Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States | website

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

Added by ph2001 on 07-12-2008

Reviews: 1,429 | Ratings: 4,476
4.73/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My favorite beer that I can get on a reg... bar none and I'm an IPA guy. My next favorite is Sierra Nevada Bigfoot... I could drink ST CB every day... Wish it were easier to get 1/6 kegs of it. Honestly, the first time I had it I was surprised as I'd ever been by a beer. Amazing.

Smell - like a mochacino... Delicious
Taste - a perfect mix of coffee, chocolate, and sweet vanilla... With a hint of alcohol
Mouth - nice thickness, without being a milkshake
Appearance - if it appears in my glass... I'm happy

3.54/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

A: Dark brown to inky black, thick white head.

S: Sweet vanilla caramel.

T: Sweet malt, coffee/espresso notes. Bitterness on the back of the tongue.

M: Very creamy!

D: Good, but the more you drink, the more bitter it gets. They took the "brulee" part a bit too seriously, the burnt flavor is too overwhelming to drink more than half a glass of this.

3.52/5  rDev -10.4%

Wow, awesome aroma for this beer. Smells like butterscotch, caramel, and vanailla. Really nice pour, medium tan head. Flavor was very good, but got to be a little too sweet for me. The vanilla, in particular, was a little too overpowering for me. Bomber bottle is way too much for me. Really unique brew.

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

The very first bottle from The Perfect Pour (Columbia, MD), plucked right out of the box.

Smells of vanilla and coffee cream, quite good aroma. Dark, not quite jet black color. Smooth and creamy drinker, it hit a ton of intangibles here.

However, the taste didn't do it for me. As per the rules I'm judging taste by the style and what they were trying to accomplish here which clearly will earn good marks. But from a personal point of view, and this is probably heresy, I didn't come close to enjoying this offering from Southern Tier.

The taste is a bit more coffee cream than creme brulee, but the effect is similar of a sweet, vanilla and coffee and chocolate dessert beer. Very little to complain about if you dig that combination of flavors. Well worth the effort if so.

3.7/5  rDev -5.9%

A - Deep black / brown, very minimal head and carbonation. Looks thick.

S - Smeels of vanilla, cream, and burnt sugar. Smells like a beer called Creme Brulee should very aromatic.

T - Sweet burnt sugar taste. Creamy, sugary, dark.

M - Viscous mouthfeel, very minimal carbonation, thick and rich.

D - If you want a sweet beer with a lot of character, then this would be an excellent choice. Definitely a desert beer, and a good choice for an after dinner drink.

Served On Tap at Westover Market Arlington, VA

A: Dark black havoc. Zero foam residue. Pure heaven!

S: ohhh my my my. Sweet sweet malt balls, Vanilla sugar cookies, dark roast Costa Rican coffee beans. Caramelized sugar cane.

T: OMG. OMG.. seriously... OMG... Southern Tier are the masters of Dessert beer!!!
Ready??
Vanilla with caramel swirl ice cream. Toasted Honey bun. Oak Cask. Dark roasted Costa Ricas coffee. Whopping malt balls. Like WHOPPERS candy in a glass!!
The Full creamy dairy milk masks the booze in this utterly delicious brew.

M: Richy creamy medium carbo mouth full. This would be glorious on a nitro tap! Smooth and gum tingling. It really coats the tongue O so well.

O: So amazing. It's so out of this world amazing that it should be held high above all other stouts as WOW... This will knock the socks off anyone who tries it. This is what should be served with my last meal..
Get yours NOW. Today.. Check all beer places. and Buy as many bottles as you can.. Well save some. just get 3.

2.4/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

9.6% ABV and 288 calories per bottle. I was attracted to tasting something different and surprise how well it smelled after opening the bottle. The taste was extremely off-putting - vanilla and coffee sounds attractive but the blunt caramel/butterscotch favor that kicks in does not match well with the combination. Easily one of the sweetest beers I've ever had. To be fair, you get used to it the more you consume, but it was just a weird taste at first. This is one combination I'll probably never see again and I do not regret trying it, however I would not purchase again.

2.03/5  rDev -48.3%

This is such a bizarre beer. The name alone would drive me NOT to taste it but we'll take one for the team here. (Note, I am generally not a fan of milk stouts)

About three oz poured into a sample glass from draft.

Pours a deep, opaque black with an offwhite head that quickly dissipates leaving spotty bubbles on top of the brew.

THE NOSE IS INSANE! So much vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, chocolate, roasted malts. It's literally a punch to the senses. If the beer tastes anything like this it should be good.

Woah, what happened to the taste? Initially the taste does follow the nose but only for a second. The wonderful spice armoa from the nose is swallowed up in a bitterness that's really unpleasing. This bitterness along with the OVERWHELMING sweetness of the beer is just nausiating. There is a fair amount of lactic acid which really doesn't help the beer in the least. It's almost super sweet bile. Blech.

The mouthfeel is much thinner than I would have wanted out of a beer claiming this much flavor. Relatively moderate carbonation coupled with a too-thin mouthfeel and the ever-lingering bitterness/sweetness combo does not help this beer at all.

I've never claimed to be a fan of milk stouts and this doesn't help the cause IMO. I'd avoid this brew and take a well-rounded imperial stout over it without all the "pizazz."

Avoid.

4.34/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured into a tulip glass. Very dark, no light passes through. Almost no head. Small ring stays around the edge. Huge vanilla & caramel nose. Some coffee too. The first sip is very sweet & intense. You almost need to drink a little to get past he sweetness. After the initial shock the flavor is very reminiscent of tiramisu instead of creme burlee. Definately a dessert beer. Mild carbonation with a medium mouth feel. Once you get past the first taste and it warms a little this is a very enjoyable beer. The 24 oz. bottle would be a great dessert split between four people. I don't think I would like more that one at a sitting but I'll keep one in the around for friends.

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a standard pint glass. From a growler at the Charleston Beer Exchange 8-27/11

A: Completely black with a great head with a lot of sticky lacing.

S: Very sweet dessert smell. Vanilla, butterscotch, some caramel.

T: Very sweet with just a tiny bit of hop bitterness. Vanilla, butterscotch and caramel.

M: Full bodied with soft carbonation. Thick and creamy.

O: I liked this, but I will not be getting a growler again. Definitely will and have got bottles.

3.53/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This stout pours a rich dark brown to black with a very thin tan head that quickly recedes to the edge finishing in a halo around the stout.

Chocolate and vanilla dominate the nose when initially nosing this brew. It pulls no punches, as it states that it is what it is.

Initial taste of maltiness is quickly overtaken by chocolate and vanilla followed by a buttery caramel finish. It truly is creme brulee in a bottle.

This stout has a rich creamy mouthfell with moderate carbonation. More carbonation that I expected from such a rich brew.

Overall this stout is no doubt a dessert beer through and through. It is very difficult imagining drinking more then one pint in a row. However, as a dessert beer it does the job exquisitely. I would certainly reccomend this brew to others as a dessert beer only. To those who do not like sweet brews keep your distance. I would've scored this brew higher if it weren't so one dimensional.

4.19/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Glass Used: Tulip

Appearance: The body is a glossy black which is opaque as a brick wall. A quarter inch beige head formed and quickly scattered leaving only a ring of micro bubbles around the edge of the glass. Virtually no lacing left behind.

Smell: Huge, fragrant vanilla and butterscotch cream, brown sugar, and carmelization notes. A lot of sweetness on the nose here.

Taste: Big vanilla and custard sweetness,with some burnt sugar and malt bitterness. Surprised how balanced it is considering the nose was very sweet. The booze did show up in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Wow. Very chewy, smooth and creamy. Medium carbonation.

Overall: Pretty nice milk stout but could not finish the entire bomber by myself. It tastes like a creme brulee. If you are a big fan of the dessert (I am) then you'll love this beer. Would love to pair this with a carmelized banana dessert as Southern Tier suggests.

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: This beer poors pretty dark, almost black, with a nice white heads that lingers. Lacing is ok.

S: Vanilla and Coffee are the most presnt in this. I also found notes that would be very similiar to a butterscotch candy.

T: Vanilla and sweet cream up front, followed by espresso and dark chocolate. Tasty, but different.

M: This beer is very smooth and creamy, with a medium carbonation. Basic stout mouth feel.

O: Not a bad beer, it is on the sweet side but nobody said that was bad. This would pair nicely with a variety of deserts. Again, this one is worth a try.

3.66/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Again I find milk stouts too rich for me. It seems like there is a protein element present that is off putting. This one looks great and the body is nice and thick. The nose is strong butterscotch which would be quite nice if it were toned down a bit. It's just too sweet and strong. The taste is similarly overloaded to the point that I finds self just trying to get it down instead of spending any time with it. I don't want to knock it too much since others seem to be high on it, just coming to the conclusion that this family is not for me.

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

Had this on tap at Holy Smoke

Appearance - Beautifully pitch black.
Nose - pure vanilla period.
Taste - Vanilla dominated, sweetness was upfront. An excellent dessert beer, but not a food beer.
Mouth - smooth but very coating. lingers for a long time.
Drinkability - Very sweet but easy. It most certainly is a different style of beer, and worth trying, but needs to be drank last.

It is worth noting that after it started to warm up, the vanilla disapated and some nice roasted flavors came in.

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

Bottle, poured into a snifter.

Pours a really dark black with a small very dark brown head.

The smell is intense...first pass i get a load of butterscotch, vanilla and some caramel. Smells very sweet, but not really like a creme brulee, im missing the burnt sugar.

Taste is a lot of butterscotch, some vanilla and now i taste the burnt sugar. This is very sweet, its a tough bottle to drink by yourself. Definitely a dessert beer and a sipping beer.

Mouthfeel is nice, good carbonation, smooth feel, but again its very sweet. Being how sweet it is i have to make the drink ability a 3.5.

3.84/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

My highest praise is that this beer represented truth in advertising--the flavor was an undeniable dessert beer that was very sweet, and had creamy-caramel-toffee flavor just like you'd expect from the name. I was in favor of the high ABV (especially high as a milk stout)--the booze gave the sweetness dimension.

It almost felt like you could achieve this beer by brewing a solid base and then adding butterscotch syrup. That may sound a bit cynical. Actually by this I mostly mean that the taste was on target.

The flip side: A few sips in, I couldn't decide if I actually *wanted* a beer that tasted like burnt cream/caramel. My bad? I rated relatively highly even though this wasn't ultimately a beer I'd buy again.

2.96/5  rDev -24.7%

had this out of a bomber, poured into a snifter.

poured rather dark, very deep brown and nearly opaque with a 1/2 finger width head. the head didn't last too long and did not leave much lacing to speak of.

before you ever pour the beer, however, you can definitely smell it. upon opening the bottle the room fills with an intense aroma of vanilla bean, caramel and butterscotch - almost reminded me of the smell of hazelnut kahlua. the smell is very strong, very rich and very sweet. in fact, even after having had this beer a few hours ago, the smell still lingers in my kitchen.

there is very little hop flavor, if any at all; the taste is mostly of butterscotch, vanilla, caramel and some milk chocolate. as the beer warmed up the alcohol taste become more pronounced and offset the balance of the caramel and vanilla flavors; this beer is better served on the chillier side. the flavors were fairly overwhelming, tasted like i was drinking a white russian mixed heavily with kahlua as opposed to a stout beer.

mouth feel was decent; very smooth, creamy and sweet with the carbonation on the low end. coats the palate well and leaves a strong taste lingering long after the beer is finished.

overall a very interesting beer. this was unlike anything i have had and i am not sure if i would be able to finish an entire bomber of this by myself without getting sick; it is just too rich. however, it is worth at least one try for those who are curious and open minded.

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

Look: Dark, rich brown with a moderate khaki head.
Feel: Full bodied with soft, effervescent carbonation. Slightly sticky, rich mouthfeel.
Aroma: Sweet, nutty, and vanilla laden. Like molassess drizzled over vanilla beans.
Taste: Sugary, caramel, roasty toasty yummy dessert style goodness. Very satisfying, but might be cloying if I tried to drink more than one in a sitting.

This is not a very "balanced" beer if you like to kill a few brews in a sitting. This is very rich and sweet. Which is fantastic if that's what you're in the mood for. But I feel like this is a winter beer, or something to only have every once in a while. Delicious, but it might be a bit much. Then again, that goes for a lot of milk stouts in my opinion, as it's very decadent and and sweet for a beer. That said I love a good imperial stout. Strong, heavy, and in-your-face flavor with no apologies. I like it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the Sierra grille in Northampton. Nearly opaque with mocha head that fades to a ring with a nice looking cloud.
Smells like creme brûlée.
Tastes like creme brûlée.
I could drink as many of these as I could or would want to eat creme brûlées. One. Very sweet but in my opinion delicious.

3.6/5  rDev -8.4%

Bomber split with my finacee. Poured into a goblet.

A - Pours pitch black with very litte/no head.
S - Smells like candy. Vanilla and caramel are all that I could smell. It smells great, but certainly not like any beer I've ever had.
T - At first it taste like a typical stout, with lots of malt and a hint of hops. The vanilla and caramel take over almost immediately though and dominate through the finish. There's some heat from the alcohol at the end.
M - It's thick and creamy and very smooth.
D - Low. The sweetness is almost overpowering at times and the alcohol content makes it a sipper.

This is a unique beer to say the least and I thought it was good. I'm not sure I'd get it again for a while, but I was very glad to try it.

2.06/5  rDev -47.6%

The only thing I didn't like about this "beer" is the fact that it smells like Creme Brulee and tastes like Creme Brulee. The smell and taste of the desert are too overpowering for me to actually sit and enjoy the beer. I like flavor in my beers but not this much flavor.

4.34/5  rDev +10.4%

dark as dark can be, with a thick pour, that almost reminded me of maple syrup. tiny dark kahaki bubbles.

my goodness, the smell is amazing. The the Vanilla just grabs ahold and wont let go. Every time you go in to catch something else the Vanilla just invites you back. has a little earthyness, and a slight coffee overtones.

taste is rich heavy sweetened coffee, almost with too much creamer, and about 10 packs of sugar. Vanilla isn't as big of a flavor as i would have expected out of the smell.

Milky, and smooth. The carbonation is a pleasent sting that leaves just enough but takes away just as much. Leaving you with that glass in your hand, just begging to be devoured. I would consider this one to be heavy bodied.

overall this is one of the better stouts i have had, and would compare it to a mixed youngs chocolate stout, with a left hand milk stout.

4.62/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a fantastic imperial stout. The first aromas are of toasted caramel, vanilla, & maple syrup. The dark midnight color and thin dark head tells you that you are about to drink a stout beer. This thick and creamy beer is very complex with flavors. On the pallette we taste vanilla, and glazed caramel, just like a creme brûlée dessert. Had it at Sapsuckers in Huntington, NY.

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

Served in 22oz mug.

Pours a completely opaque black with highlights, that could easily go unnoticed, of brown showing at the edges. 1 inch head that condenses to a thin layer of thick foam over the top that lasts for a while. Like a cappuccino. Leaves thick lacing on the mug.

Smells VERY SWEET. Might turn some off but I don't dislike it. I mean what else would one expect from a southern tier imperial milk stout? Vanilla, caramel, mocha, a hint of alcohol but the sweetness definitely masks the actual abv. Almost reminds me of the way baileys smells, or some kind of french vanilla coffee/mocha adult milkshake. Or, well, creme brûlée beer.

Tastes the same as everything listed above basically except for the fact that the 9.6% abv definitely shines through here. The intense burnt caramel, malty, brown sugary, mocha milkshake sweetness still makes it hard to tell the beer is almost at 10% but there is definitely a slight boozy burn that fights its way to the front. I think with some aging this beer would be 5 in the taste category.

The mouthfeel is very syrupy, sticky, smooth. Warming on its way down. Fits the beer well but if anything Id say I wish the body was a little more full to make up for the intense flavors/alcohol.

Overall I would recommend trying this beer for the simple reason that its pretty over the top in flavor. Awesome idea for an imperial milk stout for sure! I do think the abv stuck out a little too much though and at $9 a bomber I doubt I'll be buying it again. Unless i buy it to age it which seems like it'd be a great idea. Id imagine a lot of "veterans" have been/will be bashing this beer because of the overly sugary syrupy boozy flavor but hey, thats what you get for buying an "Imperial Milk Stout". I try to rate the beers according to which category they fall under and for an imperial milk stout I'd say Southern Tier did a great job on this one.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company