Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series)Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

Added by ph2001 on 07-12-2008

Ratings: 4,584 |  Reviews: 1,463

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%

A: Pours an opaque jet black in color with some dark brown highlights and light amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a half finger tall tan head that quickly reduces to a small patch of very thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Strong aromas of butterscotch, vanilla, and caramel.

T: Strong flavors of caramel, brown sugar, heavy cream/whipped cream, and vanilla. The overall flavor is quite sweet but not cloying and very tasty. Very much reminds me of the flavors of creme brulee.

M: Just a touch heavier than medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Silky smooth.

O: This beer is quite easy to drink with the fairly high ABV extremely well hidden. Super enjoyable, I think of this beer as dessert with the sweetness and it delivers on the name/description. I have enjoyed this one since the first time I tried it and many of my family have grown to enjoy it as well after having me suggest they try it.

1.62/5  rDev -58.8%

22 oz bomber, poured into a snifter.

Before reading this review, please understand this is an extreme beer that *will* divide the crowd. I decided to write down notes and review it later, as I might have been too emotional on the night itself. I wanted to give it a more honest chance than just a 1.0 in every category and say it's the worst beer I've ever had. It's not, but boy is it close.

A: Okay, I suppose. Quite thin-looking with obvious reddish notes. Foamy, bubbly, soapy head.

S: WHOA-HOA-HOA! Absolutely horrendous. I think the best way to describe it, is the vanilla-scented candle from Hell. Huge waft of artificial vanilla essence with a vague hint of hops are all I get from this. For being so artificial, it's also surprisingly stale. It smells like the butterscotch and vanilla sweets your grandparents used to keep in the TV cabinet where temperatures would reach the upper eighties, together with their collection of rubber bands and potpourri. Sickening.

T: I suppose you could live with the smell if the taste was up to scratch, but sadly I was equally disappointed. The stench of rotten and chemical vanilla in your nose contradicts with the mostly hoppy flavors you get in your mouth at first, which is then washed away by booze to lead to a sandy dry finish. I don't know what this is supposed to be, but I sure as heck don't like it. Absolutely lip-curlingly vile.

M: I suppose this isn't over-carbonated and therefore has an okay mouthfeel, but this is sadly one of these numbers I have to fiddle around with to give it the low score I feel it deserves.

O: Knowing that a lot of people aren't big fans of Southern Tier's emulation style of brewing, I did rather like their Oat, Choklat and Mokah when I tried them. This however is just a swing and a miss for me. A big swing, I'll grant them that, and this is one of those beers that probably go well with people that have either an immense sweet tooth, or just... well... sorry, I can't begin to imagine how anyone could like this. That is - however - just my opinion, and I like the fact that Southern Tier either goes big or goes home. Big kudos on that!

Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series) from Southern Tier Brewing Company