Cuvee Series Three (Oak Aged Series) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Cuvee Series Three (Oak Aged Series)Cuvee Series Three (Oak Aged Series)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by mcallister on 07-15-2008

1.18/5  rDev -62.9%

Well I'll start by saying any beer that i drain pour gets a F

I was dumb enough to let some guys at a beer store that i do not frequent tell me that this beer was amazing and i had to buy it. So I bought 2 at 13.99 a piece passed up beer like Blushing monk for instance.

A- Very red cherry color

S- Tons of cherry maybe and sweetness no hops what so ever

T- Fruit, sugar, taste like cough syrup

M- I cant get past the sweetness

O- Nasty. Now what am i supposed to do with the other bottle?
DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS BEER

1.4/5  rDev -56%

Wow, I really wish I would've looked over some reviews before randomly buying this bottle.

Slight gusher open opening. Poured into a ST tulip, a glossy, dark brown color with a slight haze, topped with a cap of off white head; good retention and lacing. All downhill from there. When I first opened the bottle, it actually had a decent aroma somewhat resembling a vinous barleywine. But that quickly turned for the worse. I really don't even know how to accurately describe the horrors of this beer's aroma, but I honestly could not even bring the glass close to my face without throwing up a little in my mouth. Some cloying sweet caramel, grapes, solvent, battery acid, bile...I don't know, rotten raisins maybe? You know that puddle of old flat liquid that pools in the bottom of your bag of recyclables over the course of a week? Maybe that. My palate and all senses were pretty much destroyed at this point, but I held my nose and took a sip. Harsh sulfur, all kinds of cheap booze, varnish, rotten wood, sickeningly sweet rotten fruit. Wow, this was really bad. Not even going to make note of the mouthfeel, because after that one sip, the rest of this went down the drain, and I actually feel bad for my drain because of it.

Easily one of the worst beers I've had from the craft scene, and even when compared to some macros.

1.46/5  rDev -54.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

Pours puke orange with a small beige head leaving no retention or lacing.

By the time my nose was even a foot away, I could tell this one was bad. Strong caramel cherry and dark fruits. Way way too malty and a little funky smelling on top.

Straight up diabetes in the flavor. Lots of cherry and fig with some oak. Tastes like the fake 3% real fruit fruit juices. Beyond sweet.

Little carbonation and a full body which served to point out even more how sweet this one.

Good God this is one of the worst beers I've had in a while and one of the worst without any infection issues. No complexity whatsoever only an all out sweet assault. Out of the 6 people sharing at my house every single one drain poured this.

1.67/5  rDev -47.5%

Thanks to BigBlacke for getting ahold of this for me!

A-reddish chestnut with a thin cream colored head. looks beautiful!

S-smells like sweet syrup with some vanilla and oak. has a medium strength. it smells unique!

T-oh my...this beer i will never forget. it comes in with a taste of vanilla and oak and then it transforms and in to a large and odd bitterness. the after-taste has a bit of cinnamon spice but more than anything it reminds me of cough syrup...seriously...this whole beer reminds me exactly of cough syrup

M-i want to not the mouth-feel but i'm afraid to take another sip. well here i go...
it has a medium carbonation with a gross syrupy finish

D-...

1.7/5  rDev -46.5%

On tap at Lures.

Why me? Whyyy? Ugh, I think I finally found something more offensive to my palate than ST's cherry saison. This was devastatingly sweet, with vanilla and coconut along with some odd, misplaced bitterness. After a few sips this went straight down the drain. Whatever guys, this was rank.

1.75/5  rDev -45%

1.78/5  rDev -44%

Due to the packaging and the price I may have been expecting substantially more but this had the taste of a failed batch of beer that should never have been sold.

1.83/5  rDev -42.5%

A: Ruby in color, clear body, decent head given the ABV. Overall, a fine looking ale.

S: Bouquet is well presented, with honey, cantaloupe, and cinnamon clashing in an excessively sweet mess.

T: Sweet cannot begin to describe this beer. Even "cloying" seems to fall short. There are plenty of good flavors here (vanilla, creme brulee, melon) but this beer is just too damn sweet to enjoy them.

M: Heavy, sticky, flabby...

D: I've read a few other reviews of this beer that address this beer's sweetness, but few have given the score to back it up. I am fairly open minded to the flavors a beer can /should posses, but this is just a mess. Avoid at all cost.

1.97/5  rDev -38.1%

Sample with #1 and #2. Taster glass.

A - Thing white foam, wispy cap, thin collar, spotty lace. Transparent dark brown body. Why is this filtered when the others aren't?

S - Alcohol, dark fruits, candi sugar, oaky vanilla, grape juice, a slightly earhty note, and barbaric cloying sweetness. Combines all the elements of #1 and #2 that I didn't like.

T - Taste is slightly better, but still quite bad. Alcohol, oak, cheap port, grain. Something has gone terribly awry - the component parts were much better than the resulting blend.

M - Low carbonation, thick, viscous, full body, definite alcohol heat.

D - This is by far the worst of the three beers - impressively bad blend that evokes largadeer's finest cuvées. Why did it take nearly two years for them to make this after the first two releases?

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

2.06/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

2.08/5  rDev -34.6%

22 oz. Bomber poured into a Dogfish Head Snifter

Pours a 1/8” cap which quickly disappears, leaving a nonexistent head, very deep dark amber color

Wow! This is really bizarre but the first thing I smell is the distinct aroma of smoked meat (bacon), followed by thick smelling malt. I know that this is strange, but it is the best that I can do, never encountered anything like this before! The smoked smell hangs from beginning to end, unfortunately.

Rather sweet entry in the mouth, followed by rich thick syrupy malt, no noticeable hops here at all. The high ABV of 11% is completely buried by the flavor profile of this ale. Huge body, very full, from the intense malting and high ABV. I have to say that this ale is completely unbalanced, for lack of any hops and extremely light acidity. There is not a single flavor here that is appealing, sorry STBC.

I have had a few of this breweries offerings and have liked them all. I purchased this without any prior information because of the producer and the fact that it was oak aged. I don’t know what they were trying for here but it’s not for me or anyone else that I can think of. I am no stranger to “over the top brews”, in fact I search them out, but this is one for the books. Very hard to find anything to like about this except a totally different, if not very good experience. This bottle was not oxidized as some reading this may assume, I know that taste in beer and wine. I have to admit that I dumped this ale, something I cannot recall doing for at least 20 years. I have to say WTF was this!

2.14/5  rDev -32.7%

Pours a golden ruby color with a small watery white head.

Overwhelming cane sugar and caramel malt. Very faint cherry
aroma is there as well.

Taste is as sugary sweet as the nose suggests. Also get some tobacco, leather and some hints of vanilla. Seems like the oak is gone.

Mouthfeel was on the thicker side with little carbonation.

Reminds me of one of their big stouts minus any redeeming qualities. One the worst beers I've had this year. I couldn't choke this down but the sink had no trouble finishing his 17oz portion. Came in a fancy box and had a shiny label so I had higher hopes for this one;o(

2.16/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.21/5  rDev -30.5%

Shaker pint, then snifter.

A -- Deep amber/copper color with next to no head

S - smells sweet and rich

T -- cloyingly sweet...Phenomenally out-of-control sweetness that masked anything and everything else. I tried....I really did. I had crackers, I tasted it at various temps...just dizzying, phlegm-inducing sweetness.

M -- full, with low carbonation

D -- I'm certain to be an outlier, but sweet to the point of drain pour. I should have paid more attention to the owner's body language when I asked how it was...and definitely should have gotten a sample before ordering one. If you like Wild Blue, or white zin, have a go...

2.23/5  rDev -29.9%

On tap at terrace taproom.

A- small fizz of off white head on arrival that settles quickly leaving only a small wisp on top. Dark bronze orange brown in color with a nice glow to it.

S- sweet caramel and toffee and lots of them. Small vanilla oaky touch and light fruity flair.

T- super sweet with loads of caramel and toffee just too much really. The oak doesn't make to big of an impression. Bits of sweet candied fruits and vanilla. Slight hints of wheat bread at times.

M- on the fuller side of medium in body with a light carb. Not really any hint of the abv but its almost needs it how sweet it is.

D- way to sweet completely over powering. Not one ill try again.

2.25/5  rDev -29.2%

2.25/5  rDev -29.2%

2.46/5  rDev -22.6%

Pours an effervescent orange with a slight tan head that fizzles quickly. Minimal head retention & zero lacing

S: Rich cherry & fig notes, the only redeeming feature of this offering

T: Figs, cinnamon, canned pears, & candied orange slices with some cayenne pepper thrown in up front. Cherry Brandy notes as this warms, with booze heat, plus raisins, but none of this really works in harmony, maybe too much oak aging??? Sooo many things wrong here. Finishes beyond cloying, with raisins, cherries & cut-rate pineapple juice

MF: Still carbonation, slick, a touch hot

This is still a mess, glad I got to try it, suprised I did not drain pour it, avoid! Can't believe ST put this clunker out...

Edit, I did drain pour about half of this

2.5/5  rDev -21.4%