Mokah | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

As scientists, our brewers utilize their materials to exacting standards. As artists, they couldn’t resist the temptation to combine two of our highly acclaimed Blackwater Series Imperial Stouts: Jahva and Choklat. Alone each is perfect, but together as Mokah they are an inimitable expression of two of the world’s most sought after flavors. Enjoy Mokah stout with – or as – your favorite dessert!

Added by DrinkinBuddy on 04-20-2009

Ratings: 2,318 |  Reviews: 744

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I guess I'm biased but this is still one of my favorite beers. I bought a bottle at Wegman's (local grocery store). It cost only $7.99 for the bomber bottle which i thought was reasonable for an imperial beer that does a fine job of combining chocolate and coffee flavors. I haven't had one for a few years so I thought I'd try it though I wondered would it be as good. I was not disappointed, however.

Out of the bottle i had a knock your socks off aroma of chocolate. The coffee aroma was there though not as strong as the chocolate. It poured up a nice thick tan head with retention average. The wonderful aroma just won't die and keeps coming out of the glass. I wish they sold this flavor in air fresheners!

Carbonation spot on for this beer. Full body, slightly "chewy", ending with an warm alcohol sensation, not surprising for an 11.2% beer. Flavor profile includes the chocolate and coffee flavors, and some caramel.

I have had both the Jahva and Choklat separately and feel I prefer the mix to either. Profile starts out really smooth then the alcohol hits, then a slight "roastiness", a fairly clean finish. Definitely on the "sweet side", not hoppy, to be enjoyed as a "dessert beer". But not too sweet I hasten to mention. I would consider purchasing a case of this beer.

p.s. I detected a flavor close to vanilla. I didn't want to mention it at first since it wasn't listed in the ingredients but i thought it was there and I see now some other people picked the flavor out as well so there you have it. A secret ingredient? A known mellowing/smoothing agent? Could be. Stranger things have happened in the beer world!

Mokah from Southern Tier Brewing Company