Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series)Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series)
3.91/5

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

Added by ph2001 on 07-12-2008

Ratings: 4,601 |  Reviews: 1,470
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 650 ml bottle into a snifter.

A: Black. Pours a 1 finger, foamy, brown head. Settles quickly, leaving a nice ring around the rim of the glass. Slight spotty lacing quickly retreats into the body of the brew.

S: Roasted coffee, peaty malt, lots of vanilla.

T: Tastes much like it smells. Malt has a peaty pungent character to it, char roasted espresso, a little licorice, vanilla not as formidable as the nose gives off....which is a good thing. Just a nice sweet hint of it.

M: Hearty, full, and thick. Pungent throughout the experience, with a short break for a little sweet bite right in the middle. A little bitingly bitter in the finish.

D: Sip and savor.

Atmosphere is really nice. Dark with a tight, foamy head. Only slight lacing though. Nose is roasted coffee, charred grains, and strong character of vanilla. Coffee, licorice, and peat, cut with a hint of vanilla on the palate. Overall, this is a really good quaff.

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

4.22/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Had on-tap at One-Eyed Betty's in Ferndale, Michigan as part of a paddle.

Appearance: Pretty good looking beer -- not completely black like most Imperial Stouts seem to be, but it was nearly there with some ruby on the edges. A kind of bright, slightly off-white head floats on the glass. Lacing is patchwork. A good looking beer, but not Creme Brulee's highlight.

Smell: Holy shit. As noted at the top, I had this as part of a sampler, but I could smell this beer in particular from a few feet away before it was set on my table... this has to be the most pungent beer I've smelled. I'm not too sure I've whiffed a beer so potent from such a distance before -- that's a good and bad thing. If you love creme brulee, well damn, you've got it. This smells just like a creme brulee (or Boston Cream Pie), and that's all there is to it. Very sweet.

Taste/feel: Basically exactly like the taste, but some roasted malts come into play as well. There's virtually no bitterness to speak of, I find, and it is quite sweet. On the plus side, I don't think that this at all has a syrupy sweet sort of feel to it, which is something I was scared of going in. It tastes like creme brulee with a bit of roasty coffee notes... I have no idea how else to explain it. The name is very appropriate for this.

Would I buy a 22oz bottle of this though? No, not unless I happened to be sharing it. This is pretty much the very definition of a dessert beer -- sweet, tasty, awesome stuff. The ABV doesn't come at *all* in the aroma, and it may only be traceable in the taste due to a very slight warmth. This is another fine beer from Southern Tier, and one that any dessert/chocolate fan should enjoy... it's just hard to see me buying this again knowing that it's only in 22oz bottles.

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Fitting appearance for the style. Opaque dark brown, almost black, with a heavy and thick tan head.

Smell: Smell is the standout feature here, I noticed the caramel and vanilla aroma as I was pouring it. Smelled like candy. Normally I'd find this a bit offputting, but I did pay for "creme brulee" stout.

Taste: The alcohol is a bit overpowering for my taste, hard to notice the caramel/vanilla (other than the smell) or even the coffee notes of the stout. I was expecting something a little sweeter.

Mouthfeel: Feel the alcohol sting a bit, but otherwise nothing notable. Stoutlike.

Overall: I was disappointed with this one. Admittedly, stouts are not my favorite styles of beer but I've had enough of them to understand the style. Thought the beer smelled great but was disappointed with the taste, the alcohol was not masked and overpowered the beer.

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

2.75/5  rDev -29.7%

4.04/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance: Deep brown/black, small but solid head. Opaque. Looks tasty.

Smell: Definitely creamy and sugary. Actually smells a LOT like creme brulee. Not much as far as familiar beer-y smells, but that's not a bad thing here. I honestly can't stop thinking about cracking the caramelized top. Yum. Naturally, there's some caramel there, too.

Taste: Sweetness and bitterness up front, mingles into mild bitterness on the way out. A nice smoothness.Well-balanced by my measure except for a moment midway through the taste when the bitterness overwhelms the sweet side, but only for a second.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, smooth for the most part, carbonation just right for me.

Overall: I really like this. Definitely a desserty beer, but good. 9/10 would drink again.

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series) from Southern Tier Brewing Company
Beer rating: 3.91 out of 5 with 4,601 ratings