Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series)Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

Added by ph2001 on 07-12-2008

Reviews: 1,448 | Ratings: 4,533
1.71/5  rDev -56.5%

This is a beer I cannot get into, I was so pumped when it came out, I drove to the brewery and found that it was the worst tasting beer at Soutern Tier. It tasted so fake, like they used some real cheap off flacoring to give it that sweet taste. And it was more vanilla tasting than I thought it should be. It does look nice and smell pretty good but it end there.

4.64/5  rDev +18.1%

Appearance:
Dark like a dark chocolate. Not quite opaque, but difficult to get an eye through. A bit of foamy head which leaves a pleasant lacing.

Smell:
Whoa! Creme brulee all the way! This was definitely made to smell like dessert. Vanilla, chocolate, caramel... I don't even know what else to say. This is beer, right?

...Right?

Taste:
Vanilla and coffee beans, with a chocolatey sweetness. It's kind of milky too, certainly more so than a lot of milk stouts I've had. A bit of heat comes in as I swallow, but it isn't upsetting. There's a bitterness, but it reminds me way more of a strong coffee than hops. Not to say there isn't a hops presence though. It's just in the background, and has more of a grassy quality.

Mouthfeel:
Thick like milk, and medium/low in carbonation. You can definitely taste it for a while.

Overall:
Well, I have no reason to lie. I love this beer. I'm a big vanilla bean fan though, so if you're not a vanilla person you should skip this. I for one wish this was available all the time, as I have a hard enough time finding the vanilla beers I lust after. This is well made, and makes a delicious desert or sweet snack beer. Just look out for the ABV.

4.68/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a jet black color with a creamy tan head. Smells like a vanilla milkshake. Tastes like vanilla butterscotch. Mouthfeel is creamy. Overall, another impressive beer from Southern Tier.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Purchased a couple bottles of this beer with the intent on using one to bake with and the other to share with my girl. We're sharing one now and I have to say it's rather enjoyable although I can't see myself drinking a whole bottle so I'm glad I'm sharing this one.

It smells as advertised, extremely sweet. Lots of caramel and vanilla. Vanilla extract strong. Some maltiness but the sweet notes overpower everything. I also get some booze and a little chocolate as well.

The taste bakes the nose up. Vanilla, caramel, sugar, and more sugar. Some roastiness on the back end and a little bit of malt as well. I also get some bitter chocolate and a bit more booze on the palate than on the nose. The mouthfeel is heavy, really heavy. It's almost too heavy but it suits the style so I forgive the weight of it.

It's a really interesting beer and one I'm glad to have tried. As I said earlier, I don't think I could drink a whole bomber on my own but this is certainly a beer I'll drink once or twice a year. Once or twice will be it though. I can't wait to eat the brownies my girlfriend is going to make with the other bottle.

3.73/5  rDev -5.1%

Just a shade shy of pitch black with a surprisingly light tan slight head that quickly becomes just a ring. Leaves some lace, but not enough to get excited about. Smell is SWEET. It smells like Creme Brulee. I mean almost exactly like creme brulee. Loads of vanilla and some cocoa. No perceptible alcohol or yeast here. Taste follows exactly where you would expect it to. Loads of vanilla, some marshmallow, and a hint of cocoa. Actually it reminds me very much of creme brulee flavored salt water taffy, but I'm not sure why. This comes across as more of a liqueur than a beer, but again no detectable alcohol warming. Feel is thick and somewhat viscous. Drinkability is low, mostly due to the almost overwhelming sweetness. Well worth a try, if only for the uniqueness.

3.74/5  rDev -4.8%

I've heard a lot of good things about Southern Tier, so I picked up this, Pumking, and Mokah. Here goes nothing.

22oz bottle with no date served into a Goose Island pint glass at 42 degrees (as stated on the bottle).

A- Pour yields roughly one finger of mocha colored head that disappears a little too quickly for my liking. I prefer a nice beer moustache from time to time...Jet black color with some carbonation bubbles collecting on the sides. Looks okay.

S- Really unique. Smells of an extremely rich dessert coffee. Lots of vanilla in here, some cinnamon (dare I say). Smells like a birthday cake.

T- Just like the nose, it has a superb richness to it. Some cappuccino, coffee, vanilla. I say some, but what i mean is "up the wazoo". How much sugar is in this?

M- perhaps there is a little too much carbonation, but the beer is incredibly smooth for 9.6%.

O- Based on reading other reviews, I expected this to be a little out there in terms of originality and uniqueness. I've had nothing like this before, and while it's a really fun beer to have, it's not something I'll be going back to too often, mainly because it's extremely rich. It's a true sipper. Maybe it's just me, but this tasted more like a tiramisu than it did creme brulee, but I love both, so who cares?

4.11/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from the bomber into a tulip.

Do you like sweet things? You may like this beer. Do you like sweet things that are so sweet they make you exclaim, 'aahhh?' Then that's one step in the right direction. Do you like things that are so sweet they're fluffy pink kittens that poop rainbows? Then Southern Tier's Imperial Crème Brûlée Stout is the beer for you.

The Crème Brûlée Stout pours like a normal stout, motor oil dark. If you hold the beer up to the light it'll eclipse that shit, which is a quality I greatly appreciate in a beer. My pour yielded very little head and I poured it intentionally to yield the maximum amount of head possible. The smell of this beer rocks my nose senses to the max! Seriously, I wish they made candles that smelled like this, because I'd totally go fruity and buy some and have 'em lit 24/7.

"What's that smell? It's like only six in the morning."
"That's mo' fuckin' vanilla mocha sex!"

You know there's vanilla in the beer the moment you smell it, you would have known before that if you read the label. The smell of the vanilla is very dominant, but also present are chocolate characteristics and a hint of coffee. It really smells like a vanilla caramel mocha. Drinking it drives this point home. But boy is Crème Brûlée Stout sweeet! Drinking it can be a little taxing, so you absolutely have to take your time drinking, a sipper as it were. There's a slight amount of hops present but the vanilla beats the hops down like they're Oliver asking for more. It's called Imperial Crème Brûlée Stout for a fucking reason. This is a great dessert beer. In fact I had it once with some double layered chocolate cake and it made my dick move.

Take your time with this beer and if you enjoy sweet things then you'll like this beer. The mouth-feel is thick and rich, it's a real delight to drink. The smell is wonderful and the taste is very unique. Try it.

Plus there's totally cows on the label, what's not to love?

3.96/5  rDev +0.8%

This is what I call a "novelty beer". It's made with a specific purpose: to taste like something. It's not a quaffing beer, it's a slow sipper as you sit around the table after dinner; or maybe with dessert or even AS dessert. If I were rating this as a quaffing beer, the score would be much lower.

Look: dark, just like a stout should. There's a thick creamy head that things out. There is little to no carbonation; however, it is not a "still" beer. As I swirled the glass I could see how thick the beer was based on the "legs" on the side of the glass. It looked like it would be thick and sweet.

Smell: like Creme Brulee, butterscotch, vanilla, cream. Smelled like dessert.

Taste: this beer needs to be warmer than usual. It's surprisingly balanced for such a sweet beer. It tastes just like creme brulee, this beer could be served as a dessert. It was fun tasting it, but more than two 4-6 oz servings would have been over the top.

Feel: it's thick. Not very carbonated, almost undercarbonated. More carbonation would have resulted in acidity on the palate that would have distracted from the overall taste and experience.

Overall: this is meant to share with friends. Don't serve it too cold. Have it as dessert.

4.21/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Dark as night, creamy latte-like froth along the top. Smells like bitter chocolate and caramel. It's incredible if you like flavored stouts. Flavor follows the nose, but it's far more intense. Opens like a high ABV Stout, ends like an Iced Frappacino. What impressed me most was the finish. Your mouth is left with a feeling similar to finishing a satisfying desert, not a beer. That alone makes this beer worth being revisited.

4.87/5  rDev +23.9%

This is the most original beer that I have ever tasted. It tasted like I was drinking caramel sauce. It was sweet and delicious. It had a thick mouthfeel. Served ice cold, it tasted like I was drinking a milkshake. I couldn't sit there drinking it all night, but I couldn't think of anything I would rather drink with my dessert. This is the best tasting beer I've ever had. And they hide the fact that is 10% alcohol very well.

4.31/5  rDev +9.7%

22 oz. bottle poured into Southern Tier tulip
A- Deep black, Held up to light dark ruby red, Off-white/tannish head builds quickly and then fades away into almost nothing soon after
S- Big time vanilla, caramel, sweet chocolate and sugar, smells like something I want to sink my teeth into
T- Intense sweetness, caramel, vanilla, cappucino and burnt sugar, not complex but very delicious
M- Big, smooth and creamy, nice bit of carbonation on the tongue
O- Maybe the most unique beer I've ever had, Enjoy a few bottles of this every year, not for everyone, but for a dessert beer they really nailed this one

4.49/5  rDev +14.2%

Fresh batch bottled on June 28th, 2012. 22 oz. bottle split 3 ways with 2 friends.

Appearance: Pours a midnight black with a finger of a brown head.

Smell: Smells like vanilla frosting. No joke.

Taste - Taste is vanilla in your face with slight burned malts, chocolate, and a tinge of alcohol but not even close to being overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is medium.

Overall: One of the most unique beers I've ever had. Absolutely 1 in a million. Insane. Great beer.

1.36/5  rDev -65.4%

Everything is ok until you take a sip of this beer. The smell and the look are pretty nice but that's where the party ends.

The sweet flavor of the beer just tastes very fake and processed. It doesn't taste like Creme Brulee, it tastes like a non-fat yogurt or something. If you are new to southern tier don't let this one scare you away.

4.77/5  rDev +21.4%

Where do I start. I poured a bottle of this into my snifter and was speechless.

Without a doubt, the best smelling beer I have ever known. Smells of sweet cream, vanilla, caramel, and roasty coffee. Taste was just as remarkable as smell. Tastes of creme, coffee, caramel, and vanilla coated the palate with a creamy goodness. Sweet but not too sweet. All ingredients compliment each other in perfection. Drinkability suffers just a bit because of its desert like nature. I couldnt drink a whole lot of this at one sitting, but damn I wish I could. Un"F'n"believable. Love it!!!

4.83/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a deep dark black with big, tan head that sticks around and leaves a lot of thick lacing.

I forgot the name of this beer real quick and when I went smell it I said, Woah! Burnt sugar. Well, duh. More butterschotchy, roasted notes than vanilla, really, but this thing smells like a creme brulee, or even more a vanilla frappicino from *$s.

Super sweet. Tastes like the smell. I feel like I'm drinking a frappe. Sweet, flavored espresso. Holy crap this beer is a sipper. Dessert in a bottle.

Mouth feel is just as creamy as it should be. Nice and thick, smooth, Alcohol is well hidden. Bravo.

3.84/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Has a deep black color is about a half finger worth of head.

S: This has an incredibly intense aroma. The smell of sweet vanilla dominates. Can pick up a little bit of coffee, but it is hard to not notice anything other than the vanilla.

T: The front of this one starts off tasting like a standard coffee flavored stout. It quickly progresses to the vanilla noted in the smell and has a smooth sweet finish. Overall it is hard to describe this beer other than a sweet dessert beer. I haven't had anything like it before. It is good, but something I wouldn't drink too much of due to the sweetness.

4.32/5  rDev +9.9%

A: Pours a two-finger pure white head with diminishing lacing. Light carbonation is evident when poured in a 8oz snifter.
S: Nose is full of sweet burned carmel with a deep sugary-malt undertone. It is what you would expect from the name.
T: This beer does not dissapoint or miss-market the experience. This is definantly a night-capper with a descent amount of sugary, carmel, creamy malt and an absence of balance within the volume of the beer.
M: Heavy but sweet with a hint of dark roasted malt.
O: A great beer for dessert, after-dinner food pairings, or for a beer drinker that has a sweet-tooth. I enjoyed the first glass poured out of a 32oz growler, the rest was regretfully drained to the mouth from price obligations.

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2012 bottling. Had it in the cellar since July. Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a deep black with a slight tan head. Lots of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Huge custard and vanilla notes. Smells like . . . .what else ? . . . .creme brulee.

Taste: Follows the nose. Big notes of vanilla bean and custard. I also taste some stone fruit, hop bitterness, milk chocolate, molasses, more vanilla, and earthy spice. All of this is complimented by warm alcohol.

Mouthfeel: It's medium bodied, but the finish is long and complex - a solid 1 to 2 minutes after each sip.

Overall: Wow, this beer aged well. Accessible, yet complex. Multifaceted, but it emphasizes the vanilla. Just really darn good. Would definitely buy again.

This is my first beer review so bear with me (but definitely not my last review).

Heard a lot about this beer. I really like a dark beer, and a bit of sweetness should make it even better. Poured cold from a 22 oz bottle into a snifter.

A: Despite a vigorous pour, this beer only produced a two finger head that dissipated quickly. Dark mocha color that permitted minimal light penetration. The head was a nice light mocha color while it lasted.
Didn't take away from the experience though.

S: WOW, does this beer smell like a dessert! Caramel is the most pronounced smell at first, then you get some vanilla and chocolate. If this tastes like it smells, no dessert for me tonight.

T: Just like the label says, Creme Brulee in a bottle. Nothing more to add.

M: Mouthfeel is very smooth. Very full body that lingers long after the the drink is finished.

D: This is a fabulous beer, that I would actually categorize as a "Dessert Beer" if such a thing exists. I can and will drink this again and again. This is one of the first beers that I would not be able to drink an entire bomber myself, way too sweet. But when your only negative is that you are too sweet, that's OK.

Day 2: Since I could not drink the entire beer all at once, I sealed it for the next day. While it was good the second day, it actually got sweeter and flatter. Drink it all at once.

Reviewed on 08-03-2010

4.54/5  rDev +15.5%

Picked this up during a trip north to MN. 650ml poured into an Ommegang chalice.

a- opaque, woody dark brown with a thin tan head.

s- smell is amazing. Right away I can tell this brew is aptly named. A big hit of real good vanilla/butterscotch pudding. Undertones of rich coffee and chocolate round out the wonderful aroma. This really just smells like a rich dessert. Very faint alcohol presence masked heavily by the dessert aromas. Impossible to resist. I could smell this forever.

t- Starts with burnt sugar and a lot of vanilla bean and toffee. A lot of roasted and caramel malt comes through in the middle, reminding me that this is a stout, Then a slightly boozy finish with the satisfying, creamy insides of the dessert. I was expecting this to be far from an imperial stout in the taste, and am pleasantly surprised. The sweetness is powerful, but this still tastes like a stout to me. The finish is a lingering vanilla, milk and burnt sugar, like having just eaten a delicious creme brulee. As a dessert lover, this is awe-inspiring to me.

m- medium to full-bodied beer with VERY little carbonation. I definitely wish it had a tad more life to it in that regard. The full body complements the flavors wonderfully, though.

d- well, what can I say. This beer is pretty much the ultimate dessert drink. Heck, I would make this beer the focal point of a dessert. I think drinking an entire bomber of this by oneself is a tad much, but me and my sweet tooth enjoyed every drop. Very, VERY good beer and unlike anything I've ever tasted.

4.39/5  rDev +11.7%

Appearance: Jet black, opaque and a little thick looking. Topped with a thin, bubbly mocha colored head that quickly dissipates, leaving a ring around the top of the beer

Aroma: You can smell this as soon as you pour it, and man, does it smell good! It really does smell like legit crème brulee. The first thing that hits your nose is that delicious burnt sugar that you find on top of the desert. It's carmelly and sweet with some notes of vanilla in the background. Underneath that, you can pick up hints of coffee and maybe some roasted malts. Awesome.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Mmm. The taste is pretty spot on to the nose. Vanilla, burnt sugar, caramel, dried fruit, roasted coffee and malts follow each other in this delicious medley of flavors and finish in a slightly bitter, burnt aftertaste. This beer is soooo good. It tastes like desert, but not in a cloying or overpowering way. Granted, I have a sweet tooth, but man. Delicious. The mouth feel is medium and possibly a little chewy. It's not super carbonated at all... If I had any complaint, it would be that this beer isn't creamy enough. By no means is it thin, but I feel like a beer as delectable as this one should be super creamy and thick. But that could be just me.

Notes: This is GOOD beer. The only problem is, as far as drinkability goes, it just has too much flavor. I'm trying to make my way through a bomber (done with half) and I'm getting a little overwhelmed. Kind of like... I'll eat one crème brulee happily, I'll even dig into the second one with a smile on my face... but half way through that second desert, man, I'm full.

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

A: Pours a dark thick black with a thin layer of tan head.

S: Smells like caramel as soon as I open the bottle. There's also notes of coffee, vanilla and chocolate

T: Vanilla and caramel are dominate, there's also a flavor of hazlenuts and chocolate. Over the beer is fairly sweet with a hint of bitterness at the finish.

M: Creamy body with a light carbonation

D: The sweetness is a little strong but overall this beer made a nice last beer of the night drink

3.67/5  rDev -6.6%

On Draft at my new favorite beer bar, The Coffee District in Delray Beach, FL

A- Dark black body no light penetration and a creamy off-tan head. head stays through the glass while thinning to the rim of bubbles w/ some in the center, served cold in a cigar city snifter.

S- BUTTERYY, mmm with the alcohol smell it smell of a sweet butterscotch. slight malty smell to back the candy like smell.

T- Creamy buttery and caramalized flavors with strong alcohol mid sip. sweetness from start to finish with not much bitterness only some roasty flavors to balance. dry alcohol finish with 9.8% ABV with some sweet, but not overbearing.

M- Creamy medium body mouthfeel although dryness from alcohol makes it a thinner medium. dry from midsip and finish which is nice since it keeps the beer drinkable.

O- This is a dessert beer dream, very sweet so i don't think it would be more than a glass unless its really your thing (also due to high alcohol). Butterscotch flavors and high alcohol content also make it reminiscent of a liquor so this also docks its drinkablity for me. had a nice lambic type ale after and it was a good beer set for the night. an enjoyable draft treat.

3.49/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

Draft
L- very dark, nice off-white head that was fairly thick.
S-mild sweetness and malt.
T- beginning is sweet and has a bitter aftertaste.
F- very creamy, smooth and easy drinker for an imperial stout.
O- enjoyable beer. Great mouthfeel, average taste.

1.78/5  rDev -54.7%

A: Extremely dark brown, near black, with very little head. Some lacing.

S: Like vanilla extract and butterscotch.

T: Like flavor concentrates: butterscotch, vanilla, and maybe some of that chocolate cheesecake flavor from Nature's Flavors that I ruined more than one dessert with. Everything over the top, much too intense. Like trying to drink an overly-flavored dessert made by a very heavy-handed chef. The butterscotch, above all, stood out - and that's a flavor I really detest. This didn't seem to be a diacetyl-induced butterscotch, but something added - from a bottle - in the secondary. (I know that's not what they did; it says on the bottle they used real vanilla beans, for one - but it tastes like flavor extracts.) Aftertaste is of saccharin.

M: Sort of slippery. Coats the tongue and will not let it go. Almost puckers the tongue with the intensity of the flavors.

D: I could not finish it. The sink, I'm afraid, got part of it. I would have gladly given it to someone who could appreciate it properly if they'd been there.

I am definitely not part of the target market for this beer. First off, I should have read on the label the part about it being a milk stout. Oops. No wonder it upset my stomach. I can't have any milk product that hasn't been turned into hard cheese or yogurt without my innards complaining. Second, I had a big sweet tooth about 15 years ago; I would even have dessert with lunch sometimes. These days, however, given the option of a sugary dessert or an IPA, I'll pick the IPA every time. It just doesn't occur to me to eat sweets.

Southern Tier has been one of my favorite regional brewing companies. For now I'll stick to their IPA and Phin and Matt's, and hope their next big beer is more to my liking.

Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series) from Southern Tier Brewing Company