Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series)Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series)
Liked This Beer
3.91 w/ 4,601 ratings

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

Added by ph2001 on 07-12-2008

Liked:
3.91/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 4,601 |  Reviews: 1,470
4.15/5  rDev +6.1%

Purchased a couple bottles of this beer with the intent on using one to bake with and the other to share with my girl. We're sharing one now and I have to say it's rather enjoyable although I can't see myself drinking a whole bottle so I'm glad I'm sharing this one.

It smells as advertised, extremely sweet. Lots of caramel and vanilla. Vanilla extract strong. Some maltiness but the sweet notes overpower everything. I also get some booze and a little chocolate as well.

The taste bakes the nose up. Vanilla, caramel, sugar, and more sugar. Some roastiness on the back end and a little bit of malt as well. I also get some bitter chocolate and a bit more booze on the palate than on the nose. The mouthfeel is heavy, really heavy. It's almost too heavy but it suits the style so I forgive the weight of it.

It's a really interesting beer and one I'm glad to have tried. As I said earlier, I don't think I could drink a whole bomber on my own but this is certainly a beer I'll drink once or twice a year. Once or twice will be it though. I can't wait to eat the brownies my girlfriend is going to make with the other bottle.

Creme Brulee, 22oz bomber. 2011 bottling split into two wine glasses with the wife.

A: Pours a very dark opaque black, viscous and creamy, with a small ring of mocha colored head and good alcohol legs on the glass.

S: Holy caramel Batman. Lots of sugary sweetness upfront and throughout; caramel, toffee, vanilla, brown sugar, burnt & toasted caramel/sugar, sweet cream.

T: Dark roasted malts show up a little more here but this beer is still all Creme Brulee all the time...toasted sugar, vanilla, and cream. Hints of coffee and hop bitterness arrive on the finish.

There is the slightest of alcohol presence on both the nose and tongue, it actually cuts through the sweetness a little and is a welcome addition to the flavor profile.

MF: Pretty moderate-full body with some sticky viscosity. Carbonation isn't bad either, it definitely helps the beer not seem as syrupy.

O: Good but f-ing sweet. I think splitting this bomber 4 ways is probably best. A sipper and a darn unique beer.

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

4.15/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance is chocolate brown, almost black with a finger of tan head that has some retention. There is definitely toffee flavors in the nose. The initial taste is very sweet... almost like creme brulee (call me Captain Obvious); it is followed by some dry roasted hop bitterness that becomes more potent as the beer warms.

4.36/5  rDev +11.5%

22 oz bottle courtesy of mgbickel, thanks Mike! Pours black with a fast fading tan head. Spotty lacing.

Nose is straight up melted caramel...with a few tablespoons of sugar thrown in just in case it wasnt quite sweet enough! Smells awesome, just like a creme brulee...wow!

Taste is as expected, caramel over the top. Vanilla, sugar and burnt brown sugar rounds things out nicely. It is sweet, but not quite as sweet as I was expecting. I love their Blackwater series and this one is right up there with most of the others. Finish is burnt and a little bitter...lingers a long time. ABV is totally hidden, it is dessert-licious for sure, but I could drink this anytime; including breakfast! Very nice, delicious beverage here.

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series) from Southern Tier Brewing Company
Beer rating: 74.1% out of 100 with 4,601 ratings