Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series)Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series)
3.91/5
Very Good

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
stbcbeer.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

Added by ph2001 on 07-12-2008

Ratings: 4,615 |  Reviews: 1,472
3.57/5  rDev -8.7%

Picked up a bottle of this Southern Tier at Dennis Brothers in Cottage Grove, MN, at a time when I hadn't seen this anyplace else yet. Great store.

This beer is black. This beer smells like vanilla extract spilled in your mustache.

Taste is 80% vanilla, with that milky undercurrent of a milk stout that seems so strange in a beer. My wife insists there's some caramel. I can't see, or taste, it.

Unusually creamy for a beer, understandable given its roots in a confectory. I could not, however, drink more than one & am glad I could split this bottle. This creation gets points for originality if nothing else; doesn't taste like anything I've tried before.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.58/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.58/5  rDev -8.4%

After trying the bottle about a week ago I took the no-tap variation to see if I could find much difference.. I found Mokah to be a bit less-enjoyable on tap and my creme brulee experience suffered the same fate.. Whereas the bottle begins with a flavor and aroma which are so robust and sweet that it may excite and entice at first then becomes a bit cloying and artificial, on-tap I immediately found these unpleasant qualities. There is a chalky quality to the taste which contrasts the sweetness but doesn't add any enjoyment to the drink. Drinkability suffers from these unpleasantries in the flavor and aroma. Overall, though, I'm willing to grant it 3.5's instead of below-average numbers because its certainly a better option thana lot of things and if you're in the mood for something very strong or generally enjoy sweetness it may be quite enjoyable. Like other ST stout offerings I'm finding the sort of artificial quality to the flavor shows through more on-tap. Its fun to try but I wouldn't want to drink a full pint's worth.

3.58/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.58/5  rDev -8.4%

22oz bomber. purchased at least 6 months ago. cellared ever since. poured into tulip.

dark and opaque. good foamy head that fades to thin layer. somewhat sparse lacing.

smells of vanilla from the pour onwards, with notes of sweet cream. hint of chocolate and coffee CANDY.

flavor is cold, heavily-sweetened coffee, plus lots of vanilla again, but quite fresh. sweet, sweet, SWEET. balanced somewhat by a coffee-like bitterness, with hint of grassy hop. slight alcohol note brings in reminiscences of kahlua.

feel is quite smooth and lightly syrupy. moderate carbonation gives some lift to the heaviness.

ok, ok, it's not as bad as some people say. i'm probably not seeking it out again, but it may work for people unconvinced about dessert beers. the sweetness is cloying, and must be matched up with something like a raspberry and champagne white cake with buttercreme frosting, which is what i did.

3.59/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Southern Tier's Creme Brulee last month for $8.99 at The Lager Mill. I'm pretty sure I tried this beer a long time ago and I don't remember anything about it, so when I saw it on the shelf I thought I should pick it up and give it a proper review, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it's not that eye catching, but it has lots of great information on it and I think that's a nice touch. It poured a very dark brown color that was on the border of being black that didn't really let any light come through and it had three fingers worth of creamy tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left tons of lacing behind. This is a very nice looking beer the color was nice and the head and lacing were really good.

S- The aroma starts off with a ton of sweetness followed by some nice chocolate aromas that are quickly overpowered by lots of caramel, butterscotch, vanilla, and maple syrup like aromas that pretty much dominant the aroma of this beer. As soon as I cracked the cap of the bottle I could smell it and I'm pretty sure if someone blindly smelled it there would be no way that they could tell that it's actually a beer. The aroma was pretty good, it wasn't very beer like but I found it to be pretty enjoyable.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a huge amount of sweetness followed by some slightly bitter dark chocolate flavors that give way to tons of vanilla, butterscotch, and caramel flavors that seem dominant this beer and they really don't let any other flavors come through. Up next comes a somewhat lighter amount of alcohol that is only slightly warming. On the finish comes some more sweetness with a lighter amount of bitterness and very caramel, vanilla, and butterscotch like aftertaste that seems to stick around a little bit. This was a nice tasting beer, the flavors were pretty much as advertised but I thought the sweetness was out of hand.

M- Fairly smooth, sticky, cloying, creamy, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was decent but I thought it was too cloying and sticky.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer. it's for sure not a great example of an Imperial Stout, but as a dessert beer I think it's a pretty good example of the style, the flavor was exactly as advertised. This beer had pretty bad drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little filling and the flavors did a decent job at holing my attention, but the sweetness was so high that there's no way that I could every drink a full bomber of it, half the bottle was a bit of a struggle and I think that splitting a bottle between four or five people would be good. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both pretty good and worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the sweetness, it was just way too high and it's up there as one of the sweeter beers I have had and that really hurt the drinkability. I wouldn't by this beer again, maybe if I was going to a tasting and I thought some people would like, but other than that I won't be buying another bottle anytime soon and I don't think age would improve this beer. I would recommend this to anyone who likes sweet dessert beers. All in all I liked this beer a lot at first, but the more I drank it the more it wore on me, the flavors were nice, but I wish more of that stout base come through and that the sweetness was really toned down, I felt like i may need an insulin shot after i drank half of the bomber. I appreciate the effort it took to make this beer, but in the end it just didn't come together as good as it could have, better luck next time guys.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.59/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a deep and opaque black, although some reddish highlights are in the corners, very thick light tan head forms, slowly settles down to a thick ring and thin layer, lace streaks on the glass, looks good. Smell is great, very rich, butterscotch, big vanilla, caramel corn, raisin, more toffee, cream, lactose sweetness, very malty, a hint of roast but basically big vanilla and caramel notes. Taste is similar, milk chocolate, hazelnut, vanilla, caramel and butterscotch, more vanilla, more caramel, just insanely rich, like dessert. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low to medium carbonation, alcohol is hidden very well. I love this beer, never really experienced the caramelized and vanilla flavours as rich as this in any other beer

3.59/5  rDev -8.2%

22oz bomber into a snifter of sorts. Bottle dated 07/14/11. Pours a pitch black. Minimal head and no lacing.

The smell is really something--vanilla, custard, jello vanilla pudding, cream filled donuts. All very strong and in your face.

Taste is more of the same and then some. Char, burnt sugar, burnt malt, vanilla custard, caramel, burnt liquor, with a touch of driveway sealer.

Mouthfeel is sticky yet smooth with some long-lingering heat from the alcohol.

Overall, this was overwhelming. Recommend sharing a bomber with a minimum of 4 people. I will give it some credit as the taste of this beer was true to its name and as advertised.

3.6/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A- a thin layer of foam. No retention and minimal lacing

S- very sweet. Smells like dessert. no booze present and can smell the milkiness

T- tastes like dessert as well. Very slight hotness, and slightly dank aftertaste. The more I drink, the less I like it.

M- creamy yet light, pretty smooth

O- The smell is intoxicating. The first sip is delicious, it's just too much dessert in a glass.

3.6/5  rDev -7.9%

I was served this in a snifter without being told what it was. My first reaction was confusion - it looks like beer: dark like stout with a nice, slightly off-white head. But the aroma caused me to think it was a godiva-liqueur like cocktail. Truely, this smells like creme brulee! And since that's what they were going for, kudos to them. My nose was owned by the vanilla, caramel, and burnt sugar aromas. Flavorwise - right on track. Vanilla, caramel, burnt sugar - suitable sweetness for a beer named after a luscious dessert.

It got of track though on the back of my tongue with a residual bitterness, combination of burnt sugar and hop bitterness, that I didn't like in combination with the sweetness. It really has the bitterness of an American stout and I think that creates conflict with the 'creme brulee' aspect. I think a richer, smoother European stout with the vanilla and caramel notes (maybe even subdued a little) would be completely sublime.

3.6/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.6/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured the bomber into my Short's Imperial pint glass.

A: Black with a hint of light brown. Poured almost two fingers of frothy, milk chocolate brown head, that retained well, but left little lace.

A: Wow this one's sweet. Vanilla, chocolate, butterscotch, and marshmellow. Caramel malts, and some very subtle earthy hops, and I stress very little.

T: Sugary sweet. The vanilla and butterscotch are over the top. This is for sure a dessert beer. A little espresso flavor finishes it off.

M&D: Little carbonation and a full body, make for a viscous brew. Drinkability is very limited due to the sweetness, number one, but the ABV at 10% doesn't help. Overall, good for an after dinner drink, but way too sweet for my taste. But still a very interesting brew. Skal.

3.6/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured this into a tulip. The pour is dark black with about a fingers worth of opaque white head. This one looks thick and rich! This smells inviting. It just smells like caramel. Super rich caramel. Not much else to the nose but this smells like a dessert. This is a dessert beer. The taste is sweet caramel and not much else to it. I feel like I'm drinking a glass of caramel, after a few sips this will be a bit much. I also wish there was a little more to this. The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy but I expected that so it's not really offensive. It drinks nicely and I'll enjoy sipping on this for a while.

3.6/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured at a big group tasting, interesting concept.

Aroma is butterscotch and candy, very sweet smell with vanilla and a little bit o spice.

Flavor is initally all butterscotch, smooths out to a kinda creme brule flavor, flavors are way over the top.

kinda gimmicky and I wouldnt want more than my 4 oz's but all in all it is what it says it is and is well made.

3.6/5  rDev -7.9%

Bomber split with my finacee. Poured into a goblet.

A - Pours pitch black with very litte/no head.
S - Smells like candy. Vanilla and caramel are all that I could smell. It smells great, but certainly not like any beer I've ever had.
T - At first it taste like a typical stout, with lots of malt and a hint of hops. The vanilla and caramel take over almost immediately though and dominate through the finish. There's some heat from the alcohol at the end.
M - It's thick and creamy and very smooth.
D - Low. The sweetness is almost overpowering at times and the alcohol content makes it a sipper.

This is a unique beer to say the least and I thought it was good. I'm not sure I'd get it again for a while, but I was very glad to try it.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes.

Pours black with a slight mocha head. The nose is really quite extreme--even for this series--as it brings forward loads of sweet cream and vanilla along with burnt sugar. In the back are some roasted malts, coffee, and light chocolate flavors. The taste really brings the sweetness forward and it gets to be quite cloying. The mouthfeel is rather thick and a bit of an alcohol burn sets in toward the end. I would really have a difficult time drinking more than 4oz. or so of this, though the nose is incredible.

3.61/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Tap poured

Black liquid

Very sweet creme brûlée aroma

Taste of sweetness and then quickly to roast beer

Burnt coffee aftertaste

Interesting beer

3.61/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was surprised how boozy this one was.. had it a bit cold at first and didnt taste the sweetness at all.. let it warm up for a while, then it changed and became a better beer. Not quite creme brulee and not dessert like. The smell was really sweet however, like Creme Brulee. Has a sort of harsh and bitter finish that lingers on your palate which I didn't expect. Not the best, not the worst. Give it a B/B-. If I want dessert beer, I will stick with Chocolate Rain!!

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This pours black but with a reddish or mahogany hue around the edges when held up to the light. It has a fat cream head of mocha colored foam that fell slowly to a cap and ring and drippy lace. Refreshed with each turn of the glass.

Nose reminds me at first of vanilla cake batter int he mixing bowl. Strong scent of vanilla. There is some sweet and creamy chocolate but not that much. Then there's a little coffee. As it warms the nose continues to change subtly. It smells like creme brulee, then like coffee liquer and finally like those maple sugar candies. really sweet. The vanilla is bitter and reminds one of booze but there's no actual alcohol on the nose.

Taste is rich. Burnt sugar, caramel, molasses, and toffee. Just and endless malt. Strong, bitter vanilla, a touch of chocolate and light coffee, the burnt sugar and buttery cream. There is a touch of hop bitter at the back as well and it finishes pretty bitter. The maple sugar taste is heavy toward the end of the drink. There's some alcohol on the palate and it warms gently on the way down.

This is definitely a desert beer. It's velvety and smooth but it has a hard edge to it from the strong vanilla and the alcohol. It's creamy and tastes a lot like cream. As it warmed the malt became nutty and toasted on the nose. I can't say I would buy this again. It was hard to finish the small pour I had but it seemed to grow on me. Tasted like a liquer and not really like a beer.

3.61/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Smell is overwhelmingly sweet - butterscotch, caramel, and a hint of chocolate.

Taste is as sweet as it smells - toffee, hazelnut, cream soda, lactose, and Werther's candy.

I like the smell much better than the taste - it's difficult to drink 22 oz of a beer this sweet.

Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series) from Southern Tier Brewing Company
Beer rating: 3.91 out of 5 with 4,615 ratings