Cuvee Series Three (Oak Aged Series) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Cuvee Series Three (Oak Aged Series)Cuvee Series Three (Oak Aged Series)
3.22/5
Okay
Cuvee Series Three (Oak Aged Series)Cuvee Series Three (Oak Aged Series)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by mcallister on 07-15-2008

3.15/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

4.28/5  rDev +32.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Cuvee 3, bottle bought along the Delaware River not too far from Philadelphia for $8.99.

Bottled somewhere around 2008-2009? Enjoyed during a rainy, hot late August evening, 2016.

Cuvee 3 was a gusher, exploding in my bare chest and making a sticky mess like a beery bukkake. But this brew is not over-carbonated; just lively and jovial despite the eight years it's been brooding inside the bottle. The color is a deep auburn with a surprisingly hefty white-colored head that lives some lacing behind.

The smell is of sweetness, unhinged sweetness, oh-my-god-delicious-but-I-got-diabetes sugary sweetness. Sugar, toffee, iced-tea, butterscotch. Dyacetil galore.

The taste follows the nose, with added raisins, grapefruit juice and Mad Dog 20-20. Vanilla, toffee, some hops. Nuttiness, caramel. I don't get much oak or barrel-aging, though.

The mouthfeel is rather fine for such an old beer, and overall I am surprised at how good this still is. Drinkable, well preserved, fine. Yessir, it is a sugah bomb... but if you like sweet beers, you'll enjoy this brew. It reminded me of the Mikkeller Foret series I recently had.

Also, and judging by its current sweetness, you could age this another eight years and it'd still be drinkable. The sugar will mellow more and more... Cuvee 3 is like one of those English barleywines you can have after 20 years. I *get* the bad reviews, but can't agree with them.

2.83/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

2.16/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.06/5  rDev -36%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

3.34/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.19/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.7/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Looking at some of the reviews I am really scratching my head with this one. I really enjoyed this. It's super sweet. The only thing I had against the beer was the back end and after taste, was a little rubbery tasting.

3.78/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

1.78/5  rDev -44.7%

Due to the packaging and the price I may have been expecting substantially more but this had the taste of a failed batch of beer that should never have been sold.

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

sweet sweet sweet sweet molasses sweet molasses and some more. tastes like unfermented malt extract... no really thats what it tastes like

2.5/5  rDev -22.4%

3.75/5  rDev +16.5%

3.25/5  rDev +0.9%

1.4/5  rDev -56.5%

Wow, I really wish I would've looked over some reviews before randomly buying this bottle.

Slight gusher open opening. Poured into a ST tulip, a glossy, dark brown color with a slight haze, topped with a cap of off white head; good retention and lacing. All downhill from there. When I first opened the bottle, it actually had a decent aroma somewhat resembling a vinous barleywine. But that quickly turned for the worse. I really don't even know how to accurately describe the horrors of this beer's aroma, but I honestly could not even bring the glass close to my face without throwing up a little in my mouth. Some cloying sweet caramel, grapes, solvent, battery acid, bile...I don't know, rotten raisins maybe? You know that puddle of old flat liquid that pools in the bottom of your bag of recyclables over the course of a week? Maybe that. My palate and all senses were pretty much destroyed at this point, but I held my nose and took a sip. Harsh sulfur, all kinds of cheap booze, varnish, rotten wood, sickeningly sweet rotten fruit. Wow, this was really bad. Not even going to make note of the mouthfeel, because after that one sip, the rest of this went down the drain, and I actually feel bad for my drain because of it.

Easily one of the worst beers I've had from the craft scene, and even when compared to some macros.

1.75/5  rDev -45.7%