Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series)Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

Added by ph2001 on 07-12-2008

Ratings: 4,586 |  Reviews: 1,464

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

4.14/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A 22 oz bottle I thought I would try.

Poured a beautiful black/brown with a really good head for a stout.

Nose. Vanilla and more vanilla. So incredible.

Taste is not as good as the first two. It comes across as rather artificial and chemical laden. A nice creaminess and sweet chocolate are the main features. I thought I would let this warm up and air out a bit.

This was kind of a Jekyl and Hyde for me. I really got my hopes up but the taste is disappointing.

4.69/5  rDev +19.3%

GLASS: Chimay Goblet
TEMP: Chilled to approx 45 degrees
Acquired from corey0212 in Comic Book BIF (Thanks so much!)

Super dark ruby colored liquid. Nice, quickly dissipating head. No retention. Minimal lacing.

The smell is pure Creme Brulee. No doubt about that. One of the best noses on a beer, ever. Lots of sweet cream and buttery caramel notes. Delicious brown sugar. Butter toffee. Tons of vanilla. My neighbors can probably smell this one, down the street. Powerful.

Much like the nose. Big Creme Brulee taste right upfront. Brown sugar caramalized with butter and vanilla. Lucious sweet cream. Big stout maltiness follows, which brings amazing balance to the sweetness. Coffee notes mix with hints of marshmallows. Very slight hop bite. Just a hint of the alcohol content.
This is almost perfect. With just a touch more sweetness and vanilla, then take down the bite of the hops a little bit more...perfection.

The mouthfeel could be just a tiny bit more full/thick. As it is, it's lovely. Very smooth and silky. Super easy going down.

If I had regular access to Southern Tier, this would probably be my number one beer choice, my have to have on hand at all times.
I could easily drink a bomber of this in three swallows, maybe even two. It's that good.

1.75/5  rDev -55.5%

2.32/5  rDev -41%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber bottle into a snifter.

Appears a nearly opague pitch black, I say nearly as some red highlights are visible when held up to some light. One inch tan head bubbles up through the muck then settles down to a thin skim. Some spotty lacing.

Aroma is screaming butterscotch candy in my face. Not much else beneath that aside from some subtle vanilla. A bit too one-sided and I don't like butterscotch at all. I'm wondering if I might even be able to choke this down.

Taste is not quite as bad as I thought it might be based on the aroma. This stuff is just way too sweet and butterscotchy. There is only the slightest hint of roasty flavor, and even then it's more like milk chocolate, and it only come out after the swallow, but are still ends up dominated by the sweet butterscotch flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium-full and smooth.

Unless you are looking for an extremely sweet beer that tastes like butterscotch candy with a hint of milk chocolate, I would avoid this stuff. Not even close to what I was expecting. I really tried, but just couldn't finish the bomber. One of the few drain pours I've had. I'm gonna have to drink another beer to get the taste out of my mouth.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.05/5  rDev -47.8%

Bottle into snifter.

Pours dark brown with some light peeking through, and a slightly foamy, thin tan head.

Smell is butterscotch and a hint of roasty coffee.

Taste is big, sweet vanilla and butterscotch up front, with a touch of hop acidity peeking through and pairing with a sharp roastiness to bring the massive sweetness back in again. Unfortunately, the two balancing sides don't really mesh that well, and the result feels rather discordant, with the acidity being overemphasized by the slightly-too-sharp carbonation as well. Just a cloying, artificial tasting mess. I still cringe when I think of this beer.

Medium-heavy body and moderate to light but sharp carbonation.

Couldn't finish the bomber.

3.96/5  rDev +0.8%

3.96/5  rDev +0.8%

A - Not too much head. Very black in color. Head fades quickly too.

S - WHOA! Very sugary. Lots of big coffee. Huge vanilla too.

T - Dessert in a glass. Yum! Lots of sugar, but not a bomb. Big coffee and lots of caramel. Tastes like caramel corn.

M - Love. Perfect carbonation. No heat. lots of flavor and dry.

O - Weirdly delicious! A fantastically unique brew! Glad I tired this one!

This is a very unusual Imperial Milk Stout, but enjoyable. There is a very strong aroma of crème brûlée and it goes down incredibly smooth, much like the dessert.

The high ABV and slight dark coffee taste keep the sweetness at bay enough to be able to comfortably drink this. Definitely worth a try.

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

Got this, and a Pumking at By The Bottle up in WA....

- Looks like a stout! Dark cola color... can't see through it... quick mocha bubbly at pour, down to a little slew of lace.

- Rich sweet vanilla, roasted chocolate malt.. chocolate mouse, dark fudge... slight bitter coffee.. all around very desert-like!

- Nice smooth vanilla chocolate.. slight bittering hop that is very balanced with this... little bit of an Irish creme flavor.. maybe like that creamer you get in those little green containers at a 7-eleven. Very good.

- Little chewy... bitter dry... interesting aftertaste..

- 10%? Hides it very well, and is very smooth... overall this is the second brew that I actually quite like from this brewer. All the others I have reviewed before the Pumking I didn't like very much. Now I look forward to my Mokah I have been sitting on for about 6 months...

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout (Blackwater Series) from Southern Tier Brewing Company