Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series)Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series)
Liked This Beer
3.91 w/ 4,601 ratings

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

Added by ph2001 on 07-12-2008

Liked:
3.91/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 4,601 |  Reviews: 1,470
3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

3.71/5  rDev -5.1%

Alright; I've heard just about all there is to hear about this beer. I'm walking into it open-minded; I think this is my first beer from Southern Tier. Expectations are high; I like the sound of it. Acquired at a local beer store for $15.00 (this shit's hard to come by in Los Angeles). 9.60% ABV confirmed. I don't have a snifter on-hand, so I'm serving the 650ml brown glass bottle with a standard pressure cap into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in Los Feliz. Reviewed live.

Served after a period of rest from the refrigerator and allowed to warm over the course of its consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger tan colour head of good cream and thickness, and great retention considering the high ABV. Body colour is a nontransparent opaque solid black. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Pretty appealing for the style.

Sm: Sweet Jesus, that is one hell of an aroma. Overpowering creme brulee: custard, vanilla, sweet sugar, and luxurious dessert. Staggeringly appealing. I can't wait to try it. Buttery as all hell. I'm wary of the sweetness, but I'll bite. It's exactly as it should be considering the aims of the beer.

T: Heavy vanilla sweetness with custard and buttery qualities abound. Yes, that definitely tastes like creme brulee. And it's not as artificial as some have noted. Cream, custard, sugar, whipped cream, sinful vanilla dessert notes. Wow. Maltiness is hidden actually; I couldn't tell you if the malts were dark or light based on the taste alone. I assume they're dark. No roast at all. No real chocolate. Just creme brulee throughout, like a tasteful dessert wine. Definitely meets its aims, but the sweetness is quite over the top. I don't know if I want to finisht his whole bottle. No yeast or alcohol comes through.

Mf: Smooth, wet, creamy, clean, sinful. As buttery and sugary as they come. Suits the flavour profile near perfectly. Good thickness and carbonation.

Dr: Wow. This really does taste like creme brulee. It's right up there in the best specialty beers, for sure. The drinkability, however, is quite limited. Frankly, they bottled it in too large a bottle. No one in their right mind would want to consume the entirety of this bottle alone. I of course will do so because I'm not a pretentious twat who drainpours everything that isn't good enough for my posh lips. It hides its ABV remarkably well and would pair brilliantly with actual creme brulee, but the drinkability is very limited. This is one hell of a beer and it's certainly unique. I don't think anyone denies that. For that reason alone, every beer fanatic needs to try it at least once. Preferably in a small pour, though. This is a dentist's nightmare.

B

4.75/5  rDev +21.5%

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

3.35/5  rDev -14.3%

Pours a deep, deep brown, nearly black color, with a tan-ish head that dissipated much quicker than I would expect. Body looked to be very syrupy, thick, and sticky. Sweet aroma, full of vanilla and cream with hints of caramel and burnt brown sugar on the back burner. Taste is heaviest on the vanilla, with a slight milkiness to it, followed by caramel, brown sugar, and toffee notes coming in at the end. The vanilla taste is very, very dense and syrupy and sweet, almost sickeningly sweet. It feels like my teeth are being coated with layers of sugar. The 9.6% ABV starts coming through as the beer warms up and it makes the heavy vanilla sweetness even heavier and a little too overbearing. As expected, thick, syrup-like body with carbonation that was a little too low.

Wonderful smell, wonderful idea - I love creme brulee. However, I feel the execution was off on this one. It was a little too overpowering with the vanilla and the sweetness wasn't balanced, thus making it difficult to drink during the lower half of the glass. I'd like to see this one toned down and refined a bit, I think it has a chance to be very good.

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series) from Southern Tier Brewing Company
Beer rating: 74.1% out of 100 with 4,601 ratings