterscotch flavors are noticeable. A definite hop presence as well. Alcohol is there a little at the end.

Mouthfeel is creamy with some carbonation. Exactly as I expected it to feel.

Overall drinkablity is high. If you're into milk stouts or sweet stouts, this is for you. Possibly the sweetest beer I've had, so this definitely appeases my sweet tooth. Not sure if I could drink these all night but it is an excellent experience.

4.92/5  rDev +25.2%

Creme Brulee Imperial Milk Stout is an excellent dessert beer, NOT a session beer at all. I've only seen this available in large pint bottles and is a seasonal summer release brewed by the wonderfully creative folks at Southern Tier. Pours a dark brown with decent clarity and a negligible head. The smell/nose is INCREDIBLE! The second you pour this your slapped in the face with overwhelming aromas of real vanilla beans. A first sip confirms what you smell and the back notes are full of toffee, java, and roasted nuts. The [mouth] feel is very common of other milk stouts; creamy with an appropriate amount of carbonation. The only downfall to this is that it is overwhelming after a while(as any real creme brulee is). If you like vanilla and good coffee I highly recommend this, I also recommend that you split it with some friends as the ABV is around 10% and finishing a whole pint yourself will leave you feeling a little gluttonous.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company