Love Belgian Beer?

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Added by riversider76 on 04-05-2009

Reviews: 274 | Ratings: 644
2.13/5  rDev -37.9%

Picked up a sixpack two weeks ago, I am reviewing a bottle of this eco-minded beer now in honor of the fact that I just rewired a lamp to go from halogen to compact fluorescent.

Pale yellow / gold, piddly head. Very slight haze. I liked the packaging with ideas for going green-er.

Hardly any smell at all. Faint euro hops and a bit of pale malt? No wheat.

More on the plain pale ale side of things. A minimal grassy hop presence with a skunky bitter finish. Moderately sweet malts, if I concentrated really carefully I could probably find some wheat characteristics in here but I'm afraid I'll sprain something.

Watery mouthfeel, medium carbonation, works fine for the style.

Every bottle I've had screams "Heineken" at me. Hardly any wheat and nothing much pleasant. What a great idea, an Earth-awareness beer... but this one flops, and that's coming from someone who likes Southern Tier and ordinarily loves this style.

2.3/5  rDev -32.9%

Not sure how this got in my fridge...extra maybe?

12oz. brown bottle poured into an imperial pint.

A: Pours a pale straw yellow, good clarity. Very small head forms and dies fast. No lacing.

S: Some obvious wheat, grainy and a bit tart. A bit of corn. No hops to speak of.

T/M: Again, the obvious wheat but with a bit of cereal grain flavor. And again, corn, and it's pretty obvious. A bit of tartness from the wheat and a bit husky. A light metallic flavor in the back as it warms. Body is medium light to light with decent carbonation and a drying feel.

D: Just not a good enough beer to want to drink.

2.3/5  rDev -32.9%

This beer recently got taken out of year round rotation so I hope it's not too old. Relatively clear golden hue with no head to speak of. Smells of lightly buttered biscuit and dried bread with a touch of wheat.

Pretty bland. Rounded out mouthfeel at least. Flavor profile is much like the nose, subtle, somewhat buttery, whispy, some sour lemon grass. Extremely clean and well rounded. Could work well in the summer as the flavor gets a bit bolder with each sip. But nothing exciting.

2.33/5  rDev -32.1%

Not my favorite. Poured flat with very little head, which quickly disappeared. Color was a pale opaque orangish-yellow. No carbonation to speak of. Hint of hops and the slightest touch of lemon. The only thing that I liked about this beer is the fact that I only had one.....

2.34/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Date tasted: July 5, 2013... Glassware: weizen glass... Occasion: tasting Orioles late-game defeat--blown save #6 for JJ....Appearance: golden, hazy pilsner-type body with a pleasant white head that clouds slightly along the glass... Aroma: tart pungent, skunkish doughy malts/yeasts--too old? no light wheat is present... Palate: flattened, smooth base that is drinkable but not vivid or appealing... Taste: a tart acidity claws at the beer's flavor; high suspicion it is too old to be an accurate rating--or is it just too malty?... Overall: a malty, yeasty ale that has surprisingly audacious backbone--and understandably, in need of some flavoring (a lemon?) to create a more balanced, more engaging beer....

2.38/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed 4/9/09

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a 16oz pint glass. Firm pour conjures a scant 1/8 inch head that falls to skim very quickly. No lace. Color is a clear very pale yellow, like a weak lemonade.

Nose- Very bland, no distinguishing characteristics.

Taste- Bland, mildly dry. Faint hop bitters in the finish, faint sweetness. Some mildly floral notes. I really thought this was going be more of a play on a hefe or a Belgian white.

Mouthfeel- Very active, and mildly dry.

Drinkability- Session ale low on taste.

2.41/5  rDev -29.7%

Pours a yellowish-golden color from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass, one finger of head that fades quickly.

Aroma is weak, can only really pick up wheat and a little bit of citrus, maybe lemon.

Taste is bland. Only flavor is a diluted wheat taste.

Mouthfeel was decent, well carbonated, but no spice to tantalize the tastebuds.

Beer is light and crisp, thus highly drinkable. The lack of flavor works in favor of drinkability, since it is bland enough that drinking a six-pack would be no large feat.

Overall, pass. Wish I hadn't bought a whole 6-er

2.44/5  rDev -28.9%

After reviewing the Southern Tier Creme Brulee, I visited the Surly Girl Saloon, a quality southwestern comfort food eatery in my beloved Columbus, Ohio, to partake in my next Southern Tier experience. I saw the 422 tap handle and ordered up a pint of Southern Tier's 422 Pale Wheat Ale. The 422 is a "session" beer (5.0 ABV), but I did expect some great flavor, just not that diesel bite.

The first thing I noticed when the waitress set the glass on the table was its clarity. I expected a little fog in the glass of this wheat beer, but it was as clear as a cheap domestic light lager. It did have a slightly creamy one-finger head that stuck around a while, but it had some slight undefined lacing rings as I sipped.

I can say that there was no nose to this brew at all. I may as well have been sniffing an empty glass. Maybe a subtle smell of hops prevailed, but definitely no hint of citrus or malt as expected of a pale or wheat ale. Without even taking a sip I asked the waitress if maybe she poured a Pabst's by mistake, but there was no mistake.

Besides some subtle carbonation differences, the 422 tasted pretty much like a run-of-the-mill mass produced lager. I was extremely disappointed to say the least. I could have paid one third of what I did for some happy hour hooch. I could detect a little sweetness, albeit very little, and a slightly hoppier finish than a typical watering hole beer. The 422 is very bland. Where the wheat was I have no idea.

The consistency of the head was the most appealing part of the mouthfeel. Once the head had dissipated, the 422 was very thin and cheap-feeling. This may very well have been the intent of Southern Tier being a session ale, but I expected a little more viscosity.

The 422 is about as drinkable as a Budweiser, if that is what I am looking for. It's a session ale without that yeasty nose and flavor, which is replaced by a very subtle sweetness and a light hop bitter nibble. The 422 is a great brew to complement a meal when the beer isn't supposed to be the focus. It's not for those looking to be hopped out of your mind or looking to put the pedal to the metal with a high octane after burn, but it's not intimidating to the novice and impossible to hate for the connoisseur who knows what to expect.

Side note: Southern Tier brews the 422 in commemoration of Earth Day as the bottles are packaged in 80% recycled materials.

2.47/5  rDev -28%

Poured two cold 12oz. into my Dortmunder Boot.

Pour - hazy light amber with hues of gold. Bright pour that clouds a bit once settled. Head is smooth with medium-large bubbles. Hangs around for alittle but I think that has more to do with the boot than with the brew.

Nose - earthy, organic sweetness in the smell. Very delicate and very light. Almost no hops on the nose.

Taste - yikes. Im trying not to compare it to other beers as a way of defining its taste, but things like keystone light and steel city come to mind. It has an earthy feel - like grass - with notes of pine and sour orange juice. Delicate flavor that hints at a light adjunct lager with corn mixed in. This taste is confusing - is it trying to be minimalist, or is it just swill??

Mouthfeel - smooth, light body with balanced carbonation. Sweet aftertaste with little or no bite. This is a mass produced pale with a bohem label slapped on the bottle.

Drinkability - honestly not bad but I cant help but feel deceived by this beer. Is my moral judgment getting in the way of enjoying this?

2.47/5  rDev -28%

Allright...I hate doing this, but I have to report on a less favorable brew from one of my favorite breweries. Keep in mind as you read this that we all have different tastes and preferences. I prefer beers that hit straight on with distinguishing characteristics. For those of you who enjoy wheat and light beers, this one is for you!

The beer pours a very hazy, honey colored ale which is very lightly carbonated with little to no head. On the nose I get hints of wheat and citrus which dancing around the aroma of a clean hay barn. In the mouth, I get exactly what the beer is. It's like someone has taken some fresh, green wheat and has made a light carbonated tea with a hint of hops and alcohol. If this is what Southern Tier was going for, they hit it!

Bottom line.... The packaging is loaded with all sorts of celebrations of Earth Day, recycling, etc.... I believe that this brew matches it's packaging perfectly. Try it - maybe you'll enjoy this "green" brew!

2.5/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

poured into several glasses: perfect pint, tulip, snifter, shaker, weizen glass. (6 pack :) )

any way i poured it, it was a little hazy gold with a moderate white head that fades fast. not much to look at, and not colored like i like my wheats, to pale ale.

smells a bit wheaty, but not enough, some traces of fruit, but again, just not enough. not representing wheats well.

taste is a bit more bready then the smell, and sweet, but nothing exciting. just doesnt cut it as a pale ale or a wheat ale.

light body with ok carb, best part about it was just that it was in eco friendly packaging

2.5/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle poured into a tulip shaped glass.

A: Dull gold color. The very thin head quickly dissipates.

S: Wheat, some lemony citrus. I had to try really hard to pick up the nose on this.

T: Wheat, lemon, a touch of honey

M: Light and fizzy

Not impressed. Kind of bland for my taste.

2.53/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a semi cloudy pale orange color. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes quickly into sparse lacing. The aroma is of tangy wheat, but it is very faint. The taste is similar to the aroma. Some wheaty notes, but not much else. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation especially for a wheat beer. Overall, this beer is severely lacking. I will not be drinking this again.

2.55/5  rDev -25.7%

Poured into standard pint glass
Cloudy gold in color with a thin dissapating head
Aroma-Subtle wheat, grassy
Taste- Light-bodied, faint, faint hops and grass.
Not a whole lot going on here, has the clean almost empty finish of a light macrobrew.
Overall, not very impressive, but I suppose it could be a decent hot-weather beer

2.58/5  rDev -24.8%

A: Pours a bright golden yellow with a finger of head. Some residual lacing.

S: Light smell of wheat and barley. Bit of honey.

T: Bit of muted wheat, some barley. A bit of an aftertaste that I can't quite place, but it doesn't strike my fancy.

M: Fairly light but much carbonation. Not bad.

D: I can maybe see this one on a hot summer day, but right now I am not feeling it.

2.63/5  rDev -23.3%

A= Pours a crystal clear golden color. Looks a lot like some light honey with a small half finger head on it that is a perfect white color and holds some average retention and spotty lacing.

S= A lot of wheaty grains and a little skunkyness maybe? Grainy sort of with a really light citrus hop aroma to it.

T= The taste isn't really that impressive. Not a ton of a wheaty flavor in it. Sort of light and grainy without it being wheaty. There is more hop spicyness than I expected. Sort of tastes like an American Adjunct Lager. Really sort of unimpressive.

M= Clean and crisp. Light taste and goes down like water.

D= Pretty good drinkability. I don't know how much I would want to drink but I could drink a bunch. Really an unimpressive wheat.

2.72/5  rDev -20.7%

Single, twelve-ouncer copped from Joe Canal's in Lawrenceville... Was rather dissapointed with this pale wheat ale from southern tier - a New York brewery I typically associate with special, one-of-a-kind beers... Bitter, non-flavorful, and tasteless... Not impressed at all...

2.73/5  rDev -20.4%

Served in a bottle at Wood'n'tap out on the patio on a nice Sunny day.

A - A glowing yellow color with nice frail white head.

S - WHEATGRASS

T - Wheatgrass mixed with lemon.

M - Dry grainy crisp mouth feel.

D - Couldn't finish the 12oz bottle.

2.75/5  rDev -19.8%

For some reason the mood struck me to by a mixed 12 pack. I decided on the Southern Tier. This is the first beer i'm sampling from the mixed pack.

Poured into a tulip glass. Straw yellow with lots of carbonation bubbles. Crystal clear with a thin and quickly dissipating white head.

Smell is spicey and clove like with some touches of granny smith apples.

Taste is watery. Make that extremely watery. The flavor reminds of a sour apple jolly rancher only sweeter.

Mouthfeel is light and watery. Fresh and clean but extremely light bodied.

Drinkability is average. I put this one only a notch or two above the adjunct lagers out there. As much as i love Southern Tier this one is lame! I'll use the old cliche that this is a lawnmower beer through and through. I really cannot recommend this beer to anyone.

2.78/5  rDev -19%

This was my first ever Southern Tier beer. Given the description as a light very sessionable beer--I wasn't expecting much. And I didn't get much in return.

It's a pleasant beer. Pours and looks like a VERY light ale--but the smell is virtually non existent and it has the consistency almost of a pilsner. I would liken it to a hoppy pils--such as Noble or Prima.

It's certainly not a bad beer and I think it is indeed very sessionable. It just depends on what you are looking for. I probably wouldn't buy it again but I would get it on tap somewhere if there were no better options.

2.8/5  rDev -18.4%

Enjoyed in a pint glass

A: Pours a very light yellow color that is only slightly hazy. pours with a very small amount of white head that is gone before I can even put the glass down. leaves a small amount of lacing
S: bright scent, lemons and also herbs or even grass
T: bright taste, very light, lemony taste with very slight wheat taste
M: strong carbonation, smooth, leaves a lingering brightness on the palate.
O: a decent brew, nothing outstanding, everything is pretty much middle of the road

2.82/5  rDev -17.8%

355ml bottle. ½ Pint glass. Enjoyed on jun´12. Pale straw color, chill haze appearance. White, brief froth. Slightly bready touch, herbal & yeasty aromas. Crispy bitter upfront, oily & buttery. Subtle hints of banana & ripe melon. Quite flat mouthfeel. Moderate to heavy carbonation, medium body.

2.83/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours BMC pale yellow with a finger of head. No smell to speak of, even when I put my entire face into the glass.

Tastes like any mass-produced pale lager with a hint of wheat taste. This just doesn't taste like anything special. It isn't necessarily a bad beer, but at the same time I can't really call it good either. Not terribly expensive, but I would call it over-priced for what is essentially lawnmower beer. This should come in a 30-pack for under $20.

2.83/5  rDev -17.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a standard pint.

A - Vibrant yellow. A bit hazy but some light can be seen through. Small head which dissipates quickly.

S - Some bready yeast smell accompanied by some citrus and flowers. Boring and unimpressive.

T - A bit of wheat followed by tart lemon, grass, and yeast. The flavors are very light, making it very easy drinking.

M - Nothing out of the ordinary. Decent carbonation and thin feel.

O - Very average beer. It is very sessionable and would be refreshing in the summer. Probably not one I will get again.

2.87/5  rDev -16.3%

pours clear gold with a 2 finger white head that fades fast and left no lacing

smell was wheat and some fruit??? and malt

taste was alot like a lager it wasnt bad but just not what this style should taste like - now if this was in the lager cat. it would be a solid 4 in flavor

mouthfeel - ??? this beer was way to heavy - not the light refreshing crisp beer it should be

drinkability is so so - but in the end to me this is no more then a full flavored lager that is $10 a sixer - i am just glad i got one in a mix six - but never again unless its free

422 Pale Wheat Ale from Southern Tier Brewing Company