Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series)Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series)
3.91/5
Very Good

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

Added by ph2001 on 07-12-2008

Ratings: 4,607 |  Reviews: 1,471
4.14/5  rDev +5.9%

bomber into an oversized wine glass...

Ap- pours almost black with a nice tan head about 1/4 inch

Ar- seriously the best part of this beer and maybe the best smelling beer I have ever smelt (lets assume smelt is a word!) and did I mention it smells really good?

T-hmmmm. very sweet, caramel, molasses, sugar, milk, sweet malts and sugar!

M- medium bodied and sticky

O- a very delicious beer, just crazy different from most any other beer I have tried. Glad I split this one with the wife. This is for sure a dessert beer as it is way to sweet to have more than 1. Can only imagine how good this would be with some vanilla ice cream.... :)

2.4/5  rDev -38.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

9.6% ABV and 288 calories per bottle. I was attracted to tasting something different and surprise how well it smelled after opening the bottle. The taste was extremely off-putting - vanilla and coffee sounds attractive but the blunt caramel/butterscotch favor that kicks in does not match well with the combination. Easily one of the sweetest beers I've ever had. To be fair, you get used to it the more you consume, but it was just a weird taste at first. This is one combination I'll probably never see again and I do not regret trying it, however I would not purchase again.

4.21/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours jet black with a thin tan film for a head.

Smells of maple, vanilla, caramel, and coffee with cream and sugar.

Flavor is of brown sugar, vanilla, maple, caramel, a bit of coffee, some oakey bitterness, and a hint of Irish cream.

Full body with a light sting of carbonation on the roof of the mouth. Slight boozy warmth.

A really delicious and decadent stout, but overwhelmingly a beer-as-desert experience. This isn't even trying to be anything but rich and sweet. If that doesn't sound like your cup of tea...er, beer, then you won't like it. Personally I'm enjoying this very much, it hides its strength pretty well too, but even I have to admit that this is something that you'll want to share, and not just because of the potency.

1.75/5  rDev -55.2%

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

4.75/5  rDev +21.5%

3.45/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.32/5  rDev -15.1%

Bough a bottle of Southern Tier Creme Brulee, honestly I've had a few of Southern Tier's beers and they just don't really do it for me. They're nothing special. I've never had one that has blown me away. There's never been anything awful either. It's just I find they're pretty average. If you're looking for a good upstate NY beer, you are better off with Ommegang or Middle Ages, a pretty underrated brewery in Syracuse that has a lot of good offerings.

Appearance is very dark and looks like coffee. The head dissipates pretty quickly.

The smell is probably the most appealing thing about this beer. Smells sweet but pleasant. It smells like cake along with butterscotch. But honestly, the smell is better than the taste.

The taste at first was extremely off-putting. Easily one of the sweetest beers I've ever had. To be fair, you get used to it the more you consume, but it was just a weird taste at first. The most dominant taste is butterscotch, along with vanilla and a little caramel too.

The 9.5% alcohol is hidden fairly well in this beer. I would have this beer again, but it wouldn't be the first I would reach for. It gets better as you go through the bottle, but be ready for the first sip cause it's really sweet.

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

3.46/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours dark black with thin coffee head

Smells great. Smells strong of butterscotch and vanilla

Tastes like vanilla butterscotch and coffee. Really really sweet.

Overall a little too intense for me in the sweetness department which says a lot. A must try for people that like sweet/dessert style beers.

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

3.81/5  rDev -2.6%

A - Looks super dark, but not pitch black, not a lot of lacing, a nice pour

S - It smells like dessert, I mean I couldn't smell it enough. I wanted to share the smell with the world, smells like cake, I am not kidding, it's a very strong smell, but an inviting one.

T - Super super sweet, the sweetness hits you first like a punch to the kisser, its straight up burnt sugar or burnt marshmallows , second is hints of vanilla with caramel, the vanilla and caramel go away and we are left with the taste of the burnt sugary sensation along with some malt, and just the slightest hint of alcohol

M - Super chewy....think and smooth, creamy, not the easiest going down cuz its heavy, u need to sip it, it is not meant to be chugged down in a few seconds

O - the taste is very strong and I think it took away from the experience a little bit, I will try it again later at a different temp (when I had this it was over 50 degrees I'm sure). It still wasn't bad, I think you actually get used to the taste as you drink it. The smell and mouth feel are incredible, in fact the smell itself makes it really. Worth a try if u like something really sweet. I'm also gonna try it with some vanilla ice cream next time.

2.79/5  rDev -28.6%

Glassware: Odell's Belgian Style Snifter.

Appearance: Black in color, this beer is basically opaque. An aggressive pour produced a small head tan in color, with rocky bubbles that diminished quickly. No lacing to speak of.

Smell: Initial thought right away is cake batter, burnt sugar, marshmallow, and ice cream. Wow, this smells sweet.

Taste: Beyond sweet, that is all. A weird chemically burnt sugar taste. BLECH.

Mouthfeel: Trying to taste enough of this to get an idea of the mouthfeel ... not easy. Syrupy body with average carbonation. Good ...

Overall: My god. This is the sweetest beer I've ever had. I know a lot of people must like this, to achieve the rating it has gotten ... but holy shit. It made me cringe it was so sweet. It made me cringe when I even thought about tasting it the next day. My tasting buddies tried to salvage it by putting vanilla ice cream scoops in it. Eventually, we chose to drain pour. It smells nice, it has good mouthfeel, and it looks fine ... but I can't get over dat sweetness.

1.87/5  rDev -52.2%

growler pour into a pint glass
courtesy of JC

A: pours completely black, topped with a cappuccino colored head that drops to a thin film and leaves a little bit of lace.
S: Butterscotch, vanilla, smells sweet
T: tastes very sweet, cloying, lots of vanilla and caramel, kristine thinks of butterscotch, a little bit of dark roasted malt in the background along with a hint of alcohol heat.
M: Creamy and mouthcoating with a little astringency.
O: Reviews had made me think this was a very polarizing beer and now that I have tasted it, I can see why. If they dialed back the sweetness/vanilla/creme brulee flavor by half and made it more of a sweet stout with some of those flavors, then I think it would be a much better beer. As it is, this comes across as a horrible mess. I can't imagine drinking even a 6 or 8 ounce pour, it is just too sweet/overwhelming. This is a drain pour for me.

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series) from Southern Tier Brewing Company
Beer rating: 3.91 out of 5 with 4,607 ratings