Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

Added by ph2001 on 07-12-2008

Reviews: 1,431 | Ratings: 4,481
2.54/5  rDev -35.4%

A: Almost black with a small beige head that leaves some lacings on the glass as it settles.

S: Very strange. It smells more like pasty or cookies than a stout. Burnt sugar, vanilla, toffee - well, it smells like creme brulee. Beneath this massive wall of dessert-like aromas, some muted aromas or roasted malts and a hint of coffee are noticeable.

T: An absolute mess. It's cloyingly sweet with overpowering notes of vanilla, burnt sugar, caramel and toffee. I get the exact same feeling of pastry, cookies or other desserts that I got from the smell. Some stout flavors or roasted malts, dark fruits and chocolate beneath it all. The finish is quite bitter, but the bitterness is off queue and fails to level the sweetness. A hint of wood at the end.

M: Full-bodied and creamy thick texture that makes the beer quite heavy.

D: Too strange and too sweet to ever get interesting. It's definitely one of a kind, I'll give the brewery that. And the fact that it tastes so much like creme brulee is quite impressive. But it still isn't a good beer. It's basically just a cloyingly sweet dessert disguised as a stout, and if I want a dessert, I'll get a dessert, not a beer.

2.55/5  rDev -35.1%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 1pt. 6oz. or 650ml bottle in to a snifter.

Appearance: A big, thick and foamy head sits on top of a very dark brown and opaque body. Its head is dark tan in color and it slowly fades to just a very thin covering. Lacing is rather sparse and slick as it slides down the sides of the glass.

Smell: The aroma is strong and noticeable as soon as the bottle is opened. The big bold sweetness of caramel and vanilla bean hits the nose. Under that there is a hint of roasted malt and sweet boozy alcohol like butterscotch schnapps.

Taste/Mouth feel: The flavor is overwhelmingly sweet!!! A thick, heavy caramel flavor dominates the over some creamy vanilla notes as well as a hint of dark powdery chocolate. Hop flavor is well hidden with just a slight bitterness sliding in near the finish. Also there is a mild warming from its 10% abv. The body is heavy and full with a syrupy slick, sticky texture. Its carbonation was mild which added to the slickness.

Notes: Its thick sticky body and its unchecked, unbalanced sweetness made for a very slow sipping beverage. It's not exactly my cup of tea but cheers to Southern Tier for pushing the boundary with a very interesting beer.

2.55/5  rDev -35.1%

Pours black with nice small bar pour head, coco head that leaves plenty of lace down my glass even though it was smaller.

Aroma is sweet and to me 95% caramel sure there is some roasted noted and coffee. But caramel apples come to mind on first whiff and stays that way even wife says caramel big caramel. Not bad but not what I would consider a big stout smell.

Taste is well the same as the nose loads of sweet caramel not into liquors but has to taste more like a caramel liquor then a beer. Way sweet loads of caramel some roasted notes and coffee in the finish. Not happy with this server said it was sweet not big deal have had hundreds of stouts but nothing to prepare me for this. Would not have this again would not recommend this unless you just want to drink cloying caramel with roasted coffee hints.

Mouthfeel is a good point nice smooth full bodied brew.

Overall not my cup of beer but to each his own.

2.55/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

No no no. Both too bitter and too sweet, yuk! No balance of flavours. Tastes like sweet stout with butterscotch syrup added afterwards...a fake! It's definitely 10% though!!! Try Innis and Gunn oak-aged if you like the vanilla undertones without the sickly, cloying fake-ness.

2.56/5  rDev -34.9%

Finally tried this tonight at Emmasdad's B-day/Passing the Bar celebration. Poured pretty dark (nice) with a very sweet nose. Tasted sweetness--LOTS of sweetness, almost to the point where I couldn't do more than a few ounces. I guess if you like creme brulee, this might be to your liking. Kinda iffy for a beer, though. Glad I tried this but seriously doubt I'd bother trying again.

2.56/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a deep black, a thin light tan head after a vigorous pour with very little lacing.

Aroma was very sweet of vanilla, brown sugar and caramel.

Taste followed the nose and name, a liquid Creme Brulee, very sweet of vanilla, caramel, burnt brown sugar and sweet cream.

Mouth Feel was medium body, a little thin for a stout, very little carbonation, creamy and very sweet.

Overall buying a beer named Creme Brulee, I was expecting sweetness, however,it was little too over powering for my taste. Stronger coffee or bitter chocolate would have added some needed balance.

2.57/5  rDev -34.6%

Lots of fans of this beer... just found out that I am not one. Looks great, with a pitch black body and ring of tan head. Served good and cold, as suggested. Nose was exactly like a Werthers' Original candy (which is OK by me). Could barely get past the first sip... hyper-sweet, astringest, horrible. Mouthfeel was basically a guess... can't do it. Wife thinks it is fine. If it wasn't for her, there goes an 8.99 drain pour. Bottom of the barrel for me. I am a stout guy, and this hit way off the mark for me.

2.57/5  rDev -34.6%

No...no...no. This stout is way too sweet for consumption. The syrupy-sweet, vanilla flavor is too overwhelming for me, but I can at least say I appreciate the effort from Southern Tier to try something different.

Feel jipped out of $9 for the 220z bomber, but that is how it goes sometimes.

2.6/5  rDev -33.8%

Pours a chocolate cola colour with minimal head. Nose- blast of thick vanilla. Taste- creamy vanilla- super sweet, with some roasted malts. Some caustic nuttiness and finishes with stale vanilla. thick too sweet. booze is hidden, I will give it that. otherwise uggh

2.61/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours dark brown/almost black with a small tan colored bubbly head.

Big overwhelming caramel syrup, butterscotch & vanilla extract scent. Seems to overpower any other aromas going on. You can literally smell this a few feet away. The powerfulness of the aroma is huge, I just don't enjoy the overly sweet smell.

Like the nose there is a huge sweet vanilla, caramel, butterscotch....creme brulee taste. Not much roasted/toasted or coffee flavors to be noticed. Tastes like melted creme brulee ice cream.

Thick, rich, smooth, feels nice actually.

Glad I had the opportunity to try this one, but it doesn't work for me. Too sweet & candy like. The beer is as advertised though, so no complaints.

2.63/5  rDev -33.1%

It should be noted that Southern Tier doesn't lie. Pumking tastes like pumpkins, Choklat tastes of chocolate. And this sort of tastes like Creme Brulee, but it also tastes heavily of French vanilla creamer. That shit you have in the office that allows people to suffer through the coffee that they really don't like just to stay awake.

I don't need artificiality to mask my beer. And I don't want it. But I got it here. Now I have to figure out what to do with it.

It pours to a translucent dark brown than mimics black in most lights. The beige head is small and fleeting.
It noses purely of vanilla syrup. Small touches of dark breads, but the flavored syrup is king. I love the smell of vanilla, but not so much when it drowns out everything else in my beer.
Burnt caramel malt is lain across the tongue. Creme Brulee indeed. Then scads of powdered vanilla-tinged coffee. It's like a gas station French Vanilla Cappuccino...with extra vanilla creamer.
I'm a sucker for vanilla. But it simply suffocates every nuance of this beer. Even the 10% alcohol can't poke through it.
The medium full body lays a glassy canvas for all the vanilla to unfold upon. But the vanilla cloys and clots upon itself and fucks it all up.
Give me roast! Give me malt! Give me beer! Give me some semblance of stout, and then I might begin to appreciate the rampant and ridiculous about of vanilla.
Again, they've nailed the flavoring aspect, but utterly neglected the basic beer traits. Drinking a pint+ of International Delight seems roughly the same (cut with a small amount of coffee). And I'm not joking.

This might have itself some small moment as a after dinner or cigar beer, but 22ozs of this is lunacy.
Let's have some fucking beer already.

2.63/5  rDev -33.1%

Appearance: Pours a near-black color, more dark brown, with slight translucency when held to light. Head retention isn't great, but we're talking 10% beer here.

Smell: Intensely aromatic - I could smell this one as soon as I uncapped it. Surprisingly, this does smell like creme brulee - it's got the burnt sugar, cream, butterscotch and vanilla you'd expect. This doesn't so much smell like beer as it smells like dessert. I don't necessarily mean that in a good way.

Taste & mouthfeel: The taste has all the creme brulee character of the nose, along with - thankfully - a bit more actual beer flavor. Bitter roasted malt flavors lend a necessary balance to the sweetness, which is still very much at the forefront here. The finish is bittersweet, bitter eventually prevailing, leaving a lingering coffee note on the palate.

Notes: Got this one from Dyan - thanks dogg. This is fun stuff, but I recommend sharing; a couple ounces is plenty. On a side note, this would make one seriously decadent beer float with a scoop of vanilla icecream.

2.63/5  rDev -33.1%

On tap at HOB "Thanks Jessica." Poured into a 6oz snifter. Black as night with a white head. the head stuck around for awhile. You can smell this beer from the other room. The most intese vanilla have ever seen in a beer. THe flavor was the same. It tasted like vanilla extract with a little dry hops. I like the idea but Southern Tier needs to consult CCB before trying this. Way too intense. Switched over to a Loose Cannon immediately. As a suggestion, I wouldnt try this in a glass bigger than a flight sipper.

2.64/5  rDev -32.8%

Been sitting on this one for a while. Finally got a chance to crack it open. Poured an inky jet black with not much head at all. Very thick and viscous like motor oil. Smells of LOADS of caramel, vanilla, sugar, lactose. Basically like dessert. Taste is overly sweet. Tons of caramel, vanilla, cream, lactose, sugar, flan. It's not that it's bad, and the aftertaste is very enjoyable. It's just that it is WAY over the top sweet. Mouthfeel is very thick and oily, not too much carbonation, very slick. Coats the mouth. This is the first beer that Southern Tier have tripped up on, in my opinion. I couldn't get through a pint of it. Far too sweet. I do wish that I had some vanilla ice cream though to pour this over. That would probably be very tasty and enjoyable.

2.64/5  rDev -32.8%

22 oz bomber split between me and two friends as an after dinner drink.

Poured realtively rough into a glass, and it settled a bit "Guinness'esque" with the cool setting of the head. very nice. The head did not last long, though, as the high abv made it disappear quickly.

Smell was, well, almost sickening. It smelled like a simple syrup (sugar and water boiled together) with too much vanilla extract in it, and them simmered down thick and made dark. It was overwhelmingly sweet sugar/vanilla smells.

The taste was not quite as sweet as the smell was, but it tasted like it smelled nonetheless. They were trying for creme brulee, and they probably got as close as humanly possible, but man, it just didnt work for me, and I like creme brulee. As hard as I tried, I couldnt find any "beer" flavor in it... it was almost like it was one of those syrups you would see vendors putting on shaved ice and making a snow cone out of, it was that sweet.

The mouthfeel was good, thick, syrup-y, heavy, and coating like an Imperial/Double stout should be.

Drinkability is low. It was all the three of us combined could do to drink one bomber. I cant see myself ever having the desire to crack open another one either... but maybe it is just not my thing.

2.64/5  rDev -32.8%

It poured a nice very dark brown with light tan head. I served it chilled and warmed up nicely by the end. At first, the smell hits with vanilla minimal to no hop aroma. The first taste was vanilla, but more of a butterscotch. There was a slight alcohol sting at the front of the sip. This confused me as the bottle said 10% ABV. As the beer warmed, the butterscotch taste became more pronounced and almost artificial in taste. It was nearly unbearable. I like big off-beat beers, but this one misses the mark for me. I would love to see what Southern Tier could do if they toned down or eliminated the vanilla from this stout. It seems they brewed an ale for people that don't like too much beer taste in their beer and nearly succeeded. I doubt I would buy this beer again.

2.64/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a very dark brown with a fizzy and bubbly soda-like head that quickly fizzes away to nothing. No lacing at all with a completely flat surface.

S: A very strong aroma of butterscotch and cheap vanilla capacchino. Slightly medicinal.

T: Sweet on the tongue with burnt roasted malt flavors. A strong sugary and vanilla taste makes this one quite similar to the taste of creme brulee. A slight hop bitterness in the finish gives it a bit of balance.

M: Full-bodied with moderate-high carbonation. Too fizzy for an imperial stout.

D: I am by no means a traditionalist when it comes to beer; I like fruit beers and brews that disregard the Reinheitsgebot. This one, however, has grown tiresome after just a few sips. Worth a try, but for me, not worth splurging on again.

2.64/5  rDev -32.8%

Pours a dark black color, small tan head after an aggressive pour. Poor retention. Smell is vanilla, burnt sugar, caramel, molasses, and butterscotch. The aroma is the best quality of this beer. Taste is the same as the smell, but also has some burnt coffee flavor. However, the more of this beer I drank, the less I liked it.

The mouthfeel is thick and too syrupy, and is a negative for me.
Drinkability is also questionable. While I liked the flavor initially, this gets harder to drink with each sip or swallow. Would have been better had it not been in a bomber bottle. I was going to share this with someone. She took a few sips and wanted no more.

2.66/5  rDev -32.3%

The aroma is amazing and the initial taste is sweet/chocolate/vanilla... but then... in the end all I could taste was bitter dark chocolate/burnt malt flavor and it wouldn't go away. That ruined the beer for me... too over the top in the aftertaste to enjoy more than one of these. Mouthfeel was motor oily, very little head in the glass. If burnt coffee taste is your thing then you would love this. But this one is not for me. It does get better by adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream, but it's not enough to save it for me.

2.66/5  rDev -32.3%

This is the second beer in the controversy series, thanks to SBALDWIN...and once again, no freshness date.

Poured this bomber into a snifter...another thin head that immediately vanishes. Some minimal root beer cream soda lacing noted on the sides of the glass. Deep brown body with some ruby highlights. Not overly impressive to look at.

Wow! This smells right down my alley. Large doses of burnt sugars, butterscotch, and a hit of bourbonesque alcohol vapors. Light notes of coffee and caramel peeking through the foreground.

It happened again...burnt bitter caramel up front with a super sweet artificial finish. Almost comparable to a rum and vanilla coke. Lots of imitation vanilla all the way through...

I'll sum up the mouthfeel and drinkability together being as though they both fail miserably. There was no body to this beer...it was a watery overcarbonated syrup that is too artificially sweet to be enjoyed.

Simply put...GREAT IDEA=EPIC FAIL!

I don't like the direction that my beer drinking has taken me lately. I'm looking forward to breaking into the cellar soon and bringing out some grade A stout bombs so I can find out if it's the brews or if it's me.

2.66/5  rDev -32.3%

As my sister in law's interest in craft beer grows by association....I was gently prodded to pick one of these up for a sampling. Split 3 ways with my swill loving brother & his open minded wife.

A ~ Black coffee colored with a creamy, tan 1 finger head. Sticky lace left a soapy film on the glass.

S ~ Without question the BEST part of this beer. You could smell this throughout the room as soon as it was opened. "OOOH ~ Lemme smell, lemme smell"
* (About now a little voice is telling me to remember this is beer!)
It smells like SWEET dessert. Vanilla pudding, butterscotch, caramel, sweet baked goods, cotton candy & English toffee. As the beer warmed it had a warm boozy, almost Brandy smell to it.

T ~ Unbalanced & over done at best. Waaaay too sweet on the front. For the most part, the mouth follows the nose here. Burnt sugar, toffee, vanilla, butter cream & hints of coffee & milk chocolate. I did think I noticed a hint of roasty malt ~ but not enough to focus on. A little bitter on the finish. Breathing in over the glass is boozy & aromatic.

M ~ Full bodied. Deceptive carbonation. Slick, slippery mouthfeel with a lingering bitter after taste. Sticky & oily. Warm swallow reminds you that its alcohol. Sweet, cloying film on my lips and a hot tip of the tongue.

D ~ Overall I'd have to say I was disappointed.
Hard to finish. This is a sipper IF you're liking it (BIG IF) ~ an unusual, albeit failed attempt at an Imperial Stout IMO. A novelty that should be filed & listed as one. Definitely a one timer. ....no matter what you pair it with ~ ice cream, chocolate, vanilla pudding, maybe even Creme Brulee. Someone said "You can put lipstick on a pig...it's STILL a pig!" This aint beer to me.

2.68/5  rDev -31.8%

Had with JDV and pint sized.

A-Dark and stout looking
S-Like werther's or nips caramel butterscotchs.
T-Huge blast of cloying caramel, vanilla, and butterscotch. So sweet and overpowering with lingering butter in the mouth. Did not like this and did not think it tasted like Creme brulee.
M-Thinner than expected and leaves an unpleasant lingering film.
D-I could drink this all night- for 1 million dollars!! Not a fan. Won't try again. Glad to try the novelty and thought it would be good paired with food but not standing alone.

2.68/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Split a bomber with my brother in law. Poured into a stemmed flute. A little of something is good but a lot of something can be bad. That describes this beer. Too sweet, too much vanilla. 2.75

A - black with a half finger tan head. 3.75
S - too much vanilla - 2.5
T - cloyingly sweet, malty, vanilla, 2.5
MF - med heavy body with a sweet finish. - 3

2.69/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This pours nice and rich, as you would expect from this style.

Smell. Um, wow, lots of vanilla. "Duh" you say, but - no - like, I'm going to bake a cake, is this peppermint extract or vanilla extract in this bottle? Vanilla. That is all that is there.

Taste is, well, vanilla. I do pick up some hop freshness, but it is like the freshness of brushing your teeth and then drinking orange juice. The flavors, to me, just don't work.

mouthfeel is decent, creamy.

Overall, I did not expected a vanilla beer cooler like thing. This is not for me.

Do note: I hope Southern Tier keeps brewing this and other extremely crazy beers. There are many people out there with tastes that match up with this stuff. If you like sweeter brews or want to try some over-the-top vanilla, seek this one out!

2.7/5  rDev -31.3%

22 oz. Bottle poured into a weizen glass (all that was available).

Appearance: Dark brown, with a ½” tan head that recedes to a ring. Lots of lacing.

Smell: Big vanilla and caramel with a slight hint of roasted malt.

Taste: Sweet, sweet, vanilla/caramel hits the palate first. I was ready for sweet, but this is easily the sweetest beer I’ve ever had. Then the beer moves to a bitter malt finish with heavy on the bitter, this beer is almost “bi-polar”. I would not call it balanced as the sweetness and bitterness are very separate and distinct. In-fact the bitterness lingers as an aftertaste that is not all that pleasant.

Mouthfeel: I kept this beer cold and kept returning the bottle to the fridge after each pour and still I found it overly cloying. As it warmed in the glass it got worse.

Overall: I was expecting an extreme beer and got one, but even as a sweet/milk stout this was over the top. I admit drinking the whole bomber was way too much, maybe as a small pour desert beer this could work but I highly doubt I’d buy it again.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company