Krampus (Imperial Helles Lager) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Krampus (Imperial Helles Lager)Krampus (Imperial Helles Lager)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Pilsner

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 07-15-2008

Ratings: 1,257 |  Reviews: 455

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

3.54/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a nice amber, practically orange, beautifully rich color with a head that is thick and settles slowly. The head is just a tiny bit off white in color hinting that the amber is transferred to the foam. The head settles extremely slowly and leaves a nice lacing down the glass.

The nose is dominated by the hops with a floral undertone. Nice but not great. Adequate at best.

The taste matches the description and name sake for this beer, Krampus. He very much sounds like a bitter character and this is a very bitter beer. I would say it more reminds me of an ESB on steroids.The hopping subdues the lagering making this more of a hop heads dream come true.

I think this beer would make an excellent lager if they backed the hops off about 15%. As for an Imperial it is quite good.

The moutfeel is just right for this style, if it were thinker the hops would most likely have an unpleasant finish, this instance of extreme hopping finishes surprisingly clean.

Overall I like this but it isn't my favorite. I can see myself drinking this again, however, I see my self changing the direction my hand goes if I were to reach for as there are others that are much better for the same price.

I recommend trying it as this is a great IPA/Lager. Just not my favorite.

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%