Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series)Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

Added by ph2001 on 07-12-2008

Ratings: 4,599 |  Reviews: 1,469
4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I purchased 2 bottles of this 2 years ago... the first I had immediately, and could not even finish half the bomber... it was insanely sweet, overly so, and I had to force myself to finish it. Don't get me wrong, the first 2 sips were unbelievable, but the sweetness builds - and as it warms the syrup-like sweetness goes up exponentially... This beer has been the subject of many posts in the past, and falls in one of 2 camps. Well, now over 2 years later, let's see what some age does - I'm also drinking this at 42 degrees, as is recommended on the label.
Which camp will I choose, here goes...

Appearance - Pours 2 solid fingers of light mocha tan foam, holding this to a light reveals a translucent body that is an ultra deep garnet, without the light the body appears a dark brown, with deep red maroon edges. Sporadic webbed lacing is left behind as you work your way through the glass.

Smell - Intensely rich sweet vanilla custard, butterscotch, thick gooey vanilla carmels, sticky toffee, carmel macchiato, and warm moist rum cake.

Taste - Truly, you get the creme brulee flavor - the flavors of cooked vanilla custard with the burnt sugar coating... so if I break this down a bit, the flavors are vanilla custard, charred sugar, roasted carmel, vanilla extract, and well done rum cake that had been soaked in too much rum - a good amount of alcohol in the finish, and long into the finish I get some charred malts, burnt toffee, dried vanilla bean and a little alcohol heat.

Mouthfeel - Extremely smooth and silky, nearly creamy, carb is on the lower side, but not enough to provide any scrub, allowing the flavors to really assert themselves. There is some alcohol heat with this one. Like eating a creme brulee that is still hot...

Overall - Okay, so which camp do I fall into? Well, I do find the flavors interesting, and I definitely pick up the creme brulee flavors, but I will not be purchasing this one again. This gets a 3.71 from me, as I understand and appreciate the brewers intentions, but this is something to have as a desert beer during the holidays, with 3-4 guests getting about a 6oz pour. I will finish this bomber myself, but I will also return my glass to the freezer a few times to keep the temp down. It is still a fiercely sweet stout, there are some nice roasted and charred sugar flavors here, but the sweetness seems to intensify with each sip, and becomes a bit of a chore after half the bomber - and the alcohol becomes hot, making the roast and char flavors become almost astringent. I love a subtle sweetness that just balances, but this is the opposite - I find my palate desperately searching out and clinging to the roasted flavors, and the dried vanilla bean, but the next sip just coats everything with another layer of sweet vanilla custard. So while my grade is generous and understanding of the flavors, I will now officially join the camp that will never purchase this beer again - but I will not bash it as some members of "this camp" are apt to do. Try this if you must, but I strongly recommend Oat and Choklat, they are excellent.

4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

Was really looking forward to this beer, had a bottle I've been sitting on for about 8-9 months.

Beer pours jet black with a small amount of foamy tan head, not getting much lacing, looks decent though.

On the nose it smells sweet and syrupy. Almost like maple syrup and vanilla, but much more on the vanilla side. Its definitely a rich smelling one, little bit of caramel, toffee notes too. Not boozy at all.

Flavor wise, alot more of the same but its got a little bit of a bitter finish, not hoppy or anything though, no boozy bite either. Milk stout backbone is there just like you would expect, sweet with a nice syrupy texture that leaves it kind of on the thin side for a milk stout, not exceptionally thick as you would expect, but still stout. Definitely better when its on the warmer side, carb bite is harsh when its cold.

Vanilla bean character dominates this beer both in smell and taste. Its got more on the nose than it does on the flavor pallet though.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

4.46/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The first time I had this deliciousness was out of the tap back in 2010. The fragrant aroma poured from the glass as three of us just stood over the pint drooling in disbelief. Over the years the Creme Brulee has some times shown to be a bit artifical and chalky tasting. The mouthfeel has also varied from delightfully medium to syrupy heavy. I dont think nothing will ever compare to that first meeting.. but all in all its a delighful beer.

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series) from Southern Tier Brewing Company