Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States | website

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

Added by ph2001 on 07-12-2008

Reviews: 1,429 | Ratings: 4,476
4.94/5  rDev +25.7%

A- Like an oil slick! A one finger, coffee colored head that dissapears rather quickly before your eyes. Not much in the way of sticky lacing, but sensual non-the-less. A nice toffee ring forms around the glass, floating gently upon the black as night brew!

S- Vanilla, marshmallow, candy corn and a touch of deep dark chocolate and coffee. Beautiful notes of burnt brown sugar and cream. Smells like really good vanilla, not just extract that alot of brewer's use and call it vanilla.

T- Burnt cream, brown sugar, vanilla, toasted nuts, fresh cherry's, coffee and slight hints of cocoa. Indian corn, buttered popcorn, chocolate twizzlers and the best Boston Cream Doughnut you've ever eaten! This is reamarkable and brilliant! So creamy and rich! I'm not a big dessert guy, but I don't get why people always talk about not being able to drink a full bomber of this? I've had this fresh numerous times, and even with up to three yrs on it, and it always just absolutely floors me how insanely awesome this Stout is!

M- Creamy, oily, and delicious! I love the way it coats the tongue and leaves that wonderful sweetness! Huge vanilla notes, burnt sugar, toffee and caramel! It doesn't get much better than this!

O- For those of you that don't dig sweet Imperial Stouts... I understand. But please quit buying up this beautiful brew so that I can get your share! I only wish they would barrel age some of this fantastic brew! I know for a fact this one gets better with age as I've had it with a few years on it... but it is unreal fresh as well!!! Pour this over some Cherry or Strawberry ice cream for the best float you've ever had! I'm gonna get a couple bottles of this and get it flat, and make ice pops out of it!!!

4.93/5  rDev +25.4%

Poured from a Bomber (22 oz) into a tulip. Bottle has ridiculously philosophical description that made me chuckle a bit.

A: Black with a mocha head. The darker the better in my book, and this is black in any light.

S: Nose is amazing. Vanilla custard desserts and chocolate. Vanilla is probably my favorite flavor, and in no beer has it ever been more abundant in the nose or taste than this one.

T: Dark chocolate, coffee, and vanilla custard deliciousness. It would be perfect if it had been oaked a little, and if it weren't so sweet. That's the thing with this beer, the reason why a lot of people don't like it as much as I do (and it pretty much ruined all other beers for my girlfriend, she went bananas over it), it's too sweet. Now I have a huge sweet tooth, and this was overly sweet for me by a bit, so I can see why it gets an 87, but I LOVE THE VANILLA, so it's an A+ in my book.

M: Full bodied and quite smooth, nearly perfect.

O: Loads and loads of my favorite flavor on earth, vanilla, so of course I'm going to give it an A+. Overly sweet, yes, but still absolutely delicious.

22oz bottle
Served in a snifter

A - It pours very dark brown, almost black.

S - The aroma is amazing! I get vanilla and caramel. It smells like dessert.

T - This is one instance where the beer tastes exactly like the smell. I get vanilla and caramel as the dominant flavors. Some roasted malt gets through the sweetness. The alcohol is well hidden. I would never have guessed this to be a 10%er.

M - Leaning more towards thick. It has a nice creamy texture.

O - Delicious! This is probably the best dessert beer I have had. I had this on top last summer for the first time and fell in love. I don't think I'd pound it all night. But a couple of these guys really caps off a meal.

Poured into DFH snifter.

Disclaimer: I've never had creme brûlée, the food.

A: Motor oil black body, no light showing through this one. A khaki, pecan color head which dissipates to a ring with some soapiness in the middle pretty quickly. leaving little lacing.

S: Unique smell--I'm assuming creme brulee, which again I've never had! SO much vanilla, butterscotch, and caramel. It's a really awesome aroma that I've never gotten on a beer before.

T: Awesome! Dark chocolate bitterness/dark coffee when it hits the tip of the tongue, with that amazing vanilla ice cream flavor through the middle. All-around, it tastes like butter pecan ice cream. DAMN, this is good. On the finish, you get cafe au lait. Interestingly, there is a bit of an encore that includes vanilla extract and butterscotch (and in a strong way, not simply an afterthought).

M: Full body bringing out that cafe au lait character. Little carbonation.

AMAZING dessert beer. I think people who give this a low rating are probably biased against sweet beer.

UPDATE: As I'm continuing to sip it and as it's warmed, I'm getting some hazelnut, coconut, and pecan notes. The aroma is also really picking up the butterscotch and getting a little more boozy as it warms.

4.92/5  rDev +25.2%

First of all I gotta say wow this beer is amazing, I poured it into a tulip it pours a very dark brown almost black with a tan one finger head, nose I get tons of vanilla and custard up front, taste again a bunch of vanilla, custard, vanilla cake, and finishes with roasty notes, its got a pretty good and full mouth feel, overall this beer is amazing and totally hits the Creme Brulee right on the head

4.92/5  rDev +25.2%

Dark, dark ruby body. Very nearly black. Not much light gets through this one. Big, thick khaki colored head. Staying power is tremendous and the lace is quite full. Strong thick aromas of caramel and toffee and burnt cream. It's a one of a kind aroma that can be smelt from across the room. Just like the aroma, the flavor is big and bold. Huge caramel and nougat tones. Burnt cream and burnt coffee. Milk sugars and char contrast. Burnt caramel and toffee. Some vanilla and chocoalte as well. This is just a one of a kind flavor. I don't know how this brewery pulls this off with beers like this and Pumking to make them so unique. This might be a little too rich and too heavy for some, but not for me. For a 10% stout, the drinkability is ridiculous.

4.92/5  rDev +25.2%

A - Poured black that produced a brown, fluffy head that retained nicely and left a beautiful lacing around the glass

S - The smell was great, vanilla beans is arousing, and the smokey hints tease

T - The taste is divine, I can't imagine how it only gets a B+, but the vanilla, expresso, and creamly taste makes me drool

M - Creamy, light carbonation, and some body

D - I would highly recommend this wonderful beer, my first Southern Tier and I was blown away! However, this is more of a novelty beer, and thats how I am rating it. Not something I would kick back and enjoy a game to, but a delicious beer for special occasions, and that is how I like it

4.92/5  rDev +25.2%

Creme Brulee Imperial Milk Stout is an excellent dessert beer, NOT a session beer at all. I've only seen this available in large pint bottles and is a seasonal summer release brewed by the wonderfully creative folks at Southern Tier. Pours a dark brown with decent clarity and a negligible head. The smell/nose is INCREDIBLE! The second you pour this your slapped in the face with overwhelming aromas of real vanilla beans. A first sip confirms what you smell and the back notes are full of toffee, java, and roasted nuts. The [mouth] feel is very common of other milk stouts; creamy with an appropriate amount of carbonation. The only downfall to this is that it is overwhelming after a while(as any real creme brulee is). If you like vanilla and good coffee I highly recommend this, I also recommend that you split it with some friends as the ABV is around 10% and finishing a whole pint yourself will leave you feeling a little gluttonous.

4.9/5  rDev +24.7%

The intoxicating and inviting aromas of South Tier Creme Brulee Stout draw you in the second you pop the top. Tons of toffee, butterscotch, and milk in the nose and a gorgeous dark tan head floating on a sea of black. Sweet sugar with a little bit of char to go along with the butterscotch and warm milk and a very creamy texture. There’s also a hop bite at the back end to remind you it’s a beer. Never having had creme brulee (I know, how bourgeois of me) I can’t say how close it is to Creme Brulee in a bottle, but gosh is it tasty. Might be too sweet for some, but I think it’s delicious. The burnt flavor lingers more than anything, but it goes very well with the sweetness. Not even a hint of the whopping 9.6% ABV

Wooow. No really wooow.

Look amazing with a black and red color. Along with a red color head.

Smell is strong with carmel and cream

Taste- CREAM. Creme brulee. It tastes amazing

Feel. Smooth smooth

Overall this is the best beer I have had this year. Instantly to my top 10 list. Love it.

Poured into a Stone IRS glass

A: Black, with very low carbonation, small head forms but dissipates quickly not leaving any lacing, how a good stout should be

S: Extremely sweet! Caramel is very strong, along with milk, vanilla bean, chocolate, and a tiny hint of coffee, can definitely smell the alcohol as well, but it mixes very well, easily one of the best smelling beers I've had so far

T: Loads of caramel and vanilla bean to begin with, sometimes it tastes more like creamy vanilla bean,then finishes with a mix of chocolate, coffee, and caramel combined, very sweet but very good, the first drink I had the alcohol was very present (caught me off guard but I did not mind it), but the second and third drink it was hardly noticeable and the alcohol presence faded more and more with every drink

M: Very smooth and creamy! That being said it doesn't seem like it is as thick as it should be for an imperial stout

O: Fantastic beer, wish it was a little thicker, and the alcohol presence to not be as strong for the first sip or two, but very sweet, I love sweets and truly enjoyed this beer, it truly is dessert in a bottle, if you enjoy sweets as much as I do this is a must have! If not I would recommend splitting with a friend or tasting it first

4.9/5  rDev +24.7%

Deepest of brown that casts black in most light and has one very nice capping of medium tanned frothy foam. Huge cob webbed lacing is stretched across the glass by the ton! One gorgeous looking glass of dark nectar.

Wow, what a huge aroma of French vanilla creamer with a large creamy coffee sense, hazelnut, caramel, and hints to some heat underneath. Its nice if ya like getting a slap in the face with vanilla creamer.

Taste is mostly vanilla, caramel, and hazelnut creamer with a slight coffee roast and milky chocolate. It tastes more like a Frappichnno then any beer. Pretty crazy stuff! Spiked iced coffee anyone! Yummy!

The body is creamy, no surprise there, milky, silky, nearly full in a few spots and definately filling as it goes. Has a big middle tinge of flavor and body with tangy rich vanilla torched with slight coffee roast, chocolate, both white and milk, then concerts some fluffy dryness with a warming tint as it finishes with left over creamy caramel, vanilla, and hazelnut hints. Delish!

Like I said...this is totally like some spiked iced coffee drink if there ever was one. Personally, I think this stuff rocked as I could drink those Starbucks Frappacchino things all day until wired with caffine. So goes with this, only I'd be wasted...But as a beer this was slightly, or I should say very slightly missing a partial dark fruity tang or addition to it that I think would've totally made this even more unwholey wowable! The 10% is concievable but hardly makes any real break through. As is though...WOW! Me likey and will want more!

4.9/5  rDev +24.7%

Appearance: Pours opaque dark brown with a dark beige head.

Smell: Smells of coffee and vanilla, aroma is quite pervasive.

Taste: Very sweet tasting, still with heavy coffee and vanilla tones. The coffee taste almost completely masks the alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Not too thick, just right.

Drinkability: This is a sipping beer, a dessert beer. That being said, I was quite happy to enjoy two after dinner.

4.89/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is amazing! A friend bought it on a whim since he enjoyed creme brulee creamer. I was skeptical until I smelled it--you'd swear it was a cup of dessert! Nicely sweet, awesome roast, not boozy. This is a "panty dropper".

4.89/5  rDev +24.4%

A- Very dark brown in colour, like dark coffee. Head foamed up to about half an inch, but then shrunk down to a light lacing.

S- Very heavy on the vanilla bean smell, first thing that comes through. Can also smell some of the lactose, very creamy. Also nice roasted malts come through, and a slight bit of hops at the end.

T- Tastes just like a French vanilla, or even a Creme Brulee! it's wonderful. The roasted malts come together with the vanilla to blend into the French vanilla flavour that is very strong but not overpowering. The lactose sugars come through as well with a nice creamy feel. Also the alcohol comes through fairly strong, but it not too strong or bad in any way. Hops are detectable at the end with a wonderful bitter finish that lingers for a short time.

D- I believe I have just found my new favourite stout. So tasty and easy to drink or sip.

4.87/5  rDev +23.9%

Almost black...minimal head..very inviting. Smell is butterscotch, vanilla and malt..mmm. Taste follows the smell...butterscotch, vanilla shake, molasses in the back. Mouthfeel is rich, creamy and full-bodied. Drinkability is very good considering the abv. Not a brew you would drink all night, but like a decadent dessert...absolutely excellent.

4.87/5  rDev +23.9%

This is the most original beer that I have ever tasted. It tasted like I was drinking caramel sauce. It was sweet and delicious. It had a thick mouthfeel. Served ice cold, it tasted like I was drinking a milkshake. I couldn't sit there drinking it all night, but I couldn't think of anything I would rather drink with my dessert. This is the best tasting beer I've ever had. And they hide the fact that is 10% alcohol very well.

4.87/5  rDev +23.9%

A - Extremely dark. I didn't even get bronze highlights when subjecting to light but then; I have weak lights. Still, basically opaque. Poured into an imperial pint glass and had decent lacing. Color is amazing.

S - Open the bottle, creme brulee. This beer is as advertised. Extremely strong hits of vanilla and caramel make this smell like a dessert you can't ignore. Best smelling beer I have ever had.

T - Tastes as smells. As others have noted it might be a bit much for more than one 22. I feel like I could drink this all day but I might be heaving in the bathroom after the third one lol. This is a great beer to sip on a cold day by the fire. Even after a heavy meal, the taste is perfect.

M - The caramel, for me, really hangs around. It is tinged with vanilla but thick in the mouth. Not a beer that can be drank quickly.

O - This beer delivers on all it advertises and more. I recently discovered a new love for milk stouts but this one goes above and beyond. Maybe it's the vanilla or caramel but this is a beer you can't put down.

4.87/5  rDev +23.9%

Appearance: A very good-looking beer (though I may be under the influence of its intoxicating perfume), black with glimmers of orange and an air-pocked latte-tan head. Only fair retention, but lots of pretty lacing.

Smell: So... much... delicious... vanilla! Huge vanilla character that blends with the chocolate and caramel malts to create: Oreos! Root beer floats! Butterscotch! And of course, creme brulee! This deserves higher than a 5. Oh well.

Taste: Sweet, creamy, decadent, and silly with vanilla - yet balanced. Big butterscotch sweetness floods the palate, carrying bits of raisin, graham cracker, and oatmeal with maple syrup here and there. The sweetness is intersected by the coffee and dark chocolate bitterness of burnt malts, plus a spicy bit of fruity hops and alcohol. Devastatingly complex, extremely sweet and tasty - an incredibly delicious beer.

Mouthfeel: Thick, sticky, creamy, and mildly carbonated, but somehow, not too heavy.

Drinkability: This is an amazing beer. Share it.

4.85/5  rDev +23.4%

appearance - Black color, nice large tan head with some crazy lace on the glass. Looks good.

smell - For real, I can smell this about 2 feet away. Chocolate, sugars, vanilla, and caramel to die for.

taste - Very sweet with a little bit of a bitterness after taste. So smooth, silly.
Taste of chocolate, vanilla, and caramel.

mouthfeel - Full body, sweet.

drinkability - I tasted this before and ran to track 84 RI to get it on tap. Very good. I hear it is strong to drink on your own. It should be used as a after desert drink.

4.85/5  rDev +23.4%

Southern Tier Creme Brulee 2008 Vintage, on tap at The Blind Tiger in Manhattan, New York.

Appearance: Served in a snifter/chalice, this Brulee looks crazy dark and huge! Barely any head, only a thin tan line that dies soon. Some withish bubbles remain on top, but other than that, this is dark as fuck. Color is deep ruby, almost black, mighty opaque.

Smell: Creme brulee anyone? Intense vanilla, coconut pudding. The aromas are more intensified than in the fresh version.

Taste: More of the same, but so much more smooth than in fresh Brulee. The vanilla tastes like just-picked pods from the vine, slightly sun-dried. Dark sugars and liquid chocolate. A tad of wood and bourbon at the end, faint but present.

Mouthfeel: As in the other vintage Southern Tier beer I had this afternoon at the Tiger (Choklat from '07), the mouthfeel is outstanding and irreproachable. Smooth, creamy, not boozy despite the high ABV. Nourishing, chewy, delicious. Medium body, low carbonation, full flavor. A tad of burning booze at the end. Yum!

Drinkability: Super nice, just like the mouthfeel. Well balanced, never overwhelming despite the fairly one-dimensionality of the body. Pure joy.

4.84/5  rDev +23.2%

A- Pours a thin head in my large snifter and recedes rather quickly. Leaves some decent lacing. Body is pitch black.

S- I wish I could put a 5.5 here.. Easily can be smelled across the room. Huge caramel, chocolate, vanilla, and espresso.

T- Absolutely great espresso huge vanilla, caramel, graham cracker, chocolate, butterscotch, with an excellent butterscotch, caramel, and espresso finish. The finish is long and delicious.

M- Silky smooth with just a touch of carbonation. The finish is wonderful.

D- Alcohol is insanely well hidden. This isn't by any means a session beer, but it's tremendous. This can be a touch cloying, so splitting a bottle isn't a bad idea.

4.84/5  rDev +23.2%

Absolutely amazing. If you even the slightest bit enjoy sweet-tasting beers... don't waste another minute & try this. Basically all of the low ratings on this beer for this app are due to it being too sweet. Um, hello, look at the title of the beer for crying out loud. Simply put, considering the name of this brew, and the way it tastes/smells...How can one not give it a high/fair rating? The brewery set out what they were intending to do. Enjoy this particular beer for what it truly is. Hard not to give it a 10/10 it's on a total class of its own.

4.83/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a deep dark black with big, tan head that sticks around and leaves a lot of thick lacing.

I forgot the name of this beer real quick and when I went smell it I said, Woah! Burnt sugar. Well, duh. More butterschotchy, roasted notes than vanilla, really, but this thing smells like a creme brulee, or even more a vanilla frappicino from *$s.

Super sweet. Tastes like the smell. I feel like I'm drinking a frappe. Sweet, flavored espresso. Holy crap this beer is a sipper. Dessert in a bottle.

Mouth feel is just as creamy as it should be. Nice and thick, smooth, Alcohol is well hidden. Bravo.

4.82/5  rDev +22.6%

22 oz. bottle, 10% ABV. Black color, with no highlights at all. Having said that, it is not completely jet black. Frothy mocha head, which trickles down to a thin layer after a minute.

Amazing caramel, vanilla and cream aroma. Exactly like creme brulee. A bit of chocolate and roasty notes in the background, but the vanilla is the big note here. I literally smelled this thing the entire time, probably one of the best aromas I have ever noticed.

Pretty sweet up front. There is a hint of the stout base, with a roasty component, and a bit of chocolate. A nice midpalate of caramel and lots of vanilla bean. A bit of creme rounds things off.

A bit on the sweet side, but not quite cloying. Certainly a dessert beer, and a sipper too. Good body and carbonation. Wonderful blend of flavors. Alcohol is slightly noticable. Overall, I thought this was a fantastic beer.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company