Krampus (Imperial Helles Lager) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Krampus (Imperial Helles Lager)Krampus (Imperial Helles Lager)
3.89/5
Krampus (Imperial Helles Lager)Krampus (Imperial Helles Lager)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Pilsner

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 07-15-2008

Ratings: 1,259 |  Reviews: 456

3.85/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: 3 finger frothy head with nice lacing on a clear 50/50 amber and golden body.

S: very malty and aromatous. Subtle sweet corn and earthy notes.

T: flavor is pretty boozy and sour. Malt and sweet corn in the background.

M: medium body and moderate carbonation.

Overall: The aroma is excellent. The boozy flavor is a little much but it mellows out as you drink it.

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

3.83/5  rDev -1.5%

Bomber with no freshness dating that pours a light amber colored body that is mostly clear. Two-finger off-white head that has good retention and good lacing.

The aroma is very IPA-like with a citrusy orange note coming out of the gate first. A little bready and sweet malt in the background but not much else.

Well, the flavor is not what I expected from the aroma. The hops are still dominant but lean more toward a pine and grassy flavor than the citrus that I picked up in the aroma. There is clearly still some citrus to be had, but it comes in secondary. The other flavors that I expected to get from a helles lager are much more muted.

Medium texture in the mouthfeel and just an interesting combination of ingredients overall that I like fairly well. If you like something a little different, give it I try.

2.5/5  rDev -35.7%

3.3/5  rDev -15.2%

Pours a brilliantly clear and vibrant deep orange color with a super sticky 2 finger off white head. Sweet subtle caramel malt on the nose with hints of biscuit and grain. Some earthy hops hidden underneath it all.

Medium in body with good carbonation. Strange front of the tongue bitterness. Very subdued flavor with a weaker malt profile than expected. Some toasty butteryness but not much with grassy bitter hops. Drinks like a somewhat more bitter hellos lager but the strangest part about this beer is that for such modest flavor the alcohol content is nowhere to be found.

Good beer but I expected a bit more from southern tier.

3.41/5  rDev -12.3%

bomber poured into pint glass

a: pours a dark copper, very golden, good visibility throughout

s: the smell was very average to me, I was kind of disappointed. very small hoppy smell, slighty floral

t: very crisp tasting beer, most of the flavor I'm getting is hops.

m: bitterness, smooth, medium-to-light body

o: I want to preface this saying that I'm not a big lager drinker, overall the beer was just slightly above average to me - this just being that is probably one of the better lagers I've tried.

Live tasting, bottle into Duvel Tulip

Appearance; pours a clear copper, with roughly two fingers of foamy straw colored head that quickly dissipates leaving a thin film of head with good lacing on the glass.

Smell; right out of the gate, Krampus hit me with a pretty wild fresh baked cherry almond bread kind of aroma... Wonderful, hoping it holds through to the flavor, as that is an incredible smell.

Taste; definitely yeasty and bready with some cherry or cranberry or other kind of red fruit esters creeping in at times... Missing is the almond and toast that I detected in the nose... A slight bit of alcohol astringency and hop bite on the finish.

Mouthfeel; slightly dry on the finish, that ties in well with the astringent alcohol notes in the beer, a little hop bite toward the end, with some residual bitterness...

Overall; I don't have a whole lot of experience with, or knowledge of this style, but I do know that I enjoyed the beer. I went into it with an open mind and a clean palate, while not an exceptional beer i do feel like it is a solid beer and I feel like this would be a good beer to drink in a liter mug!

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

Served out of a bomber into an Irish Pint glass.
Appearance-amber with medium carbonation, some lacing.
Smell-crisp, like a lager but with some citrus hop notes coming through.
Taste-bread taste with some notes of citrus hops coming through, dark fruit notes but very light.
Mouthfeel-pleasant and refreshing, very drinkable.
Overall-not a bad beer, I have not had a lager in a long time when I tasted this however. I would try this again, it is good for what it is, which would be one of the better lagers I have had.

Krampus (Imperial Helles Lager) from Southern Tier Brewing Company