Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series)Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

Added by ph2001 on 07-12-2008

Reviews: 1,459 | Ratings: 4,565
3.53/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

Well, the first time I had this I thought it gave me diabetes it was so sweet. So I threw it in the cellar for a few years to teach it a lesson. Hopefully it learned that and it will be better. No date, but 3 or 4 years on it must have tamed this beast.

Pours a darker but not too dark colored fizzy head covering that fades pretty quickly, it tries to leave lacing but the alcohol shows it another thing or two, and it quickly disappears. The legs, however, are quite nice, and the beer is a dark essence of pitch black color, light keeps trying to get through but gets beaten down.

Nose, holy shit that's the essence of pure sugar! Like candied caramelized candy carmel... wow, candy kettle corn, brown sugar, molasses, plenty of creme brulee aromas, etc etc, oh and plain burnt sugar. It gets lots of cream aromas as well, milky cream and even a little eggy almost, but that could be my brain high on sugar vapors. Also lots of vanilla, lots and lots of vanilla like sugar marinated in vanilla and milk. Then some mild milk chocolate and cocoa aromas, and even a faint hint of espresso.

Taste, bgbggsshhsixjijsijsdofjodjfoajh, sorry sugar seizure! Wow sweet, candy up the... wait where does candy come from? Well there's just sugar everywhere, it's as sweet as I remember and maybe more. The 4 or so years in the cellar jail didn't tame this beast at all! Sugar, who doesn't love layers of sugar on layers of more sugar, brown sugar to start, molasses, candy, toffee, taffy even, caramlized sugar, candied caramel, and lots of creme brulee. Under all the sweet layers, and by layers I mean walls, comes a mild milk chocolate, more cream as well pretty creamy actually, no egg luckily, but again stacks of vanilla rolled in the sugar and cream and then burnt into cola syrup, and flan. Also hint of super sweet Brazillian style espresso. Finish is just ridiculous sweetness, sticky but not nearly as sticky as I thought, a bit more cream and vanilla, but tons more caramelized sugars, mild espresso dripped into pure caramel, and hint of warming booze.

Mouth is med to fuller bod, but like syrup, it even made my lips get that sticky feel like I just at a stack of pancakes covered in maple syrup, mild warming booze (only mild due to the huge eye popping syrupy sweetness), and decent carb.

Overall, well I am really mad at myself for cracking this by myself. If I somehow get through the whole bottle, I won't sleep for weeks, but at least I'll probably go for a 5 mile walk or clean the garage as I'll be so hyped on sugar. Hmmmm, maybe my Brazilian wife will like it since it's so sweet, let me see... her consensus, not too sweet (not surprisingly as she drinks ice wine and puts more than a 1/4 cup of sugar in one cup of coffee), just a bit too boozy and the espresso flavor is too much. Guess she won't be helping me finish it, I'm on my own. Too late to call in reinforcements, I guess I'll just cut it with lots of snacks and try to work my way through it.

4.47/5  rDev +13.7%

Wow, what an incredible beer! Of course I got robbed for it... $7 for 10 oz. glass at the Diamond in Brooklyn. I could have just bought a bottle, but in the end I guess it was worth it. Oh, and the bartender refused to give me a sample first, she said that would cost $2!!! But I digress. The 10 ounce glass was probably just the right serving, as it is sweet and any more would have been just a touch too much. It's really a dessert beer, although I enjoyed it right at the bar none the less. Massive amounts of vanilla, caramel, and sweetish, cocoa-accented malts are found in the nose. It actually kind of smells like cake! And that carries over into the flavor. Vanilla. Caramel. Cocoa. Sugar. Butter. Chocolate. And just an edge of roastiness underneath. It's sweet but it somehow manages to keep from becoming cloying, and that's at least due in part to the roasted malts. Remarkably smooth. Creamy. Utterly (pun intended) remarkable. That said, this is a very special beer, and would be perfect for special occassions. Valentines day. Christmas. And it makes an undeniable eye-opener for women who "don't like beer". Oh, and I wonder how this would be alongside Lindemann's Framboise - or even mixed together? I am definitely going to buy more of this!

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

650ml bottle

A - opaque, but clear, dark red-brown body with great reddish highlights under light. Smallish but durable tan head.

S - smells like a superb liqueur; vanilla and caramel dominate, but has good depth and complexity. I'd give it a 5 were it not for the alcohol, even though it is partially hidden.

T - like the smell, this is rather weet, but well-crafted with the flavors and aromas blending very nicely but in your mouth. Smooth, tiny bitter kick, liquid vanilla creme cake. Very sweet but I like it.

M - light carbonation; creamy smooth; medium+ body; some obvious warming from the high ABV.

O - A bit too sweet, but after all, it is a "creme brulee". Exceptionally smooth; unique flavor. Great dessert beer.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

On-tap 9/4/08 at Doherty's East Ave Irish Pub, in Pawtucket, RI, served in a snifter glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color, with a short off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of strong creamy chocolate and vanilla along with roasted malts.

T: The taste is very malty and sweet up front as you would expect from an "imperial milk stout" with strong milky flavors of chocolate and vanilla. There's a mild but complimentary hops presence that brings some balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, heavy body, light-to-medium carbonation, finish is sticky.

D: Tasty and flavorful, goes down dangerously easily, slightly filling, deceptively strong kick, very good representation of style, since this beer is so heavy, it's a good sipper to sit down and relax with and also works well as a desert beer.

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%

A: Pours an opaque jet black in color with some dark brown highlights and light amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a half finger tall tan head that quickly reduces to a small patch of very thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Strong aromas of butterscotch, vanilla, and caramel.

T: Strong flavors of caramel, brown sugar, heavy cream/whipped cream, and vanilla. The overall flavor is quite sweet but not cloying and very tasty. Very much reminds me of the flavors of creme brulee.

M: Just a touch heavier than medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Silky smooth.

O: This beer is quite easy to drink with the fairly high ABV extremely well hidden. Super enjoyable, I think of this beer as dessert with the sweetness and it delivers on the name/description. I have enjoyed this one since the first time I tried it and many of my family have grown to enjoy it as well after having me suggest they try it.

3.82/5  rDev -2.8%

Had on tap at Pinocchio's, Media, PA

On tap: major improvement from when I had it in a bottle. Again, poured a thick, chocolate brown with a nice tan head that retained for a little while, but almost disappeared mid-drink. Caramel and toffee in the nose, cream, and dark malts. Unlike the bottle, the taste matched the aroma more and was more enjoyable with almost no aftertaste. It tasted sweet and creamy, and well, like creme brulee, as the name would imply. Finishes dry and a bit bitter. Smooth, rich mouthfeel, and nicely drinkable.

2.99/5  rDev -23.9%

I believe this may be the most outrageously flavored malt beverage I've ever tasted. I won't go so far as to say "beer." Actually, a malt liqueur is exactly what it is. Start with a shot glass or a tiny wine glass of it. Chocolate milk taste, only intensified and scorched, and blended with some kind of blackened malt brew. To say this tastes like vanilla is like saying gulping 151 rum is kind of hot.

It's not totally sweet, it's just that the flavor seems to channel the sugar receptor right to the brain. I suppose this might be good with some equally sweet dessert so you could pretend this is Drambuie. I guess the key to whether you would score this high or not is how much you like that totally sugary sensation, like Mexican candy or Greek preserved fruit. I give it an "N" for Novelty.

Dark brown in color average carbonation in the glass and in the mouth. Some sharp notes which we may thank the carbonation for. Bitter aftertaste adds to the confusion. From the 22 oz bottle bought at Bottleworks in Seattle.

4.49/5  rDev +14.2%

Appearance: Dark brown, near black body with a thinnish, short-lived, light beige head.

Smell: Oh-so sweet-smelling aroma crammed with full notes of roast, vanilla beans, charred sugars, caramel, chocolate and burnt cream.

Taste: Strong flavors of dark caramel, chocolate, roast, unbaked cookie dough, honey-soaked oven-toasted nuts, and fresh vanilla. Tons of sweetness throughout. Southern Tier, like the Indians, used every part of the vanilla bean. Creamy milk, fire-licked sugar crust. Touch of roasty bitterness, but, let's be honest, nowhere near the level needed to even begin to temper the dessert-like sweetness. All of the flavors race across the palate on the way to the coffee-ish finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Medium-low carbonation. Creamy, velvety, succulent mouthfeel.

Drinkability: All kinds of fantastic. Very yummy, very luscious, very enjoyable. Highly recommended, but beware, as this is a true love it or hate it brew. Hopefully, you'll be in the love it camp.

3.65/5  rDev -7.1%

Tarantula brownish black with blood red highlights. The beer is anything but a black hole and appears barely opaque when backlit with afternoon sunshine. Atop the liquid sits a golden brown sugar colored crown that gets the job done, including leaving attractive sheets of tattered lace on the upper reaches of the glass.

My nostrils don't have to get anywhere near the glass to appreciate the aroma. The beer smells like a flavored coffee drink that's dominated by caramel. I suppose it also smells like creme brulee, but I've only had that dessert once and that was more than 20 years ago. Do I smell coconut as well? Odd.

I can see how Creme Brulee is a polarizer. It's both different and delicious, but it's starting to wear out its welcome as the ounces cruise by. It doesn't seem possible that the brewers created this flavor profile with nothing more than dark caramel malt, vanilla beans and lactose. Then again, why not?

Creme Brulee is billed as an Imperial Milk Stout, but it doesn't really taste like it. That whole burnt sugar/creme caramel/vanilla vibe takes it in an entirely new direction. For my money, Southern Tier's Imperial chocolate stout (Choklat), Imperial coffee stout (Jahva) and Imperial oatmeal stout (Oat) are much, much better. Those first two are outstanding.

It's weird how I still taste coconut. That's in addition to the flavors described above, plus vanilla and melted milk chocolate. The Columbus and Horizon hops provide a background bitterness that keeps the beer from being overly sweet. In the end, it doesn't all come together as well as I'd like.

Considering the style and the ABV, the mouthfeel fails to close the deal. It's a fraction thin and isn't as creamy as it should be. The carbonation wouldn't be as noticeable in a plusher, more velvety brew.

The Black Water Series from Southern Tier contains some of the best beer on planet Earth. Unfortunately, Creme Brulee misses the mark (although not by much) because it pushes the envelope too far in one direction. Some love it, some hate it. I can take it or leave it.

3.94/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Southern Tier glass. Pours black with a tan head that settled to a thin covering that clung to the sides. A little lacing on the glass as I drank it.

Aroma has a very strong vanilla and butterscotch presence, maybe a little chocolate but it's tough to get anything else over the Creme Brulee flavors. Smells pretty much like a Creme Brulee in beer form.

Taste has vanilla with some chocolate and some roasted grains in the bitter finish. The butterscotch isn't as pronounced as in the nose but it's still there. Has a sweetness to it as well which was expected. Pretty much tastes like Creme Brulee.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is not great, it's a very strong flavor and pretty sweet. 22 oz is definitely too much for one person, splitting it with several people would be good.

Overall this is pretty much exactly like Creme Brulee in a bottle. It is good in moderate amounts but gets overwhelming after a bit. A 4 oz sample for desert would be great. It seems like they hit their target of Creme Brulee pretty well though.

4.04/5  rDev +2.8%

Review from notes.

A: Pours a deep black color with a mocha colored head on top, decent head retention. Some foamy lacing forms on the sides that reduces to a very thin layer by the end.

S: Wow, incredibly aromatic. Lots of sugar, vanilla, caramel, and a little bit of spice. Really does not smell like any beer I have had before. In a word, rich.

T: More of the same form the aroma. Extremely sweet, with vanilla, caramel, and toasted sugar. Rich and cloying.

M: Medium to full bodied, and filling. Rather creamy, but still has some nice carbonation.

O: Liked it more than I was expecting actually. No way I could drink a whole 22, let alone a pint, but with a rich dessert, this could be really good.

4.71/5  rDev +19.8%

Props to Jw347, cheers Jonathan!

Pours mahogany with a pinky of tan head. Above average head retention & average lacing

S: Rich caramel & coffee, & a touch of coconut; & a touch of cinnamon as this warms; yummy

T: Yummy caramel & a touch of coffee, some leafy hops hiding in the background up front. Coffee grounds do battle with chocolate & more caramel as this warms. Finishes much caramel & creamy chocolate notes. This is pulled off nicely

MF: Medium bodied, some stickyness, semi-creamy & low carbonation

Drinks pretty good, I could pound a few with dessert, a cheese tray or even a red curry. Will ding it a bit, because it would grown old after about 2 pints as a stand alone session beer. The ABV is artfully hidden

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

Picked this one up in a trade recently. I had been dying to try it as I had heard some mixed things regarding it. Needless to say I just had to get it. Twenty two ounce bomber that was served at cellar temp and poured into an oversized wine glass.

One of the best pours I have seen in a long time. Rich dark brown, essentially opaque with a huge head of off white foam that reached a height of three inches before finally deciding to come down to around two inches and leave it at that. Huge amounts of side glass lacing just ringing the inside of the glass and thoroughly coating everything that was in sight.

The aroma was just insane. I am not even sure what to make of this one here. Rich and bitter vanilla flavor. A touch of light alcohol, but this was very well hidden. Huge aroma here, my wife complained later in the night she could smell it an hour after the bottle was empty. This was the thickest, most bitter vanilla smell you could imagine. The flavor was more of the same. Now I have heard mixed reviews about this and I can really see why. You have to take it for what it is. This is a dessert beer, this bottle should be shared with like four people as by itself, this is way too much for one person. I was really struggling towards the end, as the flavor was soo insanely sweet, maple sugar, vanilla, molasses, hints of caramel, I mean if it was a kind of sugar it was dumped in this in great quantity. There was a smooth, delicate feel on this with more then adequate carbonation making up the majority of the body. But still, even the aftertaste hung with you for what seemed like a day and a half. A sipper for sure, but something that needs to be shared.

Overall not bad at all, not the best thing, but for what the style is, this was actually pretty damn good. It looked and smelled fantastic, it was just the overall volume of this bottle was a bit much for me. Something akin to a KRE would be much better for this as it is needs to be sampled in limited amounts. A must try though for the novelty of it.

3.97/5  rDev +1%

Modest beige head. The liquid is near black--no light passes through the glass. Slippery lace that slides back into the head.

This truly smells like creme brulee: very sweet vanilla with caramelized table sugar.

Lots of burnt sugar flavor--too burnt for a good creme brulee. There's an element of coffee/mocha to the bitterness. The body is rich, almost oily. Light hop in the background.

1.47/5  rDev -62.6%

A: The pour is a dark brown color with a khaki colored head that settles down to a thin layer.

S: The amount of butterscotch, caramel, vanilla and burnt sugar in the nose is nearly unbearable. I felt like I got a cavity just from smelling it.

T: I thought the nose was bad, but jeeze. This is pure, unadulterated sugar. Butterscotch, burnt sugar, vanilla, caramel, and some sugar on top for good measure. A bit creamy, but who really cares?

M: The body is medium with a low carbonation and a tooth rotting sweetness.

D: I'm pretty sure I am diabetic after having taken a few sips of this beer. So unbearably sweet and sugary without any sort of balance.

4.47/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass. A 2009 bottle that says the ABV is 10.0%.

a - Pours a dark brown with a little bit of carbonation and 1.5 fingers of tan head that has great retention and lacing.

s - This is one amazing smelling beer. Very sweet with lots of caramel, butterscotch, vanilla, and malts. Maybe a little chocolate.

t - Follows the nose. Lots of butterscotch and very sweet. Some vanilla and malts as well. Aftertaste is more caramel and butterscotch with hints of booze.

m - Medium to full body with light carbonation. Very thick and creamy.

d - Thought this was a great stout. If you like sweet smells and tastes, you'd probably like this; if you like butterscotch or caramel, you'd probably love it. The only knock I can see against it is a 22 oz. bottle being too much to drink by yourself due to the sweetness. Personally this isn't a problem for me as I enjoy sweet caramel/butterscotch, but I know some people who can't. Either way, this could be a great stout to share with some friends with dessert.

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

I do so enjoy beers that stay true to their names. This 'un pours a straight obsidian topped by a finger or so of light tan foam. The nose is a dessert in its own right, comprising buttercream frosting, vanilla, cane sugar, chocolate syrup, maple syrup, molasses, sweet toffee, powdered sugar, and a vague sense of french toast or funnel cake. You know, sweet breads and whatnot. If I could literally eat smells, this would near the top of my list in terms of desireability. Happily intrigued, a taste must be had. A lot of the sweeter notes are still there, but are subdued, allowing some light roasted malts to come through, ensuring a more well-rounded, if somewhat weaker, tasting experience. The body is a rather hefty medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a rich, velevety feel. Damn, I enjoy this brew. Even better, the smell tends to linger in my apartment, allowing me to enjoy its sweet, sweet smell for a few days hence. Good times.

3.87/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I really enjoy scouring the shelves at the Friendly Greek Bottle Shop since I never know what I might find to drink & review next! Of course, I would have preferred more CANs and fewer bottles, but c'est la guerre.

From the bottle: "Imperial Stout Brewed with Vanilla Beans & Natural Flavor"; "25 [deg.] Plato[,] 2-row barley[,] dark caramel malt[,] vanilla bean[,] lactose sugar[,]Columbus & horizon hops[,] natural flavor".

I Pop!ped the cap & gave it an aggro pour befitting my frustration with Th' Stillers' play this evening. This raised just over a finger of foamy, deep-brown head with moderate retention. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44), allowing ZERO light penetration. Nose was very sweet with loads of vanilla and caramel evident. Mouthfeel was medium. Phew, was this ever sweet! The caramel was the most prevalent taste, followed by vanilla and a slight smokiness and dark chocolate. Oh my. This made me feel like I was going to have a sugary overdose. It is absolutely a Sweet Stout. no question. Finish was cloyingly sweet & I found myself wondering what might accompany this. I might have coffee as an accompaniment since as it warmed, it began to take on a pronounced chocolatiness along with the caramel and vanilla. I would consider this to be a dessert beer, but not one that would require an additional dessert to go with it. This was plenty on its own.

4.29/5  rDev +9.2%

A - Coca-Cola black. Almost no head to speak of.

S - Whoa, this could pass for a shot of insulin in a pinch. Butter scotch - HUGE butter scotch - and white chocolate.

T - A liquefied dessert. White chocolate chip cookies, heavy cream, vanilla pudding, latte. Extra dark maple syrup in the finish.

M - Syrupy sweet and super smooth. Marbled pound cake flavors through the finish. Almost no alcohol at all on your palate.

O - Sooo sweet. Definitely needs something to counter balance the profile like a big blue cheese, pretzels, salted nuts, or a spicy Asian snack mix.

4.04/5  rDev +2.8%

On draft at Capone's in Philadelphia.

The beer is dark brown with light crimson highlights, and a thin, wispy, tan head. Spotty, random lacing left on the sides of the snifter. The aroma...wow. One can detect this beer from several feet away. Huge aroma of coconut, flan, maple syrup, brown sugar. The label speaks truth...this is creme brulee. Good flavor, though less enjoyable than the aroma. Booze is prevalent throughout. Sweet and rich, this brew is akin to a gourmet dessert. A small portion is perfect. Honestly, this is an intriguing and creative beer. Well worth trying.

4.17/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured into my Fathead's sampler glass from the Steel City Big Pour fest...I'm sharing with family and friends. Pours pitch blacdk with a tan mocha head, fine even lacing scattered on the sides of the sampler glass. Aroma is full of creamy milk chocolate, caramelized nearly burn sugars, a touch of alcohol. This beer smells sweeter than dessert and tastes like cream filled cocolate/burnt marshmellow crusted in caramel. A dessert beer that I wouldn't drink a 22 ounce bottle of unless I wanted to pay for it. Mouthfeel is creamy syrupy but so worth it, I don't think it's designed forme but it's delicious. Drinkability overall agan it's way to sweet and cloying to drink in number or volume but if you taste it your amazed with what Southern Tier is doing with beer.

3.7/5  rDev -5.9%

Bomber that I had in the fridge and pretty much forgot about until asked to bring some brews to the family get together on Thanksgiving. I decided dessert was the best time to open this up and share with the family.

Poured into several small wine glasses, this brew appears a dark brown color with decent clarity. When held to the light, it displays some ruby coloring. The head is creamy tan that retains fairly well and as it recedes leaves some spots of lace on the glass.

The smell of this brew absolutely reeks of butterscotch. Nothing but butterscotch is all I smell for most of the duration with small hints of vanilla and an indication of fruity alcohol in the background. If you enjoy werthers originals, this might be a beer for you.

The taste of this brew is dark fruity alcohol tasting somewhat of plum but man is the alcohol right out front greeting you with each sip. A dark grain flavor is present which is somewhat bitter that resides inside the mouth almost with a taste of coffee and dark bitter chocolate. Citrus hops are in the background with a faint vanilla flavoring.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation. The flavors are certainly in line with what I have come to expect from Southern Tier's "Blackwater series." These stouts are stouts that are highly flavored that push the limits of what I am comfortable with enjoying but are fairly decent intro beers for people to try that might not necessarily enjoy dark beers.

4.61/5  rDev +17.3%

Pours a solid black with a very minimal head that disappears almost instantly. Aroma is burnt sugar, caramel, vanilla, a little chocolate, and bit of alcohol as it warms. Smells exactly as advertised, like a sugary desert. Taste follows the smell to a tee. I had to look at the bottle twice to see if this was artificially flavored, and it appears not to be. Tastes like dessert, gets a bit sweet towards the end of the glass. Thick sticky mouthfeel, maybe a bit grainy as in grains of sugar. Full body and ample carbonation. Certainly a different beer. I enjoyed it immensely, but is not something I would drink often. I would call this a dessert beer, one to be sipped and enjoyed. Another one outside the box from Southern Tier, Great Job!

4.16/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Pitch black body with a small, bubbly head and lots of sticky lacing.

S - SUPER sweet dessert sugars. Creme brulee, butterscotch pudding, caramelized, sweet sugars and alcohol. Hints of tootsie rolls and vanilla extract. Wow.

T - Creamy, sweet, burnt sugar. Brown sugar and egg custards, like flan. Caramel, butterscotch and toffee notes there too. Warm sugary alcohol and vanilla bean ice cream.

M - Soft, smooth and sweet with a sticky medium body. A bit warming with the abv appropriate to the level of sweetness and style. The abv helps the bold character along.

O - Incredibly balanced dessert beer with big flavors.

3.62/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I tried this from the tap at Yogi's in Dublin, OH. It poured a nearly opaque dark with off white head that did not leave a lace. The scent had hints of vanilla extract and sweetness. The taste was a bit on and finished acidic. I haven't had creme Brule in a while but the taste to me seemed more like an alcohol induced worthers butterscotch candy. The Mouthfeel was lighter in body with good carbonation. Overall it's ok I wouldn't have it again.

Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series) from Southern Tier Brewing Company